Start by marking “Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)

Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery #1)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  34 reviews
As a clinical psychologist and author of an online advice column, Dr. Rebecca Butterman is supposed to help people resolve their internal conflicts--not stir up her own. But when her next door neighbor allegedly commits suicide, Rebecca's investigative instincts make it hard to maintain appropriate boundaries.
Published March 6th 2007 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Advice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Advice

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo IshiguroThe Remains of the Day by Kazuo IshiguroThe Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey24 Hours by Greg IlesA Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen
Authors Starting With "I"
73rd out of 77 books — 8 voters
Ernie's War by Ernie PyleAlbert Nobbs by George MooreMagnificent Obsession by Helen RappaportThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeBleeding Hearts by Susan Wittig Albert
Bert and Ernie
56th out of 108 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Cindy Snyder
Deadly Advice is the first book in the advice column mystery series. The main character (and sleuth) is Dr. Rebecca Butterman, who also writes an advice column under the name Dr. Aster. Dr. Butterman is a practicing psychologist and is shocked to learn that a neighbor of hers has committed suicide. Like I'm sure most psychologists would, she questions herself and whether or not there were any signs that she overlooked. The victim's mother then asks her to look into the death because she does not ...more
Loraine
SUMMARY: Psychologist Dr. Rebecca Butterman specializes in offering snappy relationship advice to lovelorn readers of Bloom! magazine. She rarely stumbles when solving the troubles of Dazed in Dayton or Anxious in Anchorage. But when her own husband double-crosses her and her next-door neighbor dies under suspicious circumstances, Rebecca is left without answers. While writing a column on the modern singles scene, Rebecca finds herself tracing her neighbor's steps into a dark dating world she ne ...more
Julia Wilson
Very good. It was a quick read and the end was a real twist. I ordered all her books. I wonder why she hasn't written anything lately.
Fanficfan44
Deadly Advice is a cozy mystery series I have wanted to read for a while. I grew up with a fascination for Dear Abby and advice columns in general. I read Dear Abby with breakfast almost every morning and always turned to the advice columns in all my mom’s magazines…Can This Marriage be Saved…dun dun dunnnnn.

I really liked the main character here, Rebecca, a psychologist who also writes advice columns. Her neighbor commits suicide or so it seems and the victim’s mother begs Rebecca for help prov
Ariela
When psychologist Rebecca Butterman arrives home one evening she finds a squadron of police cars parked outside her condo. Her neighbor Madeline, it seems, has committed suicide. Yet Madeline’s mother isn’t convinced that her vibrant daughter was suicidal, and persuades Rebecca to use her knowledge of psychology to investigate. In this way the unassuming psychologist (who also happens to write an advice column) finds herself involved in a mystery that is increasingly perilous. Madeline’s online ...more
Christy
Dr. Rebecca Butterman is a practicing clinical psychologist who also writes a weekly advice column for an online magazine. Divorced and living in a condo in Guilford, Connecticut, Rebecca is distressed to learn her neighbor, Madeline Stanton, apparently committed suicide. Rebecca is unsettled that she had not made efforts to know her neighbor very well, and when Madeline's mother asks her to take care of Madeline's cat until she can find a home for it, Rebecca readily agrees. But when Mrs. Stant ...more
Elizabeth Dodd
I've read books by this author (under other names) and enjoyed them. This is my first foray into her clinical psychologist series.
This is a darker story than some of her others, but just as enjoyable.
It's a well crafted look into what people hide from themselves and others, consciously or not.
Who can you trust? Why is this person (seemingly) so unpleasant? What's with these desperate dating service people?
A good puzzle and an energetic resolution.
lynn
this is a light, easy mystery. I need to be frank right up front and admit i read robertas books because i know her. she is a memeber of our church. i also love the fact that all her stories are set here on the ct. coastline. this book the main character,Dr. Buttermen lives in Guilford. She is a psychologist and writes an advice column. Her next door neighbor is found dead. It appears to be a suicide...but..the deceased mom does not believe that to be true. she asks rebecca(Dr. Butterman), to pl ...more
LeAnne
This is an author I hadn't read before, but I will again. This book is the first of her Advice mystery series and it had my interest all the way. She has written three books in the series so far. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Cathy
A nice mystery. Rebecca is a counselor and writes an advice column. When her next door neighbor is murdered, the woman's mother asks Rebecca to investigate. Rebecca's editor also asks her to investigate the world of dating, including speed dating. There's some technology that might confuse some. Rebecca also cooks which is a bonus element. There are lots of intriguing friends, an ex-husband, and her clients that suggest that will be more to come in this series.

