Start by marking “Top 100 Baby Purees: 100 Quick and Easy Meals for a Healthy and Happy Baby” as Want to Read:
Top 100 Baby Purees: 100 Quick and Easy Meals for a Healthy and Happy Baby

Top 100 Baby Purees: 100 Quick and Easy Meals for a Healthy and Happy Baby

Babies grow more rapidly in their first year than at any other time in their lives, so how you feed your newborn will be one of the most important decisions you make for your new baby.
Making your own baby food is not only more economical than buying commercial brands, it also assures that your child consumes only the freshest, top-quality ingredients. British television p
Published March 21st 2006 by Atria Books (first published September 1st 2005)

Karawan
I bought this book shortly before I started my son on solid foods (6 months old). I liked the idea of making his food myself, seeing all the individual ingredients with my own eyes, instead of buying Gerber jars. (Lest anyone think I'm one of those holier-than-thou moms, I totally get pressed for time and give him jarred baby food. But I like to cook for him whenever I can. Consider my mothering a work in progress, like everyone else's!)

At the end of the day, I think I might like the idea of thi
Nick Ingram
Sep 16, 2012 Nick Ingram rated it did not like it
Shelves: rubbish
This throwback to 1950's culture is a waste of time. My wife spent valuable time making purees for our son to eat but he just simply didn't enjoy eating by having spoons thrust into his mouth. It was distressing at best. One day, after many days of exasperating tear-filled meals, we put the puree to one side and cut up bits of what we were eating, laying them out in finger sizes on his high chair tray - bits of normal food that took no additional preparation time. It was a catalyst for change - ...more
Katherine
Sep 09, 2008 Katherine rated it it was amazing
I love this book because it gives me the opportunity to know exactly what's going into my baby's diet. Not only does it provide recipes which use grocery items that me and the husband already buy, but it also includes informative nutrition information about the phytonutrients in the food.

However, be warned that the cheese sauce calls for milk, which due to its high number of proteins can cause an allergic reaction in children under the age of 2. A way around this is to follow the recipe for chee
Kelly
Dec 11, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
TOP 100 BABY PUREES by ANNABEL KARMEL (get book again at 7-9 months for recipes)

