Start by marking “Cat's Cradle” as Want to Read:
Cat's Cradle

Cat's Cradle

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  123 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In the hands of Chieko Okazaki an ordinary scrap of string evolves into a delightful cat's cradle pattern. With equal expertise and enthusiasm she radiates her testimony of the brightness of hope that the gospel brings.
A bumper sticker she quotes could well be a summary of this collection of addresses. 'Hard-hat construction area: christian under construction'. She adds: '
Published by Bookcraft (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Cat's Cradle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat's Cradle

Janet
Sep 28, 2015 Janet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I enjoy her talks so much. It took me a long time to work through this book, one talk at a time. It was a help to me during a stressful and busy time.
Cindy
Feb 27, 2016 Cindy rated it liked it
Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn of the Navajo Police is looking for an excuse to get out of patrolling a Boy Scout encampment, so he goes looking through some cold case stuff. He finds the file on a double homicide that is still open. As he digs into the case, he is nearly killed by a crazy driver who laughs as he runs him down. And the more he looks, the more several unrelated cases seem to all tie together. Could a terrorist group be hiding out there in desert?

I really like this series. Taken individu
Erin
Jan 01, 2016 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, mormon
Every time I read an Okazaki book, I see my model for the kind of Mormon I want to be. I love the way she celebrates diversity and champions inclusion. I love the way she sincerely loves and engages with the scriptures. I love the kind of relationship she has with God. I love the way she sees and treats others. I love her model for service. I love her models for how to respond when you have been marginalized or wronged. This may be my favorite of her books.
Michelle
Sep 14, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I read this book slowly, over a period of a few months, picking it up and reading a chapter here and there. (Each chapter is a separate address.) It changed how I think about a lot of things. I found myself thinking about things I had read in it over the weeks and months.

Here are the two main takeaways for me:

1. Celebrate our diversity.
2. Don't judge each other.

I am determined to do a better job at both of these things after reading this book.
Kali
Jan 21, 2009 Kali rated it really liked it
A wonderful self-help book that made me look to serving and befriending others as a means for improving myself. Sometimes the chapters get a little repetitive, or I feel like I'm reading the never-ending conference talk. But on the whole, I was uplifted and really enjoyed it.
Verona
Jan 23, 2012 Verona rated it really liked it
I love Chieko Okazaki's writings, and even more love to hear her speak. She is a captivating speaker, and so fun to listen to. She is a practical person and gives sage advice. She is also a teacher, and I relate to her because I loved to teach as well.
Karen
Dec 31, 2012 Karen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Relief Society Sisters!
This is a slow start...not a page turner. But she is an amazing woman and has a unique way of looking at the church and the gospel. The more I read, the more I like the book.
Amy A.
Oct 28, 2011 Amy A. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good collection of talks by Chieko Okazaki. She was a wonderful speaker/writer, although my favorite book by her is still "Lighten Up".
Cailean
Jan 24, 2008 Cailean rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-read
I love Sister Okazaki and this book had a lot of wonderful ideas - especially that we are all connected together much like a cat's cradle.
Maerwhyn
Jun 21, 2011 Maerwhyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I love Chieko's funny, light tone. She is a wonderful example of how to live through hard things without becoming bitter.
Myra Marangi
Jan 25, 2011 Myra Marangi rated it really liked it
Shelves:
This is amazing book for me as I'm working on being the wife I need to be for my husband :-)
Melissa
May 14, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
An uplifting book full of wonderful stories that make you want to be better and do better.
Sheri
Oct 01, 2008 Sheri rated it really liked it
I love her insights to life and her personal experiences she shares.
Emily
Nov 22, 2008 Emily added it
Such fun! Granted, its been over 10 years....
Kelly
Feb 03, 2009 Kelly rated it it was amazing
My favorite of her books!
Barb
Barb added it
Apr 11, 2016
Kendra
Kendra added it
Mar 23, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Deeann
Deeann added it
Jan 27, 2016
Brownie
Brownie rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015
DB
DB marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Myrna Trauntvein
Myrna Trauntvein rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Chrystalin
Chrystalin marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Leanne
Leanne rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Chieko N. Okazaki was the first non-Caucasian to serve on a general board of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and was a counselor in the general Relief Society presidency from 1990 to 1997. She is the author of several bestselling books and tapes. She and her husband, the late Ed Okazaki, have two sons.
More about Chieko N. Okazaki...