Start by marking “How to Read Foucault” as Want to Read:
How to Read Foucault

How to Read Foucault (How to Read...)

Michel Foucault was a philosopher of extraordinary talent, political activist, social theorist, cultural critic, and creative historian. He irreversibly shaped the way we think today about such controversial issues as power, sexuality, madness, and criminality.

Johanna Oksala explores the conceptual tools that Foucault gave us for constructing new forms of thinking as well
Published August 17th 2008 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about How to Read Foucault, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Read Foucault

két con
Feb 01, 2016 két con rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
making philosophy the easiest thing to read.
Tim Pendry
Nov 15, 2008 Tim Pendry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Yes, this is a very good basic guide to the French thinker. No, it does not easily escape the obscurities inherent in the subject - but it is worth persevering with.

Friends know that I have a fairly low opinion of the many French attempts to intellectualise existence into mere words. The post-structuralists can be a particular bete noire of mine. But a major exception must be Michel Foucault who has made two major contributions to what really matters in life - that is, not what we think the wor
Joshua
Nov 12, 2014 Joshua rated it really liked it
This is a pretty run-of-the-mill Foucault secondary source. If you're interested in learning more about his ideas in an overall sense, this one is pretty good, but I think A Very Short Introduction to Foucault was much better, covered mostly the same sources, and was about the same length. (I prefer that series across the board to the "How to Read" series.)

The part that made it more entertaining for me were all of the nonsensical scribblings of an angry, young, Christian woman who'd read the boo
Frank Spencer
Oct 12, 2013 Frank Spencer rated it it was amazing
First, the series. If the other books in this series are as good as this one, it is a real resource. This one has ten chapters,each on a topic like The Prison, The Death of Man, and Repressed Sexuality. The chapters in with an extended quote from a book or paper, and then the topic is discussed. You get a pretty good survey of Foucault's work here. From the chapter Practices of the Self: "Ethics refers to a creative activity, the permanent training of oneself by oneself." There's a chapter calle ...more
Spoust1
Apr 11, 2010 Spoust1 rated it liked it
A decent introduction to Foucault for literary studies students, maybe philosophy students, too; but this book misses the extent to which Foucault's project is in line with Marx's, and without that I think Foucault's whole thing goes out the window. Maybe that's just me. I'd recommend just reading Foucault. He's a splendid writer.
Aaron
Nov 23, 2012 Aaron rated it really liked it
I love reading analyses of Foucault's thought and this is the best one I've ever read. It could have been longer, though, spending fleeting time on some of Foucault's most important concepts.
Paula
Paula rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2011
Diego
Diego rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2011
Joseph
Joseph rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Palmer
Palmer rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2015
Rob
Rob rated it liked it
May 02, 2013
Nick Pochedly
Nick Pochedly rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Ivan Kapersky
Ivan Kapersky rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2014
Timothy McCluskey
Timothy McCluskey rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2011
Daniel Cidade
Daniel Cidade rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2014
Bob
Bob rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2014
Kelsey L
Kelsey L rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2013
Brandon Kemp
Brandon Kemp rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2016
Lewis Williams
Lewis Williams rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2015
u
u rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2014
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2011
Jacquie
Jacquie rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Paige
Paige rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Annamarie Kibala
Annamarie Kibala rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2012
Adaś
Adaś rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2011
Nelson Wattie
Nelson Wattie rated it really liked it
May 16, 2015
Em
Em rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2017
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2013

How to Read... (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • How to Read Derrida