Start by marking “Memories of My Melancholy Whores” as Want to Read:

3.58  ·  Rating Details ·  49,431 Ratings  ·  2,959 Reviews
On the eve of his ninetieth birthday, our unnamed protagonist - an undistinguished journalist and lifelong bachelor - decides to give himself "the gift of a night of wild love with an adolescent virgin."

The virgin, whom and old madam procures for him, is splendidly young, with the silent power of a sleeping beauty. The night of love blossomes into a transforming year. It i
Hardcover, US / CAN, First Edition, 115 pages
Published October 25th 2005 by Knopf (first published October 19th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Memories of My Melancholy Whores, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memories of My Melancholy Whores

Petra Eggs
To enjoy this book you have to enter the mind and world of this old, old man, living the last years of his life in poverty in the once-grand, decaying house of his youth. His career never rose above second-rate reporter, he never married and never even fell in love. His personal relationships with women were limited to the whores he paid for. A most unfulfilled life.

But then, for a present for his 90th birthday, he gives himself a 14 year-old virgin, a would-be whore. Exhausted from menial labou
Kelly
This is it everyone- The most depressing book I have read. Ever. Yes. This book. Not the ones about the holocaust, brutal wars, awful diseases... this book. About an old man who has only ever slept with whores. I don't know why it got to me like it did, but I would read a few pages and feel physically sick to my stomach. It's not the subject matter (it's interesting), it's not the writing (he's Marquez)... it's just this sense of awfulness. This awful awful life he's lead, and what he has never ...more
Amanda
On a certain level, I truly enjoyed "Memories of My Melancholy Whores". I am always ready to be swept up in the simple whimsy of G.G.M's language, and the sweeping romance and dramatic emotion of his work always appeals to me. But on another very real level I found this book disturbing and sexist.
The book's theme is strikingly reminiscent of "Talk to Her", a recent Almodovar film. Both deal with men who build flowery romantic/erotic relationships in their minds with a completely passive sleeping
Afshar
Aug 10, 2014 Afshar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
پیرمردی که می خواهد جشن نود سالگی اش را با شکوه برگزار کند تا طعم تلخ تنهایی را فراموش کند
او گوشی را بر میدارد و زنگ می زند. زن پشت تلفن، پیرمرد را بیاد می آورد و پیرمرد آنچه را میخواسته، به او میگوید
همه چیز خوب پیش می رود و پیرمرد گوشی را میگذارد.قرار است برای شب تولدش، با دختری 14 ساله و باکره همخوابگی کند
ولی این هوس با هوس های دیگر سال های جوانی و میانسالی اش فرق دارد
و این بار عشق است که هوس را به زانو در می آورد

زندگی هدیه تولد غیر منتظره ای برای پیرمرد دارد
درک زیبایی زندگی ، آنهم زمانی ک
Glenn Sumi
A Latin-American "Lolita" Lite or: Don't Let The Title Scare You (This Isn't A Dirty Old Man Book)

It’s been years since I've read anything by Gabriel García Márquez, and so this little book, while not as grand, sweeping or substantial as the works that earned him the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1982, came as a lovely, gentle surprise.

Reading it felt like catching up with a grizzled old friend who can tell a mean story. García Márquez’s seductive writing has a perfumed air of nostalgia and roma
ميقات الراجحي
كنت أقول دومًا أن ثمة أعمال يحصل بينها وبين أعمال أخرى تلاقي / تقارب من الأفكار لا أتحدث عن السطو والسرقة - رغم وجود هذا الشيء - بل أتحدث عن تناغم بين كتابين بطريقة خفية، أو بواسطة إلهام من كتاب سابق يناقش الكتاب الذي بين يديك مثلًًا، وعندما كتب
ياسوناري كواباتا / Yasunari Kawabata

روايته / : والتي وصلتنا بترجمتها (الجميلات النائمات / ) وهى رواية غريبة الموضوع وأعتقد الغرابة تكمن عندي من إختلاف الثقافات ليس أكثر. أقول عند تأليفها "تمنى ماركيز لو أنه كتبها". لهذا لا أعلم أجد فكرة الجميلة النائمة ع
Lynda
"The year I turned ninety, I wanted to give myself the gift of a night of wild love with an adolescent virgin. I'm ugly, shy and anachronistic. But by dint of not wanting to be those things I have pretended to be just the opposite. Until today, when I have resolved to tell of my own free will just what I'm like, if only to ease my conscience. The beginning of a new life at an age when most mortals have already died."

whores/

There is no subject in our society that is associated with more myths and misinf
Hilda
Jan 27, 2008 Hilda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't like this story. The writing as always was wonderful - the descriptions, the language, the character development - all excellent. The story however was extremely disturbing and sad.

