Start by marking “Choke” as Want to Read:
Choke

Choke

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  2,044 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Chuck Chandler has choked on more than one occasion--first as a pro tennis player at Wimbledon, then as a womanizing coach at posh tennis clubs around the country. Now at Key Westís Old Racquet Club, Chuck gets involved with the wrong married woman-the enticing Clare Carras, married to an enigmatic older man--and soon he is in way over his head. Enter Tommy Sculley, a reti ...more
Published September 12th 1996 by HarperTorch (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Choke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Choke

James Thane
Sep 01, 2011 James Thane rated it liked it
Chuck Chandler choked on the most important point of his career as a professional tennis player. Through the years that followed, he's been slipping gradually down through the ranks, and now, at forty-four, he's reduced to giving tennis lessons at a small club in Key West. Chuck lost his last job by playing around with the wife of the club's chairman, but having not learned his lesson, he's soon involved with another married woman in Key West, the sexy and mysterious Clare Carras.

Tommy Sculley i
Dawnie
Sep 25, 2012 Dawnie rated it really liked it
I actually found this book while looking for another book entitled Choke. I'd say my real rating is probably somewhere between 3.5-75, but its getting the round up. Believe it or not, this is my first Stuart Woods book and I am hooked. This one is set in Key West (which I love reading about places I've been and loved) and is a murder story where one of our main characters is on the hook for the whole deal. Great story!
Tracy
Jan 31, 2008 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-assault
The abridged version - my first experience with the author. Maybe because of the abridging process, the story was pretty "fluffy". Lots of convenient coincidences.
However, once I was finished with this book, I immediately went to my local library to get another- "Heat" - (on tape) by this author. The convenient coincidences were still there, but yet again they didn't irritate me.
Back to this book - the reader on the tape? Obviously hadn't read the book before. While it didn't sound like a 4th g
Michelle
Mar 03, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
Read the whole book one rainy evening. I'll have to read more by this author to really get a feel for his writing. The ending had a bit of a rushed feel to it, and this was back in the days when people knew they should have safe sex but didn't, which always makes me question their judgment. Still an enjoyable read.
Gay N
Jan 07, 2015 Gay N rated it really liked it
Chuck, a tennis pro, lives on a boat. He "choked" at Wimbledon and lost the match. He now lives with his reputation...even named his boat Choke. He is caught up in a murder. This book is suspenseful and entertaining.
Sharon
Jun 30, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
Standalone novel by Stuart Woods, and at first I expected to be disappointed. It centers on a tennis pro who choked when he was winning the Wimbledon. As a result, he's reduced to being the tennis pro at a country club on Key West, FL. I thought, oh great! A lot of tennis stuff. BUT it did not focus on tennis, but rather on the guests that befriend him (especially the ladies) and what happens when he sleeps with the wrong one. A twisting tale that had several surprises and was a pleasure to list ...more
Marti
Aug 18, 2014 Marti rated it it was amazing
This was the best Stuart Woods novel that I recall reading. The main character is Chuck,a tennis pro working in Key West, Florida. He gets to have a short affair with an exceedingly gorgeous woman, and later gets accused of the murder of her husband, after the three of them go diving on a wreck. Luckily, he has friends who help him out. He is not your average guy--lives on a restored boat and has a restored sports car.
Jeanne
Aug 24, 2014 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Well, I enjoyed this book very much. It was a easy read, with just enough mystery to hold my interest. Clare Carras seems to be a black widow, however proving it is very difficult for detective Tommy Sculley of the Florida Keys police department and his partner Daryl Haynes. Too many murders are happening and Clare seems to be connected to them all. A good read.
Gerry
Apr 29, 2016 Gerry rated it it was ok
Started strong but lost steam at the end, as Woods entangled too many conflicting details in his already complex scenario. A fun read, but a disappointing conclusion to a murder mystery featuring tennis pros, former call-girls, and presumed mobsters in double- triple- quadruple-cross in Key West, Florida.
Elizabeth Meadows
This wasn't really my type of book. I just listened to it because I got a box of audio books free and thought I would see what it was about. It started out a bit on the sleazy side of things, but it did improve slightly. There were a couple of surprises near the end and the plot was interesting.
Will
Jun 09, 2013 Will rated it really liked it
Pro tennis bum Chuck Chandler redeems his life. Chuck Chandler is forever known for choking at triple match point to lose Wimbledon, and he is resigned to a life as a teaching tennis pro. His life gets exciting when Harry and Clare Carras enter it for lessons, and she is rocket hot. She soon robs Chuck of his bodily fluids and he becomes the unwitting shmuck in a disappearance scheme linked to mob partners he bamboozled in LA. Carras' plan includes faking Harry's death scuba diving and setting C ...more
Robert Stephens
Jun 01, 2016 Robert Stephens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic mystery by the best mystery writer alive today!!

