Scuffy the Tugboat (Big Little Golden Book)

Scuffy the Tugboat (Big Little Golden Book)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  13,187 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Meant for “bigger things,” Scuffy the Tugboat sets off to explore the world. But on his daring adventure Scuffy realizes that home is where he’d rather be, sailing in his bathtub. For over 50 years, parents and children have cherished this classic Little Golden Book.
Published February 11th 2003 by Golden books (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Scuffy the Tugboat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scuffy the Tugboat

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
378th out of 3,046 books — 4,443 voters
The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperBeauty and the Beast by Teddy SlaterThe Color Kittens by Margaret Wise Brown
My FAVORITE LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK
9th out of 98 books — 67 voters

More lists with this book...

Kirk
Dreams and aspirations. We all have them. Some of us shoot for the moon so that we may reach the stars . . . but most of the time we're left grasping at straws before our feet even leave the ground.

Then there are the ambitious folks like Scuffy, who jump a few feet only to be beaten back to the earth by the gods. The plight of the has-been remains one of popular culture's main sources of entertainment. The greater the giant, the longer their reign, and the harder they fall, the better. The only...more
Matt Cunningham
Apr 19, 2012 Matt Cunningham rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
A nautical classic on par with the saga of Horatio Hornblower or the seagoing adventures of Ishmael. The reader is instantly transported to the 1940's world of Scuffy the tugboat in a quest I think we all share: the search for self-worth, validation, and confidence in a shifting and patronizing society. Without spoiling the story, Scuffy triumphs and banishes his twisted demons, while still not going so far beyond the pale that he is unable to reconcile with The Man With The Polkadot Tie and his...more
John Yelverton
Fun little children's book.
Indra
I love Scuffy.
Luann
This was the first book I read all the way through by myself when I was learning to read. I still remember how great I felt when I finally got to the last page!
Karl
Classic, and brings up nice memories, but has a somewhat disturbing message ("Be happy where you are - the world is big and scary!"
Wayne S.
Scuffy is a red toy tugboat with a blue smokestack who doesn’t like sitting in a toy shop. So the man with the polka dot tie who owns the store takes Scuffy home where his little boy sails him in the bathtub. But Scuffy doesn’t like being limited to a bathtub either. So the man and the boy take Scuffy to a brook, and Scuffy sails away, down the brook to the river, past villages and cities, all the way to the sea. What will happen to the little tugboat? Will Scuffy ever make it back home?
This Li...more
Ryan
This is one of those books that my son seems to like, but I'm not a fan of. At all. I read it to him when requested, and I try to like it at least half as much as he does, but I just can't do it.

Scuffy is a toy tugboat who is not content to spend his days on a toyshelf or in a bathtub. His owners sense this somehow, place him in a stream one day, and whoosh, off he goes on a journey. We follow Scuffy as the stream gets wider and wider, deeper and deeper, faster and faster. Scuffy manages to flo...more
Christina Taylor
Scuffy the Tugboat is a tale of appreciation in which a red-painted tugboat has the adventure of his life and learns to value the life he has rather than yearning for “bigger things.” When Scuffy expresses displeasure with his toy store existence, the shop owner suggests that perhaps he would be happier if he went sailing. This benevolent shop owner takes Scuffy home and places him in a bath tub to sail. Convinced that he is meant for even bigger things, Scuffy is still not happy, so the shop ow...more
Angela
I remember reading this book with my Grandmother on Friday nights when I would have a sleepover at her house. This is a great book about a little tugboat who thinks he is meant for bigger and better things than just a bathtub. When he gets his chance to go to those bigger and better places he takes it, but soon finds out that sometimes you are meant to be where you are no matter how much you think you want a change. I loved this book when I was a child and I love it now as a parent. This is a cu...more
Jayetta Carter-mcfarlin
I would use this book across all elementary grade levels to examine writing styles. This book is also good for teaching reading comprehension skills like predicting, imaging, monitoring, and summarizing. I would use the book to introduce a social studies lesson emphasing how the boat travels to different places. The book also mentions the weather conditions and the jobs the people are doing in those places. Since the little boy's toy boat begins its travel down a brook which emptied into a river...more
Noelle Walsh
I liked this book when I was a kid. I didn't read it until it fell apart (like I did with Pinocchio) but I remember liking it. I think I ended up going through a phase of liking tugboats after that.
Karen
I bought this book for the artwork. That is not to say that the story is bad -- it isn't bad -- it's just that the artwork is better.

