Beyond Ava & Aiden: The Enlightened Guide to Naming Your Baby

Beyond Ava & Aiden: The Enlightened Guide to Naming Your Baby

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The all-new, better-than-ever edition of “the classic baby-name guide.” --The New York Times Magazine

Ever since they revolutionized the world of baby-naming with Beyond Jennifer & Jason--the first book to go beyond dictionary definitions to identify the image and style of particular names--Linda Rosenkrantz and Pamela Redmond Satran have brought their wit and insight t...more
Published June 23rd 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin

Brittany
I really liked this book! It was more then just a book filled page after page of names and their meanings. I liked how it makes it fun to read and how it compares names and compares names popular in different decades! Highly Recommend!
Jenne
No, not pregnant. I just think names are interesting.
Angel
Aug 31, 2010 Angel rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: pregnant mamas
Finally after reading a couple of baby name books, writting down my favorites, and crossing some out because I decided that I didn't like them because they were boring or my husband didn't like it. So, after 7 months(30 wks. to be exact)we agreed on a name. After we decided on a first name we picked out a middle name, which didn't take long. So, the verdict is in.

Here are the contents of the book. They are the creators of www.nameberry.com if you want to check it out online.

STYLE
What's Hot
A+ n...more
Carlie
I like the way Rosenkrantz thinks...this book but especially the predecessor have been great places to find a fresh naming voice and dig our way out of the dizzying alphabetical lists that line the pages and pages and pages of other baby name books. After a while those sorts of book start to all blur...all names sound the same...nothing sparkles, nothing sounds good and you can hardly tell the difference between Brandon and Braden. Ms. Rosenkrantz has taken us out of the format (yea, removed mea...more
Kristen Jaques
I love their website but these lists were incredibly repetitive, not to mention there were entire sentences repeated throughout the book. The same names kept popping up again and again, which highlights how hard it is to find an off-the-grid but usable name, I suppose.
Alisha
Studied the naming trends in the US since the first settlers. It specifically discussed naming trends since the millennium (2000), which has brought about much change in naming. It gave many great ideas on how to escape traditional names, but not go too overboard.
Lesli
I thought this book had some fasnicating information about baby name trends, history and cultural patterns of naming. The downfall to this book is the author does not include definitions.
She also has a website I've referred to, nameberry.com
Eelaynuh
Great book of names. Names are listed by theme (type of name) instead of just a straight alphabetical listing. Very helpful. Although the selection was a little limited and the same names showed up in a few different sections.
Caleigh Cohen
Great resource for writers! This isn't your oridinary a to z listing of names. Names are grouped by perception: class, trendiness, gender issues, etc. A little euro-centric, but helpful none the less.
Geneil
May 02, 2012 Geneil rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Not as informative as Beyond Jennifer and Jason, I think... it's a shorter book, so I guess I shouldn't expect it to be as thorough. And it was still fun information, fun to read. Fun to think about names. :-)
Erica Zamarripa Larkin
Lots of good ideas and lists. Sometimes I think they are a little off the mark on certain names, and some of the lists seem trivial. Wish there was more about name meanings and origins.
Jen
Naming our little girl is going to be a bigger chore than I originally thought . . . this book helped us narrow down the search.
Nicole
Hmmm. Not toooooo useful.
Erin
Erin is currently reading it
Apr 19, 2014
Jason
Jason added it
Feb 01, 2014
Rachel Cooper
Rachel Cooper marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Dec 27, 2013
Becca
Becca added it
Jun 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Beyond Jennifer & Jason, Madison & Montana: What to Name Your Baby Now Baby Names Now: From Classic to Cool--The Very Last Word on First Names The Last Word on First Names: The Definitive A-Z Guide to the Best and Worst in Baby Names by America's Leading Experts Telegram!  Modern History as Told Through More than 400 Witty, Poignant, and Revealing Telegrams Beyond Charles and Diana: An Anglophile's Guide to Baby Naming