Start by marking “Is It Just Me Or Is Everything Shit?: The Encyclopedia of Modern Life” as Want to Read:
Is It Just Me Or Is Everything Shit?: The Encyclopedia of Modern Life

Is It Just Me Or Is Everything Shit?: The Encyclopedia of Modern Life

In this volume the authors stage an irreverent, encyclopedic attack on the phoney ideas, cretinous people, useless products and doublespeak that increasingly dominate modern culture.
Published August 1st 2006 by Sphere (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Is It Just Me Or Is Everything Shit?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is It Just Me Or Is Everything Shit?

Dec 14, 2008 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Remember that last book I said had the best title ever? Well, I was wrong, because this book actually has the best title ever.

UPDATE: Just threw this book across the room. Here's why: in an entry purporting to demonstrate why people who use audio books are philistines, the authors refer to Joyce's Finnegan's Wake (sic).

Now, here's a rule I consider elementary: if you're going to write a book that's essentially a long, sneering diatribe that purports to demonstrate your intellectual superiority o
Patrick Gibson
“You know, that sorta-sticky, sorta-not stuff that holds a free CD or DVD into a magazine ad. What is that? Where do they get it from? Is it bat sperm? Is it hellspawn? Is it mined by infants? We know it has the consistency of nose goblins, but what is it?”
I bought this book as a Christmas present to someone I know would at least love the title. Obviously, I still have it because I’m just finishing it on the last day of December. I read it before I was supposed to have it in the mail for deliver
Lisa
Feb 29, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, funny
My boyfriend pretty much forced me to read this. It's one of the few books he owns and when he was looking for something underneath the bed the other day, he was all "This is the best book ever".

It's not actually but it had some funny bits, like his rant on IKEA or the words "smart casual".

I really need to get it back out from underneath the bed and add a few quotes to this review.

Anyway, the author is also a bit moronic at times and says things that are kind of dumb. And there are other times w
Venla Kivilahti
Mar 25, 2016 Venla Kivilahti rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kirja ivaa erilaisia brittipopulaarikulttuurin trendi-ilmiöitä, jotka olivat pinnalla vuonna 2006. Asuin tuolloin itsekin Lontoossa, joten muistan aikakauden hyvin. Toimittajan suomiskenelisäyksistä huolimatta kirja on silti erittäin brittikeskeinen.
Lukeminen oli osittain retrotrippi, mutta enimmäkseen se kuitenkin muistuttaa miten kulttuuri-ilmiöt ja meemit ilmestyvät ja katoavat kiihtyvällä vauhdilla. Ketä kiinnostavat kymmenen vuoden takaiset tyrkkyjulkkikset? Ilmestyessään teos on ollut eit
Ika
Oct 21, 2007 Ika rated it liked it
got this book at a bookstore in the airport while i was waiting for take off a few months ago. just one word: absolutely hilarious!!! (that was two words ya? hahaha). the jokes were somewhat very british, but still knocked my socks off. there was one really funny remark about the british band keane (i love them, by the way), about how the lead vocalist (tom chaplin) face looks like a melted butter hahaha. anyway, some of the humor was kinda rude, but i'd recommend you buy this just for a good ...more
Scott Doty
Mar 10, 2011 Scott Doty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was optimistic about this book, since it produced a few laughs while skimming through it at the bookstore. Once I sat down to read it, however, it became horribly mundane and monotonous. It tries to be what made me love George Carlin; snarky, witty and unforgiving. Instead I found it pathetic and almost tragic. It's fine for a few laughs, but don't be surprised if you give up twenty pages in.
Graham
May 06, 2013 Graham rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, humour
Is It Just Me Or Is Everything (including this book) Shit? Answer: Yes.
Heather
Dec 04, 2016 Heather rated it liked it
I picked away at this book for months.

Basically it's a collection of short rants about various pop culture and political topics, most of which are UK-centric. Some were hilarious, some were stupid, and some I really didn't get. Some of the references are rather dated since the book was written when the US & UK were deep in the throes of the Bush 43/Tony Blair bromance.
Chris
Dec 10, 2008 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the 1976 film, "Network," fictitious broadcast journalist Howard Beale, fed up with everything wrong with the world, famously urged his viewers to vent their frustration by sticking their heads out the nearest windows and shouting, "I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this anymore!"

