Start by marking “Terribly Twisted Tales” as Want to Read:
Terribly Twisted Tales

Terribly Twisted Tales

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  90 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Eighteen original stories that take familiar fairy tales and shift them around to give an entirely new slant.

Fairy tales are among the earliest fantasies we are exposed to when young and impressionable. They stay with us throughout our lives, whether in their original versions or filtered thorugh cartoon retellings.

What more fun could a fantasy writer have than to take
Published May 5th 2009 by DAW (first published February 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Terribly Twisted Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Terribly Twisted Tales

Lisa
Jun 11, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
LibraryDanielle
May 04, 2014 LibraryDanielle rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
some of these stories were fantastic (Capricious Animistic Tempter) and some were fun, but mediocre (waifs) and some I disliked (rapunzel strikes back). the ones I disliked the most were the shorts that turned a fairy tale into a modern story. not a modern fairy tale, just a story. like the Rapunzel one. it had so little to do with a fairy tale if it hadn't been for the "let down your..." bit it wouldn't have had any relation.
Patty
This is where I like Good Reads better than Shelfari. On Good Reads, two stars are "It was okay." and that is exactly where I am with this book. The same two stars on Shelfari say I didn't like it. Short story collections are often a mixed bag with some great stories and then some not so great.

I liked the concept for this book - take a familiar tale and give it a slant that is unexpected. I would say that all 18 stories do this well. I just found some of the directions the authors chose to not f
Renae
May 22, 2012 Renae rated it really liked it
I gave the overall book a 4 star rating because the premise for the book was outstanding and the authors did a great job in re-writing a bit of history to fit into many different genres from fantasy to horror to just a mixture of both and more. Terribly Twisted Tales, the title says it all. If you liked fairy tales when you were younger, then you'll love the twist put on those fairy tales by some really awesome authors. As this is a short story collection, I do have my favorites and those are as ...more
Marie
Sep 21, 2015 Marie rated it really liked it
snow white, red riding hood and others like you never read them before
Natalie
Oct 11, 2014 Natalie rated it did not like it
didn't even finish it, it was that bad.
Our Library Mornington
Jan 19, 2011 Our Library Mornington rated it liked it
Shelves: we-recommend
Eighteen familiar fairy tales are re-imagined in this collection of short stories.

Do you like the idea of the three bears recruiting Golda Lockes to help run their moonshine still? Have you ever wondered what the tale of Hansel & Gretel would be like from the witch’s point of view? Ever wanted to know what Snow White would be like without the happy ending?

If so, then you will find these stories a real treat.
Debbie
Overall, this was a solid collection of stories based (sometimes very loosely) on fairy tales and folktales. There were of course some that I did not enjoy as much as the rest, but there were no clear misses for me. I think my favorite stories were "Once They Were Seven" by Chris Pierson, "Three Wishes" by Kelly Swails, and "Capricious Animistic Tempter" by Mickey Zucker Reichert.
Craig Leimkuehler
This is a collection of eighteen stories told by writers of below average ability. Oh, granted a few rose to the level of mediocre but for the most part writing is a hobby for them, not a profession. If you have trouble sleeping this will help to put you asleep.
Lori
Jul 28, 2009 Lori rated it really liked it
A book of fairy tales with a twist. Some were dark, most were humorous, but all were altogether entertaining. My favs among them: "A Charming Murder," "My Great, Great- Grandma Golda Locks," and "The Hundred Year Nap."
Amy
Dec 01, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
I didn't finish reading it all the way. I only got through a few of the stories because I was just reading it to get some information for a class, but what I read I liked and I plan on reading the rest of it when I have time.
Cissa
Oct 16, 2009 Cissa rated it really liked it
Pretty entertaining collection of stories here, with quality that ranged from decent to very good.
Michelle
Dec 18, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Very good stories! I'm excited to read more from several of these authors.
Molly
Sep 24, 2011 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was original. I really enjoyed it!
Ali
Ali rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
Cassie Dowell
Cassie Dowell marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Bigmrod05
Bigmrod05 marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Steven Leatherwood
Steven Leatherwood marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Eliot Chaffee
Eliot Chaffee marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Bonsai Cake
Bonsai Cake rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Rob Gee
Rob Gee marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Dresha
Dresha marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Robbyn
Robbyn marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Christan Webb
Christan Webb marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Laranna Knight
Laranna Knight marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Ashley Hebert
Ashley Hebert marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • We See a Different Frontier: A Postcolonial Speculative Fiction Anthology
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • Murder by Magic: Twenty Tales of Crime and the Supernatural
  • Quicksilver & Shadow: Collected Early Stories, Vol. 2: Contempory, Dark Fantasy, and Science Fiction Stories.
  • Lightspeed: Year One
  • Irresistible Forces
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2007
  • Once Upon a Crime
  • Curse of the Full Moon: A Werewolf Anthology
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...