Start by marking “The Tao of Leadership: Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching Adapted for a New Age” as Want to Read:
The Tao of Leadership: Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching Adapted for a New Age

The Tao of Leadership: Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching Adapted for a New Age

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  328 ratings  ·  41 reviews
The Tao of Leadership is an invaluable tool for anyone in a position of leadership. This book provides the most simple and clear advice on how to be the very best kind of leader: be faithful, trust the process, pay attention, and inspire others to become their own leaders. Heider's book is a blend of practical insight and profound wisdom, offering inspiration and advice.
Published March 12th 2004 by Humanics Publishing Group (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Tao of Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tao of Leadership

The Jetstream of Success by Julian PencilliahFreakonomics by Steven D. LevittGetting Things Done by David AllenWalking the Corporate Beat by Michael TabmanSecret to Startup Failure by Sonia Lin
Books Every Businessperson Should Read
179th out of 246 books — 162 voters
Against the Grain by Bill CourtneyThe Power of Habit by Charles DuhiggLeadership by Carlos    RiveraDrive by Daniel H. PinkGrowing Great Employees by Erika Andersen
Books on Leadership
35th out of 49 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Matthew
I enjoyed this read from the standpoint of the elements of the original Tao te Ching. I've long been ambivalent, though, about the idea of turning these ancient texts into some sort of fly-by-night total adherence to the modern "corporate slug" mentality that was all the rage back in the 90's and even before.

Having said that, the sort of organization that would employ these timeless Truths would be an organization that goes beyond the usual "sluggery", into one both enlightened and empowered at...more
Jennie
I have used this book as a personal and professional resource ever since college! I have read the original Tao te Ching, of which this book is adapted from, and even though the original was designed for different purposes and for a less casual read, I found this book quite useful and moving. I love the easiness of the read; it is concise, inspiring and intricately profound in few words. Each chapter can be used separately as well, if you do not have much time, and/or want to sit and think on eac...more
Christopher
Seminal book for me in terms of developing (whatever) leadership skills that I continue to work to improve. Came to me by way of being a NOLS student in the late 80's & instructor through 2001 - still relevant and referred to as a Chair of the science department at a complicated, science-centric school here in Portland, OR. Highly recommend it for an alternative, grounded look at leadership skills and attitude.
Michael Cobb
A good, quick read, formatted like the Tao Te Ching, such that each segment / chapter is a restatement / interpretation of the original with a focus on what it says to leaders. This makes it a good starting point towards understanding Tao, but one that skims the surface.
Gian-luca Cioletti
A very inspirational book about Yin and Yang, Wisdom, Leadership and Buddhism values because Buddhism is Leadership!
Ellen Lindgren
This book was given to me by a friend when I was extremely frustrated and disappointed in a group I am involved with. It is a gentle, persuasive reminder to pursue wisdom and take the higher ground...and it reminds us to anticipate joy and mystery.
"Water freely and fearlessly goes deep beneath the surface of things; water is fluid and responsive...freom watching the movements of water the leader has learned that in action, timing is everything."
Nice to read after a difficult meeting.
Janno Teelem
Overall, a lot of material for contemplation, but some ideas I didn't agree with, some contradicting ideas and/or out-of-touch with reality, so I'm giving 4 stars. Still better than most management and leadership books, because it's more fundamental. Everyone should let the material through their own filters and I'm sure there is something for everyone. Great easy read.
Frank Dodd
OK - I give up and I apparently don't give a Tao.
In my world I need to read and have a clear understanding of what I just read. I don't have time to read and ponder the meaning of every chapter. Maybe I am shallow or maybe I just prefer books that I can use as a form of escape. This one didn't do it for me. I gave up half way through.
To the next reader good luck.
Clint Byars
If you're into discipleship through relationship and smaller groups, this is an excellent resource. I like the approach that a good leader is not followed but rather leads from a place where the influence os not overt. A good leader many times is not recognized because they help people come to their own conclusions rather than forcing things down others throats.
B Betancourt
Dad bought me this a while ago, though I just finished with it.
Great book! It's so resourceful, and I'm so grateful of the opportunity to have read it. I highly recommend it!!!
ms.cawley
I read this book as part of an online professional development class, but could not relate to it at all. I understand how the vague principles can be applied to a small group of self-motivated individuals, but it's suggestions for the ideal leader cannot be applied to a high school librarian... unless the objective involves complete chaos.
Yvette Bustamante
May 29, 2010 Yvette Bustamante rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Yvette by: a good friend
I am grateful for this book. It's teaching me to be aware of what is happening now, still and selflessly. I now understand that I've been forcing my way through life and against others when I should just be present and yielding. For anyone interested in finding peace, read this version of the Tao Te Ching, you'll understand.
Erick Pettersen
A good book with some very simple ideas that gives great examples of true leadership that can be seen in society. This is not a hard to read book. It is pretty short and to the point, but the ideals taught are very meaty and take time to digest.
Curtis
I have had this on my bookshelf for years. I love to open it at random from time to time and just read a couple of pages. It calms me down and always gives me something to meditate on. I highly recommend it as Rx for stressed out managers.
Victor McGuire
I found this book to be a simple book on leadership. It has universal appeal. Reader friendly with one page chapters...from self improvement to being centered..and alot more. A good read...
Jimmy
This book is helpful for someone who wants to obtain a basic understanding of Eastern (mainly Chinese) thought.

