Start by marking “Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within” as Want to Read:
Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within

Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within

Don't let your company kill you!

Open this book at your own risk. It contains ideas that may lead to a profound self-awakening. An introspective journey for those in the trenches of today's modern organizations, Deep Change is a survival manual for finding our own internal leadership power. By helping us learn new ways of thinking and behaving, it shows how we can transfor
Published August 14th 1996 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about Deep Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Change

Growing a Church by David K. BernardMultiplying Missional Leaders by Mike BreenRebuilt by Michael         WhiteHelp! I Hate Church by Wendy HamiltonConvergence,  Summing Up All Things In Christ by David Croom
Church Planting
17th out of 32 books — 7 voters
Fluent Forever by Gabriel WynerThe Click Moment by Frans JohanssonJoy, Inc. by Richard SheridanThe Innovator's Dilemma by Clayton M. ChristensenExtreme Programming Explained by Kent Beck
Inspire the Joy of Work
48th out of 60 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

David Kemp
Jan 31, 2013 David Kemp rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
This book makes my top 10 list for leadership/management books. Coupled with its companion book: “Building the Bridge While Walking on It” (same author), these two books have had a profound impact on me personally and on me as a leader.

I highly recommend both books.

Jeff
Feb 23, 2016 Jeff rated it liked it
I've also posted this review in my blog...

We have a choice; we can change or we can experience slow death, according to Robert Quinn, a professor of business at the University of Michigan. In this book, Quinn discusses how individuals and organizations can bring about transformational changes that helps create excellence and alters the culture of organizations. Itâs risky business to make âœdeep changesâ as they are sweeping and irreversible. But such changes are also essential for survival. The
Drick
Apr 13, 2012 Drick rated it it was amazing
I have assigned this book to students in my leadership classes for years because it provides a means for people to examine their own feelings, experiences and cognitive maps around leadership. Quinn's basic thesis is that all people must be undergoing an ongoing process of "deep change" or they will slip into "slow death." This dynamic is particularly relevant in the workplace and speaks to people in jobs that are spirit killing rather than life giving. Quinn suggests a number of strategies that ...more
John Cordes
Apr 30, 2013 John Cordes rated it it was amazing
Foundational in Spiritual Formation for me. I read this book right out of College, and it resonated deep within.
Bob
Jan 10, 2015 Bob rated it liked it
Robert Quinn offers a unique challenge for the reader to look at ourselves and our vocational roles in each chapter. His introduction charges us to take risks (5) if we are to change.

Quinn's book is one of two books we are reading as a part of UUMC's Pastor's academy. Deep Change is not something you immediately think about regarding faith experiences from an organizational standpoint. The Methodist church encourages us to think about Scripture, Reason, Tradition, and Experience. These elements
Janet
Mar 28, 2008 Janet rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: leaders finding their voice
Recommended to Janet by: Paul Meekin
Great book on finding your voice as a leader, and also some key distinctions as one traverses the path of leadership. This book found its way to me from a client who I mentored and likewise mentored me via his brother's work in organizational development. The two way relationship stands despite the distance of several states and many children later.

Stories, parables, myths: a language that transcends all 'cultures'. Ahhhhhhhhh, this is a refreshing, concise, simple and brilliant work! Simple ye
Lara
Apr 13, 2013 Lara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, 2013-tower-team
This is an excellent book about what it means to need to change, in one's life or job, and what it takes to make serious and lasting change. It doesn't sugar coat the process, but does talk abut the fact that meaningful change comes from within, not just an organization but also within the people that make up an organization.

As a business professor the book is focused on change in the world of business, but the lessons are transferable to nonprofit, government, and personal settings as well. I p
Madigan McGillicuddy
An interesting book. Embracing change can be difficult. The author seemed a little intense - would you DIE for your company? Sadly, I think a lot of people would. Fig. 20.1 Organizational profiles: Clan, Adhocracy, Heirarchy and Market Cultures was the most helpful to me.
Garland Vance
In order for organizations to go through deep, systematic change, individuals must first go through and model that change. Quinn's book gives excellent insights and how both individuals and organizations go through this type of deep change.

He also spends extensive time talking about the role of "middle management" in change efforts and how many change efforts come from those who are not at the top of the organizational chart.

I believe this book would be an excellent read for both individuals and
Neena Verma
Sep 15, 2016 Neena Verma rated it it was amazing
Robert Quinn has done amazing work creating a pathway for Deep Change in the organisational context. A brilliant book for organisational leaders desirous of creating deep authentic impact.
Pete
Tremendously relevant to my work with churches as institutions/organizations and the individuals within them. My main gain from it is how clearly he shows that only leaders who allow for Deep Change in their personal views and practices can lead an organization into new ways of thinking and doing that can get them out of trouble and help them keep up with (or stay relevant within) the rapid changes external to them.
What is in some ways ironic is that this book seems to be intended for a business
Rob Burns
May 03, 2013 Rob Burns rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
I enjoyed this book because it talks about how most people opt for slow death versus engaging in deep change. Slow death is doing what one or an organization always does, knowing there is problem and refusing to act on it. Deep change is viewed as scary because it is the unknown.

