Yummy Yucky

Yummy Yucky

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  992 ratings  ·  93 reviews
Learning about opposites has never been more fun - or funny - than with this winning board book. Yummy!

Spaghetti is yummy, but worms - and blue crayons, and sand, and other things too gross to mention - are definitely yucky when tasted. Amiably illustrated in a bright, graphic style, Leslie Patricelli’s spirited board book, YUMMY YUCKY stars an obliging, bald, and very exp

Board book, 26 pages
Published April 5th 2004 by Walker Books Ltd (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Yummy Yucky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yummy Yucky

Duke L
An epic tale of the perseverance of one one-haired child against his own nature. The unnamed protagonist exists in a sparsely-populated world where everything and everyone is deeply polarized. He is repeatedly forced to choose between two competing families in a saga reminiscent of the feud between the Hatfields and McCoys. Again and again he tests objects, both permanent and impermanent, against his mental demons and decides their fates. At times, it seems he is aware of the reader and merely t...more
Anjali
Are you wondering I am reviewing this children’s book? Why, of course, because I read it. My kid is 17 months old and shows an affinity to books. He loves books with big pictures, so when I got this book for him, he was ecstatic.

Yummy Yucky is a boardbook which means no matter what my tyke does, he can’t tear it. How I wish more things in this world were toddler-proofed in this way! The main character of this book is a cute little guy in diapers and a strand of hair sticking out on his head. Aut...more
Chanel Earl
This book is really fun. I love the yucky things: caterpillars, soap, kitty litter, too much ice cream. My kids love to "read" this to me, and it has even turned into a fun game. They like to think of a yummy thing and then think of a yucky thing that sounds similar (grape juice is yummy, grapefruit juice is yucky).

I think this is a great book to read to kids. The only flaw with it is that it labels hot sauce as yucky. My oldest daughter always corrects that page, "Daddy likes hot sauce," she sa...more
Saashya Rodrigo
Leslie Patricelli always finds a way to make the simplest concepts so fun to read about! These illustrations are adorable!!! I am in love with all the books in this series.
Katherine Parker
Soup is yummy. Soap is yucky. Unfortunately, Max also thinks that BOOKS are yummy right now, so we had to return this to the library before it was devoured.
Natalie
Dec 10, 2007 Natalie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the too young for "How to Eat Fried Worms" set
I learned what not to eat.
Traci

My young toddler clung to this book after I read it to him when he was sick one night. For about a week, this was all we could read to him (although I was very happy he wanted to sit and read). I like the illustrations and the colorful pages and my son loves the opposite reactions that we have to yummy/yucky foods. I especially like the last two pages that list more yummy/yucky foods so we have the opportunity to point to each food and it's a great way to teach reading left to right.
Lynn Swayze Wilson
On the left page is something "yummy"

On the right page is something "yucky"

Examples include things like chocolate sauce (yummy!) or hot sauce (yucky!). These little lessons (don't eat sand) come wrapped up in easy words and a very silly baby. Baby eats hot sauce? Sure! Leslie Patricelli makes it fun.

Part of the appeal of this book, for children, is that they can pretend to "read" it themselves even if they can't read. This is essential for early reading. The practice helps them learn to read fro...more
Kristy
This small book has simple illustrations and humerous text. It shows what little ones should and shouldn't eat. Good discussion starter for toddlers.

Good for storytime.
Jessica
Adorably illustrated, but my little reading buddy has one correction - hot sauce (and spicy salsa in particular) is not yucky!
Becky
"Blueberries are yummy. Blue crayons are yucky. Soup is yummy. Soap is yucky. Sandwiches are yummy. Sand is yucky." True enough. Most children will have to learn these lessons on their own, but it can't hurt to read this funny book, too!

"Burgers are yummy. Boogers are yucky."

"More yucky things" include: garbage, dog food, kitty litter, and CENTIPEDE.

ETA: I only give the book 4 stars because, like the other L. Patricelli board books in this series, it depicts a baby that reads to me as white an...more
Casey
This is the most fun to read with a near 2 year old. It's a nice frame for introducing new foods too.
Tyson_serena Brown
The kids love to make me pretend to eat yucky things. This is a family favorite!
Savannah
My 2 yr old son, T loves this book. His favorite part is the back pages…
More yummy things:

ear wax
fish food
too much ice cream
Meagan Martin
This is a board book about opposites. A little toddler tries two different items on each page and says if they are “yucky” or “yummy.” Ex: “Apple pie is yummy. Mud pies are yucky.” I loved the illustrations in this book. They were very simple, yet easy to focus on and understand. The story line is very basic and easy to follow along with. It’s also a great book because it helps toddlers begin to recognize opposites. This would be a good one to read over and over with your toddler and soon they c...more
Judith Barrientos
We got "yummy yucky" and "quiet Loud" as gifts, since then I've bought 5 other books from Leslie Patricelli and will most likely get the others that I'm missing.

