Start by marking “King Ottokar's Sceptre” as Want to Read:
King Ottokar's Sceptre

King Ottokar's Sceptre (Tintin #8)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  5,202 ratings  ·  93 reviews
In this adventure, everything begins with a briefcase left on a park bench in Brussels. The case belongs to Professor Alembick, a sillographer (a specialist in the study of stamps and wax seals). Doing his good deed for the day, Tintin returns the briefcase to the professor, and it is not long before he has been invited to travel to Syldavia as the professor’s assistant!

Up...more
Published November 1st 2002 by Egmont Childrens Books (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about King Ottokar's Sceptre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Ottokar's Sceptre

Harish Kumar Sarma Challapalli
Interesting book!! Very nicely narrated!! The book has some stuff which is not needed!! It gives some boredom feeling to the reader! The plot begins to unfold slowly but it can be guessed quite well by a regular reader!!

Certainly not the best of the franchise but a good read is definitely assured!!
Desiree Koh
Sep 06, 2008 Desiree Koh rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: funnies
When I was a little kid, I owned every Tintin comic book adventure and I read all of them, then re-read them all over again, laughing at the same jokes and used "Billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles" as my curse-phrase.

I am exploring the world of Tintin again after my Belgian jaunt, in the homeland of the artist Herge and where comics are highly regarded as literature. Beneath each vividly drawn and colored panel is a moral about the way the world lived in 1950.

In this chapter, Herge cr...more
Anuradha Alwis
If my memory is correct this is the first TinTin book I read. I still can remember being lost within the pages of this book as a small child (I think I couldn't even read then). I loved the part when TinTin's plane was shot down and snowy walking down the red carpet majestically with the sceptre held in its mouth.
Andy
Not anywhere near as good as The Black Island which preceded it but it's a serviceable romp where Tintin gets caught up in a plot to force a King to abdicate in a country small enough that you can bump into the King in the street and start talking to him. Pushing reality a bit too far. Or was that the falling out of the plane into a haystack? Still.

I thought the pencils and particularly the colour work was a little sub-par compared with the aforementioned Black Island too.

However, there are some...more
Andrea Ika
Reading the Tintin adventures when I was a kid changed my life. It was my first exposure to the graphic novel experience. back then you got them a chapter at a time, later in complete book form like this. They were adventure stories with exciting action, mysterious puzzles, hilarious characters, and real world concepts I could understand.

This book, made by Herge just before World War II, is a good addition to the Tintin collection.

King Ottokar's Sceptre deals with the possibility of war in the...more
Michael Gerald Dealino
In this book, Tintin is swept into an intriguing case in a mythical Balkan-like country. The adventure is also a satire on fascism, as Herge takes a swipe on Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union for their aggression and bellicose behavior in those days.
Daniel Flores
This book by Hergé is one of the most historical and cultural of all the collection in the adventures of Tintin. Even though we have a solitary Tintin trying to fight against the army of hole country, the two policeman of the collection appears trying to help Tintin to get back de Sceptre of the King of Ottokar which xas stolen trying to get him out of the government. The hole story happens in an immaginary country called Borduria, which was similar to the nazi's Germany at the second world war....more
Michael
A Ruritanian Romance in the style of The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope, this one sees Tintin and Snowy enmeshed in the political machinations of a small Balkan country which is riven by internal strife and coveted by a militaristic neighbouring country.

According to the Tintin website, Hergé partly based this story on the Nazi annexation of Austria, (view spoiler).

Hergé's well into his stride no...more
David Sarkies
There have been some who have suggested that this album is where Tintin is finally developed, though I as I suggested, I consider it to be the Cigar's of the Pharaoh. This album though develops a number of characters that are going in reappear in later albums, the most important being the country of Syldavia, as well as introducing the Milanese Nightingale, Bianca Castafiore.
Syldavia is a fictional country that Herge developed, and I suspect that it was so that he could move away from the crit...more
Sammy
My review, as posted in Tintin Books

