Start by marking “The Maquisarde” as Want to Read:
The Maquisarde

The Maquisarde

Near the end of the 21st century, the murder of her husband and daughter by terrorists drives Ebriel Serique to venture beyond her charmed life to confront the truth about the world. And while she never would have suspected it, Ebriel discovers that she has the courage for anything--even violence.
Published April 27th 2004 by Ace (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Maquisarde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maquisarde

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.The Sparrow by Mary Doria RussellTagged by Joseph M. ChironHis Dark Materials by Philip PullmanThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
SF & Theology
183rd out of 212 books — 301 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodCinder by Marissa Meyer
Best Science Fiction With a Female Protagonist
431st out of 905 books — 2,238 voters

More lists with this book...

Kris
May 04, 2010 Kris rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: science fiction fans
Shelves: own-it
This book was a nice surprise. I was just scanning the sci-fi shelves at may favorite local bookstore, auntie's, when I saw this one, with a sticker denoting it was an autographed copy. When I looked closer, I could see that there was a woman on the cover (and not the stereotypical fantasy heroine, straight out of Wagner). Then I read the synopsis and had to pick it up!

The book is set in the not-too-distant future, where the world has basically been divided into the haves and the have-nots, due
Paul
Sep 13, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ebriel Serique is living a life of luxury in late 21st century Paris. That is, until her husband and young daughter are murdered on the family yacht, supposedly by terrorists. It was in the Mediterranean, allegedly on the wrong side of the Line of Partition. Parts of the world have been ravaged by various biological plagues, so no chance are taken. The yacht is destroyed, and the bodies are cremated.

After another worldwide economic collapse, the International Cooperative Alliance (InCo) rules wh
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Ann Wilkes
Jul 30, 2008 Ann Wilkes rated it it was amazing
Wow! Marley takes her characters through hell and back and transform them beautifully. Best book I've read for a while.
Benjamin
Jun 10, 2011 Benjamin rated it really liked it
Bought for $1 at Dollar General. Pleasant surprise. Very fine work. Reminded me of Ursala LeGuin.
Janine
Feb 11, 2009 Janine rated it liked it
This was a fun read. The Maquisarde is a noble renegade.
Mckinley
Oct 08, 2010 Mckinley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, scifi, heroine, novel
Grew on my as I read it. Slow to start I think.
Jeannen
Feb 25, 2008 Jeannen rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I had not been exceptionally impressed with the Singers of Nevya series by Marley, which is one reason I didn’t read others of hers as I saw them coming on the market. After The Child Goddess, though, I checked to see what else she had published, and found one of those titles, The Maquisarde at the library. Speed read through it in one evening. It was enjoyable, but ultimately, not well-resolved, I thought – in fact, it felt as though it was the first book in a series, although I see no evidence ...more
Ian
Apr 05, 2013 Ian rated it really liked it
Shelves: decent-stuff
This book was a pleasant surprise. I picked it up used for only a few dollars to satisfy a craving I'd been having lately for science fiction. The description on the back was nothing special, nor was the first chapter or so, but yet, I had a -feeling-, so I grabbed it anyway. To be honest, I expected it to be nothing more than a forgettable, 3-star story at the most--yeah, oops!

Most of the characters (but not all--I'm looking at you, Ty!) are well-developed, diverse, interesting, and overall lik
Ann Tonks
Although ultimately a romance, I enjoyed this science fiction story. It's focus is on a grieving artist and lost children who claim their place in the world and that gives it humanity and strength.
Miss Ginny Tea
This is the 3rd Marley I've read in a short span of time. Enjoyment has decreased with each book.

This one sets up an interesting future of Earth, filled with chaos and politics (complete with the blind privileged and the lying bastard leader). Lies come too close, privilege doesn't protect, and everything comes crashing down. So far so good.

The ending doesn't fit this world. It's sugar coated saccharine with a grafted-on love story that just doesn't work. The 2 aren't compatible; they're "love"
Karl Schaeffer
Sep 26, 2012 Karl Schaeffer rated it liked it
Picked this one up at a used book sale. Easy read. Interesting world created by Marley. Straight forward plot. I figured out early on that Ebriel and James hooked up. Oops! Is that a spoiler? Not sure about the world spanning solar powered helicopters. Seems like a uncomfortable way to travel.
Ian
Jul 03, 2012 Ian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed on Daughters of Prometheus: http://daughtersofprometheus.wordpres...
Carrie
Sep 01, 2010 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was excellent, but the ending was a little bit of a letdown.
Kethry
Kethry marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Jennifer Brewer
Jennifer Brewer rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Daniella
Daniella rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Susan Frager
Susan Frager rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Dylan
Dylan added it
Jan 17, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Fightium
Fightium rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2015
Amanda Beck
Amanda Beck marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Hattie
Hattie rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Louise Marley, a former concert and opera singer, has published sixteen novels. Writing as Cate Campbell, her recent books are historical fiction. As Louise Marley, she writes fantasy and science fiction and occasionally young adult fiction.
More about Louise Marley...