Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex, Vol. 1

Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex, Vol. 1 (Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Witness the earliest adventures of DC's legendary gunslinger from ALL-STAR WESTERN #2-8 and #10-11, WEIRD WESTERN TALES #12-14 and #16-33! Jonah Hex had no friends, but he did have two companions: death, and the acrid smell of gunsmoke!
Published November 2nd 2005 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Showcase Presents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Showcase Presents

Joseph Rice
Showcase Presents is a line of reprint books published by DC Comics. In order to keep the cost low and the price point right, these 500 page tomes are in black and white. Obviously, most comics are not printed in black and white, but this is the only way to get some of these older comics reprinted and into the hands of readers.

Whereas super-hero titles like Superman may suffer somewhat from the lack of color (super-heroes tend to be colorful, as do their villains), comics that depicted more real...more
Eddie
Starts out as a standard Weird Western with the ultimate bad-ass (a deformed and misanthropic mercenary with a sixth sense) pitted against vengeful and unredeemable bad guys. The atmosphere is cool here, but I was almost gonna put down the book when I reached the Fleisher stories that make up the second half. Fleisher gives Hex pathos, a natural but deep undercurrent of joyless roleplaying (which reminded me of Brad Pitt's jittery Jesse James watching for glory-seeking killers after his title),...more
Trevor
Jun 28, 2007 Trevor rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like comics and appreciate good writing
I was surprised at how much i enjoyed this. I'm not a big fan of westerns; in fact i'd go so far as to say the only western-like thing i enjoy is Firefly. But the writing for Jonah Hex was damn good, i thought. It seems pretty violent for the Silver Age; i was under the impression that the Comics Code Authority had banned killing entirely from comics during this era, but Hex shoots somebody dead at least once per story. When DC first started putting out the Showcase Presents editions, i could se...more
Wilson Lanue
The original Jonah Hex stories are easily among my favorite American comic books. (Some of the new ones don't seem half bad, either, though I've had less exposure.)

Forget everything you might have seen in a certain movie bearing his name. Hex is just a tough-guy ex-soldier with an uglied-up face, a penchant for bringing in bounties dead, and a reluctantly sympathetic heart somewhere under all his growling bluster.

At their worst, these stories are sexist western stereotypes. At their best, they'r...more
Fizzgig76
Reprints All-Star Western #2-8, 10-12, Weird Western Tales #13-14, 16-33. Jonah Hex travels the west as a gun for hire and deals with his past. Jonah Hex is actually surprisingly raw at points especially near the beginning of his series but does soften a bit as his character goes on. Unlike older Westerns, the issues seem to have a little more depth to their stories and a bit more variety, though Hex does seem to get knocked out a lot. Also included are the adventures of the Outlaw.
PJ Ebbrell
Some thing from the past. Some great work by various artists bringing a tired genre back to making it meaningful as Clint Eastwood was the only director to create great modern westerns. So Jonah Hex followed in his wake. There was some other stories featuring Outlaw and Billy the Kid with some great Gil Kane artwork.Definitely, a must have in the collection. Will we see a volume 2?
joshuadavid
I read this collection of Western Comics while I was sick for several days, and it was just the thing to get me through...

"He was a hero to some, a villain to others, and wherever he rode people spoke his name in whispers. He had no friends, this Jonah Hex, but he did have two companions: one was death itself... the other, the acrid smell of gunsmoke..."
Aaron Meyer
Hex rocks! These stories were a great read and the art wasn't bad either. The only thing I didn't like about the compilation is the last few stories that were about Outlaw and Billy the kid those I could of done without, they should of had more Hex instead. Beyond that glitch read these stories you will be surprised how well they were done.
Steve
the original stories featuring one of my favorite comic characters. these single-issue stories read very well and look fantastic in black and white.
Anthony

I love Jonah Hex for all of the same reasons I love Conan. There's just something about a chaotic good approach to the world that I appreciate.
Mark Adams
Classic Jonah, some of it is good, some of it is great, some of it is just eh...
Jolabrese

Great introduction to Jonah Hex. I need more stories now.
Mark
Feb 24, 2009 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Didn't bother with the Outlaw stuff.
Lynda
I enjoyed this collection.
Stephen Van Ness
Stephen Van Ness marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Aaron Ingram
Aaron Ingram marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Chas
Chas marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
William
William is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Luke
Luke marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Flor
Flor marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Jonah Hex Classic Tales: Welcome to Paradise Ms. Pac-Man's Prize Pupil Batman: The Six Deadly Demons Blackclaw's Doomsday Plot - A PlayValue Books James Bond 007 Adventure Storybook Betty #116