go slow at first, baby doesnt know how to use tongue.
choking? dont fish out this may further lodge food: lower head and slap on back.
ok to cook with cows milk
need to thicken? add baby rice cereal or mashed banana
vary fruits/veg/fibers always include fats
at 6 mo. baby's iron store is depleted. need iron foods (red meat, tofu, dried apricots (make sure they are not treated with sulfur dioxide (to preserve color, brown
Elizabeth Merchant
Sep 27, 2016 Elizabeth Merchant rated it liked it
Shelves: our-library
Very good. Transitions to chunkier purees by the end.
Jen
Feb 02, 2009 Jen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: new parents
Recommended to Jen by: Melissa
Shelves: cooking
We got this book from my sister-in-law, and she said that she loved it. I'm very glad that we had it during my son's first year. First, I should say that it's been very helpful when we weren't sure what to put together for our little one. He's now 14 mos. and we have stuck to a diet of non-processed foods partly with the help of this book. However, we did find that many of the recipes seemed overly complicated, especially for the little babies. When we're in the puree stage and testing out ...more
Heather
Oct 07, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting, culinary
This is a great book for anyone who is interested in making their own baby food. I was a little skeptical about whether I would have time to make baby food from scratch; this book makes it very simple and easy and I am happy to say that my baby hasn't yet eaten anything out of a jar or package (I've been feeding her for about a month and a half). The recipes are great. My baby has liked everything so far and some of the concoctions smell so delicious (like chicken with sweet potato and apple) ...more
Heather Mize
Oct 21, 2013 Heather Mize rated it did not like it
Overall, the book is helpful and has some great recipes. There's some good info at the front. I think the book: The Best homemade baby food on the planet is a better book. It has more recipes, and more health information for baby, and for making food. This book has those things too, just less of them, and is not as well done. There are some really cool recipes like Baby Bolognese, and many short quick recipes as well. There's not an indicator on each recipe that indicates which ones can be ...more
Heather
Jul 25, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
I plan to purchase this book. I could see myself making 97% of these recipes. Two of the recipes include lamb chops, and one includes chicken liver, neither of which I would eat myself out of preference, so I will not be preparing them for my child. Other than that, I really like this book. It includes tips on nutrition, facts about some of the ingredients, information about allergies...pretty much has it all. The recipes are simple, organized by age, and include different cooking methods (for ...more
Rachel
May 21, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it
A good starter book for new parents who want to know what their kids are eating and simple ways to do it. It does give clear guidelines in the beginning for when you should start your baby on solids, nutritional needs, importance of milk in a baby's diet, best first foods, foods to avoid, how to cook/puree/freeze baby foods, and food allergies. The book is divided into weaning stages, i.e. 6 months, 6-7 months, 7-9 months and 9-12 months. I liked the fruit/veggie purees, but the meat puree ...more
Jun 23, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
I perused this book quite a bit before my son was born and before he really started to eat solids, but I never actually followed any of the recipes. I have found that I just put together flavor combinations that sound appetizing to me and pureee them up for my baby. This book would definitely be good for those who have trouble thinking up combinations on their own. One thing the book doesn't mention is the AAP's recommendation that you should not prepare carrots, turnips, spinach and a few other ...more
Asha Carlos
Oct 14, 2012 Asha Carlos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, the author gives busy parents a ton of ideas on cooking and freezing meals for your kids so that you are able to serve them healthy and fresh food all the time instead of commercial store bought food. She also provides economical recipes which are quick and easy to prepare suitable for kids from the ages of 6 to 12 months. The author recommends that newborn are fed formula or breast milk till the age of 6 months before they are introduced to solids such as rice cereals of pureed ...more
Ramya
Aug 21, 2015 Ramya rated it really liked it
Good way to start making one's own puréed baby food. Begins w/ goof nutritional guidance and information about allergies & food intolerance.

Chapters divided by months up to 12 months.

British author so interesting food combos at times but tasty. A lot more cheese & milk products used then often used in baby diet in USA. Also, a lot I interesting meat choice like liver & lamb! Watch each bay's tolerance closely & would certainly not do liver in young baby!
Elizabeth
Feb 19, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
In all fairness, I have not yet made any of these recipes because my baby is not yet born. However, there are many things I like about it:

~ It's clear and easy to read.
~ It's very well organized.
~ The recipe format/ design and images are appealing.
~ A variety of healthful ingredients are used.
~ The food combos are appealing to me as an adult, so I would be comfortable feeding them to my baby.
JoAnne Widmer
Apr 23, 2009 JoAnne Widmer rated it really liked it
This book makes me feel like a gourmet baby chef. I love making food for Maeli and this book has a lot of useful recipes and tips. The pictures are beautiful and it has helped me stay motivated to feed her homemade food. My only complaint is that some of the recipes have ingredients I wouldn’t introduce at as young of an age as the author does.
Meghan
Mar 18, 2012 Meghan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-related
This has been my puree bible since introducing solid foods. As a first-time mom, I really needed a guide and recipes until I grew more confident. The recipes are easy and nutritious. I've had a copy out from the library for ages, but I would happily spend money for a copy and will be buying it for friends who become parents.
Jul 07, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
I wish I had bought this book instead of the one I have (The best homemade baby food on the planet). The recipes look delicious even to adults! And they are easy. One thing to note is since the author is British she follows a different timeline as to when to introduce what food when. I do wish this book included nutritional information though.
Meredith
Oct 22, 2011 Meredith rated it liked it
This is a very simple cookbook of baby purees. Its recipes are all purees and are divided into four sections: 6 months, 6 to 7 months, 7 to 9 months, and 9 to 12 months.

