Start by marking “Master of the Moors” as Want to Read:
Master of the Moors

Master of the Moors

Sixteen-year-old Kate Mansfield and her blind brother Neil live in a manor on the edge of the Brent Prior moors. It is a dreary place populated by the dispirited and the disillusioned, where the young nurture desperate dreams of escape. And Kate is no different. But her plans to run away to the city are crushed one very ordinary morning when the quiet in Brent Prior is sha ...more
Hardcover, Signed Limited to 450 copies, 297 pages
Published October 1st 2008 by Necessary Evil Press

To ask other readers questions about Master of the Moors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Master of the Moors

Kasia
Jul 20, 2013 Kasia rated it really liked it
I have to disclose that I absolutely love werewolf film and fiction, I rarely get to read or watch it and I can count on my hand how many times it has met my demands but that doesn't mean that I will stop trying, here's another one, this time on a light side for the newbies but also something new for old fans, so happy Sunday night, my beloved Sunday night Game of Thrones annihilation isn't here so this will have to do ...

Imagine a village surrounded by tall firs enshrouded in murky fog, it happ
Jon Recluse
Nov 23, 2011 Jon Recluse rated it it was amazing
Master of the Moors is a chilling blend of old school with a contemporary edge. Burke brings the moors to life; you can literally feel the tendrils of fog envelop you in this authentically atmospheric werewolf tale.
Bandit
Feb 06, 2015 Bandit rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I tend to be a completist by nature, if I like the author I'm interesting in reading his books. The other side of being a completist is finishing a book once started. And this is pretty much the only reason I finished this one. Burke is unquestionably a talented author, but this book just didn't work for me at all. Actually I should mention that I'm not a huge fan of classic horror, for the most part I find the writing to be torpid and soporific. This book is a pastiche to old school (way old, t ...more
Char
Feb 13, 2012 Char rated it really liked it
This is an old school, gothic type horror story, complete with terrified villagers running around with torches in the foggy, craggy terrain. It's fast paced, it's fun and the characters are believable. The enemy is hard to define and that's one of the best parts of the ride.
The ending snuck up on me; I wanted the story to continue and was a bit disappointed that it didn't.
All in all,though, it was a very good time.
Benjamin Uminsky
Apr 06, 2011 Benjamin Uminsky rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
When I purchased Mark Hansom's BEAST OF BRAHM, I thought I was going to be getting the story that I got in MASTER OF THE MOORS. Granted, I thoroughly enjoyed Hansom's story, but that was not the "beast" story I was looking for... MoM is most definitely that story.

One of my favorite stories and settings for any horror novel is one in which the beast stalks the foggy countryside, terrorizing the villagers as it wreaks its undying vengeance on the world.

Major kudos to Kealan Patrick Burke for being
Gavin Gates
Sep 24, 2011 Gavin Gates rated it it was amazing
There is really nothing new about the idea behind this one, rumors of a beast on the moors, terrified villagers with torches, stories people will not mention in public etc. Very atmospheric, great characters, great old fashioned classic Hammer Horror style English gothica at it’s best and above all else easily the best new horror novel I have had the pleasure of reading in ages. The only complaint I have is that the ending is on you out of nowhere (which is in keeping with the style of story tel ...more
Chris
Feb 19, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, 2012-reads
This book is definitely a departure from other books that I have read by Burke, which are modern in style as well as theme. This is an homage to the great Hammer Horror films (or Universal Films if you see it that way) that I watched as a kid where werewolves prowl the moors. Atmospheric. Gothic. Violent. Visual. It is easy to see it playing as a film in your mind as you read. Well plotted, with great characters, I really enjoyed it.
Heavensent1
May 29, 2011 Heavensent1 rated it liked it
Master of the Moors is a supernatural thriller.

There is something unnatural living in the Brent Prior Moors. Rumours and legends state that huge, hairy creatures live in the moors and will stalk unwitting victims until their death. Many of the townsfolk know a secret, a secret about the moors and many aren't willing to share their story.

A group of men, many years ago, went in search of the Huntmaster, Edgar Callow's wife, Slyvia. She went missing and this group of men were persuaded to enter the
Becky
Oct 29, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing
Master of the Moors is yet another masterpiece from Kealan Patrick Burke. I really enjoyed this book and liked the ending twist.
Carma Spence
Aug 16, 2011 Carma Spence rated it it was amazing
I haven't read the final version ... I read the version he posted to a Yahoo! group as he was writing it. It was a real page turner! I plan to read the final version someday ... it was that good.
Cheryl Landmark
Jul 23, 2013 Cheryl Landmark rated it really liked it
Review to come soon.
Mandy Andersonn
Jan 11, 2014 Mandy Andersonn rated it liked it
For me, this is a case where I felt the writing far surpassed actual creativity. A 2.5 for effort in what comes down to a very well written but utterly trite story line with characters whose actions are jaw-droppingly inane. It honestly feels like Mr. Burke just gave the hell up on this one, and did so immediately upon starting. I would be interested in reading a continuation - which possibility was definitely left open - if only to see if the author actually tries a little bit on the next go 'r ...more
Aurora
May 13, 2015 Aurora rated it liked it
I was hoping for a bit more from this story; more tension and suspense than drama and weirdness. Not a bad story but I'd recommend other stuff from KPB more than this one.
Karrie Bray
Karrie Bray rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2013
Donna Thompson
Donna Thompson rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2012
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Dylan
Dylan rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2012
Darren O.
Darren O. rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Kenci
Kenci rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2013
Christian2702
Christian2702 rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2013
Jacky
Jacky rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Akherousia
Akherousia rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2014
Procyon
Procyon rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2015
John Boden
John Boden rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2013
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2011
Tara Ives
Tara Ives rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2012
Carla
Carla rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2014
Katrin Hüttemann
Katrin Hüttemann rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2014
  • The Memory Tree
  • The Exorcist & Legion: Two Screenplays
  • The Shell Collector
  • Invisible Fences
Born and raised in a small harbor town in the south of Ireland, Kealan Patrick Burke knew from a very early age that he was going to be a horror writer. The combination of an ancient locale, a horror-loving mother, and a family full of storytellers, made it inevitable that he would end up telling stories for a living. Since those formative years, he has written five novels, over a hundred short st ...more
More about Kealan Patrick Burke...