Start by marking “The Terrorists of Irustan” as Want to Read:
The Terrorists of Irustan

The Terrorists of Irustan

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  223 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
In this brilliant novel from the author of Sing the Light, a talented medicant defies the rule of men -- and changes the lives of every woman on the planet.
Published July 1st 2000 by Ace (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Terrorists of Irustan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Terrorists of Irustan

Ryandake
Dec 19, 2012 Ryandake rated it it was amazing
this is my third or so read of this book, so, not a first impression...

this is a maybe uncategorizable novel--it has SF elements, certainly (civilization on a distant planet), dystopian ones (a society in which women are veiled, largely uneducated, pretty much property although not called slaves), feminist ones in droves, and social commentary up the wazoo. so what is it?

i don't know, but it's unique, and it's heartbreaking, and it will remain on my shelves forever.

as i read through this time, i
Phil
Oct 02, 2012 Phil rated it it was amazing
How many times in your life do you get to read an unforgettable book that makes an impression on you? As a lifelong reader, I've read and forgotten more books than I could count. Only a precious few end up on my "recommend to the book club ladies" list. I made them read this one and they agreed it was a marvelous choice for discussion.

In a setting that favors Earth's Middle East both in lands and customs, the struggle for women not to just survive but thrive somehow in a male dominated society
Sineala
I didn't think they wrote feminist SF like this anymore. Okay, I know this book is not particularly recent, but it feels like it should be from the 80s. Not that I am complaining. It's a Handmaid's Tale sort of dystopia, one that in this case is a fictional future far-right take on Islam. With, yes, veiled women. Our heroine, Zahra, is a "medicant" (please note, in case you have done the same thing, that I read this as "mendicant" about five times; no, that would be a different sort of book) who ...more
Methodtomadness
Aug 19, 2012 Methodtomadness rated it really liked it
Take a far-right, imagined extremist version of Islam, dump it on a futuristic mining planet, add a hefty helping of additional gendered slavery, and season with fed-up female resistance, and you have the strange brew that is The Terrorists of Irustan. In Margret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, there's a line somewhere about how extremist Eastern religions are not that far from extremist Western religions, and The Terrorists of Irustan is a little bit what I imagine a faux-Middle Eastern counterpa ...more
I quite enjoyed this book. It was a pleasant little feminist queer surprise in a genre heavily populated by straight white men. Especially considering that I just picked it up rather randomly as the library was closing.

That said, I'm troubled with the use of the veil as a symbol of women's subjugation. It's not the main subject of the book, but it is used as dramatic effect to symbolize and reinforce the fact that the women are powerless and confined. I suppose that is the historical meaning of
Catskill Julie
Jul 29, 2014 Catskill Julie rated it it was amazing
Powerful, thought provoking and disturbing. I read this when it came out and gave it to my nieces. The characters and the story are very affecting and have stayed with me all this time.

To another reviewer below, the veil exists to repress and control women and, most egregiously, (try to) make women responsible for the misbehavior of men--ie, women are responsible for "enticing" men to lust for them, "dishonor" them, rape, gang rape, stone, kill them. They see women as unholy, lesser creatures i
Jacob
Jan 05, 2016 Jacob rated it liked it
I enjoy fantasy and science fiction stories which pull setting material from cultures other than western Europe and the U.S., since I feel like I learn a bit about those cultures and the unfamiliar feel of the setting makes the story feel fresher (books that come to mind in this category include Enchantment, later entries in the Ranger's Apprentice series which start with The Ruins of Gorlan, The Blue Sword, and The Thief). If you couldn't tell from the cover, this is another of that sort, altho ...more
Jennifer Marie
 Jessica
May 08, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Elizabeth Richardson
Aug 10, 2015 Elizabeth Richardson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
The Terrorists of Irustan is a beautifully written book exploring patriarchy on a distant colonized planet. While there is an underlying comparison to be drawn between extreme Islamic groups and Marley's novel, she deftly displaces the setting enough to allow the focus to be the characters’ struggles in a more universal sense.

The story is strongly character driven, highlighting the careful and dangerous social negotiations between friends and family. But undercutting this is a richly described s
heidi
May 10, 2012 heidi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi, wiscon
Using the servant's tools to dismantle the master's house.

Irustan is a world where all the women are veiled and all the men are conscripted into service in the mines that make the planet profitable. The gender lines are extremely sharp. Men are the public, working face, and women are hidden, behind the scenes. Men also have nothing to do with the needs of the body. Women are responsible for cooking, cleaning, washing, and crucially, healthcare.

I have seen several commentators talk about the reli
Miss Ginny Tea
Oct 08, 2007 Miss Ginny Tea rated it liked it
Marley does an excellent job of setting up a horribly claustrophobic society in which women are veiled, sheltered, set aside, property. Through an interesting quirk, the women are also the healers, and the men want nothing to do with dealings of the body. It's this prejudice of the men that Zahra is able to exploit to make her statement and do what she can for the women around her.

