Start by marking “Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex, Vol. 1

Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex, Vol. 1 (Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  229 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Witness the earliest adventures of DC's legendary gunslinger from ALL-STAR WESTERN #2-8 and #10-11, WEIRD WESTERN TALES #12-14 and #16-33! Jonah Hex had no friends, but he did have two companions: death, and the acrid smell of gunsmoke!
Published November 2nd 2005 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Showcase Presents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Showcase Presents

Joseph Rice
Sep 09, 2014 Joseph Rice rated it really liked it
Showcase Presents is a line of reprint books published by DC Comics. In order to keep the cost low and the price point right, these 500 page tomes are in black and white. Obviously, most comics are not printed in black and white, but this is the only way to get some of these older comics reprinted and into the hands of readers.

Whereas super-hero titles like Superman may suffer somewhat from the lack of color (super-heroes tend to be colorful, as do their villains), comics that depicted more real
Miguel Pulido
Mar 19, 2015 Miguel Pulido rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic, western
La línea Showcase Presents de DC Comics consiste en asequibles tochos de más de quinientas páginas de cómics en blanco y negro. En este caso, recopilan las primeras apariciones de uno de mis personajes favoritos, el cazarrecompensas Jonah Hex. Si lo único que conoces de él es la lamentable película de hace unos años, olvídala porque aquí tienes el auténtico Hex. Un personaje cínico, solitario y atormentado cuyo trágico pasado lo ha convertido en uno de los pistoleros más letales del oeste. El bl ...more
Eddie
Dec 10, 2008 Eddie rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Starts out as a standard Weird Western with the ultimate bad-ass (a deformed and misanthropic mercenary with a sixth sense) pitted against vengeful and unredeemable bad guys. The atmosphere is cool here, but I was almost gonna put down the book when I reached the Fleisher stories that make up the second half. Fleisher gives Hex pathos, a natural but deep undercurrent of joyless roleplaying (which reminded me of Brad Pitt's jittery Jesse James watching for glory-seeking killers after his title), ...more
Trevor
Jun 28, 2007 Trevor rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like comics and appreciate good writing
I was surprised at how much i enjoyed this. I'm not a big fan of westerns; in fact i'd go so far as to say the only western-like thing i enjoy is Firefly. But the writing for Jonah Hex was damn good, i thought. It seems pretty violent for the Silver Age; i was under the impression that the Comics Code Authority had banned killing entirely from comics during this era, but Hex shoots somebody dead at least once per story. When DC first started putting out the Showcase Presents editions, i could se ...more
Wilson Lanue
Aug 01, 2013 Wilson Lanue rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, graph-com
The original Jonah Hex stories are easily among my favorite American comic books. (Some of the new ones don't seem half bad, either, though I've had less exposure.)

Forget everything you might have seen in a certain movie bearing his name. Hex is just a tough-guy ex-soldier with an uglied-up face, a penchant for bringing in bounties dead, and a reluctantly sympathetic heart somewhere under all his growling bluster.

At their worst, these stories are sexist western stereotypes. At their best, they'r
James Deckert
Jul 01, 2015 James Deckert rated it it was amazing
Fabulous stories. Don't watch the movie.
Fizzgig76
Jun 15, 2011 Fizzgig76 rated it really liked it
Reprints All-Star Western #2-8, 10-12, Weird Western Tales #13-14, 16-33. Jonah Hex travels the west as a gun for hire and deals with his past. Jonah Hex is actually surprisingly raw at points especially near the beginning of his series but does soften a bit as his character goes on. Unlike older Westerns, the issues seem to have a little more depth to their stories and a bit more variety, though Hex does seem to get knocked out a lot. Also included are the adventures of the Outlaw.
PJ Ebbrell
Dec 30, 2012 PJ Ebbrell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novesl
Some thing from the past. Some great work by various artists bringing a tired genre back to making it meaningful as Clint Eastwood was the only director to create great modern westerns. So Jonah Hex followed in his wake. There was some other stories featuring Outlaw and Billy the Kid with some great Gil Kane artwork.Definitely, a must have in the collection. Will we see a volume 2?
joshuadavid
Oct 19, 2009 joshuadavid rated it really liked it
Shelves: western, comics
I read this collection of Western Comics while I was sick for several days, and it was just the thing to get me through...

"He was a hero to some, a villain to others, and wherever he rode people spoke his name in whispers. He had no friends, this Jonah Hex, but he did have two companions: one was death itself... the other, the acrid smell of gunsmoke..."
Aaron Meyer
Feb 27, 2011 Aaron Meyer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Hex rocks! These stories were a great read and the art wasn't bad either. The only thing I didn't like about the compilation is the last few stories that were about Outlaw and Billy the kid those I could of done without, they should of had more Hex instead. Beyond that glitch read these stories you will be surprised how well they were done.
Steve
Jun 19, 2010 Steve rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
the original stories featuring one of my favorite comic characters. these single-issue stories read very well and look fantastic in black and white.
Anthony
Dec 05, 2010 Anthony rated it it was amazing

I love Jonah Hex for all of the same reasons I love Conan. There's just something about a chaotic good approach to the world that I appreciate.
Mark Adams
Apr 05, 2012 Mark Adams rated it really liked it
Shelves: westerns
Classic Jonah, some of it is good, some of it is great, some of it is just eh...
Jolabrese
Oct 01, 2012 Jolabrese rated it really liked it

Great introduction to Jonah Hex. I need more stories now.
Mark
Feb 24, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Didn't bother with the Outlaw stuff.
Lynda
Nov 15, 2011 Lynda rated it liked it
I enjoyed this collection.
Dan Anderson
Dan Anderson marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Tyler Villhauer
Tyler Villhauer marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Siddhant Nath
Siddhant Nath rated it it was amazing
Benn
Benn marked it as to-read
Zack
Zack marked it as to-read
Macacoteste
Macacoteste marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Maciej Karwacki
Maciej Karwacki marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
JHat
JHat added it
Apr 07, 2016
Nathan Baker
Nathan Baker rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Staci Campbell
Staci Campbell marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
  • Showcase Presents: Booster Gold
  • The Spectre, Volume 1: Crimes and Punishments
  • Showcase Presents: Green Lantern, Vol. 1
  • Essential Tomb of Dracula, Vol. 1
  • Green Arrow, Vol. 1: Hunters Moon (Green Arrow, #1)
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Jack Kirby's OMAC: One Man Army Corps
  • Essential Howard the Duck, Vol. 1
  • Loveless, Vol. 2: Thicker Than Blackwater
  • The Question, Vol. 1: Zen and Violence
  • Essential Doctor Strange, Vol. 2
  • Creepy Archives, Vol. 1

Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex (2 books)
  • Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex, Vol. 2