Start by marking “Yummy Yucky” as Want to Read:
Yummy Yucky

Yummy Yucky (Leslie Patricelli Board Books)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,587 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
'Spaghetti is yummy, worms are yucky. Sandwiches are yummy, sand is yucky.' With bold illustrations, Leslie Patricelli humorously introduces concepts to very young children. The book also has a double spread section featuring 'more yummy things' and 'more yucky things'.
Unknown Binding, 26 pages
Published April 5th 2004 by Not Avail (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Yummy Yucky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yummy Yucky

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonGuess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratneyBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Books for one-year-old children
32nd out of 211 books — 185 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Shapes Las Formas by Othen Donald Dale CummingsThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
The All-Time Best Books for Toddlers
67th out of 109 books — 132 voters

More lists with this book...

Duke L
Apr 01, 2013 Duke L rated it it was amazing
An epic tale of the perseverance of one one-haired child against his own nature. The unnamed protagonist exists in a sparsely-populated world where everything and everyone is deeply polarized. He is repeatedly forced to choose between two competing families in a saga reminiscent of the feud between the Hatfields and McCoys. Again and again he tests objects, both permanent and impermanent, against his mental demons and decides their fates. At times, it seems he is aware of the reader and merely t ...more
Avid
Apr 27, 2010 Avid rated it really liked it
Are you wondering I am reviewing this children’s book? Why, of course, because I read it. My kid is 17 months old and shows an affinity to books. He loves books with big pictures, so when I got this book for him, he was ecstatic.

Yummy Yucky is a boardbook which means no matter what my tyke does, he can’t tear it. How I wish more things in this world were toddler-proofed in this way! The main character of this book is a cute little guy in diapers and a strand of hair sticking out on his head. Aut
Kim
Jan 12, 2016 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bust out laughing at the blue crayon page. This is now my second-favorite Leslie Patricelli book (you just can't top Toot).
Chanel Earl
Jul 30, 2012 Chanel Earl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-youngadult
This book is really fun. I love the yucky things: caterpillars, soap, kitty litter, too much ice cream. My kids love to "read" this to me, and it has even turned into a fun game. They like to think of a yummy thing and then think of a yucky thing that sounds similar (grape juice is yummy, grapefruit juice is yucky).

I think this is a great book to read to kids. The only flaw with it is that it labels hot sauce as yucky. My oldest daughter always corrects that page, "Daddy likes hot sauce," she sa
Russell
Entertainingly simple, easy enough to read even to those who might need help identifying food. Cutely illustrated, but fundamentally flawed.

Should we really be teaching that coffee is yucky, or perhaps just that it's an acquired taste and not something for babies to drink? Hot sauce is anything but yucky, but not something I'd be sampling as a diapered infant. And what of those cultures that eat worms? Shoehorning these items into the simplistic categories is hardly appropriate. After reading th
Saashya Rodrigo
Jun 23, 2012 Saashya Rodrigo rated it it was amazing
Leslie Patricelli always finds a way to make the simplest concepts so fun to read about! These illustrations are adorable!!! I am in love with all the books in this series.
Katherine Parker
Aug 21, 2008 Katherine Parker rated it really liked it
Shelves: max-s-shelf
Soup is yummy. Soap is yucky. Unfortunately, Max also thinks that BOOKS are yummy right now, so we had to return this to the library before it was devoured.
Natalie
Dec 10, 2007 Natalie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the too young for "How to Eat Fried Worms" set
I learned what not to eat.
Traci
Aug 13, 2014 Traci rated it really liked it

My young toddler clung to this book after I read it to him when he was sick one night. For about a week, this was all we could read to him (although I was very happy he wanted to sit and read). I like the illustrations and the colorful pages and my son loves the opposite reactions that we have to yummy/yucky foods. I especially like the last two pages that list more yummy/yucky foods so we have the opportunity to point to each food and it's a great way to teach reading left to right.
Melissa
Jan 05, 2016 Melissa rated it liked it
I love Leslie Patricelli books, but I take issue with a few pages from this book. Coffee is the lifeblood that fuels the dreams of champions...not yucky! I don't want a child who only eats bland foods - hot sauce...not yucky! And couldn't there have been a couple more healthy foods under the yummy section? Why not tell kids that carrots are yummy, not chocolate sauce and ice cream?

Anyways, the pictures are always fun.
Hyacinth
Feb 05, 2015 Hyacinth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: CHERYL WINDOM DAVIS
Shelves: children
I am always looking for books that will tickle and spark an interest and love for reading in my grandson. I found this book at Goodwill on bargain day, lol. I literally laughed out loud and made ugly faces at some of the book's suggestions at what is yummy and what is yucky. I can't wait to read it to Ashton to get his response. I'm sure this book will quickly be one of his favorite go to books.
Lynn Swayze
Jun 13, 2013 Lynn Swayze rated it it was amazing
On the left page is something "yummy"

On the right page is something "yucky"

Examples include things like chocolate sauce (yummy!) or hot sauce (yucky!). These little lessons (don't eat sand) come wrapped up in easy words and a very silly baby. Baby eats hot sauce? Sure! Leslie Patricelli makes it fun.

Part of the appeal of this book, for children, is that they can pretend to "read" it themselves even if they can't read. This is essential for early reading. The practice helps them learn to read fro
Keshia
Oct 27, 2015 Keshia rated it really liked it
Shelves: andrew-s-read
One of her better books. several pages, mostly good advice. One page says 'hot sauce' is yucky... which i'm not sure i necessarily agree with. Otherwise, a pretty good book.

