Start by marking “How to Read Foucault” as Want to Read:
How to Read Foucault

How to Read Foucault (How to Read...)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Michel Foucault was a philosopher of extraordinary talent, political activist, social theorist, cultural critic, and creative historian. He irreversibly shaped the way we think today about such controversial issues as power, sexuality, madness, and criminality.

Johanna Oksala explores the conceptual tools that Foucault gave us for constructing new forms of thinking as well
Published August 17th 2008 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about How to Read Foucault, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Read Foucault

Tim Pendry
Yes, this is a very good basic guide to the French thinker. No, it does not easily escape the obscurities inherent in the subject - but it is worth persevering with.

Friends know that I have a fairly low opinion of the many French attempts to intellectualise existence into mere words. The post-structuralists can be a particular bete noire of mine. But a major exception must be Michel Foucault who has made two major contributions to what really matters in life - that is, not what we think the wor
Joshua
This is a pretty run-of-the-mill Foucault secondary source. If you're interested in learning more about his ideas in an overall sense, this one is pretty good, but I think A Very Short Introduction to Foucault was much better, covered mostly the same sources, and was about the same length. (I prefer that series across the board to the "How to Read" series.)

The part that made it more entertaining for me were all of the nonsensical scribblings of an angry, young, Christian woman who'd read the boo
Frank Spencer
First, the series. If the other books in this series are as good as this one, it is a real resource. This one has ten chapters,each on a topic like The Prison, The Death of Man, and Repressed Sexuality. The chapters in with an extended quote from a book or paper, and then the topic is discussed. You get a pretty good survey of Foucault's work here. From the chapter Practices of the Self: "Ethics refers to a creative activity, the permanent training of oneself by oneself." There's a chapter calle ...more
Spoust1
A decent introduction to Foucault for literary studies students, maybe philosophy students, too; but this book misses the extent to which Foucault's project is in line with Marx's, and without that I think Foucault's whole thing goes out the window. Maybe that's just me. I'd recommend just reading Foucault. He's a splendid writer.
Aaron
I love reading analyses of Foucault's thought and this is the best one I've ever read. It could have been longer, though, spending fleeting time on some of Foucault's most important concepts.
gdg
Very practical and awesome!
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Nyma
Nyma added it
Apr 25, 2015
James Quay
James Quay marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Susanna
Susanna is currently reading it
May 13, 2015
Wided
Wided marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Kayla Sue
Kayla Sue marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Chonmaphan Klinjun
Chonmaphan Klinjun marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Kathy Godwin
Kathy Godwin marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Molloy
Molloy marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Vince Dioquino
Vince Dioquino marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Suduow
Suduow added it
Sep 19, 2014
David Corvine
David Corvine marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Stephen Austin
Stephen Austin is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

How to Read... (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • How to Read Derrida
  • How to Read Freud
  • How to Read Nietzsche
  • How to Read Jung
  • How to Read Hitler
Foucault on Freedom Feministinen filosofia Political Philosophy: All That Matters Political Philosophy: All That Matters Foucault, Politics, and Violence