God: a Guide for the Perplexed

God: a Guide for the Perplexed

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Perceptive, profound, often amusing, and yet sometimes heartbreaking, this work crafted by Keith Ward provides a unique and informative introduction to the mysteries of the divine. This is a comprehensive, humorous account of how humanity has explored and developed belief in a spiritual dimension. 24 illustrations.
Published March 15th 2002 by Oneworld Publications (first published 2002)

Paul
(Updated with some insulting remarks deleted and new ones added.)

HE LOVES ME!

In the teeth of the hurricane that blows upon all humans, the storm of bedevilments great and small that murders our peace of mind, that bewilders us and makes us think this is a world of random cruelty where war is easy and peace too hard, where when we beat back death from our front door he quickly runs in through the back window to stare at our family and run his hands through their hair, a world where it seems only...more
Mark

Have you ever finished a book and thought to yourself, "Does this guy know everything?"

That's the feeling I ended up with at the conclusion of Keith Ward's magisterial tour of theology and philosophy from the time of the ancient Greeks to the present.

This was not a quick read, mainly because Ward is exploring difficult and profound ideas -- Does God exist? If so, what is God's nature? Does God have a plan for the universe, and what is it? How does one explain the existence of evil? Can God be om...more
Ellis
One of if not the best book for learning about God and perspectives from many faiths and philosophies (of course, more time spent on the Judeo-Christian view of God, seeing as the author is an Anglican Priest). THis book literally changed my life.
Jason
Jun 11, 2008 Jason rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jason by: Anyone
A explanation of who and what God has philosophically represented to generations of humanity, told with the tongue-in-cheek dry humor of an Englishman. THAT'S why it's so good.
Steven Colborne
I am always on the lookout for books that are gripping, stimulating, and moving (aren’t we all!). It is not enough for me when a book is clever. And Keith Ward’s book ‘God: A Guide for the Perplexed’ is certainly clever, but unfortunately not affecting in the ways that I am looking for.

As the title suggests, this is a book all about God. Ward does his best to try to offer many perspectives from the history of philosophy and religion in relation to this subject. Many of the big names of philosoph...more
Steve Morley
The opening chapters are quite promising, but when he comes to discussing particular philosophers it becomes very superficial, and he presents gross misreadings of Nietzsche and Hegel especially. It ends up being rather repetitive with a lame conclusion. I realise that none of this criticism is backed up with argument and examples,perhaps when I have more time.
Ronald Tardelly,s.x.
Bagaimana mempertanggungjawabkan iman akan Allah dalam ladang luas pemikiran filsafat sekular saat ini. Keith Ward dengan menarik berusaha mempertanggungjawabkan itu dengan menelusuri sejara filsafat antik hingga kontemporer. Apakah dia berhasil mengatasi kebingungan kita atau...? bacalah lebih lanjut. Saya copy buku ini di perpustakaan STF Driyarkara - Jakarta
David Mortimer
For those like me whose knowledge of the development of religious thought is sketchy this is a very good read. Also helpful in explaining the thinking that led to each new stage of belief. At times challenging but overall a book that helped me enormously in understanding and working with the ideas involved. Well written and refreshingly humorous in places.
Tariq Mahmood
Lovely book if you want to understand God based thought set in Europe. The book does resemble a collection of lectures though, lacks a single thread throughout. It is more of a reference book then a theme.
Chad
Good Writing, seems to focus mostly on a Christians God
Luke Wilkinson
Luke Wilkinson marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Alen
Alen marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Fouad
Fouad marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Dubravka
Dubravka is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2014
Kristyn Bothwell
Kristyn Bothwell is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Topielica
Topielica marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Maja Leibovitz
Maja Leibovitz marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Philipe
Philipe is currently reading it
Jan 13, 2014
Jasmin
Jasmin is currently reading it
Nov 18, 2013
Alyssa Weaver
Alyssa Weaver marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
BM Indranada
BM Indranada marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Why There Almost Certainly Is a God: Doubting Dawkins Is Religion Dangerous? God, Chance and Necessity The Big Questions in Science and Religion What the Bible Really Teaches: A Challenge to Fundamentalists

“Some people complain that they will not live forever, but cannot think of things to do on a wet Sunday afternoon.” 1 likes