Start by marking “Beneath The Skin” as Want to Read:
Beneath The Skin

Beneath The Skin

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  3,052 ratings  ·  150 reviews
"When she laughs, she makes a pealing sound, like a doorbell. If I told her I loved her, she would laugh at me like that. She would think I was not serious. That is what women do. They turn what is serious and big into a small thing, a joke. Love is not a joke. It is a matter of life and death. One day, soon, she will understand that."

Zoe, a pretty blond schoolteacher. Je

Published 2000 by Michael Joseph (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Beneath The Skin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beneath The Skin

Talking to Tesla - The Mirror that is the Door by alex bigneyA Long Way Gone by Ishmael BeahA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonWhen Men Become Gods by Stephen SingularOne Of Us by Michael Marshall Smith
Interesting Books Less Talked About
24th out of 35 books — 19 voters
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann BrasharesThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldThe Last Summer by Ann BrasharesTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Last Song by Nicholas Sparks
Books set during the Summer
40th out of 95 books — 108 voters

More lists with this book...

Delee
For some reason I always thought Nicci French was a female romance writer, so I always passed her books by when I saw them. Not only was I wrong about the genre, but I recently learned what I thought was a "she" is actually a husband and a wife writing team. Who knew? -(apparently everyone else but me).

BENEATH THE SKIN is a British suspense thriller told from three different points of view:

Part 1 Zoe's story- Zoe is a young teacher in her 20s, and has become a bit of a hero after she stopped a
Jen
What made (makes) this book so beautiful to me is twofold.

1. The casual elegance of the writing. Nicci French (for the purpose of just plain not feeling like typing out two names, I will ignore that this is a pseudonym and just pretend it's one author) is brilliant at sketching characters that feel like real people and for using spare, simple and yet beautiful prose. I really love her style and always have. It's especially evident in her earlier works and now in the Frieda Klein series.

2. The re
Ola
Wow! This is indeed a psychological thriller. One that made me think about connections people have with each other and how people can change in the blink of an eye. Someone who seems trustworthy can turn out to be unbelievably good at acting. I was thoroughly hooked while reading the book. With each part of the book, told through the point of view of 3 different women who are targets of an obsessive stalker, you become closer and closer to finding the culprit and you begin to question the effici ...more
Graham Dinton
Usually three part novels irritate me. It takes me 50 pages to get into something, then I get to the end of Act 1, and Act 2 is a completely new story and I have to invest that start-up time again. This happened with Beneath the Skin but it was worth it, and by the time I got to Act 3, the pieces fitted together really well.
Three different women, three different viewpoints, each with growing tension from a series of threatening letters with some comedy and sex thrown in. What more do you want? B
B the BookAddict
Mar 02, 2014 B the BookAddict rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: highly recommended
Recommended to B the BookAddict by: my twin
Shelves: fiction

You want to shout at the women: "look out", such is your own level of tension. Creepy to the max but not a spooky creepy - a hair standing up on your arms in alarm creepy. Read this if you dare but make sure you lock the doors and have a big brawny man with you but then again, can you really trust that man????? He may well turn out to be like one of the men in this book. Read this, you'll see what I mean. 4
N
When I wrote a story in school I finished it with 'and then I died', My Teacher was quick to point out 'so how did you write this?? ' in big red letters. It's stuck with me for 30 odd years and I HATE it when writers do it (spoiler if I go further but you will know it when you see it). Apart from that it's the usual Nicci French thriller that messes with your mind. Good
Robert Beveridge
Nicci French, Beneath the Skin (1999, Warner)