That said, it's a flawed book. The two women of Zahra's circle in the worst domestic situation are the two married t
Ayla
Aug 18, 2011 Ayla rated it really liked it
The first time I read this book I don't think I really understood its significance. It's easy to identify with the characters and the reader suffers through their hardships and celebrates their triumphs. The women of Irustan are the same women who suffer injustice and lack freedom in our world today. Zahra, the main character, gives these women a voice and shows how women can take hold and change their fate with education, determination, and love. Terrorists of Irustan is a testament to the stre ...more
Cassie
Jul 05, 2011 Cassie rated it really liked it
An interesting but sad book. It was a bit hard to read sometimes, since the female characters are so helpless to protect themselves in so many ways. Still, it's an interesting commentary on womens' lives in the Middle East (though of course it was a fictional, future sci-fi colony modeled on the current Middle East) and the way religion and tradition shape society.
Cameron
Dec 14, 2007 Cameron rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I learned a lot about Prion diseases reading this book, I actually ended up reading about Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease because of it, but the characters and story are rather shallow and predictable and there's a certain heavy handed morality to the whole thing that is just a little off-putting.
Melinda Tate
Nov 11, 2010 Melinda Tate rated it it was amazing
A fantastic portrayal of suffragettes all over the world. This is about a veiled society that defines different as terrorist. It is not what we now know to be TERRORISTS but one can see how a culture has to change when the rules of old hold it in stasis. It will fail.
Sam
Jul 12, 2012 Sam rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible. It is powerful, with graphic, emotional detail. I haven't read this book in two or three years, since it's out of print, and I still am enthralled by it, and the story inside. Definitely worth the read.
Al
Jun 02, 2016 Al rated it it was ok
A heavy-handed attempt at politics via sci-fi characterized by abrupt, impossible character shifts. But an interesting-to-read criticism of Islamic extremism written well before 9/11 and all the hooey that followed.
Rachel Madsen
Mar 17, 2011 Rachel Madsen rated it really liked it
One of the few sci-fi books I own. A dramatic, lyrical read, with a feminist slant that is somewhat belabored. Still a good story with strong,likable characters.
Ann
Feb 05, 2008 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I read this a while ago, but it remains in my mind as one of those really great reads.

If you liked A Handmaid's Tale, you'll probably enjoy this.
Lynne
Mar 13, 2016 Lynne marked it as to-read-scifi
Shelves: books-by-women
I loved Marley's Singer series, and hooray feminist lit. OTOH, so many possible ways to slip into Islamophobia. Let's hope she hasn't.
Theresa
Dec 17, 2009 Theresa rated it really liked it
Fascinating, brilliant, and realistic work of political fiction. This is a good sci-fi novel for people who don't like sci fi.
Jodi
Jan 02, 2013 Jodi rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Marley creates a very different world, and peoples it with wonderfully well-fleshed characters. I really enjoyed this one.
Amanda
Dec 16, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, feminist
Clearly a political book and meant to be a critique of modern Islamist states. Yet I still could not put it down.
Bob Alberti
Jul 14, 2008 Bob Alberti rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: SF fans with an interest in feminist issues
A captivating feminist tale set on a planet settled by Muslims.
Emily
Aug 29, 2010 Emily rated it liked it
Really somewhere between a 3 and a 3.5.
Bridget
Mar 06, 2010 Bridget rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Very thought provoking.
Pipkia
Pipkia marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Debbie
Debbie added it
Jun 21, 2016
Jennifer Brewer
Jennifer Brewer rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
  • Daughters of an Amber Noon
  • To Write Like a Woman: Essays in Feminism and Science Fiction
  • Forgetting the Alamo, Or, Blood Memory
  • Stagestruck: Theater, AIDS, and the Marketing of Gay America
  • Jokes and the Unconscious: A Graphic Novel
  • Gringa: A Contradictory Girlhood
  • Afrofuturism: The World of Black Sci-Fi and Fantasy Culture
  • Earthsong (Native Tongue, #3)
  • The Kindly Ones
  • Passions Between Women: British Lesbian Culture 1668-1801
  • Hey, Shorty!: A Guide to Combating Sexual Harassment and Violence in Schools and on the Streets
  • Solstice
  • Waiting in the Wings: Portrait of a Queer Motherhood
  • Diana Comet and Other Improbable Stories
  • Ammonite
  • Crows Over a Wheatfield
  • Godmother Night
  • Singer from the Sea
Louise Marley, a former concert and opera singer, has published sixteen novels. Writing as Cate Campbell, her recent books are historical fiction. As Louise Marley, she writes fantasy and science fiction and occasionally young adult fiction.
More about Louise Marley...