Start by marking “I Am the Wallpaper” as Want to Read:
I Am the Wallpaper

I Am the Wallpaper

Thirteen-year-old Floey Packer feels like she's always blended in to the background. After all, she's the frumpy younger sister of the Fabulous Lillian. But when Lillian suddenly gets married and heads off on a monthlong honeymoon, Floey decides it's her time to shine.

Funny, honest, and surprisingly moving, I Am the Wallpaper introduces a remarkable new talent.
Published February 27th 2007 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published May 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about I Am the Wallpaper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am the Wallpaper

Yaz *The Reading Girl*
Floey is a thirteen year old girl. She considers herself to be the wallpaper. Every time her sister comes in every body forgets about her and turns her attention to her beautiful, popular, fun sister Lillian. Floey has two best friends Azra and Wen. Curly haired Azra and Floey have a crush on Wen who is super cute even though he is their best friend. They have promised each other to never kiss Wen or be his boyfriend so they don't hurt each other.

On her thirteen birthday her aunt who has never
Jamie
Jan 16, 2008 Jamie rated it it was ok
This book has the generic feel of one written by someone who has never read a young adult novel and thinks: well, i'm writing about a thirteen year old girl, so there should be a diary, an embarassing incident involving a bra, a crush, a fight with her best friend, etc...

But more troubling is how utterly unlikeable the narrator is. She has no qualms about stealing her best friend's crush, and frequently makes commments like, "Thank God Rebecca Greenblatt was such a fatty." The only moments in wh
Feb 22, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I love this book and in my opinion anyone who has a low self esteem should read this book. It tells the story of a teenage girl who went unnoticed and tried to change that but found that there's no body better than who you truely are. This book taught me that to be yourself is the best accomplishment.
C.
May 25, 2014 C. rated it it was amazing
I love this book and its title. And I love Wen!! It's a great story about someone trying to find out who they are and who they want to be. All while feeling left out. But trying to be different and independent.
J
Feb 12, 2010 J rated it really liked it
Mark Peter Hughes is, I'm convinced, secretly a teenage girl.

You know those books that are so accurate to how you felt as a teenager that they make you cringe enough to set them down several times during the reading--always with great relief to be past this life stage?

Um, yeah. Enter I Am the Wallpaper.

Floey Packer is an introvert surrounded by screaming, bratty, intrusive cousins--and a cadre of adolescent boys determined to invade what little privacy she has left. (Naturally, her mother simp
Sophie
Jan 03, 2008 Sophie rated it really liked it
good book- contemporary realism, friend problems, a diary is posted on the web- you know, the usual
Lottie Eve
Jan 11, 2013 Lottie Eve rated it really liked it
I read this a long time ago. I plan to reread it :) I hope this is as good on the second time reading as the first time!
Feb 04, 2013 Olivia rated it really liked it
Good, sorta... Kinda
Anna Martin
May 26, 2008 Anna Martin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teenage girls
What I really like about this book are the haiku poems. The plot was good, too.
Alyssa
Mar 13, 2017 Alyssa rated it really liked it
My book this week was "I am the Wallpaper" by Mark Peter Hughes. The main characters are Azra, Wen, Floey, Lillian, and Floey and Lillian's mother. This story is about Floeys life through middle school, and all the things that fall in between. The author also included Floey's little notes to her future self. Everyday, Floey will write something regarding that day that she thinks her future self will enjoy.

If I had to change anything, I would change the main characters name. Floey isn't a bad na
Emily
Mar 01, 2017 Emily rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! I feel as if I could relate to it and I feel that Mark Peter Hughes is a young teenage girl that has been through something like this! This has been one of the better books that I have read and I will probably be relating to it more throughout my life. Floey is a hilarious character that feels invisible. Everyone only usually notices her sister and she's tired of that. Floey discovers a lot about herself through making lots of mistakes, most of which are pretty funny, b ...more
EJ
Nov 05, 2011 EJ rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I Am The Wallpaper is a story of thirteen year-old Floey Packer and her summer of trying to, essentially, change herself, so she can stop “being the wallpaper.”
Honestly, I would now only rate this about 4 stars after re-reading it, but a year ago, as a thirteen year old, I did think this book was just about the best thing since sliced bread. A part of it ran true to me, I think, because I did, most of the time, feel like the wallpaper, always going unnoticed and unheard (and I think this is stil
Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it
Right from the beginning, I liked Floey Packer. I enjoyed how the author had her writing in her journal so you understand exactly what Floes is thinking and how she is feeling. I thought that the adding of the cursive writing for the journal entries gave the journal entries a feel of a girl really writing her thoughts down. I felt for Floey and all of her troubles, and was shocked and outraged that her journal entries appeared online.

