Terribly Twisted Tales

Terribly Twisted Tales

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Eighteen original stories that take familiar fairy tales and shift them around to give an entirely new slant.

Fairy tales are among the earliest fantasies we are exposed to when young and impressionable. They stay with us throughout our lives, whether in their original versions or filtered thorugh cartoon retellings.

What more fun could a fantasy writer have than to take...more
Published May 5th 2009 by DAW (first published February 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Terribly Twisted Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Terribly Twisted Tales

Nine Stories by J.D. SalingerThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeA Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'ConnorDubliners by James JoyceThe Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
Collections of Short Stories
448th out of 1,610 books — 1,273 voters
Cinder by Marissa MeyerBeastly by Alex FlinnA Kiss in Time by Alex FlinnCloaked by Alex FlinnBeauty by Robin McKinley
Fractured/ Retellings Fairytales
69th out of 131 books — 176 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa
Kristin
Approaching famous fairy tales from a different direction, the eighteen stories in Terribly Twisted Tales will challenge the reader’s preconceived notion of a fairy tale. This anthology edited by Jean Rabe and Martin H. Greenberg includes stories by Dennis L. McKiernan, Annie Jones, Chris Pierson, Mickey Zucker Reichert, Mary Louis Eklund, Robert E. Vardeman, Kathleen Watness, Jody Lynn Nye, Jim C. Hines, Steven D. Sullivan, Brendan DuBois, Paul Genesse, Ramsey Lundock, Skip & Penny Williams...more
LibrayDanielle
some of these stories were fantastic (Capricious Animistic Tempter) and some were fun, but mediocre (waifs) and some I disliked (rapunzel strikes back). the ones I disliked the most were the shorts that turned a fairy tale into a modern story. not a modern fairy tale, just a story. like the Rapunzel one. it had so little to do with a fairy tale if it hadn't been for the "let down your..." bit it wouldn't have had any relation.
Patty
This is where I like Good Reads better than Shelfari. On Good Reads, two stars are "It was okay." and that is exactly where I am with this book. The same two stars on Shelfari say I didn't like it. Short story collections are often a mixed bag with some great stories and then some not so great.

I liked the concept for this book - take a familiar tale and give it a slant that is unexpected. I would say that all 18 stories do this well. I just found some of the directions the authors chose to not f...more
Renae
I gave the overall book a 4 star rating because the premise for the book was outstanding and the authors did a great job in re-writing a bit of history to fit into many different genres from fantasy to horror to just a mixture of both and more. Terribly Twisted Tales, the title says it all. If you liked fairy tales when you were younger, then you'll love the twist put on those fairy tales by some really awesome authors. As this is a short story collection, I do have my favorites and those are as...more
Our Library Mornington
Eighteen familiar fairy tales are re-imagined in this collection of short stories.

Do you like the idea of the three bears recruiting Golda Lockes to help run their moonshine still? Have you ever wondered what the tale of Hansel & Gretel would be like from the witch’s point of view? Ever wanted to know what Snow White would be like without the happy ending?

If so, then you will find these stories a real treat.
Debbie
Overall, this was a solid collection of stories based (sometimes very loosely) on fairy tales and folktales. There were of course some that I did not enjoy as much as the rest, but there were no clear misses for me. I think my favorite stories were "Once They Were Seven" by Chris Pierson, "Three Wishes" by Kelly Swails, and "Capricious Animistic Tempter" by Mickey Zucker Reichert.
Craig Leimkuehler
This is a collection of eighteen stories told by writers of below average ability. Oh, granted a few rose to the level of mediocre but for the most part writing is a hobby for them, not a profession. If you have trouble sleeping this will help to put you asleep.
Lori
A book of fairy tales with a twist. Some were dark, most were humorous, but all were altogether entertaining. My favs among them: "A Charming Murder," "My Great, Great- Grandma Golda Locks," and "The Hundred Year Nap."
Amy
I didn't finish reading it all the way. I only got through a few of the stories because I was just reading it to get some information for a class, but what I read I liked and I plan on reading the rest of it when I have time.
Cissa
Pretty entertaining collection of stories here, with quality that ranged from decent to very good.
Michelle
Very good stories! I'm excited to read more from several of these authors.
Molly
This was original. I really enjoyed it!
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Jessi
Jessi marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Adalira Morningstar
Adalira Morningstar marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Wendy Christine Allen
Wendy Christine Allen marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Kit
Kit marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Arthur Allievi
Arthur Allievi marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
  • Swan Sister: Fairy Tales Retold
  • Shelf Life: Fantastic Stories Celebrating Bookstores
  • Once Upon a Crime
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • Dancing with the Ghosts of Whales (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #4)
  • Rath and Storm (Magic: The Gathering: Anthology, #3)
  • Murder by Magic: Twenty Tales of Crime and the Supernatural
  • From the Borderlands: Stories of Terror and Madness (Borderlands, # 5)
  • Misspelled
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • Changing the World: All-New Tales of Valdemar
  • Lorwyn (Magic: The Gathering: Lorwyn Cycle, #1)
  • Waters Luminous and Deep
  • Bone Handbook
  • Women of Wonder, the Contemporary Years: Science Fiction by Women from the 1970s to the 1990s
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...
The Dean Koontz Companion Foundation's Friends Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes Sherlock Holmes in America The Further Adventures of Batman