The Christmas Scrapbook: A Harmony Story (Harmony, #6.5)

The Christmas Scrapbook: A Harmony Story (Harmony #6.5)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  445 ratings  ·  77 reviews
It's autumn in Harmony, and Pastor Sam Gardner has vowed to be ready for Christmas. Determined to redeem a dreadful history of gift giving, Sam enrolls in a scrapbooking class to make a Christmas gift his wife will never forget. However, Sam's absence from their home every Wednesday night, coupled with his fishy alibi of attending a men's group, raises her suspicions.

Meanw...more
Published September 20th 2005 by HarperOne (first published September 1st 2005)

The Golden Compass by Philip PullmanA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisA World of Joy by Christopher  ShieldsSnow Storms by Lisa Gillis
Winter Reads
172nd out of 285 books — 264 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth
This book was hilarious! First of all, if you've ever been involved in the workings of a church, you will recognize characters in this book. If you've ever had to organize (or act in) a committee, you will know these characters. You'll swear that Philip Gulley has gone to your church, and sat in on your committees, and listened to the gossipy ladies in the back pew, and incorporated those people into his novel. And he makes it all funny. This is the town of Harmony, central to the series, and it...more
Elaine
Jan 11, 2009 Elaine rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Mom
Shelves: christmas
on page 25 and it's hilarious! Funny! Sam's taking a scrapbooking class to make his wife a scrapbook for Christmas. His teacher? Well, she could have been a Nazi. She shows the class by Sam's example, how NOT to make a scrapbook.

p. 37 - This is hysterical! Laughter! Funny! In scrapbooking class, Sam is alarmingly transported back to a 4th grade gluing endeavor.

A somewhat slapstick tale of scrapbooking woes and other follies.

His wife Barbara has no clue where he spends his Wednesday evenings. A...more
RC
Okay so back to the Christmas reading challenge. I pick up The Christmas Scrapbook by Philip Gulley because it was short (89 pages) and it was the ONLY Christmas book in our libraries display that was not a romance. Thank goodness this was short. I did not enjoy this book. The idea seemed nice. Husband wants to get wife a "real" Christmas present this year so he take a scrapbooking class at a local junior college to learn how to scrapbook in the hopes of making her a scrapbook for Christmas. Swe...more
Mayda
This charming Christmas story illustrates quite humorously the problems that can occur when people, possessing a little knowledge about something, use not-so-common sense to fill in the blanks. Sam, wanting to give his wife a special, one-of-a-kind Christmas gift, enrolls in a scrapbooking class, but deceives his wife and tells her he is attending a men’s group. Alas, his talents as a scrapbooker are few if any, and his ability to keep his mission a secret is even worse. Soon, the townspeople ar...more
I have always enjoyed reading books about Christmas and during the Christmas holidays they are out on the shelves at the library for all, I look for them during the year. Enough about me and my love of Christmas books. This is one of the cutest I have read in a while. This is a fun book and will have you laughing but the underlying story of love of one's mate will rope you in.
Linda Lipko
I enjoyed this lovely, comfortable read.

Sam Gardner is a pastor of a small church in small town Harmony Indiana.

Vowing to finally give the perfect gift to his wife, Sam enrolls in a scrapbook class. He is the only male and, it appears that he is also the only one flunking the class.

As he tries to hide the fact of the class from his wife, things spiral into a funny comedy of small town whisper down the alley communications.

This is a cute story with likeable characters that leave a warm feeling fr...more
Caren
I loved this book. Sam is a really down to earth minister with flaws, he has problems with his flock. My favorite charachter is Frank the elderly secretary. He tends to be blunt and can not keep a secret. The small incidents that happen in this book are hysterical, they could only happen in a small town. The charachters are genuine and real. The writing is simple, meaning Gulley choses the right word without wasting time with extra glitter. I really enjoyed it and plan on reading more about Harm...more
Grey853
The only bad thing I have to say about this book was that it was too short. It was really a novella rather than a novel, but it was a delight to read. I found myself laughing out loud at the outrageous situations. I won't give away the plot, but let's just say that it's a funny moral tale about gossip and communication. I highly recommend this book if you want a good laugh.

Apparently, there's a series with these same characters. I plan to start reading that right away.
Erin
Sigh. I love Christmas books even thought the genre of Christmas books seems to be filled with drivel. Some authors seem to seize this genre as a chance to add a book with the time frame of Christmas that fits with other series they are writing. I would like to know where the editors are that allow this drivel to be published.

