Start by marking “The Maquisarde” as Want to Read:
The Maquisarde

The Maquisarde

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Near the end of the 21st century, the murder of her husband and daughter by terrorists drives Ebriel Serique to venture beyond her charmed life to confront the truth about the world. And while she never would have suspected it, Ebriel discovers that she has the courage for anything--even violence.
Published April 27th 2004 by Ace (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Maquisarde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maquisarde

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.Tagged by Joseph M. ChironThe Sparrow by Mary Doria RussellThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisHis Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
SF & Theology
168th out of 198 books — 264 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodUglies by Scott Westerfeld
Best Science Fiction With a Female Protagonist
357th out of 676 books — 1,817 voters

More lists with this book...

Kris
May 04, 2010 Kris rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: science fiction fans
Shelves: own-it
This book was a nice surprise. I was just scanning the sci-fi shelves at may favorite local bookstore, auntie's, when I saw this one, with a sticker denoting it was an autographed copy. When I looked closer, I could see that there was a woman on the cover (and not the stereotypical fantasy heroine, straight out of Wagner). Then I read the synopsis and had to pick it up!

The book is set in the not-too-distant future, where the world has basically been divided into the haves and the have-nots, due
Paul
Ebriel Serique is living a life of luxury in late 21st century Paris. That is, until her husband and young daughter are murdered on the family yacht, supposedly by terrorists. It was in the Mediterranean, allegedly on the wrong side of the Line of Partition. Parts of the world have been ravaged by various biological plagues, so no chance are taken. The yacht is destroyed, and the bodies are cremated.

After another worldwide economic collapse, the International Cooperative Alliance (InCo) rules wh
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Ann Wilkes
Wow! Marley takes her characters through hell and back and transform them beautifully. Best book I've read for a while.
Benjamin
Bought for $1 at Dollar General. Pleasant surprise. Very fine work. Reminded me of Ursala LeGuin.
Janine
This was a fun read. The Maquisarde is a noble renegade.
Mckinley
Grew on my as I read it. Slow to start I think.
Jeannen
I had not been exceptionally impressed with the Singers of Nevya series by Marley, which is one reason I didn’t read others of hers as I saw them coming on the market. After The Child Goddess, though, I checked to see what else she had published, and found one of those titles, The Maquisarde at the library. Speed read through it in one evening. It was enjoyable, but ultimately, not well-resolved, I thought – in fact, it felt as though it was the first book in a series, although I see no evidence ...more
Ian
This book was a pleasant surprise. I picked it up used for only a few dollars to satisfy a craving I'd been having lately for science fiction. The description on the back was nothing special, nor was the first chapter or so, but yet, I had a -feeling-, so I grabbed it anyway. To be honest, I expected it to be nothing more than a forgettable, 3-star story at the most--yeah, oops!

Most of the characters (but not all--I'm looking at you, Ty!) are well-developed, diverse, interesting, and overall lik
Miss Ginny Tea
This is the 3rd Marley I've read in a short span of time. Enjoyment has decreased with each book.

This one sets up an interesting future of Earth, filled with chaos and politics (complete with the blind privileged and the lying bastard leader). Lies come too close, privilege doesn't protect, and everything comes crashing down. So far so good.

The ending doesn't fit this world. It's sugar coated saccharine with a grafted-on love story that just doesn't work. The 2 aren't compatible; they're "love"
Karl Schaeffer
Picked this one up at a used book sale. Easy read. Interesting world created by Marley. Straight forward plot. I figured out early on that Ebriel and James hooked up. Oops! Is that a spoiler? Not sure about the world spanning solar powered helicopters. Seems like a uncomfortable way to travel.
Carrie
This was excellent, but the ending was a little bit of a letdown.
Lynn H
Lynn H added it
May 07, 2015
Keith
Keith added it
Apr 25, 2015
Kerri
Kerri marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Bronwyn
Bronwyn marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Cathy S
Cathy S marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
K
K added it
Jan 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Louise Marley, a former concert and opera singer, has published sixteen novels. Writing as Cate Campbell, her recent books are historical fiction. As Louise Marley, she writes fantasy and science fiction and occasionally young adult fiction.
More about Louise Marley...
Mozart's Blood The Terrorists of Irustan The Glass Harmonica Singer in the Snow The Glass Butterfly