How would you react if something like that happened to you? I
Suebee
Sep 13, 2008 Suebee rated it it was ok
Floey Packer is thirteen and feels invisible, like wallpaper, especailly next to her beautiful older sister Lillian. After an incident at sister's wedding where her younger cousins force her out onto a balcony in the rain, soaking her through, she decides to become the "new and improved Floey," wearing fedoras, writing haiku and zen poetry, dying her hair purple and standing up for herself. She documents it all in her diary, while her two awful young cousins, Richard and Trish, take over her hom ...more
ACS Librarian
Floey Parker 19s me-first middle school arrogance is funny enough to be tolerable. But there 19s not much reason to sympathize with her. The same goes for just about everybody else in this frequently fun but haphazard story.

A few characters stand out as annoying: older sister Lilian is an attention-seeking whiner. Younger cousins Richard and Tish are devious manipulators. They supposedly gain favor once Floey decides to team up with them. The worst of their pre-teen terrorism 13 cyber bullying
Int'l librarian
Jun 23, 2010 Int'l librarian rated it liked it
Floey Parker’s me-first middle school arrogance is funny enough to be tolerable. But there’s not much reason to sympathize with her. The same goes for just about everybody else in this frequently fun but haphazard story.

A few characters stand out as annoying: older sister Lilian is an attention-seeking whiner. Younger cousins Richard and Tish are devious manipulators. They supposedly gain favor once Floey decides to team up with them. The worst of their pre-teen terrorism – cyber bullying with
Marissa Farhi
Oct 08, 2014 Marissa Farhi rated it really liked it
I Am The Wallpaper was a very interesting book. At moments, I got a little bored. Other than getting bored, it was well-put together and I enjoyed reading it. It was a good overall book that was fun to read!
I Am The Wallpaper is about a 13 year old girl, Floey Packer, who is very ordinary and predictable. One day her best friend, Azra, tells her that and Floey wants to change that. So Floey tries to become extraordinary. Her cousins come to visit her over the summer and practically ruin her li
Feb 28, 2011 Olivia rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story by Mark Peter Hughes. I am the Wallpaper is about a thirteen year old girl Floey Packer, who feels as though she's never been anything special compared to her fabulous glamorous older sister. When Floey's sister Lillian all at once gets married, it's Floey's time to shine. Throughout the story, you'll get to experience firsthand what Floey's journey is like as she grows as a person and becomes the "new and improved Floey Packer." But when Floey's younger cousins who a ...more
Linde
Nov 10, 2014 Linde rated it really liked it
Floey Packer has always felt like she was in the background. It doesn’t help that her older sister, Lilian, is always at the center of attention. On her thirteenth birthday, she decides to change that, all the while writing in her diary. But changing is easier said then done: her annoying cousins, Richard and Tish, come to stay at Floey’s house and her “friend” Wen won't admit that he has feelings for her. Even worse, Richard’s new neighborhood are spying on her and they have started a website a ...more
Hope Black
I Am the Wallpaper by Mark Peter Hughes, is about a 13 year old girl named Floey Packer. Her evil 2 cousins started a website full of her diary entries. Will Floey be able to get them back? Will she find a way to stop the diary entries? Read on to figure out Floey's journey on how she will get her 2 evil cousins back.

My opinion on I Am the Wallpaper, is that the book was great! It's really funny and a good read if you want something to read over the weekend.

Most of the young adults would like t
Amber
Jan 12, 2011 Amber rated it it was ok
As the story first began, I immediately took a dislike to the tone of the book. It seemed a lot younger than what an eighth grader would've sounded like and more like a grade-schooler.

As the story went on, the events that occurred in Floey's life was very predictable, and there wasn't much excitement.

Near the end, the story got better, because you know that Floey would be her old self once again and that everything would be resolved.

The only thing I didn't see coming was with Calvin in the end.