Scuffy, the toy tugboat, thought he was too big for the toy shelf, so the toy store owner brought him home. Then Scuffy thought he was too big for the bathtub, so the toy store owner and his son took Scuffy to the brook. But it was Spring and the brook was in high spirits. And high-spirited brooks lead to rivers, and rivers lead to the sea. And toy tugboats are far...more
Will Kastner
Deadly to susceptible young minds.
Tim
Dec 15, 2013 Tim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
A little tugboat isn't satisfied sitting on the shelf of a toy store. The owner obliges and puts him in his bathtub. That still isn't enough, so he gets dropped in a stream. But Scuffy has great ambitions for his life, and floats downstream in search of a bigger world. Will the world end up being too big for Scuffy?
Overall, I think the story is interesting; It has a message that one can relate to, but sometimes it shows it's age. Certain vocabulary words seem either unusual or too advanced for t...more
Asho
This was one of my favorite books as a child, and I found it at the used bookstore, so of course I had to buy it for the memories!
In retrospect, I have no idea why I liked it so much. I think it was because of the pictures (I particularly liked the picture of the people putting up sandbags in the flood) and because in the end Scuffy discovers the perfect life for him.
Can't wait to read it to my own child some day! In fact, maybe I'll try to track down a second copy, knowing how rough kids are on...more
Sarai
Product Description

Of course I read this book as a child. I would like to say I still have it, but I am afraid it is among the many books I loved to death.
Clare Bear
Mar 06, 2008 Clare Bear rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lonely Planet readers
Shelves: true-story
When I was but a young lass my father had an old framed quotation over his desk that said saomething to the effect that one goes looking thew world over only to find It at home.

I was glad Scuffy got away and I was glad when he was found. I think a bathub is no place for a heart as big aas Scuffy's.

Nutkin
This is one of the books from my childhood that I most remember and loved. I reread it when Mom found it while I was visiting. Honestly, I'm not sure why I loved Scuffy so much, though it could've even just been the name & the fact that he travels around before realizing where he really belongs.
Cris
This was a great book to read with my toddler. It has a very philosophical bent that MIGHT go against a lot of people's modern ethos, about being content with whom one is and what one's abilities's are. I thought it very wise, but may not be everyone's cup of tea.
Christy
Carrie
More than fifty years later, my feelings of adventure and exploration are reinvigorated by this Little Golden Book. Scuffy is my source of courage and inspiration for most of the risks I've chosen to take on in life. Bully for the tugboat that not only could--but did.
Barbara
This was one of the first books I ever owned. I made one of my parents read it to me several times a day. Soon I was "reading" it by myself. I still have the original copy and several others I have picked up over the years. Why so many? You never know!
Karey
Like the Pokey Little Puppy, this story describes a characters adventures out into the world, only to discover that home is a good place to be after all. A good story for discussion with your little ones who are enthralled with the idea of running away.
Melainebooks
Le petit remorqueur qui descend un ruisseau jusqu'à la mer et qui finalement se plaît dans la baignoire d'une maison avec un père et son fils qu'il avait jugée précédemment trop petite pour lui.
Brianna Schrag
I love this book!!!! I've read it so many times i probably could recite it word for word. Gertrude Crampton has a series called A Little Golden Book and i love them all. :)
Betty
This is the first book I ever read, so I figured it deserved a nod. If you haven't read it ever, I highly recommend it, regardless of your age. Gotta love those Golden Books!
Michelle
I remember reading this book with a cassette tape when I was growing up. It's great to share with my kids now, especially with the Nook Color read-to-me feature!
Fredrick Danysh
Scuffy is a toy tugboat. This children's story is the tale of his trip down a river and the adventures that he encounters on it. Has nice illustrations.
Graham Neill
Be very careful to get the Big Little Golden Book version (32 pages) as the smaller one is horribly edited and is missing a lot of the fantastic pictures.
  • Tawny Scrawny Lion
  • My Big Little Golden Book About God
  • The Shy Little Kitten (Big Little Golden Book)
  • The Little Red Caboose
  • Baby Farm Animals
  • Good Night, Little Bear
  • Three Little Kittens
  • The Gingerbread Man
  • The Sailor Dog
  • Prayers for Children
  • The Little Red Hen
  • Santa's Toy Shop (Little Golden Book)
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
  • The Three Bears
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • My First Counting Book (Little Golden Book)
  • Pinocchio (a Little Golden Book: Classic)
Tootle Little Golden Treasury: Scuffy the Tugboat, The Poky Little Puppy, Tawny Scrawny Lion, The Saggy Baggy Elephant The Large and Growly Bear (A Little Golden Book) The Golden Christmas Book The Golden Funny Book