Start by marking “365 Tao: Daily Meditations” as Want to Read:

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,491 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
Place the word Tao
Into your heart.
Use no other words.

The Tao is constantly moving, the path that all life and the whole universe takes. There is nothing that is not part of it—harmonious living is to know and to move with the Tao—it is a way of life, the natural order of things, a force that flows through all life.

365 Tao is a contemporary book of meditations on what it
Published July 17th 1992 by HarperOne (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about 365 Tao, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 365 Tao

Tao Te Ching by Lao TzuThe Tao of Pooh by Benjamin HoffSiddhartha by Hermann HesseThe Te of Piglet by Benjamin HoffTao by Alan W. Watts
Best Books on Taoism
12th out of 78 books — 81 voters
Siddhartha by Hermann HesseThe Alchemist by Paulo Coelho1984 by George OrwellTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeAnimal Farm by George Orwell
Books that Changed the Way You View Life
398th out of 2,092 books — 2,149 voters

More lists with this book...

Jasonda
Jan 22, 2014 Jasonda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a deceptively simple collection of thoughts on Taoism, which is so refreshingly uncluttered with dogmatism (as compared to most other books on spirituality/religion I've read in the past) that the author nearly could have removed all references to "Tao" or "Taoism" from the text without affecting the integrity of the ideas expressed.

It's such an accessible introduction that even though I read this on a whim and had no previous interest in this philosophy, I know I'll be reading more abo
Alison
May 07, 2010 Alison rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful daily reflection tool for anyone of any or no faith tradition.

Here's an excerpt:

Practice

Spiritual practice is gained by daily cultivation.
If you practiced for the day, then you have won.
If you were lazy for the day, then you have not.

Self-cultivation is the heart of spiritual attainment. Gaining insight and ability is not a matter of grand statements, dramatic initiations, or sporadic moments of enlightenment. Those things are only highlights in a life of consistent activi
Steve Minard
Apr 13, 2011 Steve Minard rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
Shelves: taoist
This is one of my all-time favorite go-to books for quick centering. With literally a different concept for each day of the year, it is concisely written and easily-digestible with one-page for each concept, including a single word, the Chinese character, a poem and a Taoist principle. It is the perfect bite-sized collection of Taoist "snacks." It is amazing how appropriately each concept lines up with each day of the year (there is a different calendar for the Northern and Southern hemispheres ...more
Elyn
May 07, 2012 Elyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: old-favorites
A wonderful book, with deep wisdom. If I were sent to a desert island with two books, this would be one.
Susan
Mar 03, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My day starts with this book, year after year, as my daily meditation and starting point for a journal entry. There are 365 entries, one for each day of the year. (except on leap year). Each entry contains a short poem and then two or three short paragraphs explaining the word for the day. By the time you finish reading each page, your mind shifts into new awareness of that word and its meaning and how it applies to your life. I have never found another book that feels so aligned with my inner b ...more
Lori
Jul 30, 2011 Lori rated it it was amazing
I got this book in Paris to get through a divorce and read it every day before doing yoga, chi gong, martial arts and other movement meditations. Saved my life then, saves my life now. Deng Ming Dao writes poems on daily subjects and then explains the Tao in contemporary terms.
Anita
Jan 01, 2016 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction-read
I read this book daily as it was designed to be read over the course of a year. Each day has a little something to think about concerning life. I found it very enjoyable and insightful.
Rachel Bayles
Apr 23, 2011 Rachel Bayles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
One of the best sources of guidance made accessible to an English speaking audience.
Chad Perrin
Dec 31, 2015 Chad Perrin rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
As expected, some of the entries in this book contain clear hints of personal bias. Every writing on the subject of the Tao must, inescapably, be the result of passing the apprehension of Tao through a personal filter. In some cases (e.g. Cleary's Tao Te Ching), this yields something so heavily slanted as to allow almost all value in the work to slide right off of it; in others (e.g. Stephenson's Tao Te Ching), the result is very subtle and yields one of the better Taoist works I've read.

365 Tao
NaomiRuth
Sep 03, 2014 NaomiRuth rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this collection. There was a lot to think of. It definitely taught me that I need to be in the right frame of mind for it to make any sense to me. A lot of the middle stuff I know I'm going to have to read again because I wasn't fully being aware of myself as I read them.

There's a lot in Taoism that reminds me of The Over Arching and other things I've thought of. It makes me think.
Rod
Dec 31, 2015 Rod rated it liked it
One of my three "dailies" in 2015, I enjoyed this...especially finding those points where I really have trouble with Taoism. Felt more "real" to look behind the popular notion of Taoism to its ramifications in the everyday.
Kiwi
Feb 08, 2016 Kiwi rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
I did enjoy setting time aside to read this book; sometimes I kept up with it day to day and sometimes I caught up. Every page made me think and then not think, whether I agreed or disagreed with the concept/metaphors/wording.

Some pages did occasionally make me roll my eyes for the spiritual personification and writing didn't match my scientific grasp of things, not in a way that I think means I need to transcend science, but that the metaphors needed to be adjusted or reconsidered. I suppose th
Saikat Baksi
May 24, 2014 Saikat Baksi rated it it was ok
I don't know why the author had to simplify this profound mystery. if words were not there with the author to put it in western way, the book might as well not have been written.
Robert
Mar 09, 2015 Robert rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book. For me, it is a daily read were I find inspiration and insights. Meditate on the words in this book and find inner-peace...
Martha
May 31, 2015 Martha rated it really liked it
This is a great book of short, daily inspirations, one you can dip into for a few minutes and still get something from it.
Joseph
Jun 22, 2015 Joseph rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tao
wonderful insights, always relaxing to picking out a page to ponder over
Angelin
May 09, 2014 Angelin rated it liked it
A quiet read that one should take their time to absorb, whether they believe in Tao or not, there are things that can be learnt from this book.
Cindy
May 02, 2016 Cindy is currently reading it
Use a mirror in difficult times:
You will see both cause and resolution.

When faced with adversity, you must ask whether you have done anything to bring misfortune upon yourself. If the present difficulties are the unforeseen outcome of events that you yourself set in motion, then it is necessary both to learn from your mistakes and to search for any possible way to correct them. If the difficulties are due to character flaws, then the situation should be resolved, and the basic fault must afterw
Jimmacc
May 03, 2014 Jimmacc rated it really liked it
Very inspiring.

JayeL
Jan 01, 2009 JayeL rated it really liked it
This is a great book to get you thinking each day. There is a word for each day as well as a short description or thoughts on the word. I like to read the word and try to apply it to my life or my hobbies or something. Although, the title has Tao in it, I think this is a good book for people of any religion as well as people with no religion. The words are just regular words with interesting anecdotes. Good way to get in touch with your own basic spirituality, whatever form that takes..
Günter Esser
llklklkll
Scott
Dec 31, 2012 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the end of the year, I'll be saying "so long" to this little book - like lots of people I usually read something before I meditate and for the past year Deng has been providing that for me. He almost always has something to say worth thinking about, even on those occasions when I don't particularly agree with him. Once in a while he's a little obscure, but then I'm not a Taoist, and if that's your tradition the same things might not be obscure at all.
Anna
Jul 28, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it
It is not enough to read this book once, twice, three times and so on.I feel like I am reaching out some part of the ancient wisdom of the old golden days but it has been changed a liitle bit during the centuries and all we can do is to grasp whatever survived. Tao wisdom is not easy to understand for the western mind, which has been corrupted throughout the history and lost everything related to the ancient world.
Dan Harris
Jan 10, 2016 Dan Harris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-have
For the most part i have dedicated time each day for the past 2 years, to reading a page of this book day. Making it twice I have read it in the past 2 years. The amount of depth in each page is astounding. There is much to be learned from the writings and poetry in this book - for the rest of my lifetime.
Aries
Sep 19, 2012 Aries rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, filosofia
Il volume nasce dal bisogno di applicare i principi del tao alla nostra vita, di attualizzarli e di viverne l'efficacia. Non si tratta, infatti, di un libro sul taoismo tradizionale, ma rappresenta un suggerimento di ricerca del tao nella sua dimensione più immediata: ci incoraggia a esplorare e a coltivare noi stessi, a riconoscere in ciò la vera esperienza.
Miss Birdy
Feb 27, 2013 Miss Birdy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Recommended to Miss Birdy by: Myself. Robert reminded me of the book, though.
I started the book on January 19, so I had to read the first 19 days all at once.
I have been doing really good with keeping up with the daily reading since then.
I hope to finish it this go round. The first time I ended up quitting. =0/