This book, which I enjoyed, also takes the deep change perspective to two forms: the organization and the individual, making relevant to any person or business professional/owner/change agent (employee).

I enjoyed the re
Greg
Quinn argues eloquently that people can best bring about positive change in organizations (and the world around them) by focusing on changing themselves. This book is both inspirational and guide-like, presenting the case for personal change and along the way leading the reader through examples, discussions, and focused questioning toward a personal model of change. Each chapter includes workbook-like questions that are intended to help guide the reader toward personal and organizational change. ...more
Katrina Spencer
May 05, 2016 Katrina Spencer rated it really liked it
Great book on concepts and practical applications on how to enhance change within yourself and your organization. Quick read!
Drew
Aug 21, 2013 Drew rated it it was ok
The premise is nothing new: "Think outside the box, etc." What's more, Quinn operates with an overly positivistic, humanistic, and universal viewpoint (see the final line in the book as the primary example). Ironically then, this book itself does not reflect the "deep change" it espouses.

If there is merit to this book, it's found in Quinn's gift of analysis (he thinks well in terms of cycles of dysfunction and health, which he breaks down and diagrams clearly) and in anecdotes.
Michael Vincent
Dec 04, 2013 Michael Vincent rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Any person who considers himself a leader, or is in a leadership position, would benefit from this book. There are many helpful insights and thought provoking questions that are good for people to think through. I think he could have spent more time on the deep change needed in an individual and building a foundation for life, but overall, this is a very helpful book.
Robert
Aug 08, 2015 Robert rated it it was amazing
I have the privilege to lead a team and at times I see the need to change in others first. This book helps you understand why such steering fails and when it does we usually increase our managing efforts. The struggle for power following hardly ever generates real change. and does not create excellence. Most important to change is to understand it starts in you.
Joshua
May 13, 2014 Joshua rated it really liked it
Strangely palatable and useful for a leadership book.
Frodo
Feb 09, 2010 Frodo rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who contemplate making a change to an organization
This was part of our reading for an L3 Incubator course on leadership through our local church. A very good book for understanding the difficulties involved when trying to make changes. Some counsel on the process of change is worth a read.
Nick
Mar 03, 2010 Nick rated it it was ok
Quinn has a lot of useful insights regarding "deep change" and the theory of personal and organizational change. Zero specifics. Too light on the mechanics. The author seemed to repeat himself too many times...
Brian
Oct 06, 2014 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quinn may be an academic, but don't hold that against him.
He is a wise man.
This is a great book.
If you are confronting life obstacles at work or elsewhere, Quinn's book may have the answers.
Michelle
Jan 03, 2009 Michelle rated it did not like it
There are some interesting points on transformational leadership, but most of the book could be summed up into a small booklet and be as effective. I would not recommend it.
Jamie Pennington
Nov 19, 2015 Jamie Pennington rated it really liked it
Fairly good book that had been sitting on my shelves for years. I found myself sinking into a rut and needed something to pull me out. This book was a help for that.
Kenzie
Feb 25, 2012 Kenzie rated it it was amazing
This book changed my world. It's great to read along with something else. It's not one that you sit down and read cover to cover. It is full of nuggets of wisdom
Doug Della pietra
Nov 17, 2012 Doug Della pietra rated it it was amazing
Best book I've ever read on change because it invites the reader to start from within, which is the true locus of change and transformation! Great read!!
Ken
Feb 04, 2009 Ken rated it it was amazing
Outstanding treatment of a tough subject, i.e., organizational transformation. I especially identified with his Hero's Journey motif.
Barbara
Mar 30, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Barbara by: Dr. Don Haggerty
Absolutely do not relegate this to the bin of cheesy self-help, as much as the title may make you want to. There is powerful insight here.
Josh
Apr 07, 2010 Josh rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read! It provides people with the opportunity to embrace the natural changes that life brings.
Shawn Thornton
Feb 08, 2013 Shawn Thornton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
Must for all leaders. Great resource for those struggling to take a ministry into the next generation of its impact and service.
Karin
Nov 18, 2011 Karin rated it really liked it
Excellent book for anyone in the process of a major life change or working with people who are experiencing this.
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • The Leadership Engine: How Winning Companies Build Leaders at Every Level
  • The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Leadership from the Inside Out: Becoming a Leader for Life
  • The Call of Service
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change
  • Transformational Leadership
  • Talk, Inc.: How Trusted Leaders Use Conversation to Power their Organizations
  • The Thin Book of Appreciative Inquiry (Thin Book Series)
  • John P. Kotter on What Leaders Really Do
  • Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society
  • A Failure of Nerve: Leadership in the Age of the Quick Fix
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • Leadership Can Be Taught: A Bold Approach for a Complex World