Start by marking “Writing from the Heart: Tapping the Power of Your Inner Voice” as Want to Read:
Writing from the Heart: Tapping the Power of Your Inner Voice

Writing from the Heart: Tapping the Power of Your Inner Voice

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  66 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
With warm, lively, often humorous anecdotes, advice, and lessons, this unique approach to creative writing as a path to healing the self shows how to reverse the damaging effects done to writers in school, where red pens disciplined grammar and taught them to mistrust their natural ability as storytellers--freezing them in their creative tracks. NPR sponsorships.
Published February 23rd 1998 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Writing from the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing from the Heart

Erin Mccarty
Jan 28, 2013 Erin Mccarty rated it it was amazing
I keep this book in my purse. I consider this the jump-start that I need to write after a bad day at work or an evening of aimless procrastination. Aronie offers chapters of encouragement, each ending with a writing exercise that forces the reader to dig down into the aquifer where truth resides. I often skip around to different chapters, so I'm not entirely sure I've even finished the book, which is exciting each time I pick it up again.
Shao Pin Hoo
Mar 13, 2009 Shao Pin Hoo rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to write, or blog.
Shelves: creativity
I've just read 2 chapters of this book and is already enjoying immensely. If you want to write authentically, with integrity and, as an act of giving, this is the book to read. Every chapter takes you through a step in getting there and ends with a very apt exercise. For instance, in the 2nd chapter, Schmoose with the Muse, Nancy Aronie would make you write a 100-word prose that calls out to your muse. Nice.
Denise Santomauro
Dec 13, 2009 Denise Santomauro rated it it was amazing
While the title of this is Writing From the Heart, I believe it is more about getting to your authentic self. It's a great book for anyone who wants to dig deeper into their heart and use that as fuel for their writing.
Cara
Oct 30, 2010 Cara rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
This is an enjoyable book to read--I like her stories, advice, and general tone--but dang it makes writing sound hard! I don't know how I got so lucky (maybe it's because I'm not writing fiction), but unless I'm working on a brand new blog and super self-conscious about sharing it with people, I rarely experience the problems she describes. I just pretend I'm talking to an imaginary friend who's sort of a composite of my top three real friends, and start typing. Then I go back and tighten it up. ...more
Janet
Nov 17, 2009 Janet rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing
Giving advice on writing is a tricky thing. Taking it is even trickier! This particular treatise did in the end offer some good advice and exercises to tap "the power of your inner voice" but I thought the author spent too much time in the early part of the book writing about living authentically. Perhaps that would be good preparation for some, but for me it just resounded like countless self help/memoir books I've already read. But, briefly, here are some of the exercises that did resonate wit ...more
Erik Ammon
Aug 30, 2014 Erik Ammon rated it it was ok
I read this book and went through (I thought) the exercises years ago (1990's). I thought I'd give it a whirl since I'm writing again and remembered this book fondly.

I got about 7 exercises in and had enough. At this point in my life, I didn't need them. This book was not for me and I really did not find the exercises worthwhile for my writing (kids books and adult fantasy).
Jo
Sep 17, 2009 Jo rated it it was ok
This book was highly anticipated reading but sadly disappointing. It was rather like ordering a hearty 6 grain piece of toast slathered with butter and homemade strawberry jam and getting a piece of 'wonder bread' white with margerine and out of date jam from the back of the fridge. Subtitle: Tapping the power of your inner voice - I think my inner voice shut down out of protest.(It has taken me 6 weeks to review this book and prepare to move on) Let's just leave it that it is a very difficult t ...more
Kim
Aug 06, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
Some really good exercises to start writing. I am excited to try them all out. I found as I was reading the book that a lot of it not only dealt with writing from the heart, but also about other areas of life. The book spoke to me about some of my spiritual beliefs as well, without being a preachy religious book. Good read.
Sara
Jan 09, 2010 Sara rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, non-fiction
This isn't a bad book, just not for fiction writers. The exercises are helpful to any kind of writer, but are focused more on writers with first-person narrative or memoirs. I ended up skimming through most of it.
Elizabeth Thorpe
Unless you're reading all the (used) books you can find about writing and teaching writing, I wouldn't bother with this book. It's fine, but others do the same thing better.
Melanie Griffin
totally loved this book, but it's not for the faint hearted. Serious inner work. Makes me excited about my writing!
Mr.
Oct 28, 2008 Mr. marked it as to-read
TWO COPIES
Angie Wilson
Angie Wilson marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Pamela Slade
Pamela Slade marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Glenn Bergenfield
Glenn Bergenfield rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Alohadudenyc
Alohadudenyc rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Onix Martinez
Onix Martinez marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Sarah added it
Jan 28, 2016
Athenasdaughter
Athenasdaughter marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2015
Kripa
Kripa marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Gina Whitlock
Gina Whitlock marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015