I made a community on LJ called 365tao to help me keep up with my daily reading.
Cherie
Apr 01, 2011 Cherie rated it really liked it
As the title suggests, it took me a year to get through this book. Some days are profound and interesting, some are confusingly mundane, judgmental, or even contradictory. But that's the author's reflection of Tao. When I got to the end I started again, it's become my first-thing morning meditation.
Rita Sturiale
Nov 24, 2008 Rita Sturiale rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Actually, I liked this book so much, that I decided to re-read it. Its the book I read every morning to start my day centered and composed . . . . it has reinforced concepts that I already had and also introduced me to many new ones that has enriched my understanding . . . .
David Townsend
Jan 06, 2014 David Townsend rated it really liked it
Read and used this book years ago. It still could be useful, and quieting
Mehdi
Dec 17, 2007 Mehdi rated it it was amazing
I have been reading this book since 2002. Articles have been designed to be read daily so you could read one of the 365 everyday.
This is one of the rarest book I have read in spirituality which its context is applicable to our modern life style.
  • The Tao of Inner Peace
  • Tao: The Watercourse Way
  • The Tao of Daily Life: The Mysteries of the Orient Revealed The Joys of Inner Harmony Found The Path to  Enlightenment Illuminated
  • The Essential Tao
  • Hua Hu Ching: The Unknown Teachings of Lao Tzu
  • Barefoot Doctor's Guide to the Tao: A Spiritual Handbook for the Urban Warrior
  • The Way of Chuang Tzu
  • Tao: The Pathless Path
  • Seven Taoist Masters: A Folk Novel of China
  • T'ai Chi Classics
  • Zhuangzi Speaks: The Music of Nature
  • Pooh and the Philosophers: In Which It Is Shown That All of Western Philosophy Is Merely a Preamble to Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Simple Taoism: A Guide to Living in Balance
  • The Diamond Sutra and the Sutra of Hui-Neng
  • Lieh-tzu: A Taoist Guide to Practical Living
  • Glimpse After Glimpse: Daily Reflections on Living and Dying
  • Meditation: A Simple Eight-Point Program for Translating Spiritual Ideals into Daily Life
  • Ta Hio: The Great Learning of Confucius

“What is it like to feel Tao? It is an effortless flowing, a sweeping momentum. It is like bird song soaring and gliding over a vast landscape. You can feel this in your life: Events will take on a perfect momentum, a glorious cadence. You can feel it in your body: The energy will rise up in you in a thrilling crescendo, setting your very nerves aglow. You can feel it in your spirit: You will enter a state of such perfect grace that you will resound over the landscape of reality like ephemeral bird song.

When Tao comes to you in this way, ride it for all that you are worth. Don't interfere. Don't stop - that brings failure, alienation, and regret. Don't try to direct it. Let it flow and follow it. When the Tao is with you, put aside all other concerns. As long as the song lasts, follow. Just follow.”
2 likes
“History is essential to our understanding of the present. Unless we are conscious of the way in which we came to this point in time as a people, then we shall never fully be able to plan the present and the future. We need to know what roots are still alive. We need to know how things came to be so that we can project from here. We also need to know the failures of the past so that we can avoid repeating them.” 2 likes