Think of Nicci French as the darker, rougher side of Judith Michael--a collaboration between two folks, one male, one female, on some very nasty mysteries. In this case, the main character (though he gets relatively little screen time) is a serial killer who enjoys stalking his victims, leaving them love notes, outwitting the police, that sort of thing. Your typical above-average-intelligence serial killer. We see him, and the police trying to catch h
Jessica
Sep 15, 2008 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nicci French Readers
I was about 80 pages into this book and rather enjoying it when I happened to read the jacket. It summarized that this was the story of three girls all targeted for murder with little in common. I was still on the story of the first girl and quickly realized from the jacket description that she was going to die. So, she died and then I started the story of the second girl. It was tough to get through because I felt like I was rushing through it, knowing that she would die because a third girl wo ...more
Lisa
A serial killer targets three women and the book is comprised of the three different stories of these women.
This is not your typical serial killer book because the focus is on the victims and written from each of their points of view.
It made a nice change to see and feel what they did rather than following a detective with his/her own problems and agenda chasing after an elusive killer.
The women were very different and the author captured the different voices perfectly.
Instead of coming away th
Tux
NL - Onderhuids
Corinna Bub
Es ist ein brütendheißer Sommer in London, als der "Sommermörder" seine Opfer ausspioniert, terrorisiert und dann tötet. Zoe, Jennifer und Nadia - drei Frauen die unterschiedlicher kaum sein könnten, nur verbunden durch IHN. Drei Frauen und nur eine wird überleben. Er hält sich in ihrer Nähe auf, immer in einer anderen Funktion. Alle drei kennen ihn, erkennen aber nicht die Gefahr die von ihm ausgeht.

Das macht die Geschichte so unheimlich spannend. Der "Sommermörder" hält sich immer in der Nähe
Mandy
I've read most of the books written by Nicci French, and to be honest, I found this one to be a little lacking than some of the others.
It was published a long time ago, 2000 I think, and I don't think there was much lacking in the story. It was just a little less polished than some of the other books by these two authors.
I liked the character of Zoe best. I did not like Jennifer, not at all, and I know that sounds a bit mean but it's how I felt while reading.
I did find the premise a little unner
Carey Combe
Totally gripping, tense and unputdownable....
Creepy and terrifying. Very well written. I ripped through it, but don't think I'd want to read it again.

In a lot of ways it wasn't a novel about a murderer and his victims, it was a novel about the police completely bungling everything up. TOTALLY failing to do anything useful or to protect the women who contacted them for help, because they were too busy trying to cover up how useless they were. That, to me, was the scariest part of the whole thing. I can only hope no police department in real
Kate
Full of suspense……

Three separate women are stalked by a psychopath who wants to get to know them better by killing them and enjoys the process of watching them unravel as he plays with them - a real crime thriller. I was definitely creeped out and I had to put it down a few times. I am pleased I persevered as it was worth getting through the goose bump stuff. The conclusion was well thought through and ended up being a story that I couldn't wait to get back to.

Due to the nature of the story the
Nigel
All the way through this book I was trying to think of reasons not to award it five stars. No, it's not a Book thief or a Kite runner, no it hasn't been written by a Sebastian Barry or Justin Cartwright but ultimately it was a brilliantly believable thriller.
I have to say, I normally get incredibly frustrated with inaccurate descriptions of police procedure, poorly constructed characters and lame or unimaginative endings, so I am very pleased to say to anyone willing to listen to my humble ramb
Taneeta
Pros:
- Great storyline. I liked the splitting up of stories, and found that each character (Zoe, Jenny and Nadia) was interesting and different, aside from their short statures. Jenny was a bit annoying at times though, with how lightly she took the idea of somebody threatening her life.

- Pacing. Just as everything seemed to be dying down, the creep shows up and the part ends. And then we're introduced to the next victim. This worked excellently.

- Creepiness level. Probably because I was readi
Slayermel
Not quite what i was expecting, and there for disappointing!

This story is about 3 very different women who are all targeted by the same sick individual who is sending out threatening notes, describing how he is going to kill them. Which is a great foundation for a thriller. I really enjoyed how Nicci French has divided the book into 3 parts, each one telling the story of one of the women on a first hand basis. This allows you to be more in touch with the woman's feelings and thoughts. You really
Another page turning thriller by Nicci French, very interesting angle told by the victims of a psychopath while they are being threatened and stalked. The three different women do handle the situation differently, though I think Zoe & Nadia were more similar in their lifestyles, Jennifer/Jenny was totally different in so many ways.
Houria
The book is devided to three parts:One for each victim .I personnaly found the beginning of the first one kind of slow but it gets better through the pages. The second part is by far my favourite, maybe because things get spicier and also because I just looove jennifer ! I also liked the third part because I really do like Nadia even though I don't agree with all the choices she made but she is smart and a fighter and I like that about her!It's also in the third part that you start to put the pi ...more
Tessa Celie
Het tweede deel van het boek - Jenny - vond ik een herhaling van het eerste, maar in het derde deel werd ik beloond en kwam er vaart in het verhaal. al zou ik het niet meteen een hoogvlieger noemen. heel vlot geschreven, leest makkelijk weg, maar ik ben ongetwijfeld binnen 3 dagen vergeten waarover het boek ging.
Maxine
I found this novel disappointing. I have read and enjoyed other work by Nicci French so I was looking forward to this.

