Cat's Cradle

Cat's Cradle

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In the hands of Chieko Okazaki an ordinary scrap of string evolves into a delightful cat's cradle pattern. With equal expertise and enthusiasm she radiates her testimony of the brightness of hope that the gospel brings.
A bumper sticker she quotes could well be a summary of this collection of addresses. 'Hard-hat construction area: christian under construction'. She adds: '...more
Published by Bookcraft (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Cat's Cradle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat's Cradle

Cindy
Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn of the Navajo Police is looking for an excuse to get out of patrolling a Boy Scout encampment, so he goes looking through some cold case stuff. He finds the file on a double homicide that is still open. As he digs into the case, he is nearly killed by a crazy driver who laughs as he runs him down. And the more he looks, the more several unrelated cases seem to all tie together. Could a terrorist group be hiding out there in desert?

I really like this series. Taken individu...more
Michelle
I read this book slowly, over a period of a few months, picking it up and reading a chapter here and there. (Each chapter is a separate address.) It changed how I think about a lot of things. I found myself thinking about things I had read in it over the weeks and months.

Here are the two main takeaways for me:

1. Celebrate our diversity.
2. Don't judge each other.

I am determined to do a better job at both of these things after reading this book.
Kali
A wonderful self-help book that made me look to serving and befriending others as a means for improving myself. Sometimes the chapters get a little repetitive, or I feel like I'm reading the never-ending conference talk. But on the whole, I was uplifted and really enjoyed it.
Verona
I love Chieko Okazaki's writings, and even more love to hear her speak. She is a captivating speaker, and so fun to listen to. She is a practical person and gives sage advice. She is also a teacher, and I relate to her because I loved to teach as well.
Karen
Dec 31, 2012 Karen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Relief Society Sisters!
This is a slow start...not a page turner. But she is an amazing woman and has a unique way of looking at the church and the gospel. The more I read, the more I like the book.
Amy A.
A good collection of talks by Chieko Okazaki. She was a wonderful speaker/writer, although my favorite book by her is still "Lighten Up".
Cailean
I love Sister Okazaki and this book had a lot of wonderful ideas - especially that we are all connected together much like a cat's cradle.
Maerwhyn
I love Chieko's funny, light tone. She is a wonderful example of how to live through hard things without becoming bitter.
Myra Marangi
This is amazing book for me as I'm working on being the wife I need to be for my husband :-)
Melissa
An uplifting book full of wonderful stories that make you want to be better and do better.
Sheri
I love her insights to life and her personal experiences she shares.
Emily
Nov 22, 2008 Emily added it
Such fun! Granted, its been over 10 years....
Kelly
My favorite of her books!
Alexis Davis
Alexis Davis marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Lori Wright
Lori Wright marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Holly
Holly is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2014
Seth Morin
Seth Morin marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Janine
Janine marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Chieko N. Okazaki was the first non-Caucasian to serve on a general board of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and was a counselor in the general Relief Society presidency from 1990 to 1997. She is the author of several bestselling books and tapes. She and her husband, the late Ed Okazaki, have two sons.
More about Chieko N. Okazaki...
Lighten Up Being Enough Aloha! What a Friend We Have in Jesus Sanctuary