Start by marking “How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World” as Want to Read:
How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World

How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  23 reviews
‘[An] irresistible account of a child’s imaginary 8,000-mile journey through the earth to discover what’s inside. Facts about the composition of the earth are conveyed painlessly and memorably.’ —SLJ. ‘An exciting adventure. . . . Illustrations [by Caldecott Medal winner Marc Simont] explode with color and action.’ —CS. Best Books of 1979 (SLJ)
Children's Choices for 1980 (
Published March 28th 1990 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World

Cheryl
Not only is it a lively tale of a hypothetical adventure, not only is it good science, not only is it not dated but rather reads as if it's new, but the writing style is almost poetic - it's got a bewitching cadence, with sentences of various lengths to match the progress through each section of the underground.

McNulty knows that adults will appreciate how much of a pleasure it is to read aloud. And she & Simont know kids - the picture of the fire-proof submarine gives as much attention to l
Nichole
My son and I read this book as a part of Sonlight's P4/5 curriculum. This is a wonderful science book that really engages the reader. As soon as we finished, my son wanted to read it again. The book is written like a how to manual, explaining the layers of Earth. Instead of a dry explanation of the various layers and their names, the reader is taken on an adventure to the center of the Earth. Not only are all the layers named and explained, but the author explains what hypothetical equipment one ...more
Heather
What a lovely example of an engaging, living book. We read this yesterday and the kids were captivated. They asked to read it again today. So we did. Rapt attention. Then they took out the paper and crayons and drew and drew and drew. They all made plans for their own digging expedition complete with all the gear and food and how they'd pay for it. It was incredible to see them so caught up in a book.

This book relates what you'd find if you dug through the earth and so you learn about the mantle
Tanya W
Wonderful, interesting book that tells about the various layers of the earth... woven into a story of, as the title says, "How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World". This would be a great book for a book report with a poster showing the different layers of the earth and the temperature, etc. Loved this book!
Hatka Prozorac
This book is How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World by Faith McNulty. This book can be used in Pre-K to 2 grade classrooms. This book can be used for lessons on Earth and feature of the Earth's surface.
Rebecca
A wonderful little book that takes you on a journey through the earth. Simple introduction to earth's composition with interesting illustrations. My 4 yr old likes the story, my 6 yr old is starting to grasp the concepts.

This will be a great book to pull out again when its time to kick off an Earth Science study. Fun to read for any age.
Elsbeth
I read this to my toddler and later preschool child over and over. For the scientifically minded child, it's one of the very best
Christopher Bittorf
Oct 17, 2014 Christopher Bittorf rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids everywhere.
Recommended to Christopher by: No one.
I read this when I was a little kid and I loved it.
Lauri Meyers
Enjoyable to read much like the poetic prose of Stars. It's non-fiction wrapped up in great imagination. Action packed but can be read quietly at night too.
Keri
My boys and I absolutely loved this book. We kept talking about how cool it would be to have a "No-Space Ship" so we could make it through the mantle, and drink lemonade all the while. Totally fun adventure through the earth. We had to read it over and over again.
Mckinley
Fun story about what one would experience digging a hole in the Earth.
Ebookwormy
Sep 15, 2010 Ebookwormy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ebookwormy by: Sonlight P4/5
Colorful illustrations and a whimsical approach inform kids about the composition of the earth, and how difficult it would be to cut a hole through it.

We started this as recommended in P4/5 preschool and found it a smidge long, but Mom was learning too, and I think we will be reading and rereading this for years.
Eva
This is a good book to help teach elementary students about geology, and help them use their imagination to picture the things described. Some kids might find it too factual for their liking, and it doesn't have a point of view, but tells the reader to imagine each step.
Jeniann
If you ever wondered what would happen if you started digging a hole to try to get to the other side of the world, well, this book tells you about all of the obstacles that you would have to face to try to do it. I learned a few things, that's for sure.
Tim
What a great little book. Makes stuff that I learnt aged 10 or 11 in geography lessons fun and accessible to a three year old (obviously being read to!). An awesome adventure digging to the centre of the world and out again.
Tessa
My eight year old son thought this one was cool - funny and interesting. He kept saying that of course you couldn't dig a hole to the other side because you'd burn up - right? Right?
Vivi
What a nice adventure, digging all the way down to the centre of the earth and more to go to the other side of the world! This is how science should be taught in school.
Tobinsfavorite
the 7-yo brought this home from the library. From 4 to 40, we all loved it.

The pictures are fun, the text is informative, and the writing is delightful.
Hailey Dellinger
This text is great to use during life science and introduces what you find when you dig in the Earth. This book is fun and imaginative to use for students!
Stephanie
Dec 07, 2012 Stephanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stephanie by: Sonlight
I LOVE this book, as do my sons. This is a great introduction (or review) of the earth and its different levels. It is a fun way to learn the basics.
Ruthie Knox
This book is a hundred kinds of awesome. My almost-three-year-old loves it, and so do I.
Teri
Really great way to visualize the makeup of the inner earth.
Deborah Harris
Dec 01, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a10
RL 3.20 GRL-L
Abdul Khan
Abdul Khan marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Amy Strange
Amy Strange marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Sushin Dahal
Sushin Dahal marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Indiana Gee
Indiana Gee marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Kara Moore
Kara Moore marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Misterka Homeschool
Misterka Homeschool marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
  • What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew?
  • The Year At Maple Hill Farm
  • Leading Little Ones to God: A Child's Book of Bible Teachings
  • Usborne Time Traveler
  • The Bee Tree
19569
Faith McNulty was an American non-fiction author, probably best-known for her 1980 book The Burning Bed. She was born "Faith Corrigan" in New York City, the daughter of a judge. Young Faith attended Barnard College for one year, then attended Rhode Island State College. But she dropped out of college once she got a job as a copy girl at the New York Daily News. She later went to work for Life maga ...more
More about Faith McNulty...
Burning Bed: The True Story of an Abused Wife If You Decide To Go To The Moon If Dogs Ruled The World (level 3) The Lady and the Spider Dancing With Manatees (level 4)