Start by marking “'Salem's Lot: Illustrated Edition” as Want to Read:
'Salem's Lot: Illustrated Edition

'Salem's Lot: Illustrated Edition

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  66,784 Ratings  ·  381 Reviews
Upon its initial publication in 1975, 'Salem's Lot, with its "intended echoes of Dracula", was recognized as a landmark work. This edition contains two new stories relating to the novel. It features creepy photographs by acclaimed photographer Jerry Uelsmann, printed interior endpapers, and a fresh page design.
Hardcover, Illustrated Edition, 608 pages
Published 2006 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published October 17th 1975)

Raven
Jun 14, 2012 Raven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHERE IS THE 6 STARS BUTTON?!?!?!

If YOU have not read this book already... Where have you been?? Me? I've been under a rock wasting away hours with the likes of That twilight lady and Lauren Kate. WHY? Because I'm STUPID that's why.

Stephen King. I love you. Forever and Always.

Man, this guy is the best storyteller in America. His plot is perfect, though I was able to guess who would most def. become one of THEM But you know, I've read to much horror to not be able to guess at least one part o
Chris
It has been years since I originally read this book, but after all this time, it didn't disappoint. I live in the country where it gets very dark at night and the woods surrounding the house and area can be somewhat spooky. One friend said I was moving into a "Stephen King house" when I first moved in. Well, when reading Salem's Lot, let's just say I didn't want to go outside at night.

As far as this volume, it was a nice treat. The photographs were excellent and added to the dark theme of the bo
Aric Cushing
One of the best vampire books ever written. Bar none. End of story. Thank you very much. Seeing an author's take on the 'vampire' genre is always great, seeing King's take on it, brilliant. Since he's written a sequel to The Shining, maybe it's time for a sequel to Salem's Lot?
Amar
Feb 19, 2015 Amar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-in-2013
Roman sam pročitao prevenstveno radi padre Kalahana , jer sam želio saznati priču o njemu i htio znati kako je došlo do razvoja tog lika kojeg sam ja prvobitno upoznao u Mračnoj kuli.Ali , moram reći da mi se knjiga ipak mnogo dopala.

Bod sam oduzeo jer je užasno dugo trebalo da likovi skontaju šta se to događa , i prije nego što trepneš , sve knjiga se završila.Ovdje mi je smetalo jer se King zadržao na opisima kako ko gdje živi. Tražio sam krvi!!
Ima dosta zanimljivih scena , kao odlazak u Marst
Gearóid
May 26, 2014 Gearóid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just absolutely brilliant fun!!
Must be the greatest vampire story very!
Old school proper scary!!!!!
Campfire storytelling scary!!!
I though at one point I was finished the book.....but oh no....there was more!!!!
The epilogue.......eek!
This was even scarier!!!
Scared out of my wits but enjoyed every minute!
Lazar Janic
Jan 14, 2016 Lazar Janic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Klasik o vampirima. Prva Kingova knjiga zbog koje je dobio oreol horor pisca, iako se sam pravdao da je samo pokušao da odgovori izazovu da napiše nešto kao omaž Drakuli Brema Stokera.
U poplavi današnjih knjiga o vampirima (kojima je uveliko doprinela i holivudizacija Vlada Tepeša), oni koji se vrate da pročitaju ovu pravu vampirsku priču biće samo u dobitku.

Nebojša Petković
Не бих много да хвалим један од класика мајстора жанра, који сам тек сада прочитао, сем да је ово одлична вампирска сторија. Вампири су оно што би требало да буду, насупрот популарној тенденцији убацивања крвопија у тинејџ овир и њихово заслађивање, али и ону старију карактеризацију донжуановске неодољивости. Привлачна моћ вампира заснована је на злу које рађа пожуду у којој нема ничег лепог, већ је за све извориште мрак. Карактеристичан је и воњ, задах нераспаднутог, неумрлог који посебно прати ...more
Bill
The only other King I've read is The Stand which I enjoyed as a dystopian Science Fiction. I liked the plot, the characters, the prose. I was bored by 'Salem's Lot and almost gave it up several times. The short stories at the end of this edition were far more interesting.

So, why didn't I like it. To paraphrase Emperor Joseph II in Amadeus, "Too many words!" and a lot of them in the wrong place or completely unnecessary. I did not find the story very interesting. Though a vampire story, it had n
Stefan Yates
May 10, 2016 Stefan Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As is common in King's writing, this is another fine example of great character development and descriptive prose. The story itself is a fairly simple plot revolving around a small town being over-run by vampires.