A delicious mystery of many suspects with a very believable cast of characters. There are many dead ends and many avenues, this is good mystery. Read it, you'll like it. I read it in less than 20 hours v
Susan Washington
May 19, 2016 Susan Washington rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced Thriller!!!! Read it in two days. Just when you think you know what's coming next...you don't. I had to read the beginning of one chapter again to understand what was happening...lol. Stuart Woods doesn't disappoint. Great read on rainy weekend.
Judith
Oct 07, 2015 Judith rated it liked it
This book is typical Stuart Woods. It is good and enjoyable as a day read kind of book. Lots of sex, money and power, and then more casual sex. There was enough suspense to keep my interest, just not much character depth.
Kimberly Ruyle
Dec 06, 2014 Kimberly Ruyle rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It is the first that I have read from Stuart Woods and I plan on reading more. Choke had great character development and I did not find it to be too predictable.
Katharine Ott
"Choke" - written by Stuart Woods and published in 1995 by HarperCollins. A middle-fiddle sort of mystery, not especially gripping, but fun to read.
Wayne
Jan 24, 2016 Wayne rated it it was amazing
Stuart Woods is known for his plot twists and turns and this one tops them all! You'll never guess right at how this one ends!
Phillip III
Dec 15, 2015 Phillip III rated it really liked it
Read this a long time ago. Long before Goodreads. And wanted to add it to my "Read" collection. Best I recall -- Loved it!
Jane J. Janas, Ph.D.
Jun 21, 2016 Jane J. Janas, Ph.D. rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this mild suspense story. It had a touch of romance and I loved the Key West setting.
Bea
Jul 02, 2011 Bea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good who-done-it read. The story is about a pro tennis player who choked and lost his match. We catch up with him later in life when he has taken a job in Key West as a local tennis pro. He gets seduced by a rich man's young wife and the story is off and running. Add in a retired NYPD homicide cop who also has taken a new job in Key West PD. Add in a couple of murders (among which is the rich man), some mysterious facts, an LA connection, the mob, and lots of pretty women and you have ...more
Irl Newham
Feb 26, 2014 Irl Newham rated it really liked it
Books like this one makes Wwoods hard to tell from Paterson.
Bob Ferguson
Jan 20, 2016 Bob Ferguson rated it liked it
Typical S. Woods. good complicated plot. Lots of action.
Ace
May 03, 2014 Ace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story with, maybe, a little too much foreshadowing that makes the ending predictable.
Lauren
May 11, 2008 Lauren rated it it was ok
i wasn't really feeling this book. it's the only thing of his i've read, and while the premise was interesting and it made some worthwhile comments on contemporary society and addition, the writing was really gimmicky. his use of repetition was kindof cool at first, but would have been a lot more effective if he didn't beat you over the head with it every 2 pages. it just got really obvious in some places, like the writer was holding our hand and walking us though the symbolism/analogies, which ...more
Wes Bartlett
Mar 05, 2016 Wes Bartlett rated it liked it
Not one of his best but it was somewhat interesting.
Zainab Ahmed
Feb 16, 2014 Zainab Ahmed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first book by this author & am glad I picked it up! Replete with twists & turns, this one is a real page turner. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!
Sue
Jan 24, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A well written, can't put down book by Stuart Woods. The story has a nice amount of twists that keep surprising the reader. Very enjoyable!
Nancy
Jul 28, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
While this book was different from the other book I read by Stuart Woods, White Cargo, it is written in a similar style. I have to admit I wasn't always sure who the good guys were and was not sure how he was going to bring everything together and wrap it up until the end - although I did have my suspicions and they were fairly accurate. If you like detective novels - fast paced, easy reading, I would recommend his books. As for me, I think I'll wait a while and move on to a different genre for ...more
Lori
Nov 01, 2015 Lori rated it liked it
I liked the book and its twists and turns. Maybe I missed something but who was the guy that Chuck called the "Turk" that followed him around on the scooter?
Kathleen
Jan 31, 2014 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Cassettes. Richard Ferrone.
  • The Callsign (Pike Logan, #2.5)
  • Shadows (Craig Burch, #2)
  • The Pied Piper (Boldt/Matthews #5)
  • Something Deadly
  • Manner of Death (Alan Gregory, #7)
  • Eagle Talons (The Iron Horse Chronicles, #1)
  • Buried Evidence (Lily Forrester, #2)
  • True Justice (Butch Karp, #12)
  • Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #2)
  • Wings of Refuge
  • The Zurich Numbers (November Man, #5)
  • Deadlocked (Lou Mason Mystery #4)
  • Suspects
  • Fatal Care (Joanna Blalock #7)
  • Crown Jewel
  • The Crazy Game
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...