365 Tao: Daily Meditations

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  891 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Place the word Tao
Into your heart.
Use no other words.

The Tao is constantly moving, the path that all life and the whole universe takes. There is nothing that is not part of it—harmonious living is to know and to move with the Tao—it is a way of life, the natural order of things, a force that flows through all life.

365 Tao is a contemporary book of meditations on what it...more
Published July 17th 1992 by HarperOne (first published January 1st 1992)

The Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger1984 by George OrwellAnimal Farm by George OrwellTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Books that Changed the Way You View Life
321st out of 1,561 books — 1,487 voters
Tao Te Ching by Lao TzuThe Tao of Pooh by Benjamin HoffThe Te of Piglet by Benjamin HoffSiddhartha by Hermann HesseTao by Alan Wilson Watts
Best Books on Taoism
20th out of 71 books — 51 voters

More lists with this book...

Alison
This is a wonderful daily reflection tool for anyone of any or no faith tradition.

Here's an excerpt:

Practice

Spiritual practice is gained by daily cultivation.
If you practiced for the day, then you have won.
If you were lazy for the day, then you have not.

Self-cultivation is the heart of spiritual attainment. Gaining insight and ability is not a matter of grand statements, dramatic initiations, or sporadic moments of enlightenment. Those things are only highlights in a life of consistent activi...more
Steve Minard
Apr 13, 2011 Steve Minard rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
Shelves: taoist
This is one of my all-time favorite go-to books for quick centering. With literally a different concept for each day of the year, it is concisely written and easily-digestible with one-page for each concept, including a single word, the Chinese character, a poem and a Taoist principle. It is the perfect bite-sized collection of Taoist "snacks." It is amazing how appropriately each concept lines up with each day of the year (there is a different calendar for the Northern and Southern hemispheres...more
Jasonda
This is a deceptively simple collection of thoughts on Taoism, which is so refreshingly uncluttered with dogmatism (as compared to most other books on spirituality/religion I've read in the past) that the author nearly could have removed all references to "Tao" or "Taoism" from the text without affecting the integrity of the ideas expressed.

It's such an accessible introduction that even though I read this on a whim and had no previous interest in this philosophy, I know I'll be reading more abo...more
Elyn
A wonderful book, with deep wisdom. If I were sent to a desert island with two books, this would be one.
Rachel Bayles
One of the best sources of guidance made accessible to an English speaking audience.
Saikat Baksi
I don't know why the author had to simplify this profound mystery. if words were not there with the author to put it in western way, the book might as well not have been written.
Angelin
A quiet read that one should take their time to absorb, whether they believe in Tao or not, there are things that can be learnt from this book.
Arthur Johnson
Read it every day!
Jimmacc
Very inspiring.

JayeL
This is a great book to get you thinking each day. There is a word for each day as well as a short description or thoughts on the word. I like to read the word and try to apply it to my life or my hobbies or something. Although, the title has Tao in it, I think this is a good book for people of any religion as well as people with no religion. The words are just regular words with interesting anecdotes. Good way to get in touch with your own basic spirituality, whatever form that takes..
Günter Esser
llklklkll
Scott
With the end of the year, I'll be saying "so long" to this little book - like lots of people I usually read something before I meditate and for the past year Deng has been providing that for me. He almost always has something to say worth thinking about, even on those occasions when I don't particularly agree with him. Once in a while he's a little obscure, but then I'm not a Taoist, and if that's your tradition the same things might not be obscure at all.
Anna
It is not enough to read this book once, twice, three times and so on.I feel like I am reaching out some part of the ancient wisdom of the old golden days but it has been changed a liitle bit during the centuries and all we can do is to grasp whatever survived. Tao wisdom is not easy to understand for the western mind, which has been corrupted throughout the history and lost everything related to the ancient world.
Lisa Gray
Life changing ideas
Aries
Il volume nasce dal bisogno di applicare i principi del tao alla nostra vita, di attualizzarli e di viverne l'efficacia. Non si tratta, infatti, di un libro sul taoismo tradizionale, ma rappresenta un suggerimento di ricerca del tao nella sua dimensione più immediata: ci incoraggia a esplorare e a coltivare noi stessi, a riconoscere in ciò la vera esperienza.
Miss Birdy
Feb 27, 2013 Miss Birdy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Recommended to Miss Birdy by: Myself. Robert reminded me of the book, though.
I started the book on January 19, so I had to read the first 19 days all at once.
I have been doing really good with keeping up with the daily reading since then.
I hope to finish it this go round. The first time I ended up quitting. =0/