Roberta Islieb was one of the autho
Sheila
Two and a half stars. Just an okay read. Passed the time, but I don't think that I will read any other books in this series.
Judy
weak story; weak writing, but it took place in new haven, branford, guilford and madison. so i stuck with it.
Lain
This was an interesting twist on the amateur sleuth -- a psychologist who writes an advice column. While the writing was fine, and the mystery was well-paced, I thought the protagonist was more than a little annoying. Her advice was obvious and way too pat to make me feel she was a deep and insightful therapist. And I saw the "whodunnit" coming a mile away. All the same, I will seek out more by this author because I enjoyed the twists and turns.
Shonda
Clinical psychologist Dr. Rebecca Butterman's neighbor was found dead in her condo. Apparently from a suicide. Her mother doesn't believe her daughter would kill herself and insists Rebecca look into her daughter's death. As Rebecca retraces Madeline's last steps, she realizes her neighbor had a secret life. Can Rebecca find out what really happened the night Madeline died before the killer stops her?

Gail
Dr. Rebecca Butterman, a psychologist and therapist, is recovering from her divorce when her neighbor is found dead, an apparent suicide. As she struggles with her own issues, the mother of her neghbor draws Rebecca into discovering the reason for her daughter's death.
A little more meloncholy and conflicted than you usually get in these kinds of series mysteries. Really good characters struggling with life.
Mare
While I didn't really dislike this book, I didn't really like it either. I can't remember much of the story a week after reading it and I can only think that the reason lies in the clinical feeling of this book. I just didn't get a spark from a single character in the book. The only reason I remember the setting is because I live in CT. It was well written, it just didn't catch me.
Nora-adrienne
I decided to add Roberta Isleib to my reading list... Therefore I started with the first book in the series. I found it interesting for the most part, but but her character Dr. Butterman, a magazine columnist and practicing shrink just didn't do much for me. I got more out of the rest of her cronies who were much livelier personalities.
Nicole Galbraith
Rebecca Butterman is a therapist/advice columnist that finds herself in the middle of a murder mystery. I enjoy the psychological angle, but some people might find it overdone. I will definitely read the next book in the series and hope we get to see more of Detective Meigs.
Karol
An interesting mystery, although the steamier side of it was not my cup of tea. I did find the idea of a psychoanalyst and advice column writer becoming a sleuth of interest - she was drawn into it in the same was she was drawn into trying to figure out her patients.
Kristen
This is a nice new series by Roberta Isleib, with plenty of twists and turns and plenty of exciting drama. I do like this a tiny bit better than the Golf Lovers series, in which I'll read the final two books of the series, this fall. A quick easy read.
Sherry
She's a pretty good advice columnist but I'm not how good she is as a psychologist. But, the book was fast moving and kept me interested. Was her neighbor murdered or did she commit suicide? Read it and you'll find out.
Glenda Ricord
Feb 15, 2010 Glenda Ricord rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes light easy mysteries.
Recommended to Glenda by: Yahoo group
This was a good book for me. An easy read, but kept my interest. It introduces Rebecca, a Psychologist that gets involved in solving her neighbor's murder. A nice cozy little book.
Sherri
This was the first in a mystery series but I don't think I'll be reading anymore. Nothing too memorable to it and I was not a big fan of the therapist-detective-protagonist.
Barbra
Although this book was an easy read, I did not care for the plot so I am only giving this a 3. I my try the other series before I give up on this author.
Howard
Good first book of a new series. The author really built on the main character. She then took you on a wild ride to the finish!
Gillian
Slow and predictable. The protagonist didn't care about solving the mystery, so neither did I.
Catherine  Mustread
#1 Advice Column mystery -- good quick entertaining mystery, set in Connecticut.
Sherry
I liked this one, but I think I like her golf series better.
Phyllis
I'm sorry to say that I didn't like this book and did not finish it.
Betsy Panayides
Liked this series better than golf series.
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • Dead Air (A Talk Radio Mystery #1)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • Dolled Up For Murder (Gretchen Birch, #1)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery, #1)
  • Last Writes (Forensic Handwriting Mystery, #4)
  • Bride and Doom (Carnegie Kincaid, #6)
  • The Flaming Luau of Death (Madeline Bean, #7)
  • Bundle of Trouble (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #1)
  • Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
  • A Deadly Row (A Mystery By The Numbers, #1)
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
  • The Square Root of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #1)
  • Brush With Death (An Art Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Love is Murder (Daytime Mystery, #1)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
New Jersey born clinical psychologist Roberta Isleib took up writing mysteries to justify too much bad golf. Her Cassie Burdette series was nominated for an Agatha and two Anthony awards. Her new series debuted in March with DEADLY ADVICE, starring a psychologist/advice columnist. PREACHING TO THE CORPSE will follow in December. Roberta is the president of Sisters in Crime National.
More about Roberta Isleib...

Advice Column Mystery (3 books)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Asking For Murder (Advice Column Mystery, #3)
Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2) Asking For Murder (Advice Column Mystery, #3) Six Strokes Under A Buried Lie Putt to Death