Start by marking “Open: Inside the Ropes at Bethpage Black” as Want to Read:
Open: Inside the Ropes at Bethpage Black

Open: Inside the Ropes at Bethpage Black

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  557 ratings  ·  35 reviews
John Feinstein, whom the Boston Globe calls 'the best writer of sports books in America today,' captures the fiercest four days in golf as no other writer could. Chronicling the U.S. Open as it was played, for the first time in history, on a true public golf course-and one of the most challenging courses in the country (only one player, Tiger Woods, finished under par at B ...more
Published April 12th 2004 by Back Bay Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Open, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open

Greg
Jun 18, 2007 Greg rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: golf fans
Shelves: nonfiction, sports, 2007
For a sports book, this was very good, and I would give it more than three stars, but it was a sports book, and to give it a better score would be unfair to books that are just plain better. The book tells the story of the 2002 U.S. Open held at Bethpage Black - the first U.S. Open at a public course - from the day the idea was conceived until the end of the championship. The story is compelling, and if you enjoy golf, worth reading. There is nothing challenging about reading this book except ke ...more
Robert
This book is improperly titled, in my opinion. It says "Inside the Ropes at Bethpage Black" as part of the title. There's no denying that, once again, John Feinstein provides deft sports writing from a "behind the scenes" perspective. However, this book is not so much about the U.S. Open participants and what happenes "inside the ropes" during the event as it is about the personnel at the USGA, and what they endure in preparations leading up to a major tournament. Bethpage State Park in Farmingd ...more
Chuck
I have read a number of Feinstein's sports books and have enjoyed them all. This particular book surprised me since I had expected insight on the golf pros that made up this famous fraternity. Although there was some interesting insight, much of the book was directed at the staff of the USGA and those that were involved in the decisions of chosing Bethpage as the sight of the 2002 U.S. Open. There was some interesting background considering that the destruction of the World Trade Center had rece ...more
Ashton
I just started the book today and so far its pretty good. I have been around golf for a long time my uncles are big golfers every weekend.

John Feinstein, who is the author of Open, has created a book that explains how the 2002 U.S. Open Championship came into being. It is taking at the public golf club in Bethpage, New York. This book is really good is gives the inside in the open championship. I really think you should read this if you are into golf.

Level I
Q:What does Tiger Woods think of the O
M. Milner
Every couple of years, it seems, Feinstein pumps out another golf book. His first, A Good Walk Spoiled, remains his best... but his other books aren't awful, either.

Open is about the US Open at Bethpage Black in New York state. Notable for being the first major to play at a public course in years, this is less about the tournament itself then it is about how ideas can become reality; in this case, a beaten down public course getting a complete makeover and becoming a major.