I very much enjoyed rereading this album. Herge got the balance right here between real-world politics and the 'lighter' espionage and chase elements of the adventure. The chase sequences don't feel as gratuitous as they did in The Black Island, because they're tied in to the sceptre as the album's overarching plot device. And the realisation of Syldavia is marvelous: as a child, I'm sure I was mistaken into believing these were real countries. The crisply dra...more
Andrian Liu
Mainly, this book is about a journalist called Tintin who tries to save a kings sceptre from a organization that tries to steal it the stories start in a park where Tintin finds a briefcase and returned it to its owner. the owner is called professor Alembick, professor Alembick is a sigillographer a professor that studies about seals. But Tintin does not know there are people hering them. and the professor is going to syldavia to go and study some famous seals but first he must find a assistant...more
Sarah Sammis
King Ottokar's Sceptre by Georges Remi Hergé seems to have had a straight forward history and it shows in the consistency of the story. There's always a certain amount of mayhem in a Tintin adventure but sometimes the gags flow together better than others. The books where the jokes seem out of place are usually the ones that have been revised when translated.

In King Ottokar's Sceptre, Tintin meets a sigilographer who is interested in Syldavian seals. Shortly after Tintin learns that he and Profe...more
Josie
King Ottokar's Sceptre
By Herge
Published by Little Brown and Company
1974
Graphic Novel

A Tintin graphic novel is the perfect summer read. Choose King Ottokar's Sceptre or any one of Herge's graphic novels for a fun adventure with Tintin and Snowy. In this one, Tintin and Snowy meet a professor headed on a trip to Syldavia. Quickly, they become involved in something more sinister. A corrupt goverment plot to overthrow the King is attempted, but of course Tintin saves the day (with Snowy of course!)....more
Elliot
While the art in this was not as good as The Black Island, the story was just as good. Printing goes to an East European nation in which there is a plot from a faction within the nation seeking to have it annexed by a neighbouring state, in a situation similar to the anschluss of Austria to Germany. The leader of this group is even called mustler. I especially liked the three page pamphlet in the middle of the book describing the fictional history of Sldyvia.
Chelsea
Really, Milou alone should be more than enough reason to read this book. And if you're not already inclined to read it, I'm not going to convince you. I'm just going to talk about the few issues I have with it, and with Tintin in general.

The most noticeable issue with most of Hergé's earlier work is the extreme racism and close-mindedness, which is obviously strongly linked to the time during which his works was written. Taking historical context into account, the caricatures and stereotypes ar...more
Dan Wilson
Tintin's world keeps getting more interesting. Here we are introduced to political intrigues between the fictional European countries of Borduria and Syldavia. This came out in 1939, and the bad-guy Bordurians are apparently a stand-in for Nazi Germany. The Young Readers edition's supplement thankfully engages the main question I had from the story: "Where exactly is Syldavia?" Possible answers offered include Bosnia, Romania, Finland, and Belgium. As much of Europe was under threat of Nazi subt...more
Yves
J'avoue que j'ai beaucoup de plaisir à relire les Aventures de Tintin. Ça faisait presque 20 ans que je ne l'avait pas fait et je gardais une image un peu enfantine de Tintin. Cette image était surtout basée sur Tintin en Amérique et Tintin au Congo. En les lisant chronologiquement, je peux voir toute l'évolution du personnage et mieux apprécier les aventures.

Pour le sceptre d'Ottokar, lorsque j'étais jeune, il me manquait certaines connaissances historiques pour apprécier pleinement ce tome. Ma...more
Catherine Woodman
First published in French in 1939, and written at the time that Europe was under the thumb of totalitarianism: Hitler, Mussolini, and Stalin.
Tintin is taken through a sequence of strange vents to the mythical Kingdom of Syldavia, which we learn much about in this book. The drawings and information which bring this country to life : a combination between Zenda and Albania , are amazing .
A plot by Fascists based in neighboring Borduria is hatched to unseat King Muskar, involving the seizure of the...more
Saba
اولين كتاب از اين مجموعه كه خوندم اين شماره بود و براى همين نظرم در مورد كل مجموعه رو اينجا مى نويسم.
من با تن تن بزرگ شدم. خيلى خيلى عالى بود. خيلى دوست ش داشتم. اين كه دارم از گذشته استفاده مى كنم به خاطر اينه كه شايد اگه الآن تو اين سن بخونم "اون قدر" خوش م نياد. ولى براى اون موقع به ترين بود. ٨->
نمى دونم، اما احتمالا اگه الآن هم بپرسن بهترين مجموعه اى كه خوندى چى بوده، بگم تن تن. :} ٨->>>
شايد rating م تا مقدارى تعصبانه باشه.
ChattyNatty
I love Tintin books and I Particularly loved this one because it had a good bit of Drama and it was still a little bit funny!
My favourite character was Tintin.
I liked the part when these men were looking for Tintin and they hid when a car passed them an Tintin was in the car!!!!
Moa Bernhardsson
Tintin travels to eastern Europe to stop a gang from stealing King Ottokar's sceptre and overthrow the regime. Not as good as The Black Island, but it does have an intriguing plot. A big plus to Hergé for creating two fictional countries with their own history.

