Start by marking “Skinny Brown Dog” as Want to Read:
Skinny Brown Dog

Skinny Brown Dog

A charming story about an unlikely friendship by National Book Award–winning author Kimberly Willis Holt

Benny the baker leads a simple life. He makes delicious cakes, cookies and muffins, and keeps his customers well fed and happy. When a skinny brown dog shows up on Benny's doorstep, nothing Benny says can convince him to go away. While Benny insists that the dog isn't hi
Published June 12th 2007 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Skinny Brown Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skinny Brown Dog

Lupine
Oct 12, 2010 Lupine rated it it was ok
I liked the story itself but I couldn't get past the illustrations. All of the other characters are ANIMALS but the dog is still a pet who can't talk but then he starts to wear clothes? And why will a hospital allow a bear, an elephant and a squirrel but not a dog??? The illustrations totally distracted me. I would have really liked it if the characters were people and took in a dog. Maybe a kid won't care but it totally messed with my head.
Rebecca
Jan 21, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
cute story about homelessness
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from PanMacmillan Australia for review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
When a skinny brown dog turns up outside Benny's bakery, the community take it under their wing. Benny, however, remains adamant that a bakery is no place for a dog...until an accident changes his mind.

On first reading this story, I was immediately reminded of John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat, because there seems to be a similar underlying metaphorical suggestion going on here..but I'm not 100% sure w
Mary
Feb 13, 2017 Mary rated it liked it
The story of a dog persisting and working his way into the baker's heart is sweet. It has possibile tie-ins with homelessness, prejudice, and character education. The illustrations are not appealing. As mentioned by others, there is inconsistency in the treatment of animals--with most treated on par with the human baker, but the dog treated as merely a clever pet. Borrow from public library but do not purchase for school collection.
Tamsyn
Jan 04, 2008 Tamsyn rated it it was ok
I liked this story, but I have a problem with the illustrations: the story is about a baker who won't allow a stray dog into his bakery. As time goes on, he feeds him more and more and thinks about him more and more, and when a crisis happens, the dog saves the day and the baker takes him into his home. Lovely little story, but what I don't understand is this -- the people in the story are represented as animals in clothing: the baker is a bear, Mrs. Patterson is an elephant, the children are as ...more
The Library Lady
Sep 18, 2007 The Library Lady rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I hate to diss a book by Kimberly Willis Holt, who has written some amazing books. But sadly, this isn't one of them.
The internal logic of this book doesn't match the artwork.Benny the Baker says "dogs aren't allowed". Later the nurse says the hospital is "no place for dogs" Why? It sounds like some sort of racial prejeudice. If elephants and penguins and porcupines are fine, why not dogs? It's not even as if "Brownie" is clearly a pet dog, as is "Pal"in the "Arthur" books--he stands on his hind
Bethany
Jul 05, 2007 Bethany rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrenslit
A sweet story of a lonely baker and a stray dog, Skinny Brown Dog allows the characters to interact in ways that are believable and touching. Younger readers might be confused about dogs not being allowed inside even though the entire town is populated with anthropomorphic animals--polar bears, squirrels, elephants, skunks, birds, etc. I don't quite understand the rationale for using animals, either, for that reason. The text demands only that the dog be a dog; no other characters are defined.
Erin
Nov 25, 2015 Erin rated it did not like it
I do not like this book. You know the problem of Goofy and Pluto? How they're both dogs yet one of them is a pet and the other is a regular guy with a house and a car and such? This book has that same problem except Brownie (the dog who's like Pluto) wear a suit and walks around on his hind legs! He looks no different from any of the other animal characters in this book! It's very confusing and I do not like it. Not one bit.
Scott Hayden
Apr 17, 2016 Scott Hayden rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, read-aloud
Benny runs a bakery where, of course, it wouldn't be right to let a dog in. So when the skinny brown dog takes up residence just outside the bakery, Benny shows kindness but holds the line. Visitors grow to love "Brownie" as he comes to be known.
Pauline
Oct 17, 2008 Pauline rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Hmmm...I think someone else already wrote this in their review...it's kind of weird that the dog is the only animal portrayed AS an animal...I didn't get it and Robby wasn't crazy about it either. Pass.
Miss Sarah
I'm not a dog lover but this book was so cute. A baker won't let a stray dog into his bakery but starts to feed him anyway. Can the dog worm his way into the baker's heart? Length makes it preschool
Katherine
May 26, 2008 Katherine rated it it was amazing
This story is delightful! Both the boys love it. And I think the art is fantastic. The skinny brown dogs's personality shines through more than any other character.
Beth
Aug 15, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alex-maeve-faves
I have decided to try to keep a list of childrens' book that I have loved over the years. The message that this book send makes me hopeful and teary-eyed as many animal books do.
Carol Krueger
Aug 11, 2016 Carol Krueger rated it liked it
love and friendship find a way
Jasmine
Jan 21, 2016 Jasmine rated it really liked it
Out of all the books I picked at the library, I thought this one was the best. I really enjoyed the illustrations and story-line. Overall I though the book was fantastic.
Jen H.
Aug 06, 2008 Jen H. rated it it was amazing
I love any story where a dog finds a good home and a new friend. This also reminded me of Library Lion. Great story, cute illustrations!!!
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2013
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2007
Hannah
Hannah rated it did not like it
Nov 06, 2010
Phuong Pham
Phuong Pham rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Kristi Bell
Kristi Bell rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2011
Courtney
Courtney rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2013
Linh Ha
Linh Ha rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
George
George rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Gmn
Gmn rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2013
Beth Carroll
Beth Carroll rated it it was ok
Apr 30, 2017
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
May 07, 2008
Alexander
Alexander rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Deeanna
Deeanna rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2010
Courtney
Courtney rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Kimberly Willis Holt is the author of the Piper Reed series, including Piper Reed, Navy Brat, Piper Reed, Clubhouse Queen, and Piper Reed, Rodeo Star. She has written many award-winning novels, including The Water Seeker and My Louisiana Sky, as well as the picture books Waiting for Gregory and Skinny Brown Dog. A former Navy brat herself, Holt was born in Pensacola, Florida, and lived all over th ...more
More about Kimberly Willis Holt...