The Angel Maker (Boldt/Matthews, #2)

The Angel Maker (Boldt & Matthews #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  702 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Deep in the heart of a heartless city... She could have been any homeless, nameless young woman trying to escape Seattle's mean streets. Except the sixteen-year-old who stumbled into the shelter that night was missing a lot of blood, and something even more vital... Somewhere between life and death... For police woman Daphne Matthews, it was bizarre enough to call on the b...more
Published March 1st 1993 by Delacorte Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Angel Maker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angel Maker

aPriL purrs 'n hisses
I think this novel is way better than Undercurrents, the first in the Lou Boldt/Daphne Matthews series. I still don't much like Boldt - he has more than a passing resemblance to someone who you would employ as a middle-aged nanny, but the more I read about Matthews, the more I like her. She is not simply a Seattle police psychologist, she explodes into action whenever necessary despite the danger to herself.

Street kids are showing up unconscious with missing kidneys, but when Matthews' research...more
Claire Grasse
I lost interest in this about a third of the way into it. The characters were flat and cliched: The Evil Doctor; The Adoring, Slightly Dumb Assistant; The Tortured Detective Who Swears He'll Never Work Again; etc etc. I didn't find a single character even remotely likeable. There was a bizarre, truly icky sex scene on a makeshift operating table that was a major turn off in my book. Plus, animal cruelty in any degree is a no-go for me. I'm just not interested in reading about it. This is one of...more
Kathleen Hagen
The Angel Maker, by Ridley Pearson, a-minus, narrated by Jeff Cummings, produced by Brilliance Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

Lew Bolton has taken an extended leave of absence from the Seattle Police Department. His wife, Liz, had a baby, and he is being “house mom” staying at home taking care of his son while Liz works, and then playing piano in a jazz club at night. But one night, Daphne Matthews, a forensic psychologist working for the police and a close friend of Bolt’s from the past, sh...more
Kellie
(#2 in the Boldt-Matthews Series) This was a good one. An evil doctor is harvesting organs illegally. He has this middleman who has a contact at a plasma donation facility. She is able to pull names of people with certain blood types. Most of these people are runaways. The middleman gets the runaways and the doctor steals their kidneys, spleens etc. They are shocked to erase their short term memories so they don’t remember what happens to them. Some of them bleed to death after they are released...more
Cynthisa
Gah! I really like this author, especially the way he gives his main characters such real and complex human psyches -- with all the messy emotions and inconsistancies that go with them. (Self-doubts, blindness to one's flaws, occassional bouts of irritation at one's beloved spouse, you name it.) But, I truly HATE HATE HATE the way this author relies VERY heavily on long, improbable strings of coincidences and/or minor mishaps that ALWAYS seem to create just the most extreme possible outcome.

On...more
Jeff Dickison
Good entry into the Boldt/Matthews series. This one starts slowly but finishes with a great action sequence. A surgically trained veternarian is illegaly harvesting organs to sell on the black market and Lou and Daphne must stop him. Recommended.
A friend lent me this one. She likes these thriller/bestseller types. This one you can easily guess the time period. Cell phones exist but people don't reliably carry them. And the organ harvesting stories will help you place this in the mid-1990s.

And it was readable but much like potato chips. Fun to eat but with little substance. One complaint with books of this type: a heavy reliance on coincidence. One thing the author did well was set up the final confrontation. If you live for those final...more
Punk
Mystery/Thriller. Lou Boldt #2. Two years have passed since Undercurrents, but everyone's as emo as ever. The POV is still a mess, with the added bonus of including scenes from the antagonists' and victims' perspectives, which just makes the whole thing even more over the top. And, on a petty note, this edition is lousy with typos, like one every two pages in some chapters. But the sex scene showed improvement!