I will admit that the scene where the pastor superglues his hands to his hair was funny. But, that was about it.
Heather
Hilarous!!! This year he is going to make a meaningful present for his wife, a scrapbook of her life. He has failed terribly in the past, with giving hotpads and hammers. In secret he is attending scrapbook making classes and assembling a scrapbook that he hopes will hope show is love for his sweetheart. Trouble is abound when this husband/Rev. tries to sneak around to get his gift made in time for Dec. 25.
Jill
This book was a super fast read, but I have to say I think it would've been better as a Christmas special on tv or some type of after school special. I think the characters could've been played up more, and the whole thing could've been a lot funnier on the small screen. It was fine...I don't read a lot of stories like this, so every once in awhile I can enjoy them. Wouldn't read them all the time.
Marsha
I loved this! I decided to start the Harmony series after reading it. It is a quick read and full of laugh-out-loud hometown "stuff". Very connected author. If this is the only Christmas book you read during the Holidays you'll be glad you did. I am always on the lookout for a good one. This is a gem and not sappy like so many of them. (Is that too strong of a word, "sappy"?) ENJOY!!
Carroll
This is a perfect Christmas book. Phil Gulley is at his fictional best in this story of a loving gift which goes horribly wrong. In the attempt to create a Christmas surprise, Sam weaves a tangled web of deception that backfires, but turns out well in the end.
Highly recommend as a wonderful Christmas read. I gave my autographed copy to my brother-in-law for Christmas several years ago.
Liz Thomas
This was a very quick read. Read it in about 2 hours! A funny, sweet story of a pator who decides to make his wife a scrapbook for Christmas. Trying to keep it a secret, turns into a series of events that lead the entire community to think he is dying. The ending could have one more chapter to reconcile the community and his "return to health." ha!
Aleisha
I'd consider giving this one 3.5 stars for being such a sweet little book. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book, especially since it is one I probably wouldn't have picked out. It was humourous and the characters were endearing. A very simple, easy read you can finish in the time it takes to eat a candy cane and drink a cup of hot cocoa!
Amy
This is a very short book and a pleasant evening read. Suspicion, misunderstandings, and gossip made for a very humorous story. I laughed quite a bit while reading. My family thought I was crazy when I would laugh out loud. Anyway, I thought this book was definitely worth spending an evening with.
Erlyne
This was a sweet, short read that reminded me a bit of the Mitford series by Jan Karon. I might have to look at some of his other volumes in the series in the future. :o)
Leaon Star
This book will always be a personal favorite. I read it to my angel Mother before she died, and reading it together ... was an escape for us both during a very difficult time.

The story line was humorous and light hearted and to think of a man taking scrapbook classes for his wife's gifts was a true treasure.
J.C. Morrows
I don't think I've ever laughed so hard reading a book.
Mr Gulley has done it again. His slightly kooky characters have come up with all sorts of crazy explanations for perfectly reasonable events...
Poor Sam has the whole town worried and he has no idea.
Bravo for a fantastically fun Christmas tale!
Melissa W
Originally reviewed at Jayne's Books.

Nice enjoyable read for Christmas. Thought that the story was a little too quick for my liking and that the story could have been fleshed out a little more.
Cheryl Olson
Very cute Christmas story laced with homespun charm and lots of humor! I believe that it is most enjoyable if you have read his other "Harmony novels" as you know the characters better, but I really enjoyed this and laughed out loud at the very funny misconceptions portrayed in the novel!
Mom
I thought it was okay, although I think a little explanation would have avoided the whole problem. Sam should have told his wife that on Wednesdays, he was doing something for Christmas. That would have eliminated the whole confusion. Characters were just a might too stupid for me.
Glenette
This was a really fast read. I read it in one evening and never laughed so hard. Philip Gulley has written some of the funniest books I have ever read. Nothing but small town stuff with small town residents. I love the Harmony Series and wish there were more!!
Julie
I always enjoy Philip Gulley's Harmony series (and wish there was a new one!)and this was true to form. While it was a short story and I think I had read it before, I still got a kick out of it and it was a good Christmas story about good intentions.
Genevieve
Few books get me to laugh out loud. With this very quick read I found myself stifling my laugh in the library, and later I woke Hyrum from a nap from laughing so loud. This is a delightful Christmas book that I will want to own.
Trish
Such a sweet story. All in the name of love and scrapbooking. =)

It's funny to see all the effort her husband goes through to surprise his wife with his great gift while she has ideas of her own about what he is up to.
Kathryn
Dec 01, 2008 Kathryn is currently reading it
I think that this book is really funny so far!! My mom has read the whole thing and I am on chapter 3!! There are 7 chapters in the whole book!! SO I am just about half way through!!
Lanette
This was a cute read. It took me all of an hour, and the scrapbooking instructor made me mad (how DARE she tell someone how/what to include in a scrapbook?) but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Joan
I have listened to 3 of Philip Gulley's books and they are all hilarious. I loved how Sam got his hand glued to his hair and had to get a hair cut.

joan from Massachusetts
Leigh Ann
I try to read one "Christmas" book each year over Christmas break. This year I opted for a short one with familiar characters
Philip Gulley's humor hits me just right.
  • The Christmas Tree
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • The Christmas Angel (Cape Light #6)
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • The Christmas Clock
  • The Judge Who Stole Christmas
  • The Christmas Pearl
  • The Christmas Letters
  • An Amish Christmas: December in Lancaster County
Philip Gulley has become the voice of small-town American life. Along with writing Front Porch Tales, Hometown Tales, and For Everything a Season, Gulley is the author of the Harmony series of novels, as well as If Grace Is True and If God Is Love, which are coauthored with James Mulholland.

He hosts "Porch Talk with Phil Gulley" on the Indiana PBS affiliate WFYI television's flagship show Across I...more
More about Philip Gulley...
Home to Harmony (Harmony, #1) Just Shy of Harmony (Harmony, #2) Christmas in Harmony: A Harmony Story (Harmony, #4) If Grace Is True: Why God Will Save Every Person (Grace Series, #1) Signs and Wonders: A Harmony Novel (Harmony, #3)