For me the novel was flat and lacked depth , the characters didn't ring true and as a result I felt no empathy with them. I didn't hate it,but neither did I like it.
Kirsty Darbyshire

i loved nicci french's first book the memory game and found the next two a little disappointing. i think this was mainly because i expected to have my head messed with in a way that i didn't expect to happen, or at least that i didn't foresee, in the first book i read. so in a way i'm expecting to be disappointed in this book.

and i was. the plot was definitely the weakest yet. there were good bits in this book, and for about thirty pages near the end it really got going and had the makings of a

annemarief
Un suspense intriguant, une histoire très bien racontée en plus mon premier Nicci French, j'ai bien apprécié ma lecture. Cependant, certaines parties étaient un peu longues et j'aurais voulu être dans l'état d'adrénaline de la fin un peu plus longtemps. J'ai hâte d'en découvrir d'autres!
Brenda Cray
I liked this mystery...kept me reading.

Zoe. Jenny. Nadia. Three women of varying ages and backgrounds with little else in common but for one thing: Someone has sent them each a note informing them that they will be killed. A cruel joke? A hoax? The police don't seem to think so. Now, with no clear suspect and amid the growing threat of violence, the victims become the accused as authorities dig into their backgrounds for clues as to why they might have attracted the unrelenting attention of a ki
Joann
I read Secret Smile and really enjoyed it. This book was pretty good and did keep me engrossed. You do know who the killer is about 3/4 of the way through the book but it was still a good read. Not great - good.
Kim Collins
An exciting thriller written from the point of view of three very different victims. This book focuses on the personalities of the victims rather than those of the police and the perpetrator. Not my favourite Nicci French book, butt still a good read.

Miss Hartigan
I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, I really liked that it was written in the first person point of view. It made me feel like I knew the women, which made it suck that much more when they were murdered. Let me stress how very very much I liked these and all the characters in the book because everything else was very bland at best.
It wasn't obviously a "whodunnit" cause that was easy too easy to figure out. I was truly disappointed with the stalker's first pt of view, it just
Shan Ellis
First person novels either hit the mark or they fail miserably. This one I'm happy to report is written with craft. First person narrative for all characters involved. It draws you in, makes you think you know the deal then throws you off the ball in the climax.

It's not neurophysiology, but it is a satisfying read. Nicci French holds her reader and endears you to her characters in such a way it's a shame to see them die sometimes, sometimes you want to see them go!

I'd recommend this as a holida
Rhiannon Parks
So the first half was great, but it really went downhill fast. Jennifer was just so annoying and arrogant. The ending wasn't all that surprising and honestly there wasn't a lot of suspense once you knew who the psycho was.
  • Alles te verliezen
  • Nieuwe Buren
  • Drift
  • Herfstlied
  • Stuk
  • Things We Knew Were True
  • Acid Row
  • Blood on the Sun (CSI: New York, #2)
  • Après-Ski
  • All Fall Down
Note: (Nicci Gerrard and Sean French also write separately.)

Nicci Gerrard was born in June 1958 in Worcestershire. After graduating with a first class honours degree in English Literature from Oxford University, she began her first job, working with emotionally disturbed children in Sheffield. In that same year she married journalist Colin Hughes.

In the early eighties she taught English Literature
More about Nicci French...
Blue Monday (Frieda Klein, #1) Killing Me Softly Tuesday's Gone (Frieda Klein, #2) Secret Smile The Red Room