Start by marking “Kissing the Hag The Dark Goddess and the Unacceptable Nature of Women” as Want to Read:
Kissing the Hag The Dark Goddess and the Unacceptable Nature of Women

Kissing the Hag The Dark Goddess and the Unacceptable Nature of Women

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Kissing the Hag is a wonderfully intelligent, earthy, cosmic diary of the feminine life... this life-soaked book remains close to the fluids of body and soul... It's an obvious gift-book for women going through a life passage, but it could also be important for men, who are closer to the mysteries presented here than they might wish to be. Thomas Moore, author of Care of t ...more
Published November 13th 2008 by John Hunt Publishing (first published October 31st 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Kissing the Hag The Dark Goddess and the Unacceptable Nature of Women

Celestial Elf
As a male reader, I particularly liked the moral in the Arthurian Marriage of Gawain at the start. Beautifully, almost poetically written at times, with a very interesting mix between analysis and personalized accounts. I found Orr's exploration of the seven Goddesses, which I do consider as underlying female archetypes, to be sensitive and insightful. Personally however, I would have enjoyed this work more if I had read it at a younger age when so much of which she speaks was still shrouded in ...more
Victoria
If ever there was a book that has personally spoken to me then this is it, as through it I feel I have rediscovered myself. This book is a beautifully written account of what it truly means to be a woman especially from a Pagan perspective. It teaches us not only to understand, but to embrace the darker aspects of a woman's nature rather than suppress it.
In this modern and conventional world it is so easy to lose touch with one's Wild and beautiful nature and conform to what society dictates th
K.S. Thompson
I was drawn to a discussion on another social networking site and a list of books recommended by one of the members. This book leapt out at me and after enjoying “Eating in the Light of the Moon”, I decided to order it. As it turns out, for me this was the perfect follow-up.

While this isn’t an “easy” read (it can trigger a lot of emotion), I was able to devour this book in two sittings. The author blends storytelling and retellings of life-altering events, enabling you to view issues from sides
Trine
"Kissing the Hag" is a book for every woman, from every walk of life, of every age. While Emma Restall-Orr comes from an animist Druid background, I find that this book is relevant for all women, regardless of their background, and throughout, the book is peppered by personal accounts from many different women. I'd even recommend it to male readers to gain some insight into the wild woman (and I'd love to find a similar book from a male perspective).

The author goes through the facets of the Hag,
This is another wonderful book by Emma Restell Orr. Her beautiful prose lulls you into a false sense of security and then she makes you think about subjects you were intending to consider until you have formed your own viewpoint.
Sydney Bell
Some powerful gems of wisdom. I think I will be coming back to this book from time to time- glad I have a copy of it.
Elizabeth
Starting with a well-told retelling of the Arthurian tale “The Marriage of Gawain,” Orr explores seven goddesses (I keep thinking of them as archetypes): the virgin, the whore, the mother, the bitch, the witch, the old bag, and the hag. The book is written for a female audience, but the author welcomes male readers in the hopes that the book will help them understand the women they know a little better, and because under these various goddesses there’s a “current” that is common to human nature ...more
Elizabeth
What an excellent book; I'd had it down as to read for a long time and thought that I would actually get to read it and now that I have I wish I'd read it sooner. The whole thing was certainly written by a lady who knows her subject with a passion (and not just because she happens to be female) that shines through the whole thing...even when that thing is mud, blood, snips and snails.
Nicky
Very good but it peters out a little at the end and, although the author really gets to the heart of the dark side of the feminine, there's a few little faux pas throughrout that bring the rating down (such as referring to Down Syndrome by the archaic mongolism.) Despite its flaws, it's worth a read and you'll almost certainly find something that speaks to you here.
Bryn
A thoughtful, challenging, inspiring book exploring the unnaceptable aspects of femininity, and how to live with them! This is now my Favourite ERO book, I expect will be re reading it. It's not just for women, blokes may find this really helpful too.
I acquired this book for 10p in a crazy special offer Emma ran this summer. The book was a delight to read. It gave an accessible broad overview to starting druidry from a woman's perspective.
I tried to keep reading then remembered that life is too short. The book did not speak to me, felt repetitive. I friend I respect recommended it, so I'm sure others will enjoy.
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Sally Ann Russell
Sally Ann Russell marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Jeff Lilly
Jeff Lilly marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Lisa Mitchem
Lisa Mitchem marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Lauraine
Lauraine marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Sandra Jett
Sandra Jett marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
*Shanti*
*Shanti* marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Melinda Sabo
Melinda Sabo marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
[from Wikipedia] -- Emma Restall Orr is a British neo-druid, animist, priest, poet and author. She worked for the Order of Bards Ovates and Druids in the early 1990s, becoming an Ovate tutor. In 1993 she became joint chief of the British Druid Order (BDO) staying until 2002. Together with the Order founder Philip Shallcrass, she developed the BDO into one of the largest and most influential of its ...more
More about Emma Restall Orr...
Living Druidry: Magical Spirituality for the Wild Soul Living with Honour: A Pagan Ethics Spirits of the Sacred Grove Druid Priestess: An Intimate Journey Through the Pagan Year Principles of - Druidry: The only introduction you'll ever need (Thorsons principles series)