UK writers Steve Lowe and Alan McArthur have taken Beale’s advice and gone one step further; they’ve compiled an alphabetized list of "insanely annoying modern things," each complete with at least a sent
Dennis D.
Feb 09, 2009 Dennis D. rated it it was ok
IIJMOIES? is an encyclopedic look at what, in the authors’ opinions, is wrong with today’s culture. They skewer across the board, literally taking us from A- to –Z, targeting Alpha Males (“does your boss sprawl over his chair like he’s got two prickly pineapples for testicles?”), Bono (“the world’s most important man, who has come here to save us, each and every one of us.”), Dick Cheney (“has often been called the architect of the Iraq War. However, an architect would have had a plan – so let’s ...more
Sarah Sammis
Mar 15, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it it was ok
Apparently there's a new American edition of Is It Just Me or is Everything Shit? by Steve Lowe. Brendan Hay of The Daily Show collaborated on the Americanization of this encyclopedia of all things shit. Although I'm an American and an active book blogger, I apparently missed the memo on this new edition.

By strange book karma I got a copy of the original British edition through BookCrossing and that's the edition I read. So when reading my review please keep in mind I am reviewing an older and d
Mike Steven
Sep 08, 2012 Mike Steven rated it it was ok
I probably missed a trick by not reading this when it was released because it has no doubt dated over the last few years as many of the targets of its attacks have moved on - in the case of Blair, one of the books major targets, he's done many more things that they could have used against him. Despite this, it's still worth having a look at as one of those books you pick up when you have a spare couple of minutes and don't want to dip into a novel in that short amount of time.

Essentially, it's j
Hannah Lockhart
I expected so much from this, what with it's hilarious title. But the things that Lowe thinks are shit are not the same things that I think are shit, strictly speaking. When you read enough complaining in one go (as you are probably also doing now whilst reading my review complaining about a book about complaining; the inception complaint), you eventually start to feel like, "maybe the problem is you, mate".
It offers very little actual humour and a heavy dose of unfiltered cynicism and misplace
Vikky
Jun 01, 2014 Vikky rated it liked it
Someone lent me this book one day when I was in a bad mood. As with all books that contain someone's opinions, you agree with some and not with others. It was worth a read but not a fascinating book. Some entries really made me laugh, but others I skipped over as I have either never heard of the person or the topic they were putting down wasn't something I was interested in. This book had its moments, but I wouldn't have bought it.
Erica
Nov 06, 2008 Erica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this book is great--short vignettes on all the things that bug the author, from bratz dolls to people comparing other people to hitler. But while the annoyances are funny, the actual vignettes are less so. I only laughed out loud once while reading this, which is not enough for a humor book. Also despite the fact that it's supposed to be Americanized, there's still a very British feeling to it.
Laurence
Jun 07, 2011 Laurence rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People that live/have lived in Britain
Definitely one of, if not the, most hilarious book i have ever read. The cynicism with which he abuses a huge amount of things within Britain (and occasionally elsewhere) seems to me at least, to be delivered so well ensures its place in my British humour classics shelf. Admittedly there are some insults and adjectives that are somewhat overused, and certain topics that I didn't really understand but I'm sure if I were a little older the humour would be slightly more potent.
Markie Jones
Aug 12, 2011 Markie Jones rated it really liked it
I didn't know what to read and so picked this book up. It was easy-going, fun and quite hilarious at times. I seem to share the same outlook on life as the author and that is in no way depressing. It's obviously not a novel but if you just want something to quickly read in your spare time then it is a fun little book. Even if you don't share the views of the author, it is still a fun book to read.
Viv
Mar 23, 2008 Viv rated it liked it
Recommended to Viv by: Doreen
Shelves: humour
Very funny and entertaining book - no one escapes alive, not even Tony Blair or the Daily Mail! Sometimes these books are a disappointment and not really funny, but this is full of wry wit and fair cheered me up. Don't want to add "spoilers" so won't quote anything. Only complaint - did you have to use the "c" word QUITE so much guys - would have been just as funny without it - this isn't Trainspotting you know!
Ankhwatcher
Jun 24, 2008 Ankhwatcher rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: English Speakers.
An absolutely fantastic read. If you don't understand the popular references then you have two options:
a) Wikipedia
b) Just enjoy the use of langauge.

Merely the language used in this makes it a work of demented genius.
There are a few dry spots in the writing which could have benefited from more imagination.