Nadia Fadhillah
lumayan.

aku baca bahasa prancis dan bahasa indonesianya sekaligus.
di edisi bahasa prancis ada satu halaman yang hilang sih.
Mike Jensen
Another enjoyable but ultimately disappointing adventure with Tintin. There are essentially three problems with this tale. The story is a cliché, the bumbling comic figures are not amusing and are a distraction since they barely figure in the plot, and an adventure this big needs more telling. More time was needed away from Tintin to show what was happening in other places with other characters for this tale to reach its potential. On the plus side are a likeable style and some really lovely art...more
Jack
Herge' is really hitting his stride by this point. Good writing, excellent art
Clicque
Engag� par le professeur Halambique, sigillographe de renom, comme secr�taire, Tintin l'accompagne en Syldavie. Eject� de l'avion en plein vol, miraculeusement sain et sauf, il prend connaissance d'un complot visant � d�tr�ner le Roi. Volant, comme � son habitude, au secours de la monarchie syldave, il d�jouera ce complot qui n'est pas sans allusion � l' 'Anschluss' et � la seconde guerre mondiale. C'est �galement dans cet �pisode que Tintin fera la connaissance de Bianca Castafiore.
Jan Kjellin
Jag tillhör den del av befolkningen som inte har någon närmare relation till Tintin och därtill inte tycker att böckerna är något särskilt att hänga i julgranen.

Jag läste den här med anledning av det aktuella Tintin-debatten och kan bara konstatera att just den här boken - som utspelar sig i ett fiktivt land någonstans på Balkan - känns både fördomsfri och icke-kontroversiell.

Så på sätt och vis är den kanske ett säkert kort?
Andrea
The World famous boy reporter and his loveable companion Snowy are racing against time to stop King Ottokar from being overthrown in the country of Syldavia. Those two bumbling detectives Thompson and Thomson are tripping along on the adventure. There is always some mix up and the villains cannot rid the world of Tintin who it seems will always be sure to throw a wrench into their plans! I always enjoy a good story.
Rosette Adel
I find this 8th installment of The Adventures of Tintin a very entertaining read. The chase element's still present and it's still action-packed but there's now a political involvement. Tintin was accused of meddling into the secrets of Syldavia when he's only trying to save the King's Sceptre which he achieved with the help of his dear friend Snowy. The ending's very humorous, entertaining indeed.
Anna
Super album.
Passionnant et intriguant voyage en Syldavie, ce pays dont Hergé a inventé l'histoire, les décors et les costumes pour nous le rendre plus réel. Le récit est épique, excitant, avec vols, complots, manipulations etc.
Le fond est moins plaisant et subtile que dans d'autres albums : il s'agit de défendre le bon roi contre les méchants anarchistes.
Tout de même, un album mémorable.
  • The Mansions of the Gods (Asterix, #17)
  • Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26)
Georges Prosper Remi (22 May 1907 – 3 March 1983), better known by the pen name Hergé, was a Belgian comics writer and artist.
His best known and most substantial work is The Adventures of Tintin comic book series, which he wrote and illustrated from 1929 until his death in 1983, leaving the twenty-fourth Tintin adventure Tintin and Alph-Art unfinished. His work remains a strong influence on comics...more
More about Hergé...
Tintin in Tibet (Tintin, #20) Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin, #1) Red Rackham's Treasure (Tintin, #12) The Secret of the Unicorn (Tintin, #11) Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin, #4)

“If! If! You can get 'round anything with 'if'.” 14 likes