Start by marking “Sorcerer” as Want to Read:
Sorcerer

Sorcerer

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The core book for Ron Edwards' groundbreaking Sorcerer rpg.
Published January 1st 2001 by Adept Press

To ask other readers questions about Sorcerer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sorcerer

Chris
Since college, I have become a theoretical role-player. My friend Matt has only played D&D and Champions, but he flies home twice a year to game with friends. I've read dozens and dozens of games, but haven't rolled a die in about eight years. Sorcerer is one of the best games I've come across as a RPG-ologist. Ron Edwards is the most prominent figure in the current indie-rpg world, and with this game he pretty much spear-headed the independent game as a viable product. His essays on TheForg ...more
JJ
Feb 24, 2011 JJ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: rpg, sorcerer, pdf
Sorcerer was not what I expected. It was one of those "must read" books for RPG game design. It was much more of a toolkit than what I thought it would be.

As a game (which I have only read and not played) it seems it would take a lot work to set up. Many of the attributes must first be defined in their scope. Demons must be defined, Humanity must be defined, reasons must be outlined for Humanity lost and gained. It very much leans toward a co-operative setting, now so commonplace in story games.
John
An interesting game. Not one that I'd normally have much interest in due to the theme, but one I felt that I should read since: A) it is often cited as inspiration for games that I have enjoyed. B) it plays an important role in the history of "indie-games." C) I received a free ding & dent copy as part of an order from IPR a couple of years ago.

I'm glad I did read it, because it looks like it could be a very interesting, if also very challenging, game to play. My group is scheduled to give i
John
A second edition without the drawbacks of making a second edition: namely that it doesn't in any way replace the first edition.

What it does is to allow the designer to convert 15 years of experience into clarifications, suggestions, and a few places where he would have changed things if he was actually doing a second edition.

I like the core rules, but am glad that I have this version as well.
BakuDreamer
< let me do the cover art next time >
Devon Apple
Devon Apple marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Amanda Marcus
Amanda Marcus marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Jim Sensenbrenner
Jim Sensenbrenner marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Liz Rogers
Liz Rogers marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Adrian
Adrian added it
May 14, 2014
Bez Bezson
Bez Bezson marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
Brian Curley
Brian Curley marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Curtis Hay
Curtis Hay marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2013
Man Solo
Man Solo marked it as to-read
May 22, 2013
Beth Perrin
Beth Perrin marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Sorcerer & Sword The Sorcerer's Soul: The Second Supplement for Sorcerer Sex and Sorcery: The Third Supplement for Sorcerer It Was a Mutual Decision