I would recommend this book to:
English speakers. Especially anyone living in England. Doubly so if they watch 'Have I Got News For You'.
Jim
Dec 26, 2010 Jim rated it did not like it
Shelves: humour
Yes boys, including much of your book. Not half as funny or cynical as it desperately wants to be on every page. Some fairly good observations, but more than half of it wouldn't warrant an entry in Viz. When Viz was good, that is. And to acknowledge two people in the credits who are called "Dorian" and "Tamsyn", well, if those names aren't shit, what is?
Marjorie Campbell
Sep 02, 2009 Marjorie Campbell rated it liked it
Feeling frustrated? General malaise and enuie? You are not alone! This is a great bedside book for when you are feeling the stresses of modern living. Pick any heading in the alphabetically listed series of rants and you will be chuckling away (if not laughing out loud!)! It is also great for leaving as a bathroom book for guests - always good to hear someone laughing from the loo!
Matthijs
Jun 10, 2012 Matthijs rated it liked it
Despite the intriguing title and hidden gems buried somewhere in this book, in the end it's quite a lot of pages of the authors bashing anything and everyone. Sometimes sharp, funny and to the point, but most of it seems to be an excuse for abundantly using the f-word, s-word and c-word. The authors sometimes have a very good point, but it's hard to find in the rest of the, well, yes... shit.
Noora
Aug 14, 2012 Noora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kirjakaupassa selailtuna vaikutti hauskalta, mutta kun sen vihdoin kirjastosta kotiin kannoin, ei hauskoja juttuja enää löytynytkään niin paljoa. Kääntäminen on tehnyt aika paljon vahinkoa kirjalle ja suoria anglismejakin löytyy. Joitain helmiä kirjassa kuitenkin oli, mutta alkuperäinen teos olisi varmasti parempi.
Cynthia
Dec 30, 2011 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Why aren't Steve Lowe and Alan McArthur more famous? Like, Charlie Brooker famous? This is a dictionary of the horrible things in UK during the mid-2000s, some of them, unfortunately, still going on today. It will make you think twice before stepping into a Wetherspoons again; and if you don't already hate the Daily Mail, you will.
Tina
Jul 18, 2014 Tina rated it did not like it
Lost patience with book in the first few pages, but managed to read through to page 166 before I decided that this book should be renamed "Is it just me or is everything that this writer says in this book, shit"?

Literally there's about 3 swear words in every sentence here... a book supposedly of the humor genre, I think not, there's more to humor than excessive profanity.
Naomi
Jan 10, 2012 Naomi rated it did not like it
This book was more or less horrible. I was hoping for something at least amusing, and granted, it did have 2 or 3 funny quips, but, on a whole, the whole thing is just a big whiny mess.

The copy I read was the Americanized version--probably contributing 96% to it's utter tripeness. Boo.
Kourtney
Jul 19, 2010 Kourtney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
They should not market this book as being "Americanized" because it was anything but. There were maybe 3 entries that made me chuckle. Everything else I ended up skimming through just to get to the next entry because I either didn't care, didn't agree, or didn't understand (UK references).
Dani
Nov 04, 2010 Dani rated it did not like it
When I first started reading this, I wrote:
So far my experience is that it's not me - but the book is...

I would have to say that I maintain this statement - I couldn't bring myself to finish it. Utter dribble.
Kristin
Dec 15, 2008 Kristin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While it does have its moments, Is It Just Me, Or Is Everything Sh*t? eventually feels like a pointless snarkfest. After a few chapters, it’s just not fun anymore.

Read the full review at http://www.nightsandweekends.com/arti...
Joseph
Jul 25, 2011 Joseph rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
The stuff that I knew about was really like awesome and funny and stuff. But, yeah, that was probably less than 25% of the stuff in there. Too bad I'm not British, I guess. Actually, its probably a good thing.....
  • Äitikortti: kirjoituksia lisääntymisestä
  • Peas & Queues: The Minefield of Modern Manners
  • The Dark Tourist
  • On the Edge of the New Century
  • One Little Spark!: Mickey's Ten Commandments and The Road to Imagineering
  • Too Much Information... or Can Everyone Just Shut Up for a Moment, Some of Us Are Trying to Think
  • Art: A New History
  • Stay Awhile and Listen : How Two Blizzards Unleashed Diablo and Forged a Video-Game Empire
  • Murtuneet mielet: Taistelu suomalaissotilaiden hermoista 1939–1945