Start by marking “Erfgenaam van zee en vuur (Morgon van Hed, #2)” as Want to Read:
Erfgenaam van zee en vuur (Morgon van Hed, #2)

Erfgenaam van zee en vuur (Riddle-Master #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  5,253 ratings  ·  95 reviews
Gebonden door haar vaders gelofte, bij haar geboorte gedaan, is prinses Raederle van An voorbestemd te trouwen met diegene, die kans ziet de kroon van de koningen van Aum te veroveren door de vijf honderd jaar oude schim van Peven, Heer van Aum, te verslaan in een raadselspel. Morgen van Hed, raadselmeester van het college te Caithnard, verslaat Peven in diens sombere tore ...more
Published 1986 by Sirius en Siderius (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Erfgenaam van zee en vuur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Erfgenaam van zee en vuur

McKillip pulled off a real coup with this book. The first one was told from the typical male hero POV & it was excellent. Instead of keeping that same POV, she switches to another character, a strong woman at that. Fantastic, especially given the time. Off hand, I can't think of another trilogy that did this & certainly not so well. It allows her to fill in the world & develop characters that rounds everything out. It also puts a real point on the love interest & drives it in dee ...more
The ‘Heir of Sea and Fire’ is perhaps my favorite fantasy book of all. (‘The Forgotten Beasts of Eld’ is serious competition for title.) It is a little unusual for the second book of a trilogy to be the strongest, but that is the case here. I found the book richer, faster paced, and more vivid than the first book in the trilogy (or the third). It takes your deeper into the world and shows you more of its secrets—and its bones.

Then there is Raederle (“the second most beautiful woman of An”), sur
More of a 4.5 than a 4 (out of five). McKillip's writing, I believe, improved since "The Riddlemaster of Hed," though also did some small part of the mysteriousness. One of the brilliant aspects of the first part of the trilogy, for me, was the acuteness that McKillip's writing found in the abstract and the wordless and although this novel got at some very interesting aspects of the world, I don't think it was as effective as the original. Still, Raederle came out to be a very interesting charac ...more
I think I liked this more than the first, but ohhh, I did think I'd like this trilogy more and I'm sad I don't. The writing isn't quite clicking and I feel like some of the story telling is too subtle for me, like I'm missing stuff. (view spoiler)
Robert Beveridge
Patricia A. McKillip, Heir of Sea and Fire(Ace, 1977)

McKillip's follow-up to The Riddle-Master of Hed somewhat surprisingly avoid the middle-novel-of-the-trilogy doldrums, which is a welcome change from most fantasy trilogies, and it does so in a somewhat novel way; rather than continuing on with the story of Morgon, the hero of the first novel, McKillip focuses on Raederle, Princess of An and Morgon's betrothed, who sets out to find out what happened to Morgon at the end of the first book. (As
Sheryl Tribble
A friend of mine in high school loaned me The Riddle Master of Hed, which I devoured rapidly and then demanded he loan me the next one. Heir of Sea and Fire also ended on a cliff hanger, and when I demanded the third, my friend blithely replied, "It isn't out yet. I needed someone else to suffer with me."

I Was Enraged. Then I pulled the same stunt on my sister, because I am evil.

Finishing it this time, my response was more a puzzled, "Huh. That isn't much of a cliffhanger." Different ages, diff
Ryan Middlebrook
Mar 12, 2015 Ryan Middlebrook rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teen fantasy reader
Recommended to Ryan by: audible
Shelves: fantasy, series, novels
The continuation of the Riddle-Master trilogy, Heir of Sea and Fire, gets going with a little more steam than the first book of the series did. That selection, The Riddle-Master of Hed, just seems to lag from the beginning and only developed a decent pace more than halfway through. This was not the case with this book. The pace starts steady and builds throughout to not a dramatic conclusion, but at least, a fitting one.

The heir mentioned in the title is Raederle, the promised bride of Morgon, t
As far as faults go (might as well start with the bad), this book suffered from the same strange malady I remembered from the first book - there were, occasionally, scenes that I just couldn't make sense of. A paragraph or three that I would read three or four times then finally shrug and move on. These odd patches of editorial failure felt like I was missing a sentence, or even a paragraph. Like the author got lost in the richness of her words for a bit and forgot to fill in the blanks, and the ...more
Matthew Galloway
Sometimes I have to leave modern fantasy behind for a bit and lose myself in an older one -- where things are sometimes simpler, usually less concerned with overt "realness" of experience and yet, despite that, speak to real life more powerfully anyway. Yes, much of the danger in the book has more to do with emotion or identity and other internal struggles than all the blood and gore and sudden shocking character deaths of many popular modern fantasies, but it means a lot more to me. I think mos ...more
Amanda Kespohl
I'm on book three right now and so far, I love these books beyond reason. I want to pull each of the characters out of the pages and hug them, then release them to go back about their business. This world is so beautiful and complex and rich that I could not stop turning the pages, even though I never wanted the books to end.

