Start by marking “Writing from the Heart: Tapping the Power of Your Inner Voice” as Want to Read:
Writing from the Heart: Tapping the Power of Your Inner Voice

Writing from the Heart: Tapping the Power of Your Inner Voice

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  12 reviews
With warm, lively, often humorous anecdotes, advice, and lessons, this unique approach to creative writing as a path to healing the self shows how to reverse the damaging effects done to writers in school, where red pens disciplined grammar and taught them to mistrust their natural ability as storytellers--freezing them in their creative tracks. NPR sponsorships.
Published February 23rd 1998 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Writing from the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing from the Heart

Erin Mccarty
I keep this book in my purse. I consider this the jump-start that I need to write after a bad day at work or an evening of aimless procrastination. Aronie offers chapters of encouragement, each ending with a writing exercise that forces the reader to dig down into the aquifer where truth resides. I often skip around to different chapters, so I'm not entirely sure I've even finished the book, which is exciting each time I pick it up again.
Shao Pin Hoo
Mar 13, 2009 Shao Pin Hoo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to write, or blog.
Shelves: creativity
I've just read 2 chapters of this book and is already enjoying immensely. If you want to write authentically, with integrity and, as an act of giving, this is the book to read. Every chapter takes you through a step in getting there and ends with a very apt exercise. For instance, in the 2nd chapter, Schmoose with the Muse, Nancy Aronie would make you write a 100-word prose that calls out to your muse. Nice.
Denise Santomauro
While the title of this is Writing From the Heart, I believe it is more about getting to your authentic self. It's a great book for anyone who wants to dig deeper into their heart and use that as fuel for their writing.
This is an enjoyable book to read--I like her stories, advice, and general tone--but dang it makes writing sound hard! I don't know how I got so lucky (maybe it's because I'm not writing fiction), but unless I'm working on a brand new blog and super self-conscious about sharing it with people, I rarely experience the problems she describes. I just pretend I'm talking to an imaginary friend who's sort of a composite of my top three real friends, and start typing. Then I go back and tighten it up. ...more
Giving advice on writing is a tricky thing. Taking it is even trickier! This particular treatise did in the end offer some good advice and exercises to tap "the power of your inner voice" but I thought the author spent too much time in the early part of the book writing about living authentically. Perhaps that would be good preparation for some, but for me it just resounded like countless self help/memoir books I've already read. But, briefly, here are some of the exercises that did resonate wit ...more
Erik Ammon
I read this book and went through (I thought) the exercises years ago (1990's). I thought I'd give it a whirl since I'm writing again and remembered this book fondly.

I got about 7 exercises in and had enough. At this point in my life, I didn't need them. This book was not for me and I really did not find the exercises worthwhile for my writing (kids books and adult fantasy).
This book was highly anticipated reading but sadly disappointing. It was rather like ordering a hearty 6 grain piece of toast slathered with butter and homemade strawberry jam and getting a piece of 'wonder bread' white with margerine and out of date jam from the back of the fridge. Subtitle: Tapping the power of your inner voice - I think my inner voice shut down out of protest.(It has taken me 6 weeks to review this book and prepare to move on) Let's just leave it that it is a very difficult t ...more
Some really good exercises to start writing. I am excited to try them all out. I found as I was reading the book that a lot of it not only dealt with writing from the heart, but also about other areas of life. The book spoke to me about some of my spiritual beliefs as well, without being a preachy religious book. Good read.
This isn't a bad book, just not for fiction writers. The exercises are helpful to any kind of writer, but are focused more on writers with first-person narrative or memoirs. I ended up skimming through most of it.
Aug 11, 2008 Beth added it
Shelves: writing, teaching
Unless you're reading all the (used) books you can find about writing and teaching writing, I wouldn't bother with this book. It's fine, but others do the same thing better.
Melanie Griffin
totally loved this book, but it's not for the faint hearted. Serious inner work. Makes me excited about my writing!
Oct 28, 2008 Mr. marked it as to-read
Kripa marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Ali marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Gina Whitlock
Gina Whitlock marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Maria marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Tracy marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Ashwini marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Choytate marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Matthew McCarley
Matthew McCarley marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Denver marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Nikki marked it as to-read
Michelle Johnson
Michelle Johnson marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Stephen marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »