Start by marking “The New Gods” as Want to Read:
The New Gods

The New Gods

„Nimic nu va putea sa-mi scoata din minte ca lumea asta e fructul unui zeu tenebros ce-si prelungeste umbra in mine, si ca misiunea mea este sa duc la ultimele consecinte blestemul ce apasa asupra lui si a operei sale.”

- Emil Cioran
Published March 28th 2013 by University of Chicago Press (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The New Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Gods

Szplug
Feb 09, 2014 Szplug rated it it was amazing
A man does not kill himself, as is commonly supposed, in a fit of madness but rather in a fit of unendurable lucidity, in a paroxysm which may, if so desired, be identified with madness; for an excessive perspicacity, carried to the limit and of which one longs to be rid at all costs, exceeds the context of reason.

The obsession with suicide is characteristic of the man who can neither live nor die, and whose attention never swerves from this double impossibility.

The flesh spreads, further and f
Greg
In light of current events I lost the excitement that this book had for me.

This line towards the end of the book sort of neatly sums up my current feelings on the book:

"In theory, it matters little to me whether I live as whether I die; in practice, I am lacerated by every anxiety which opens an abyss between life and death."
PGR Nair
Jan 24, 2015 PGR Nair rated it it was amazing
EM Corian, the Romanian Philosopher, is perhaps the most pessimistic writer who lures the reader with his iconoclastic thoughts about everything- life, Gods, religion, society and culture. His writings is like that of someone possessed; subversive, demoniacal, anti-inspirational, feverish and finally enchanting. This book is replete with so many lyrical aphorisms that one stays excited and wonder whether is it is a rare combo of art and philosophy. Yet, many of his aphorisms, like that of epitap ...more
Patrick
Jan 29, 2013 Patrick rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People capable of independent thought.
At present, to think of this book is to give myself a screaming headache. I certainly hope to provide a more coherent review someday, but that day is not today and is not likely any time in the immediate future. It is not quite like any book I've ever read before, I can confidently state that. But whether the author is simply a raving maniac or a deeply profound thinker? I can't confidently agree with either assertion. Nor can I disagree with either. And, curiously, I can't help but think Cioran ...more
Bruce
Feb 22, 2014 Bruce rated it liked it
This book presents a philosophy resembling nihilism, with the added thought that "one" (the non-self) should *embrace* the void/nothingness.

The first third of the book is absolutely superb, not that a typical person would agree with much of it, but that it gets you to think about things in a different way. It is not likely to dissuade anyone from their views, in my estimation, but it is good at getting one to explore different modes of thinking.

The middle third attempts to sell the reader on su
Sorin Hadârcă
Dec 18, 2012 Sorin Hadârcă rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un Cioran clasic, chiar dacă surprinzător de budist. Surpinzător? Nimic n-ar trebui să surpindă la acest deziluzionat, poate doar optimismul și credința în ziua de mâine. Atunci l-am atinge ușor de umăr și l-am întreba: „Ce-i cu tine, Emil, te-ai îmbolnăvit?” Mântuit prin ultima frază: „Suntem cu toții pe fundul unui iad unde fiece clipă e un miracol.”
Antonio Delgado
Aug 03, 2016 Antonio Delgado rated it really liked it
The horror of being aware of our skull, the consequences of monotheism and the absurd of the void (including the Buddhist void) are only the surface of Cioran’s pessimism. Cioran is nostalgic for paganism, for multiplicity, for skepticism as a form of liberation from dogmatic life.
Full Stop
Jun 10, 2014 Full Stop added it
Shelves: summer-2013

Review by Michael Schapira

Is Emil Cioran an author to be feared? Is his writing dangerous in some way that should, for example, prevent me from including his aphorisms at the end of group emails? Is this kind of question ridiculous to even ask nowadays, when the more appropriate question would be whether it is possible to take Cioran, or any writer for that matter, seriously enough to feel his threat? I would have thought not, had a classmate not raised th
Denise
Nov 01, 2013 Denise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Apreciez oarecum la Cioran și mi se pare interesant cum, spre deosebire de alți autori, nu te coboară treptat în infern, ci te aruncă direct în Groapa Marianelor fără vreo introducere, apoi te ține acolo... și te ține... și te ține... și te-ai aștepta ca la un moment dat să te readucă măcar până la linia de plutire... dar el te ține acolo... iar în final aruncă un bolovan peste tine și te strivește.