What brings this out of the doldrums of it's simplistic storyline is King's flair for making even the humdrum interesting. His discriptions of the scene and his styling of each character's mannerisms draw you into the story. The suspense is also gradually built up and culminates in a ve
Dan
Feb 06, 2014 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s one of the greatest vampire novels ever written since Dracula first came into publication in 1897. It is Stephen King’s second novel, and is the book that he says “…typed [him] as a horror writer.”. So far, two movies have been based off of ’Salem’s Lot

Barlow1979 photo Barlow1979.jpg
Barlow2004 photo barlow2004.jpg

Many people dislike the 2004 version, but I enjoyed both adaptations equally. Most of you die-hard King and hardcore vampire fans know the story: Ben Mears moves back to the town of Jerusalem’s Lot (‘salem’s Lot as it is referred to by the
Sara Gould
Nov 06, 2015 Sara Gould rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"La atmósfera es vibrante, es hipnótica, las escenas son muy vívidas y en definitiva una se siente ahí mismo, oliendo el miedo de la gente, viendo a los personajes morir, abandonar y rendirse cuando se dan cuenta de que es imposible la lucha."

Mark
Feb 02, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-tales
Salem's Lot I first read when I was perhaps too young since it scared the living daylights out of me. It took me months before I could sleep without any lights on. It took me even longer before I dared to open any curtains when I heard something against my window (It is still in the back of my mind more than 32 years later).

It is a different take upon the vampire-lore, something that has been utterly destroyed by the coming of Lestat and its later ilk. It is a modern version of Dracula that bril
Adictos Libros
Sep 28, 2015 Adictos Libros rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
hace mucho tiempo que no leía una historia tan buena de Stephen King, un vampiro moderno digamos al menos para la época en la que escribió este libro. Un homenaje al Drácula que todos conocemos creado por Bram Stoker pero contado desde la perspectiva moderna.

altamente recomendable
Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym)
A friend returned our old beat-up paperback edition a couple weeks ago. I found myself picking it up and perusing it idly, since I'd had a great experience with it last time. Once I started, I just kept going. (Why not?)

This time around, I read for structure -- how he put the book together and what devices he used to stretch the story out and make it feel like a meal. I was more conscious of descriptions that read as funny where they should have been scary (e.g., descriptions of vampire teeth;
Elvi Thesame
Jun 03, 2015 Elvi Thesame rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book wasn't scary at all, but it's still one of the best that I've ever read !
Brittany
May 06, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: simply-adored, horror
It is King, what can I say. Superb storytelling at it's finest.
Jaksen
Mar 16, 2015 Jaksen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Can't believe I never reviewed this book...

I read this the year I got married and only because I'd never read a King book, though I knew the whole world was talking about him. (I even had students, ages 12-13 telling me: you gotta read this book!)

So I read it and a lot of things changed. For one, my once firmly-held belief that once you wrote a book about vampires, there wasn't much left to be said. (Anne Rice also disabused me of that belief.) I was enthralled by this story, the atmosphere, the
Chandni
Reading Stephen King’s writing is a delight. He’s a master with words and he creates these really vivid settings and characters. He writes these really creepy scenes that make you shudder and want to take a break from reading, but unfortunately, this book didn’t scare me. I didn’t realize this book was about vampires when I started reading it and since I’ve never found vampires very scary, I was unimpressed. However, the writing was great and the characters were all fully developed and very inte ...more
Daniel Olivos
Jan 26, 2015 Daniel Olivos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Si estuviera la opción de poder evaluar con más estrellas lo haría sin dudar.
Salem's Lot es uno de los pocos libros que si me han hecho estremecer mientras navego entre sus letras.
Un libro que, en más de una ocasión, ha logrado erizar mis cabellos y asustarme.
Aún no he leído Drácula de Stoker, y sin duda alguna, Stephen King a podido crear un novela del mismo nivel que Drácula.
Los personajes son queridos, odiados. El ambiente es el adecuado para hacerte sentir terror.
Es un libro, novela, histor
Peťulka Balážová
Děsivé...jak to ten King dělá, že nemůžeme přestat číst a v noci spát bez rozsvícené lampičky...no, co dodat, jestli máte dost odvahy, pusťte se do toho! :)
Lynn
Nov 08, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I took my paperback on the plane with me to Europe and lost it. So when I got to the UK, I bought a new copy. Expensive, but I wanted to compare it with the American text to see if there were any changes. If there were, they were so minute that I didn't notice them. I'll have to get the book out of the library to see.

