Start by marking “Jesus: A New Vision: Spirit, Culture, and the Life of Discipleship” as Want to Read:
Jesus: A New Vision: Spirit, Culture, and the Life of Discipleship

Jesus: A New Vision: Spirit, Culture, and the Life of Discipleship

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  141 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A thoughtful, well-researched historical portrait of Jesus as charismatic, healer, sage, and prophet--as spiritual, deeply political, and fully consistent with the gospel presentation.
Published May 10th 1991 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesus

janelle
Dec 05, 2007 janelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: religious studies geeks, Xns, nonXns
Shelves: religion
This book was amazing. When I read it, I had very little knowledge about Jesus...mostly pop-culture info. about the guy. Reading this book gave me such a wealth of information. It has really helped me move about in the world and in our culture with a lot more ease.
Carol
Apr 23, 2014 Carol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, biography
Easy to read and makes sense, especially for a Biblical scholar! What can we know about the historical Jesus, apart from the theology developed after his death... Two main points: He was intensely in touch with the spiritual (close relationship with God) and actively involved in his society, the Jewish community. "He was a remarkably free person. Free from fear and anxious preocupation, he was free to see clearly and to love. His freedom was gounded in Spirit, from which the other central qualit ...more
Amos Smith
Sep 22, 2015 Amos Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-books-other
This is not Borg's most famous book on Jesus, yet it is by far my favorite. For me this book gives the distilled essence of Borg's approach to Jesus before he starts spinning off in a number of other directions. I think this book embodies the best of what the search for the historical Jesus has to offer. It takes contemporary methods of scholarship and applies them to the life of Jesus, giving us a much fuller picture.
-Amos Smith (author of Healing The Divide: Recovering Christianity's Mystic Ro
Willa Grant
May 01, 2015 Willa Grant rated it it was amazing
I have wanted to read this book for some time now, I love reading about the historical Jesus & this had been on my list. We are all familiar with the risen Lord but for me the foundation of my faith is the Historical Yeshua of Nazareth. This book while not overly scholarly or heavy on research is very good at bringing together the historical Jesus & the risen Christ in a faithful but not inaccurate way. My affection for Marcus Borg is growing with every book of his that I read.
Sparker Pants
So far this book is really interesting; it explores what the historical Jesus was most likely really ACTUALLY doing and preaching and drinking (Jesus liked his wine) as opposed to what the early church decided he was doing and preaching, etc a few centuries after he already died. It delves beyond the popular image of Jesus that mainstream churches tend to teach.

We can only know as much about Jesus for certain as we can about any other ancient historical figure, but it's definitely worth examini
Markus
Aug 13, 2015 Markus rated it it was amazing
I had become very skeptical of the historical Jesus and his motives, but this helped me align my personal experience with the historical Jesus.
Chris
Jul 05, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
The author shares a view of Jesus that is sometimes enlightening and other times deflating. Borg seems to regard Jesus as more a man than a God, and yet his cultural insights were sometimes interesting.

Nonie
Feb 12, 2011 Nonie rated it really liked it
Very different for me to read an academic book about Jesus. Some new ideas for me to ponder. Learned to look at NT with more understanding of the times.
Lynne
Dec 10, 2007 Lynne rated it liked it
The respected Jesus scholar presents a thoughtful and thoroughly researched "new vision" of Christ and his ministry. Accessible and illuminating.
Margaret Cranfield
Margaret Cranfield rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Psanders
Psanders is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2016
Daniel Jensen
Daniel Jensen rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Nicholas Stewart
Nicholas Stewart marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Zscribbles
Zscribbles marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
skw
skw marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Stan
Stan added it
May 20, 2016
Zach Christensen
Zach Christensen rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Micah
Micah rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Jann Cather Weaver
Jann Cather Weaver is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Helen
Helen rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Geoff
Geoff rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Dave Suscheck
Dave Suscheck rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Jeffrey
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • God and Empire: Jesus Against Rome, Then and Now
  • The Historical Figure of Jesus
  • The Scandalous Gospel of Jesus: What's So Good about the Good News?
  • Coming to Our Senses: Body and Spirit in the Hidden History of the West
  • The Real Jesus: The Misguided Quest for the Historical Jesus & the Truth of the Traditional Gospels
  • Recovering the Scandal of the Cross: Atonement in New Testament and Contemporary Contexts
  • Life and Holiness
  • Blessed are the Peacemakers: Christ's Teachings of Love, Compassion, and Forgiveness
  • The Nonviolent Atonement
  • Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta
  • God's Fool: The Life of Francis of Assisi
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
  • Gaia and God: An Ecofeminist Theology of Earth Healing
Borg was born into a Lutheran family of Swedish and Norwegian descent, the youngest of four children. He grew up in the 1940s in North Dakota and attended Concordia College, Moorhead, a small liberal arts school in Moorhead, Minnesota. While at Moorhead he was a columnist for the school paper and held forth as a conservative. After a close reading of the Book of Amos and its overt message of socia ...more
More about Marcus J. Borg...

“As an epiphany of God, Jesus discloses that at the center of everything is a reality that is in love with us and wills our well-being, both as individuals and as individuals within society. As an image of God, Jesus challenges the most widespread image of reality in both the ancient and modern world, countering conventional wisdom’s understanding of God as one with demands that must be met by the anxious self in search of its own security. In its place is an image of God as the compassionate one who invites people into a relationship which is the source of transformation of human life in both its individual and social aspects.” 2 likes
“Images of Jesus give content to what loyalty to him means. The popular picture of Jesus as one whose purpose was to proclaim truths about himself most often construes loyalty to him as insistence on the truth of those claims. Loyalty becomes belief in the historical truthfulness of all the statements in the gospels. Discipleship is then easily confused with dogmatism or doctrinal orthodoxy.

The absence of an image - the most common fruit of biblical scholarship in this century - leaves us with no clear notion of what it means to take Jesus seriously, no notion of what loyalty might entail, no direction for the life of discipleship. But the vision of Jesus as a person of Spirit, deeply involved in the historical crisis of his own time, can shape the church’s discipleship today. For us, as for the world in which he lived, he can be the light in our darkness.”
1 likes