Totuși, am citit autori care pot crea astfel de sentimente și folosind cuvinte mai puțin pompoase,
Schopfi
Jun 20, 2014 Schopfi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The intellectual traditions of early buddhism and katharism may have influenced Cioran, but in accordance with his "unhealthy" skepticism, he leaves behind even these most minimalist ideas of hope.
Letting go even of the concept of letting go, yet still being in the world of desire. Writing - with the knowledge that "nothing counts". This seems to be the central contradiction, from which the tension of his prose is derived.
James
Jan 01, 2015 James rated it it was amazing
"Each being is a broken hymn."

This book, which I gather was one of Cioran's later works (judging by its date) is an interesting examination of Gnostic themes and Dark Buddhism, with loving odes to the "purifying void" and "happy skeletons": the essay "Paleontology" was especially well-written and a joy to read. And it's always nice to see the Bogomils getting a shout-out.

"...don't forget that you are a fugitive assemblage, a composite whose ingredients are only waiting to come apart."
Matthew Leroy
Some chapters better than others, my favorite was the final chapter which consisted of pithy comments that stung at the heart of humanity. Loved how beautiful Cioran writes, and how willing he is to stare in the face of hypocrisy.
Williams
Feb 14, 2016 Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Von Natur aus bin ich jedem Unternehmen gegenüber abweisend, daß ich, um mich zu einem solchen zu entschließen, zuvor in einer Biographie von Alexander oder Dschingis-Khan blättern muss."
Jerome
Jerome rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2012
š
š rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2014
Steve Reinke
Steve Reinke rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
Leezee Lee
Leezee Lee rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2013
Agathangelos
Agathangelos rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2011
Nadia Popescu
Nadia Popescu rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Bernard
Bernard rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2011
Giuseppe Aversano
Giuseppe Aversano rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2013
Brian Hohman
Brian Hohman rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2014
Saskia
Saskia rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2012
Asentior
Asentior rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2010
Danilo Ippoliti
Danilo Ippoliti rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Iraida
Iraida rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2015
Alexandra Ale
Alexandra Ale rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2017
Varlan Georgian
Varlan Georgian rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2013
Hopp-Frosch
Hopp-Frosch rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
  • The Basis of Morality
  • Tranquility
  • Breviario del caos
  • Jurnal filozofic
  • Five Faces of Modernity: Modernism, Avant-garde, Decadence, Kitsch, Postmodernism
  • The Causes of the Civil War
  • The Islamist Phoenix: The Islamic State (ISIS) and the Redrawing of the Middle East
  • Ușa Interzisă (The Forbidden Door)
  • Manufacturing Depression: The Secret History of a Modern Disease
  • Kieslowski on Kieslowski
  • Thoughts
  • Apologie de Socrate/Criton
Born in 1911 in Rășinari, a small village in the Carpathian Mountains of Romania, raised under the rule of a father who was a Romanian Orthodox priest and a mother who was prone to depression, Emil Cioran wrote his first five books in Romanian. Some of these are collections of brief essays (one or two pages, on average); others are collections of aphorisms. Suffering from insomnia since his adoles ...more
More about Emil M. Cioran...

“Only those moments count, when the desire to remain by yourself is so powerful that you'd prefer to blow your brains out than exchange a word with someone.” 171 likes
“To look for a meaning in anything is less the act of a naif than of a masochist.” 11 likes