It's a fun bounce of off DRACULA. The characters are engaging and well-drawn, and the plot believable if you accept that vampires are real. The writing is clunky at times, but it wa
Susan
Jun 08, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardback, 2005, 2012, 2000
re-read 2/25/2005
latest re-read 2/6/2012

I really appreciated the material that had been cut from the original book since I really love this book.

What I'd like to know is what idiot told them that 5 photos make an illustrated edition...

S

includes the 1975 novel and the two "related" short stories : "Jerusalem's Lot" (more of a Lovecraftian prequel) and "One for the Road" - a sequel

re-read "Jerusalem's Lot" 1/4/2015
"One for the Road" 1/20/2015
Amber
Dec 30, 2014 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarybooks
I read this book a few months ago and this is a pretty good read. This is one of stephen king's reads that you must definitely check out besides pet sematary and the stand. I've read a few of his other novels that I liked but salem's lot is a great vampire novel to read besides night wings by john peel, sunglasses after dark, the goodnight kiss trilogy by r.l. stine and let me in ( the let the right one in novelization).
Luke
Jul 22, 2008 Luke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is King's second novel and the one that eternally typecast him as a "horror" writer. This is a monster novel. If you don't like Dracula or Frankenstein then don't bother. Unlike many of King's books which aren't actually horror this one is in a very classic sense. If you know this going into it you should have a lot of fun reading it. There's also some neat tie ins to The Dark Tower.
Vanessa
Jul 06, 2016 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Leído para la categoría "A book about a thing that goes bump in the night"

La introducción de esta versión del libro te indica que una gran fuente de inspiración es la historia del Drácula escita por Bram Stoker (un clásico que debo reconocer que no he leído aún), pero tratando de hacerlo más oscuro.

Nos situamos en un pueblo, donde la incredulidad actual (o en la época cuando fue escrito) es un gran tema a la hora de efectuar acciones en contra de lo que está sucediendo, y aceptar algo que es imp
Mikaela
Apr 06, 2015 Mikaela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ma chronique complète sur mon blog :
Kim Spencer
OK. Not the best vampire book I've ever read, but at least they didn't sparkle ;)
Kita
Jan 13, 2015 Kita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always (I've read this book a lot) ... this book was great.
David Fontana
Salem's Lot was a surprisingly disappointing read for me. I had always heard people rave about it as one of Stephen King's best, and while it does have its moments, they are few and far between.

Stephen King is sometimes a hit or miss with me. At times, I will be glued to the pages, so engaged with what is happening that I can't stop reading. With Salem's Lot, though, it was sometimes days or even weeks before I was tempted to read another page. It's not that it wasn't well written, it's just th
Chester Dean
Hace algunos meses, me reté a leer al menos un libro de Stephen King al mes, ya que su trabajo es extenso y quiero leer cuanto pueda de él. Así que éste mes le tocó turno a ‘Salem’s Lot, lo único que sabía de éste libro es que trataba sobre Vampiros (amo a los Vampiros) y que se inspiró muchísimo en la obra literaria de Bram Stoker, ya que en su niñez le había impactado mucho.

En estos últimos años nos han presentado a vampiros que no se desintegran al ser tocados por la luz del sol, muchos son “
Goodreads Librari...: Different "Salem's Lot" works and editions 4 19 May 16, 2016 11:01PM
stephen king 1 4 Feb 26, 2015 02:20PM
  • They Thirst
  • The Amityville Horror
  • The Fog
  • Jaws
More about Stephen King...

“Before drifting away entirely, he found himself reflecting---not for the first time---on the peculiarity of adults. Thet took laxatives, liquor, or sleeping pills to drive away their terrors so that sleep would come, and their terrors were so tame and domestic: the job, the money, what the teacher will think if I can't get Jennie nicer clothes, does my wife still love me, who are my friends. They were pallid compared to the fears every child lies cheek and jowl with in his dark bed, with no one to confess to in hope of perfect understanding but another child. There is no group therapy or psychiatry or community social services for the child who must cope with the thing under the bed or in the cellar every night, the thing which leers and capers and threatens just beyond the point where vision will reach. The same lonely battle must be fought night after night and the only cure is the eventual ossification of the imaginary faculties, and this is called adulthood.” 30 likes
“I think it's relatively easy for people to accept something like telepathy or precognition or teleplasm because their willingness to believe doesn't cost them anything. It doesn't keep them awake nights. But the idea that the evil that men do lives after them is unsettling.” 23 likes