This dragged. There wasn't enough detective work and the main antagonist was a crazy,...more
Jenny
It was an okay read, or rather listen. I liked it but actually had to read other people's reviews to remind myself what it was about as I finished it a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it but there was something missing. I think it's because I find it hard to read books where technology was in its infancy and mobile phones are not common etc. it charges the whole 'feel' of the story. I will probably read another one of his books, hopefully a more recent one.
Pizzle
Mintti
Suomeksi: Enkelintekijä. Huh, mitä kuraa! En tiedä oliko vain suomentaja kökkö, vai alunperinkin kökkö kirja. Jännitystähän tämä oli ja takakannessa Stephen King kehui, mutta luulen että se oli joku muu King kuin se kirjailija. Juoni oli ihan jännä, mutta ihmisten reaktiot, dialogit ja lähes kaikki oli kuorrutettu aimo annoksella kökköyttä. Nyt taas maistuu joku hyvä kirja!
Mary Ann
This is the first adult book I've read of Pearson's, and I was not disappointed. Since this is the second in the series I'll probably be looking for that one to read. Sad to say this book illustrates the greed and inhumanity of some people, and happy to say there are still people who care enough to fiight forwhat isright!
Gerry
I don't usually like scary books, but this one took place in the Seattle area so I kept reading.
It was definitely a thriller. A vet who harvests organs from people. Yuck!
At one point they alluded to the dogs having been operated on to make them fiercer but unless I missed it, that wasn't explained. So it didn't get 4 stars.
Karel
Well, it actually should be in the "didn't feel like finishing" shelf. For whatever reason, I could not get into this book. I like other things by this author, but this one left me cold, so after about 100 pages I decided I'd given it a chance and quit. I'll be putting it in the teacher borrow box at school.
Dana
Jun 12, 2007 Dana rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Crap. I got it into my head that some light summer reading would do me good. Little change of pace. Well, I've cured myself of that notion. First the Koontz, and now this schlock from Ridley Pearson. Pure, unmitigated crap. So back to my regularly scheduled reading list.
Jackie
#2 in the Boldt-Matthews series. Pearson is an exceptional writer; this is an extremely scary thriller. It was a bit too graphic for my tastes but I stuck with it till the end. I will definitely read more.
Glennie
A real page-turner. My only complaint is how the pit bulls were portrayed in the story. They are not the savage beasts of this writer's description. Otherwise a good, suspenseful read.
Dennis
I enjoyed the book a lot until........... the very end of it got so very unbelievable. So I enjoyed 90% of the book; just wish the extremes at the end were more realistic.
Brian
This is a very good read. Makes you wonder.... does this really happen in real life? I did find the ending a bit vague but overall an enjoyable thriller.
Kristin

This is the first time I've read this author and I really liked this book. It kept my interest & had a few unexpected twists & turns.
Bunny
This is the scariest book... I love this author and have reading him for years. Enjoy. You might not want to read this one in the dark ;)
John
This must be the first I had read by Pearson, and his style kept me buying more and reading all he writes. Bring back Boldt!!!
Jenny
Starting out i thought this book would be pretty good. Then I lost interest. Not sure why but it couldn't keep my attention.
John Melendez
Dec 01, 2008 John Melendez rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who know Seattle mysteries
Lou Boldt Seattle detective - pretty interesting/fun to get acquainted; one of the early titles; will read more.
Chuck
A Seattle cop comes out of retirement to team up with a clinical
psychologist to search for a human organ harvester.
Jim
Just getting into Ridley Pearson. Really enjoy getting to know the geography of the Seattle area.
Martha
I keep hearing this does happen/doesn't happen IRL. Scared me.
Pamela
Organ harvesting - very wild - Strong writer
Kristin

Suspenseful until the very end.
Tony Steinman
well written, uncomfortable subject
  • Serpent Gate (Kevin Kerney, #3)
  • The World Beneath (Joe Tesla, #1)
  • Death Wave (Deep Black, #9)
  • Pacific Beat
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Dismissed with Prejudice (J.P. Beaumont, #7)
  • Dancing with the Virgins (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #2)
  • The 7th Woman (Paris Homicide, #1)
  • Absolute Rage (Butch Karp, #14)
  • Forty Words for Sorrow
  • Driven With the Wind  (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #8)
  • Night Rounds (Inspector Huss #2)
  • Dark Of The Moon (Louis Kincaid, #1)
  • Cripple Creek (Turner, #2)
Ridley Pearson is the author of more than twenty novels, including the New York Times bestseller KILLER WEEKEND; the Lou Boldt crime series; and many books for young readers, including the award-winning children's novels PETER AND THE STARCATCHERS, PETER AND THE SHADOW THIEVES, and PETER AND THE SECRET OF RUNDOON, which he cowrote with Dave Barry. Pearson lives with his wife and two daughters, div...more
More about Ridley Pearson...
Disney after Dark (Kingdom Keepers, #1) Disney at Dawn (Kingdom Keepers, #2) Disney in Shadow (Kingdom Keepers, #3) Power Play (Kingdom Keepers, #4) Shell Game (Kingdom Keepers, #5)