Each recipe has a sidebar with the age, number of portions, cooking time, and suitability for freezing at the top and food facts and cooking tips below.
Erin
Dec 02, 2009 Erin rated it really liked it
This was a great starter book for learning to make my own baby food. It gave me great ideas on what foods to combine and how to cook & prepare them. I bought a few other books and they were all really the same. I would definily get one of the baby food books to learn about how to cook but otherwise it is up to what fruits and veggies you have access to and what you want to feed your child.
Ulyana Makareva
Jan 14, 2013 Ulyana Makareva is currently reading it
excellent resource for moms who cook at home for babies and toddlers! recipes are quick, diverse and tasty, my kids love the dishes from this book. great source of inspiration to try something new on your own.
Lisa
Jun 12, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I made all of Colton's baby food primarily using this cookbook and loved it! It encourages using spices and herbs with the purees and I contribute this to Colton being great at eating "adult" food now.
robin marie
Apr 03, 2014 robin marie rated it liked it
Most early baby purées don't really need a recipe however I really liked the later chapters which covered adapting normal meals to be baby friendly and the idea of introducing new spices and seasonings.
Chelsea
Feb 04, 2016 Chelsea rated it liked it
Saving this for future reference. I learned a few ways to prepare purées and tried some foods for Leo we may not have otherwise. Mostly common sense stuff, but it gave us some ideas of cooking methods to try.
Jen
Mar 30, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
Love it! It was a great first step at some ideas for baby food making! This book, in addition to my Beaba Cook, are perfect for the first time parent to get started with creating home made baby food!
Hanako
Mar 23, 2010 Hanako rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
i think some of the recipes in here will be great to try in a couple months when we start solid foods. would prefer a few more without cheese sauces, but hey - i've never had a cookbook that i liked all the recipes in.
Janelle
Sep 20, 2008 Janelle rated it it was amazing
I am making my own baby food- had to buy this book because I loved the pictures and all the recipes sounded so good. I have made a few of the recipes and thought maybe everyone should have baby food for dinner!
Julie
May 28, 2009 Julie rated it liked it
Good recipes and ideas, but I found most of the same stuff online. Online even offered more information. But there was helpful info in this book as well.
Lindsay
I decided to be adventerous and make some of my own babyfood. It's really very easy and I'm starting to get my freezer stocked up. Hooray for me!
Rebecca Wood
Dec 03, 2012 Rebecca Wood rated it really liked it
This is one of many that I have read on the subject and my favorite. It didn't have everything I wanted to know. It did have a lot of good info and touched lightly on the topic of preemies.
Jennifer Cowan
Feb 04, 2016 Jennifer Cowan rated it it was amazing
My daughter loved all the recipes.... easy to follow and was my sidekick for three-five months of baby food.
  • Cooking for Baby: Wholesome, Homemade, Delicious Foods for 6 to 18 Months
  • The Baby and Toddler Cookbook: Fresh, Homemade Foods for a Healthy Start
  • Superbaby: 12 Ways to Give Your Child a Head Start in the First 3 Years
  • Recipes from the Root Cellar: 270 Fresh Ways to Enjoy Winter Vegetables
  • Hungry Girl 200 Under 200 Just Desserts: 200 Recipes Under 200 Calories
  • Baby Play: 100 Fun-Filled Activities to Maximize Your Baby's Potential
  • Jo Frost's Confident Baby Care: What You Need To Know For The First Year From The Uk's Most Trusted Nanny
  • Start Fresh: Your Child's Jump Start to Lifelong Healthy Eating
  • Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce, with Over 350 Recipes
  • Baby Minds: Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love
  • Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook
  • Seasonal Fruit Desserts: From Orchard, Farm, and Market
  • The Complete Organic Pregnancy
  • The Herbfarm Cookbook
  • The South Beach Diet Quick and Easy Cookbook: 200 Delicious Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes or Less
  • Super Baby Food: Absolutely Everything You Should Know about Feeding Your Baby and Toddler from Starting Solid Foods to Age Three Years
  • What's Eating Your Child?: The Hidden Connection Between Food and Childhood Ailments: Anxiety, Recurrent Ear Infections, Stomachaches, Picky Eating, Rashes, ADHD, and More. And What Every Parent Can Do about It.
  • Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5