Boat of Longing

Boat of Longing

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Chronicles the experiences of a sensitive young Norwegian immigrant to Minnesota and deals with the human cost of immigration. The book sharply contrasts a poetic vision of the homeland with the stark reality of life among the poor in Minneapolis in the 1910s.
Published May 15th 1985 by Minnesota Historical Society Press (first published January 2nd 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Boat of Longing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boat of Longing

Thechicgeek
O.E. Rolvaag has spoiled me. I read Giants in the Earth and now The Boat of Longing. Rolvaag's writing is just so incredibly rich, compelling, poetic and beautiful, that so many books pale in comparison. His titles are apt to him....He is a Giant and he keeps you Longing for more.
This is a story of a young Norwegian immigrant that comes to America seeking his fortune. Rolvaag, once again, weaves a delicious tale full of imagery, emotion, folklore, human relationships and love. Love for one's ho...more
Mary
Dark. Boat of Longing symbolizes death and is seen mystically and various times throughout the book. Begins in Norway and continues in Minneapolis in the 1800's. It reminds me of signs of death, i.e., seeing friends and family who have already died. Those dying see and reach for the dead. Throughout the book Rolvaag compares the idealized life Norwegians thought they would find in America and the reality of daily life. Note: Rolvaag was a professor at St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN.
Rock
This is definitely the best of the five or so books I've read about Scandinavian immigration to the upper midwest. It could be because the urban setting matches my own experience better, but I also appreciated the mythological themes, Rolvaag's complex characterization, and impressionistic nature scenes (although these last can be overwrought and oblique sometimes).
Jean Carlton
I loved this book. A look at the experience of the parents whose children head to America....the pain, the longing. The experiences of both sides of the situation. It tugged at my heart. Great writing - poignant story.
Marie  Ash-Evans
Another brilliant book by author/professor/immigrant Ole Rolvaag. I highly recommend this book as I do all of his books.
Per O
The saddest book I have read and the most beautiful.
Barbara
Tragic beauty.
Kathleen Daly
Kathleen Daly marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Faith Amaro
Faith Amaro marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
John Breker
John Breker marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
RJ Lackie
RJ Lackie marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Jude
Jude marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Josiphine
Josiphine marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Katja
Katja marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Rozelyn-claire Ferrer
Rozelyn-claire Ferrer marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Kristyn
Kristyn marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Anneberhard
Anneberhard marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Ole Edvart Rølvaag was born in the family's cottage in a small fishing village on the island of Dønna, in the far southern district of Nordland county, Norway. Dønna, one of the largest islands on the northern coast of Norway, is situated about five miles from the Arctic Circle. He was born with the name Ole Edvart Pedersen, one of seven children of Peder Benjamin Jakobsen and Ellerine Pedersdatte...more
More about O.E. Rølvaag...
Giants in the Earth: A Saga of the Prairie Peder Victorious: A Tale of the Pioneers Twenty Years Later Their Fathers' God The Third Life of Per Smevik When The Wind Is In The South And Other Stories