Start by marking “How to Read Foucault” as Want to Read:
How to Read Foucault

How to Read Foucault (How to Read...)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Michel Foucault was a philosopher of extraordinary talent, political activist, social theorist, cultural critic, and creative historian. He irreversibly shaped the way we think today about such controversial issues as power, sexuality, madness, and criminality.

Johanna Oksala explores the conceptual tools that Foucault gave us for constructing new forms of thinking as well
Published August 17th 2008 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about How to Read Foucault, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Read Foucault

Tim Pendry
Yes, this is a very good basic guide to the French thinker. No, it does not easily escape the obscurities inherent in the subject - but it is worth persevering with.

Friends know that I have a fairly low opinion of the many French attempts to intellectualise existence into mere words. The post-structuralists can be a particular bete noire of mine. But a major exception must be Michel Foucault who has made two major contributions to what really matters in life - that is, not what we think the wor
Frank Spencer
First, the series. If the other books in this series are as good as this one, it is a real resource. This one has ten chapters,each on a topic like The Prison, The Death of Man, and Repressed Sexuality. The chapters in with an extended quote from a book or paper, and then the topic is discussed. You get a pretty good survey of Foucault's work here. From the chapter Practices of the Self: "Ethics refers to a creative activity, the permanent training of oneself by oneself." There's a chapter calle ...more
Spoust1
A decent introduction to Foucault for literary studies students, maybe philosophy students, too; but this book misses the extent to which Foucault's project is in line with Marx's, and without that I think Foucault's whole thing goes out the window. Maybe that's just me. I'd recommend just reading Foucault. He's a splendid writer.
Aaron
I love reading analyses of Foucault's thought and this is the best one I've ever read. It could have been longer, though, spending fleeting time on some of Foucault's most important concepts.
gdg
Very practical and awesome!
Joshua
Joshua is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2014
Juan
Juan added it
Nov 29, 2014
Vince Dioquino
Vince Dioquino marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Suduow
Suduow added it
Sep 19, 2014
David Corvine
David Corvine marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Stephen Austin
Stephen Austin is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2014
Craig Swanson
Craig Swanson marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Jun 07, 2014
Dusa Duska
Dusa Duska marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Tze-Wen
Tze-Wen marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Philip Vergel
Philip Vergel marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
Huu
Huu marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Palden Gyal
Palden Gyal marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Foucault on Freedom Feministinen filosofia Political Philosophy Foucault, Politics, and Violence