There's another page that says, "Mommy's coffee is yucky" and I usually just say "coffee is yucky" because this mommy doesn't drink any and also thinks it's yucky!
The Yearling House
Aug 26, 2014 The Yearling House rated it it was amazing
Shelves: one-to-two-years
Another one of Leslie's gems. Especially useful while letting your crawler explore parks, beaches or other outdoor spaces. A word of caution: In my opinion, please don't start this book with toddlers going through a phase when they are fighting for control. They may just put stuff in their mouths to defy you! :-) (Just my personal opinion)
gina
Woods was not interested in this book at all. Which was surprising to me! I think it's because he didn't know most of the words (boogers and earwax? not part of our daily convos yet). Maybe when he's older we will try it again. :) But at 17 months it's just not interesting enough to hold his attention at all.
Jenna
This was the star of today's baby storytime. Parents looked aghast while the toddlers were entertained. The very simple illustrations were perfect and expressive and hopefully were easy for them to relate.

Mm. Fish flakes.
Becky Shaknovich
Jul 29, 2013 Becky Shaknovich rated it really liked it
"Blueberries are yummy. Blue crayons are yucky. Soup is yummy. Soap is yucky. Sandwiches are yummy. Sand is yucky." True enough. Most children will have to learn these lessons on their own, but it can't hurt to read this funny book, too!

"Burgers are yummy. Boogers are yucky."

"More yucky things" include: garbage, dog food, kitty litter, and CENTIPEDE.

ETA: I only give the book 4 stars because, like the other L. Patricelli board books in this series, it depicts a baby that reads to me as white an
Simone Brito
Oct 23, 2015 Simone Brito rated it really liked it
Shelves: ione
Ione loved it, she enjoyed saying yummmmm... Simple and cute for a 20 month toddler. There are some new words like earwax etc...
Casey
Aug 17, 2014 Casey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ita-s-books
This is the most fun to read with a near 2 year old. It's a nice frame for introducing new foods too.
Cara Byrne
Jan 14, 2016 Cara Byrne rated it it was ok
From burgers to boogers, Patricelli explores appealing and revolting food with an American 2 year old in mind. Engaging to Lu and had cute illustrations. A toddler storytime book.
Tyson_serena Brown
The kids love to make me pretend to eat yucky things. This is a family favorite!
Ryan Parker
Aug 22, 2015 Ryan Parker rated it really liked it
Burgers are yummy, boogers are yucky. These are important life lessons.
Ruth Ann
Apr 02, 2015 Ruth Ann rated it liked it
Shelves: board-books, humour
Funny, funny pictures of the "yucky" side!

Like hot sauce. :)
Savannah
Feb 10, 2014 Savannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childrens
My 2 yr old son, T loves this book. His favorite part is the back pages…
More yummy things:

fish food
too much ice cream
Meagan Martin
Sep 21, 2009 Meagan Martin rated it really liked it
This is a board book about opposites. A little toddler tries two different items on each page and says if they are “yucky” or “yummy.” Ex: “Apple pie is yummy. Mud pies are yucky.” I loved the illustrations in this book. They were very simple, yet easy to focus on and understand. The story line is very basic and easy to follow along with. It’s also a great book because it helps toddlers begin to recognize opposites. This would be a good one to read over and over with your toddler and soon they c ...more
Him
Jan 15, 2016 Him rated it really liked it
Mom's coffee is not yucky....
Supriya Rao
Sep 25, 2014 Supriya Rao rated it it was amazing
All time fav!
Judith Barrientos
Jan 05, 2012 Judith Barrientos rated it it was amazing
We got "yummy yucky" and "quiet Loud" as gifts, since then I've bought 5 other books from Leslie Patricelli and will most likely get the others that I'm missing.

I love the illustrations! Is it wrong I want to rip the book apart and frame some of them? no, seriously.

I have fun reading the simple books to my daughter and she has fun reading them back to me. It always produces giggles and a good time. I also feel that this helps to teach children about opposites, which several of her books address
kim
Dec 05, 2014 kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, kids, picture
perfect!
jacky
Apr 30, 2010 jacky rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: older babies, toddlers
I'm getting to like this author. This one was especailly funny. Each page spread had two similar looking or sounding items, one which is yummy and one which is not okay to eat. At the end, there were lists of other yummy and yucky things. Centipede was the last one, gross! Cute illustrations with bold colors.

This could be a great book for an older child to read to a baby. A non-reader could use the pictures easily to tell the story.
  • That's Not My Dinosaur
  • The Baby Goes Beep
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose! (A Lift-the-Flap Book)
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Baby Beluga
  • Fifteen Animals!
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Peekaboo Morning
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Lunch
  • Trains Go
  • Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book
  • I Kissed the Baby!
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • Whose Nose and Toes?
  • Clip-Clop
  • Big Fat Hen
Leslie Patricelli is the American writer of the books Blankie and Big Little. Leslie Patricelli grew up in Seattle, Washington close to Pine Lake. At college, Leslie Patricelli majored in Communications at the University of Washington. She became an advertising copywriter after college then became a ski instructor in Italy. Leslie Patricelli is also an illustrator for children. She created and ani ...more
More about Leslie Patricelli...

Leslie Patricelli Board Books (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Baby Happy Baby Sad