I'll do a more detailed write-up once I'm done with book three, but honestly, it would take a mighty plot catastrophe to make me change my opinion now. Basically, to make m
Stephanie Herron
With the Riddle-master trilogy just become available on kindle I re-read all three (The Riddle Master of Hed, Heir of Sea and Fire and Harpist in the Wind. I first read these books back in the 1970s and they, together with (inevitably) the Lord of the Rings, are largely responsible for my starting to read fantasy. It is now many years since I read these books as they are in storage in NZ while I work in Africa, so I was delighted to find them available as e-books and then even more delighted to ...more
Vote: 3,75
Class: L-A2 (FP)

(second book of the Riddlemaster Trilogy)

The first book was an enjoyable reading and little more and in this one it's slowly getting better: it's not that this is not a good Epic Fantasy, but... it's not in the same league of the great classics of the High Fantasy.

The world (3,50) is a fantasy world well built but it lacks... normality: when more than half the people we meet are several centuries (at least) old or are shape-shifter or are several years dead (but somewh
The character of Raederle of An is not very well fleshed out in the first volume of this trilogy. She's seen in people's memories, mostly as a hopelessly romanticized object of desire, a sort of princess on a hill of glass type.

That's remedied in this volume almost from the first line: "In Spring, three things came inevitably to the house of the King of An: the first shipment of Herun wine, the Lords of the Three Portions for the Spring Council, and an argument."

It's not amazing that Raederle w
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Feb 17, 2012 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of High Fantasy
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: A Reader's Guide to Fantasy: Seven-League Shelf
Heir of Sea and Fire is the second book of the Riddle-Master Trilogy, and I liked it even more than the first book, The Riddle-Master of Hed. The trilogy was recommended on the "Seven-League Shelf" of the "cream" of the fantasy genre. It's fairly standard high-fantasy in being set in a quasi-medieval or renaissance setting of lords and swords with shapeshifters, wizards and ghosts. Morgon of Hed is a Farmer Prince and Riddle-master. In the first book we learn that he'd won a riddle-game that won ...more
Paul Fergus
An improvement over the first book, mainly because the protagonist is better developed and has more agency. The author finally has control of her writing style such that she can begin to let her ideas flow into the text with real imagination.

What surprised and delighted me was that this is a kind of girls' camping trip style of adventure. The main character decides to find out what happened to the man she was promised in marriage to, and brings along both the man's little sister and a warrioress
Jul 11, 2013 Audrey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Audrey by: Beth, Quark
I'll try to do a more thorough review of this volume, but it's still highly subjective and less for others to get a sense of the book and more for me to have a record of what I thought upon reading it for the first time.

I'll caution you against spoilers in this review. If you haven't read the book, you may want to skip over it.

With that out of the way, I loved it. One of the main reasons I loved it? Raederle

From the first or second page, I loved her. I can't even say exactly what it was, but m
This second book of the Riddle-Master trilogy develops Raederle, promised in marriage to Morgon of Hed of the first book. However no one has seen hide nor hair of his Hed-ship, so worrying he may have lost his Hed, Raederle Heds off to look for him. Although she is not a part of any prophecy, Readerle finds her ancestry of kings and witches has gifted her with more power than she knew. Terrible, Dark Power with a Price. (sorry, I'm feeling a bit goofy.)