I made a community on LJ called 365tao to help me keep up with my daily reading.
Rita
It's a nice book to have in a shelf. Though I don't use it everyday (as recommended) I pick it up when I'm in a bad mood in the morning or when I have to make a decision and that really helps a lot. I do not trust horoscope, but I trust those words written in this book. They make sense and thats what I like. :)
Cherie
As the title suggests, it took me a year to get through this book. Some days are profound and interesting, some are confusingly mundane, judgmental, or even contradictory. But that's the author's reflection of Tao. When I got to the end I started again, it's become my first-thing morning meditation.
Rita Sturiale
Actually, I liked this book so much, that I decided to re-read it. Its the book I read every morning to start my day centered and composed . . . . it has reinforced concepts that I already had and also introduced me to many new ones that has enriched my understanding . . . .
Lori
I got this book in Paris to get through a divorce and read it every day before doing yoga, chi gong, martial arts and other movement meditations. Saved my life then, saves my life now. Deng Ming Dao writes poems on daily subjects and then explains the Tao in contemporary terms.
David Townsend
Read and used this book years ago. It still could be useful, and quieting
Mehdi
I have been reading this book since 2002. Articles have been designed to be read daily so you could read one of the 365 everyday.
This is one of the rarest book I have read in spirituality which its context is applicable to our modern life style.
James
365 Tao: Daily Mediations is a great book to open at random and just reflect on the page. This isn't exactly the type of book I would recommend for reading completely through, but rather let yourself be drawn to pages and read when it feels right.
Kony
Calming yet challenging blurbs of zen wisdom. Combines short poetry, familiar maxims, and common sense into bite-size chill pills; goes perfectly with morning coffee.

I've read this 3x now. It was just as helpful and refreshing each time around.
Ellen
Ideal for daily pre/post meditation reflection. I've had this book for almost 20 years and keep rereading it every few years. The vignettes of eastern philosophy remain fresh, relevant and profound and yield more insight with time.
Scott
This has helped me shape myself for the better. Its deep, and a light read. You can go through it by daily page per day, or through it as you see fit. I read it multiple times in a year and went back each day to that intended meditation.
Kim
I got this book the year after returning from the peace corps and flip through it quite consistenly... my favorite is the one called "cooper" [i believe it's day 135]... this is a wonderful resource for intentional thinking
Kenley Raye
A great book in my permanent library. A great book for self centering and personal growth. A wonderful bedside companion or journaling companion. Wonderful read and expansion/ interpretation if the Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu.
devon
i'm not prone to reading such things, but then again i also struggle to keep any habitual practices, be they running, yoga, or whatnot. the book is lovely, concise, wise and yet not pedantic or patronizing.
Tonya Wertman
Years ago, my dear friend, Kat gave me this book. Every time I pick it up, I am inspired. The topics are important and relevant to everyone's life. The readings stimulate thoughts and ideas for the whole day!
  • The Tao of Inner Peace
  • Tao: The Watercourse Way
  • Hua Hu Ching: The Unknown Teachings of Lao Tzu
  • The Way of Chuang Tzu
  • Chuang Tzu: Basic Writings
  • Seven Taoist Masters: A Folk Novel of China
  • The Essential Tao
  • Zen Speaks: Shouts of Nothingness
  • Pooh and the Philosophers: In Which It is Shown That All Western philos Is Merely Preamble Winnie Pooh
  • Tao: The Pathless Path
  • Meditation: A Simple Eight-Point Program for Translating Spiritual Ideals into Daily Life
  • The Heart Sutra
  • Zen Guitar
  • The Tao Is Silent
  • Karate-do: My Way of Life
  • The Second Book of the Tao
  • Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Bruce Lee Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee's Wisdom for Daily Living
Chronicles of Tao: The Secret Life of a Taoist Master Scholar Warrior: An Introduction to the Tao in Everyday Life Everyday Tao: Living with Balance and Harmony The Wandering Taoist The Living I Ching: Using Ancient Chinese Wisdom to Shape Your Life