So why does that matte
Kush Sikand

Open: Inside the Ropes at Bethpage Black by John Feinstein chronicles the journey to the 2002 U.S. Open at Bethpage Black in New York. He takes us through all the struggles the United States Golf Association (U.S.G.A.) faced when they decided to go to a true municipal (public) course for the first time, instead of a private course. And according to the David Fay, Senior Executive Director at the U.S.G.A., it all started with a “I have a dream” memo that he sent to his two most trusted confidants
Jim Serger
Vision is what this book is all about--Bethpage Black a public course becoming the home of the US Open. It is about ones dream and the sheer guts, boldness of cresting something from a napkin to one that generated 13 million dollars in profit on it first go around in New York. Excellent book on dreams becoming reality. The author did a superb job on all the details to make this come alive. I did the audio book, very clear.
A plodding chronicle of the 2012 US Open golf tournament at Bethpage Black. We listened to this audio book on a road trip. By about the tenth person - with minor bearing on the main story - the author introduced by going back to the town of their his (for they are nearly all men) birth and walking us through where he went to school and when he first played golf, I was over this book.
Nick
Feb 04, 2009 Nick added it
Shelves: q32008
John Feinstein, who is the author of OPEN, shows readers the hard work, determination, and inspiration it takes to turn a public golf course into the host of the U.S. Open. The 2002 U.S. Open at Bethpage Black was the first time in history that the greatest championship in golf was held at a true public course. Telling how hardworking men and women brought the rough-around-the edges course to legendary status, the book also follows famous golfers as they tried to win the Open in 2002. Tiger Wood ...more
Jennifer Burke
Every golfer, or any sports fan, who has ever watched some portion of a golf tournament on TV should read Feinstein's wonderful story not just of the US Open but of how a golf tournament really comes to be. It is truly a behind the ropes and inside look at the people, the characters, the challenges and history of one of American sports greatest events. Feinstein's storytelling makes this compelling even for those who are not die hard sports fans or golf nuts -- and can turn those on the edge of ...more
Mike H
Interesting book for golfers
Thomas
Good reading for those who like golf. Gives a good deal of information on what it takes to run an Open tournment and keep everyone happy. Lots of inside information on what goes on behind closed doors. I enjoyed it more because I've played Bethpage Black course a few times and got to know how hard it is to score well on it, and also some of the hole layouts that were described in the book were very familar to me.
Dan  Logue
Unfortunately, Feinstein makes a mess of the book with his seemingly unending stream of cheese and his inability to hide his caustic animosity towards Tiger for not recognizing his talent as a journalist and granting him a shred of access. The process of converting a "muni' into a US Open level course is pretty interesting though...
CAC
bleech. Who gives a crap about the machinations of the pre-tournament rituals at the U.S. Open. So Feinstein had access to David Fey's inner sanctum and reported on it. Snoooozee. Stick with his previous book, A Good Walk Spoiled. It's about the trials and tribulations on the tour.
Dan Hilton
Great book, can be a bit overwhelming with so many names, but is a great insight into everything that goes into building not just the US Open at Bethpage, but the juggling act of managing upcoming Opens.
Terry
Feinstein is inclusive and detailed in writing about the people that made the U.S. Open at Bethpage Black happen. It took him much too long to get to the golf, but it was almost worth it once he did.
Eric
Aug 23, 2008 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: golf fans
Probably Feinstein's best book. There's so much detail on the setup and things that go on pre-tournament and behind the scenes, and you never see or hear about that stuff so it's really interesting.
Dan
My favorite golf book ever. Lot's of great information about how the USGA operates behind the scenes and how the U.S. Open is pulled together. If you watch golf, you'll love this book.
Chris Willis
If you like Feinstein's writing, you'll enjoy this book. Once again he puts you inside the ropes and gives a nice behind the scenes look at the 2002 US Open. Very entertaining.
Patrick
One of my favorite of Feinstein's, very interesting read on what it takes to run the National Championship, much less for the first time at a public golf course.
Amanda
Very interesting behind the scenes look at the US Open played on a public links course. A viewpoint of what it really takes to put on an event like that.
Gary
I love this author's books. Though I enjoyed this book I gave it only 3 stars because it lacked the drama of many of Feistein's other sport books.
Garry Summers
Another must read for anyone interested in golf. It's fascinating to learn about what goes on behind the scenes of staging a U.S. Open.
Shawn Williacy
Loved this book. I have read a few of Feinstein's other books & I have 3 more on my shelf waiting to be read in the near future.
James
Well-reported, somewhat interesting description of all the behind-the-scenes work that goes into the U.S. Open.
Rusty
BORING!!!!! I really like Feinstein, but god, do I SO not care about the US Open at Bethpage golf course.
Jstrick
This book made me realize that I was probably going to read as much by Feinstein as I could.
Brady
good behind the scenes look at preparation and set-up of a major golf tournament.
Phil Simon
A crazy difficult course is detailed in Feinstein's inimitable way.
Rob
I'm a golfer and actually went to this event, so I liked this book.
  • The Greatest Game Ever Played
  • Are You Kidding Me?: The Story of Rocco Mediate's Extraordinary Battle with Tiger Woods at the US Open
  • Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf
  • Dead Solid Perfect
  • Who's Your Caddy?: Looping for the Great, Near Great, and Reprobates of Golf
  • Harvey Penick's Little Red Book: Lessons and Teachings From a Lifetime of Golf
  • Tommy's Honor: The Story of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris, Golf's Founding Father and Son
  • A Course Called Ireland: A Long Walk in Search of a Country, a Pint, and the Next Tee
  • Final Rounds: A Father, a Son, the Golf Journey of a Lifetime
  • Big Show: Inside ESPN's Sportscenter
  • The Downhill Lie: A Hacker's Return to a Ruinous Sport
  • Why My Wife Thinks I'm an Idiot: The Life and Times of a Sportscaster Dad
  • God Save the Fan: How Preening Sportscasters, Athletes Who Speak in the Third Person, and the Occasional Convicted Quarterback Have Taken the Fun Out of Sports (And How We Can Get It Back)
  • Golf My Way
  • Tip Off: How the 1984 NBA Draft Changed Basketball Forever
  • ESPN: The Uncensored History
  • Golf is Not a Game of Perfect
  • One Magical Sunday: (But Winning Isn't Everything)
John Feinstein is one of the nation’s most successful and prolific sports authors who has written 24 books to date. His most recent work Are You Kidding Me? , written with Rocco Mediate, was released on May 18, 2009, and is presently on the shelf at bookstores everywhere. In addition, he is an award-winning columnist and regular contributor in both radio and television.

John Feinstein is a 1977 gr
More about John Feinstein...
Season on the Brink: A Year with Bob Knight and the Indiana Hoosiers Last Shot: A Final Four Mystery (The Sports Beat, #1) A Good Walk Spoiled: Days and Nights on the PGA Tour Next Man Up: A Year Behind the Lines in Today's NFL The Punch: One Night, Two Lives, and the Fight That Changed  Basketball Forever