O
Rae Clifford
Jul 31, 2012 Rae Clifford rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 13-16
Recommended to Rae by: Goodreads
I Am the Wallpaper, by Mark Peter Hughes, is now one of my all-time favorite books. I'm not a fan of diary format or partial diary-format but it fit the book. Sometimes books overuse the diary-format.
Anyway, Floey Packer is coming of age and is tired of being "the wallpaper." She wants the be like her big sister, Lillian. Once Lillian gets married, Floey goes on an adventure with her two annoying cousins from Chicago. Along the road she gains some new friends... and enemies and over comes some f
Unnati
Mar 31, 2014 Unnati rated it really liked it
I think that this book is a very good book. That is because there are lots of parts in this book where the reader shows how this girl feels instead of telling. This book is about a girl who has a big sister who is popular but she is always not noticed since her big sister takes all the attention. This book will tell you how few people might feel. This girl takes a big step to try to start doing weird and not ordinary things which gets her in a little trouble. She is blackmaled at few times. Read ...more
Jan 02, 2016 Olivia rated it it was ok
I didn't really like this book. I didn't really find it interesting but I finished it anyway. This book was about a girl, Floey who always feels like she's invisible around her sister. But then she tries to make this plan to make herself more "visible". The story is written almost like she writing in her diary. In the story her diary gets stolen by her evil cousin who then starts posting it online. And she finally is starting to be the center of attention. But maybe not the attention she wanted.
Kathryn
Aug 27, 2013 Kathryn rated it liked it
This book was recommended by a student who discovered it in our classroom library. Overall, this story was a little light and fluffy, but fun and entertaining. Since Flooey is struggling with who she wants to be, she discovers a lot about herself through making lots of mistakes, most of which are pretty funny. Even though this book is about a girl, and has a lot to do with boys, it's not overly girly. This would be a great, quick summer read !
Mojo
Sep 28, 2011 Mojo rated it it was amazing
This book will bring tears to your eyes, not sadness or happiness, hilariousness XD
You can feel the most uncomfortable to most exciting moments in this book. Filled with creative ideas as the main character, Floey, brings her voice into this. AMAZING! A+

This book is for people who likes not too passionate romance but sweet high school romance and naiiveness of a clumsy, invisible, not so popular girl, who turns our to be the greatest chic yet!
Ashley
Feb 02, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS BOOK!If you are really into YA books like me, you will love this book. The story is interesting and fun, as well as nail-biting. After finishing the book I realized Mark Peter Hughes wrote Lemonade Mouth, which I only thought it was a movie. If you have the opportunity to read lemonde mouth and I am the wallpaper I really recommend reading I am the wallpaper first. You will be surprised.
Suzanne
Jul 25, 2007 Suzanne rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Adult
Hm. I have mixed feelings about this book. Floey Packer, the protagonist, is a likeable enough character. I think the problem lies with Mark Peter Hughes trying to write from the perspective of an adolescent girl. Floey's age and "problems" would ordinarily appeal to younger YA's (6, 7, and 8th grade girls), but some of the events are out of the scope of an 8th grader. If Hughes made Floey 2 years older, the story would have worked better.
Kip
Jul 23, 2010 Kip rated it liked it
Floey feels like she is unnoticed and unimportant, so after her 13th birthday, she decides to remake herself and sets out on escapades to find the new Floey. When her private journal gets posted on the internet, adventures ensue. While this novel feels like it just skims the surface of the issues Floey runs into, it is a fun read and Floey definitely stands up for herself, so it fits easily into a text set of female agency. (12 to adult)
Tamara the Librarian
Sep 24, 2011 Tamara the Librarian rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, poetry
great haikus
learn a lot about being careful about what you put out there- protecting your privacy (photos, internet-related issues)

Combo journal/narrative about the summer experience of Floey Packer- 13 year old trying to be more noticed in the world

Good book about the challenge of finding out who you are, who your friends are -- and how to be in the world
  • Life as It Comes
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
  • Shelf Life
  • The World's Shortest Stories of Love and Death
  • Lizzie at Last
  • The Summer Sherman Loved Me
  • Forever Changes
  • Crush Alert (Beacon Street Girls, #14)
  • 12 Again
  • Pucker
  • Things Left Unsaid: A Novel in Poems
  • Confessions of a Closet Catholic
  • Estrella's Quinceanera
  • Converting Kate
  • Masquerade (Canterwood Crest, #16)
  • Shopaholic
  • Saint Training
  • The Caledonian Inheritance (The Athena Effect #3)
Mark Peter Hughes was born in Liverpool, England in the Oxford Street Maternity Hospital, the same hospital as John Lennon. His family moved to the U.S.A. when he was one and most of his childhood was spent in Barrington, Rhode Island.

Mark’s first novel, I Am the Wallpaper, is the the story of a girl who feels unnoticed and ends up being an unwitting online sensation. Soon after its publication h
More about Mark Peter Hughes...

“Bright and wild like fire. Ha. Friendless and alone like a pathetic loser was more like it.” 7 likes