Start by marking “Beyond Ava & Aiden: The Enlightened Guide to Naming Your Baby” as Want to Read:
Beyond Ava & Aiden: The Enlightened Guide to Naming Your Baby

Beyond Ava & Aiden: The Enlightened Guide to Naming Your Baby

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  84 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The all-new, better-than-ever edition of "the classic baby-name guide." --The New York Times Magazine

Ever since they revolutionized the world of baby-naming with Beyond Jennifer & Jason--the first book to go beyond dictionary definitions to identify the image and style of particular names--Linda Rosenkrantz and Pamela Redmond Satran have brought their wit and insight t
Published June 23rd 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin

Brittany
Aug 07, 2009 Brittany rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book! It was more then just a book filled page after page of names and their meanings. I liked how it makes it fun to read and how it compares names and compares names popular in different decades! Highly Recommend!
Jenne
Mar 20, 2010 Jenne rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
No, not pregnant. I just think names are interesting.
Angel
Jul 15, 2016 Angel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: pregnant mamas
Finally after reading a couple of baby name books, writting down my favorites, and crossing some out because I decided that I didn't like them because they were boring or my husband didn't like it. So, after 7 months(30 wks. to be exact)we agreed on a name. After we decided on a first name we picked out a middle name, which didn't take long. So, the verdict is in.

Here are the contents of the book. They are the creators of www.nameberry.com if you want to check it out online.

STYLE
What's Hot
A+ n
Carlie
Feb 06, 2010 Carlie rated it really liked it
I like the way Rosenkrantz thinks...this book but especially the predecessor have been great places to find a fresh naming voice and dig our way out of the dizzying alphabetical lists that line the pages and pages and pages of other baby name books. After a while those sorts of book start to all blur...all names sound the same...nothing sparkles, nothing sounds good and you can hardly tell the difference between Brandon and Braden. Ms. Rosenkrantz has taken us out of the format (yea, removed mea ...more
Kristen Jaques
Mar 17, 2014 Kristen Jaques rated it liked it
I love their website but these lists were incredibly repetitive, not to mention there were entire sentences repeated throughout the book. The same names kept popping up again and again, which highlights how hard it is to find an off-the-grid but usable name, I suppose.
Denise
Feb 26, 2015 Denise rated it it was ok
Parts were interesting, but over all it was merely subjective opinion. A few of the quotes were amusing.
Alisha
Aug 14, 2009 Alisha rated it really liked it
Studied the naming trends in the US since the first settlers. It specifically discussed naming trends since the millennium (2000), which has brought about much change in naming. It gave many great ideas on how to escape traditional names, but not go too overboard.
Lesli
May 08, 2012 Lesli rated it liked it
I thought this book had some fasnicating information about baby name trends, history and cultural patterns of naming. The downfall to this book is the author does not include definitions.
She also has a website I've referred to, nameberry.com
Eelaynuh
Apr 03, 2013 Eelaynuh rated it liked it
Great book of names. Names are listed by theme (type of name) instead of just a straight alphabetical listing. Very helpful. Although the selection was a little limited and the same names showed up in a few different sections.
Caleigh Cohen
Aug 16, 2012 Caleigh Cohen rated it it was amazing
Great resource for writers! This isn't your oridinary a to z listing of names. Names are grouped by perception: class, trendiness, gender issues, etc. A little euro-centric, but helpful none the less.
Geneil
May 02, 2012 Geneil rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Not as informative as Beyond Jennifer and Jason, I think... it's a shorter book, so I guess I shouldn't expect it to be as thorough. And it was still fun information, fun to read. Fun to think about names. :-)
Erica Zamarripa Larkin
Lots of good ideas and lists. Sometimes I think they are a little off the mark on certain names, and some of the lists seem trivial. Wish there was more about name meanings and origins.
Jen
Sep 20, 2010 Jen rated it liked it
Naming our little girl is going to be a bigger chore than I originally thought . . . this book helped us narrow down the search.
Nicole
Feb 14, 2012 Nicole rated it it was ok
Hmmm. Not toooooo useful.
E
E added it
Aug 05, 2016
Abigail
Abigail rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Pamela
Pamela is currently reading it
May 17, 2016
Veronica Fernandez
Veronica Fernandez marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Aimee Cannon
Aimee Cannon rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Kipp
Kipp rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Ella Gray
Ella Gray rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2016
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Laura added it
Mar 30, 2016
Shaynah
Shaynah rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
A.R.
A.R. marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015