Start by marking “Causewired: Plugging In, Getting Involved, Changing the World” as Want to Read:
Causewired: Plugging In, Getting Involved, Changing the World

Causewired: Plugging In, Getting Involved, Changing the World

3.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  29 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Tracking the massive societal impact on causes of online social networks - from blogs, to video, to the rise of social networks, 'CauseWired' reveals the extraordinary influence of online social networks - in raising money for charity, in changing the political climate and electing candidates, and in raising consciousness for causes.
Published November 1st 2008 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Causewired, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Causewired

melydia
Jan 13, 2010 melydia rated it really liked it
This is not a book I would have read had I not received it for my participation in Blog Action Day 2008. (Yes, I've had the book for a year and just now got around to reading it. That's actually pretty good considering there was no deadline.) I'm not usually interested in current events books (that's what the internet is for) or books about how OMG teh intarwebs are changing everything (ditto). But I also never pass up a free book, which has probably done more to broaden my horizons than any con ...more
David
Jul 03, 2009 David rated it liked it
Quick survey of recent trends: the conjunction of social networking and other Web 2.0 media with politcal, philanthropic and other good-cause organizations—Causes on Facebook, kiva.org, the "macaca incident." As often it is with books of this sort, each chapter reads like a free-standing magazine article, with the usual duplications (how many times do we need to be told what a widget is?). The work would benefit from some tighter editing.

The author doesn't even appear to be committed to the ugly
Taylor
May 12, 2009 Taylor rated it it was ok
A decent (optimistic) snapshot of wired micro-philanthropy and social marketing online. Only useful if you don't know much about this field. I also found it a bit too rosy for my taste--the jury is still out on what impact all of this admittedly encouraging activity will have in the long run.
Rachel
Nov 25, 2013 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: school
This book is about social media in our current day. It's primary focus is on the use of social media to promote causes, but it also touches on the presence of social media in business and in journalism. It's interesting if you really care about the topic.
Tkelleyireland
Sep 20, 2011 Tkelleyireland rated it really liked it
Really excited by the book, and have gone back to reference it a number of times. Says it the way i only wish i could
Regina
Feb 19, 2009 Regina rated it it was ok
Good introduction to the "causewired sector". The structure is a bit jumpy, but Watson gets the job done.
Hayley Johnson
Hayley Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Raquel
Raquel rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Stephen Collins
Stephen Collins rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Prat
Prat marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Lilly
Lilly marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
John
John rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2014
Kelly Gillen
Kelly Gillen rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Dayna Carpenter
Dayna Carpenter marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Nick
Nick added it
Jun 26, 2013
Sophie Carter
Sophie Carter rated it it was ok
May 05, 2013
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2013
Isabella Fantini
Isabella Fantini marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2013
Kamrin
Kamrin marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2012
Rebeccah Marrero
Rebeccah Marrero rated it did not like it
Sep 11, 2012
Yolanda Ma
Yolanda Ma is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2012
A
A added it
Sep 02, 2012
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2012