Seriously, this is a bit of a coming-of-ag
Karen Heuler
I love how magic works in this book--especially the winding of threads. It's thoughtful and no Disney wrist-waving with sparkles. Good stuff. And this is a book about a strong heroine committed to finding her husband-to-be, committed to finding the answer. Yet it didn't grab me totally. I lost some interest as I went along, and I think it's because of all the constant harassment, stress, fighting, etc. She seemed to be in a wheel with spokes that just kept spinning at her.
Aug 04, 2008 Catherine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone.
Heir of Sea and Fire is the second book in Patricia McKillip's Riddle of Stars trilogy. In this book, we follow the exploits of Morgon the Prince of Hed's beloved Raederle, his sister, Tristan, and Lyraluthuin of Herun as they try to find out what happened to Morgon on his journey to see the High One. Although I typically don't care for trilogies that leave the main character I learned to love in the first book hanging, I enjoyed Heir of Sea and Fire almost as much as the Riddle Master of Hed fo ...more
this the 2nd book in the trilogy really picks up and i thoroughly enjoyed the read. Could be cause the main characters this time round were the women in the book and they where headstrong and very capable. love raederle, tristan and lyra and hope they continue to feature strongly in the 3rd and final book!! love the shapeshifting element especially when morgon turns into a vesta as well as into trees!! must be such a great experience!!
Ryan Mueller
I really enjoyed this book. McKillip is a talented writer, and she manages to weave a tale that feels epic without the lengthy page count you see in so many other fantasy novels. Since this is a classic, many of its themes and ideas have been copied again and again. That probably reduced my enjoyment of it a bit, but it isn't the author's fault that others have recycled some of the ideas she used.

I actually think I liked this one better than the first book. I preferred the main character in this
I had to downgrade my old rating of 5 stars on this one. I'm not sure I've ever done that. While I still found The Riddle-Master of Hed to be worthy of 5 stars, re-reading the second book in the series some 20 years after my last previous read, I just didn't enjoy Heir of Sea and Fire as much as I remembered.

In fact, I'd forgotten almost all the details of this second book. And sadly, it was rather boring. I know it's about Raederle discovering her own powers as she searches for Morgan, but ...
Having reread the first book in this trilogy earlier this month, I couldn't wait to read the next book. This one takes place after the first and is from the perspective of the sister of Morgan's best friend and the woman he inadvertently won for marriage in the previous book. Morgan has been missing and Raederle takes it into her head to follow him to the High King. Along the way she makes new friends (characters from the 1st book) and learns about her own heritage and powers.

The relationship b
Roger Ladd
This book avoids the traditional sequel problem with a shift in protagonists, from Morgon of Hed to Raederle of An, his betrothed. The shift to a focus on a different gender works for the most part (including a fairly amusing 'Princess-palooza' sequence in the middle as Raederle acquires two other princesses along the way). As a second book in a trilogy, this novel resolves very few questions; it mostly adds more complications to the scenario set up in the first novel. It certainly takes one bac ...more
The Riddlemaster series by McKillip is amazing. They're among the few books I've read that I remember as a place I've been rather than a story I read. Highly recommended.
Jim Razinha
The 35 year old shine wore off quickly with the sequel. I was far less engaged with this one. I'll put a little temporal distance between it and the last of the trilogy.
Just as good as the first one. Such a rare feat for a second in a series. I loved having a heroine's perspective instead of the damaged hero. Loved it so much.
I liked the protagonist of this book more than in the previous, but boy did it drag.
This is the weakest of the three, but what starts out as Raederle's attempt to find Morgon becomes instead an attempt to find herself. It is almost an interlude in the overall story, but without it, we can't get to the end.
  • High Deryni (The Chronicles of the Deryni #3)
  • Tea with the Black Dragon (Black Dragon, #1)
  • Dragonsbane (Winterlands #1)
  • Delusion's Master (Flat Earth, #3)
  • Dervish Daughter (Jinian, #2)
  • Master of the Five Magics
  • The Warlock in Spite of Himself (Warlock Series, #1)
  • Gate of Ivrel (Morgaine & Vanye, #1)
  • The Compleat Enchanter
  • Thieves' World (Thieves' World, #1)
Patricia Anne McKillip is an American author of fantasy and science fiction novels, distinguished by lyrical, delicate prose and careful attention to detail and characterization. She is a past winner of the World Fantasy Award and Locus Award, and she lives in Oregon. Most of her recent novels have cover paintings by Kinuko Y. Craft. She is married to David Lunde, a poet.

According to Fantasy Book
More about Patricia A. McKillip...

Riddle-Master (3 books)
  • The Riddle-Master of Hed (Riddle-Master, #1)
  • Harpist in the Wind (Riddle-Master, #3)
Riddle-Master: The Complete Trilogy (Riddle-Master, #1-3) The Forgotten Beasts of Eld The Riddle-Master of Hed (Riddle-Master, #1) Harpist in the Wind (Riddle-Master, #3) Winter Rose (Winter Rose, #1)