Start by marking “Past Imperative (Great Game, #1)” as Want to Read:
Past Imperative (Great Game, #1)

Past Imperative (Great Game #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  513 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In a world on the brink of madness...In the summer of 1914, a young man beyond reproach awakens under police guardgrievously injured and accused of heinous, impossible murder.And in a strange, distant place...The youngest member of a penniless acting troupe has been taken prisoner by the loyal minions of a corrupt, vengeful goddess. For an ancient prophecy has divided the ...more
Published November 1st 1996 by Eos (first published October 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Past Imperative, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Past Imperative

Pipsqueaks
Man, you guys, why is no one reading Dave Duncan? I've only ever met one guy who knew who he was, and he was a used bookstore clerk in Edmonton.
Jeremy
This books starts out very promising, and then goes absolutely nowhere for at least the first fifth of the book, which is where I gave up. It's one of those annoying books that skips between two completely unrelated plot-lines. I'm assuming the two main characters will come together at some point. Unfortunately I have very little emotional investment in either one of them.

What really kills me is that other than the slow pace, it's a very well written book. The dialogue is snappy, the secondary c
Sean Randall
"This is August Bank Holiday weekend, Inspector! England is closed."

what an absolutely delightful blend! A superb mix of the English crust with a world of Gods and miracles. The weaving back and forth between worlds zooms up the tension admirably, leaving one in turns desperately frustrated yet so eager to carry on.

"The universe ought to be more logical, and an armed geriatric nun was carrying things altogether too far."

There are echoes of the Seventh Sword series here, particularly in the ways
Angela
Feb 26, 2009 Angela rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angela by: Peggy
I would have given up a third of the way through this book if it hadn't have been for the fact that it was recommended by a friend. It was improving slightly by the last quarter of the book, but it's still not one I will ever read again or really recommend.

The two main characters are in entirely different worlds, seemingly totally and pointlessly unrelated to each other. I guess that is part of the intrigue... but there is very little character development that actually encouraged me to like eit
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in October 1999.

Duncan's novel, first of a trilogy, impressed me deeply despite its rather shaky beginning. He uses two ideas which are rather unusual in the fantasy genre. The first of these is to vary the standard plot in which a normal Earth person is catapulted into a magical world of which he understands nothing by making the events in the two worlds closely connected - the First World War (the Great War) and a contest between the gods of Nextdoor (the G
Ubalstecha
Edward is a typical young British man in Edwardian England. The child of British colonial workers who were murdered in Africa, he has gone to a private (called public) school to be trained to be the next generation to run the empire. So when the drums of war start to pound, Edward feels compelled to sign up to fight for king and country.

The problem is that in another place and another time, Edward is the proficized Liberator. His destiny in the other world is to kill death. And the Gods from tha
emily
Really interesting concept. I enjoyed this first book of the series but disliked the second one so much I didn't finish it, so that tarnishes this one a bit as it doesn't really stand on its own. Maybe I'll power through the second one at some point and see if the 3rd of the trilogy redeems it.
Steve Markham
A good start to what I am hoping is a good series. I enjoyed this book but be warned it is a bit of a slow starter. Set in two worlds during the first world war, that was enough to get me to read it and it is worth it. Have a pen and paper to hand for all the gods.
Jim Callahan
one f the better books I've read this year. the characters are decently done and don't always follow the traditional role of Kid, hottie, and tough guy. I'm enjoying these books quite a bit, and the author is doing a great job of hiding the ending.

Katherine
Fantasy/historical, a young Englishman spoiling to fight in World War I instead finds himself the subject of a strange prophecy in another world. Smooth reading but very slow to get started; the book didn't grab me until it was almost over.
David Korinetz
This is book I of a three part series about how people from our reality can pass through into another where they become gods. This was not the author's best work but I did enjoy the story.
Adrem Kay
Jul 10, 2012 Adrem Kay rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science fiction/fantasy readers
Shelves: fantasy
Please see my review for the third book, Future Indefinite, where I review all three books.
Casnewydd Hydra
Excellent read, quite taken with it and awaiting delivery of rest of series
Steve
The Great Game
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Simon
Simon added it
Jan 26, 2015
  • The Gandalara Cycle I
  • The Fall of the Shell (The Pelbar Cycle, #4)
  • The Sleeping Dragon (Guardians of the Flame, #1)
  • The Door Into Shadow (Tale of the Five, # 2)
  • The Warslayer: The Incredibly True Adventures of Vixen the Slayer, the Beginning
  • The Dragon Lord
  • The Earth Lords
  • Dark Prince (Greek Series, #2)
  • Dhiammara (Artefacts of Power, #4)
  • A Sorcerer's Treason (Isavalta, #1)
  • The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump
  • Dragonworld
  • Wizard War
  • Seven Altars of Dusarra
  • Hiero's Journey (Hiero, #1)
  • The Regiment (The Regiment, #1)
  • Gentleman Takes a Chance (Shifters, #2)
  • Ordeal In Otherwhere

Great Game (3 books)
  • Present Tense (Great Game, #2)
  • Future Indefinite (Great Game, #3)
The Gilded Chain (King's Blades, #1) The Reluctant Swordsman (Seventh Sword, #1) Magic Casement (A Man of His Word, #1) The Destiny of the Sword (Seventh Sword, #3) The Coming of Wisdom (Seventh Sword, #2)

“Now he seemed to be stranded for the rest of his life on a world unknown, more exotic than anywhere Haggard ever Rode or Rudyard ever Kipled.” 0 likes