I love the illustrations! Is it wrong I want to rip the book apart and frame some of them? no, seriously.

I have fun reading the simple books to my daughter and she has fun reading them back to me. It always produces giggles and a good time. I also feel that this helps to teach children about opposites, which several of her books address...more
jacky
Apr 30, 2010 jacky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: older babies, toddlers
I'm getting to like this author. This one was especailly funny. Each page spread had two similar looking or sounding items, one which is yummy and one which is not okay to eat. At the end, there were lists of other yummy and yucky things. Centipede was the last one, gross! Cute illustrations with bold colors.

This could be a great book for an older child to read to a baby. A non-reader could use the pictures easily to tell the story.
Amy Carr
This series of books by Leslie Patricelli is one of my all time favorites. I own as many as I've been able to get my hands on. They are board books and are just as hilarious for a one year old as an 8 year old. Especially if the 8 year old is reading it to the 1-year old. I can't recommend this books enough! Love the illustrations, the presentation of concepts, the potential for "listener" participation, and all the giggles they produce!
Carissa
7.) Yummy Yucky By Leslie Patricelli
Patricelli, L (2003). Yummy Yucky. Candlewick.
Illustrated By: Leslie Patricelli
Summary: This book is great for toddlers. The book will help children distinguish between what is good to eat and what is not good to eat. I think this is a good book because toddlers love to put everything in their mouths. Pictures are fun and I think toddlers will think the book is funny.

Sarah Jensen
This book is worth buying. My son loves all of these books and so do I. It hangs mainly on the artwork because there is basically no story and just "[something gross] is yummy" and "[something good] is yummy" on each page. With such few words, the book basically encourages parents to interact with their children while looking at the picture (e.g., Ew mud pies are yucky! Do you see the worm?).

Liza Gilbert
A satisfying and colorful exploration of what is yummy and what is yucky. The unnamed baby is cute with rosy cheeks and two pink nipples, sitting in his diaper and exploring food. The last in the series of yummy/yucky pictures has the baby with his face green and sideways on the table (too much ice cream). This seems a little alarming and a bit severe (and too close to Mr. Yuck).
Crystal Yawn
This wonderful book i received when my now 3 yo was born. It has helped my now 4 yo learn to talk helping to tell the story and name the items ) and both 3 yo and 1 yo love it. It is so liked in my house after taping together a million times it is fully destroyed. The story is cute and simple, the pictures are good and it allows child participation. Good choice for young toddlers.
Denise Duffy
I loved this book! I can't wait to have all of them to read to my daughter! Our next adventure is "Huggy Kissey"!
Rena
I rated this book with 5stars cause *I* don't have to read it to my baby over and over and over and over and over... It's perfect for teaching little ones to read, and they learn opposites at the same time. This board book is part of a series, and my daughter has been "reading" it since she could talk. Very easy for little ones.
Heather
24 months - all of Leslie Patricelli's books are a hit with O. And this one is as well... She always thinks it's funny to see the bad things this little baby does. With this one I'd say what he's eating and she'd tell me if it's yummy or yucky. Great for engaging your child in the book.
Teresa Gashler
After letting my one year old go through a huge pile of board books at the library, this is the only one that kept her attention. Not only that, but she asked me to read it to her over and over again. I can't tell if it's instructive to her or not, but at least it's quite entertaining.
Peanut
MOMMY: This book is adorable and funny! Simple words, simple illustrations and lots of fun.

PEANUT: We picked this up when he was about 2 and he seemed to like it. We read it on and off for a few months. Revisiting it at 3 years old and he really appreciates the humor in it.
Candacehaws
Ethan and I both laugh out loud every time we read this book (Hudson likes to pretend he is reading it and gets the funny parts too). Great early reading book- Ethan and Hudson both love it. Simple enough that Ethan thinks that he is really reading it.
Rebecca Salick
I could wax poetic about the descriptive virtues of this fine piece of children's literature, but I prefer to borrow from Patricelli's tone and simply say that to read this book is yummy. And to not read this book as many times as you can is yucky.
Kelsey
This is a board book for toddlers explaining that some things are yummy, but others are yucky. Like some things such as spaghetti are yummy, but sand, crayons and worms are yucky. This book is also good for the children to learn opposites.
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book
  • Baby Beluga
  • That's Not My Dinosaur
  • Doggies (Boynton Board Books)
  • Tails
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes
  • Jingle-Jingle
  • Global Babies
  • I Kissed the Baby!
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • The Baby Goes Beep
  • First 100 Words
Leslie Patricelli is the American writer of the books Blankie and Big Little. Leslie Patricelli grew up in Seattle, Washington close to Pine Lake. At college, Leslie Patricelli majored in Communications at the University of Washington. She became an advertising copywriter after college then became a ski instructor in Italy. Leslie Patricelli is also an illustrator for children. She created and ani...more
More about Leslie Patricelli...
Quiet Loud Higher! Higher! Potty No No Yes Yes Big Little