I would have given the book three stars, but the frequent typo's drove me nuts!
Maggie
Aug 30, 2008 Maggie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Maggie by: Leading From Within Professor
An short book with 81 simple, profound, and helpful principles for life and leadership, enhanced with art work. For example, "If you want to be free, learn to live simply".
John
My first introduction to both Taoism and leadership. An excellent way of looking at how things work and how a leader should work with them instead of against them.
Monica
Sep 04, 2009 Monica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I have read this before, and I love it. It takes the Tao Te Ching and applies it to Leadership in any group setting. I learn something new every time I look through it.
Rana DiOrio
An essential read for anyone managing a 21st century organization or community - businesspeople, elected officials, educators, parents, spiritual leaders, etc.
Leslie
A very accessible and yet not dumbed-down version of the Tao. An interesting read for anyone whether they are coming from a leadership point of view or not.
Jennifer Campbell
This book is my soul mate, I could read it over and over again. I bought several copies to pass out to friends. I simply love it.
Ellen C
Read it for a class. Learned a lot about myself in the process. Worth The read. Each section is short but thought provoking.
Mark
read it... doesn't mean you should. in not reading you're reading in not taking hold you are.... it's tao you wouldn't get it lol
Lori Grant
A must-read book on leadership for knowledge workers, managers, directors, C-levels, and entrepreneurs.
Steven Bonacorsi
Simple and easy to read. Introduces the concepts of Taoism into todays Leadership problems. Very insightful.
Mativargas
Must read if you know any people...if you lead, teach, or interact with groups of people in any way.
Mary
I enjoyed it. Something I will pick up again and read occasionally, when I need a little inspiration.

Bing Bing  Chang
Very nice book. The tao simple means the principle of how something works. Good book worth the money $2.50
Tommy Powell
This work is no improvement over the Tao te Ching. Read the original and skip this hash-up.
  • Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun
  • Leadership Is an Art
  • On Becoming a Leader
  • Leadership: Theory and Practice
  • The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World
  • Leadership and the New Science: Discovering Order in a Chaotic World
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • Synchronicity: The Inner Path of Leadership
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • The Voice That is Great Within Us: American Poetry of the Twentieth Century
  • Werewolf: The Apocalypse
  • The Radical Leap: A Personal Lesson in Extreme Leadership
  • Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society
  • The Heart of Change: Real-Life Stories of How People Change Their Organizations
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • True North: Discover Your Authentic Leadership
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
  •   الدول المارقة، حكم القوة في الشؤون الدولية
The Tao of Daily Living Johtamisen Tao

“The wise leader pays respectful attention to all behavior. Thus the group becomes open to more and more possibilities of behavior. People learn a great deal when they are open to everything and not just figuring out what pleases the teacher.” 0 likes
“How can a good reputation be a hindrance? A good reputation naturally arises from doing good work. But if you try to cherish your reputation, if you try to preserve it, you lose the freedom and honesty necessary for further development.” 0 likes