Chapter 1 in particular, when the narrator describes how upon turning 90 he decided he wanted to have sex with a young virgin was appalling. Then the local madam finds a 14 year old, poor, illiterate girl for him. He goes to see her and finds her asleep because she had been so afraid she had to be sed
Robert
Dec 27, 2007 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Men who love women
The review I wrote for amazon.

A curious and lovely book

In the US, we understand sexy but we struggle with the erotic. We read the body like we read the newspaper, by habit; with a glance. Our real failure in love is our failure to take our time. It's not in our nature to wait, to sample, to savor. We rush into love as if we were late to an appointment. Gabriel Garcia Marquez in his MEMORIES OF MY MELANCHOLY WHORES doesn't rush. The book is a seduction and moves at that quiet lazy confident pace.
Salma
May 04, 2012 Salma rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
قرأتها قبل سنوات
و لم يخطر لي أن أضيفها لقائمة كتبي
ربما لأني لم أكن أعتبرها شيئا على الإطلاق حتى أذكره
حتى فتحت بالصدفة صفحة الرواية و ذهلت من الحديث عنها، بل من أني قد كنت قرأتها فعلا و كل هذه الأمور الساحرة و الجميلة التي يتحدثون عنها لم أشعر بها... أذكر كل ما شعرت منها هو أنها أذتني...0
القالب الذي وضعت فيه مؤذ... الفكرة مؤذية... رؤيا المؤلف للحياة بحد ذاتها جعلتني أكره الحياة و أود لو أخرج من جلدي و لو صدقت هذه الرؤيا لأصبت بالنقمة على البشرية...0
لم أعد أذكر التفاصيل تماما، و لكنها عن رجل تسعين
Ian "Marvin" Graye
Immortified

I’ve wondered for a long time how to talk to you about this. How to explain myself, if such a thing is necessary or possible. Should I even bother? Would you understand? Will you be able to see things from my point of view? Could you find it in your heart to forgive me?

Ironically, perhaps, if you believe in God, the Holy Spirit, then you might be more likely to understand me and therefore to forgive.

My desire is not so much that you understand what I have done. It’s more important tha
Duane
The book summary and blurb will turn many people away from this book. And yes, it is about a 90 year old man obsessed with a 14 year old prostitute. But that doesn't do justice to what this book is about, and it doesn't do justice to the brilliant writing of Gabriel Garcia Marquez. He didn't win the Nobel Prize for Literature for nothing. Really it's a story of love, and it's a story of a time and place that most of us can't truly imagine. The writing alone makes the effort worthwhile.
Ema
Apr 07, 2013 Ema rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began reading this book in English, but something didn't feel right. The musicality of Márquez' writing was not there. I couldn't believe the old man changed his style over the years. I looked for the Romanian translation and felt relieved: everything sounded the way it should with Márquez. The poetry was still there. That was the first time I looked admiringly to my native language - it has its positive attributes after all, mainly the kinship with Latin. Now I may only imagine how the origin ...more
Andrei Tamaş
Jul 15, 2015 Andrei Tamaş rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Am descoperit ca nu sunt disciplinat din virtute, ci ca reactie impotriva neglijentei mele; ca par generos pentru a-mi masca micimea de suflet; ca exagerez cu prudenta din neincredere; ca sunt tolerant doar ca sa nu ma las prada acceselor de furie pe care abia mi le stapanesc; ca sunt punctual doar ca sa nu se afle cat de putin ma intereseaza timpul altora. Am descoperit, in sfarsit, ca dragostea nu e o stare a spiritului, ci un semn al zodiacului...
Someone
Aug 20, 2010 Someone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتب الأستاذ العقاد مقالا في مناسبة عبوره سن الخمسين بأمان، ووتبعه بآخر عندما تجاوز الستين، وتبعه آخر عند السبعين بعد أن قطع سلالم الستين العشرة ومر على الرقم السبعيني بعنفوان الشيخوخة، وأوقفه الموت قبل أن يتيح له كتابه مقاله لتهنئة نفسه بعبوره عامه الثمانين، فكان العقاد إذن رجلًا سبعينًا، رحمه الله تعالى.

وحافظ إبراهيم قال في رأس الستين:

إني وقفتُ على الستيّن أسألها .. أسوّفتْ؟!، أم أعدّت حر أكفاني؟!

يقول هلى مُدّ في عمره ليشهد العقد السابع أم لا، ولم تسّوف ومات حافظ على رأس الستين، غقر الله تعال
Kwesi 章英狮
Life is so complicated to understand at the same time the working mind of every people, how they think, they act or develop in their entire life. When I was walking nearby a bar, I saw an old man wearing his new clothes bought from the department store while guided by his nurse and stick, and entered a bar. I cannot imagine such scene in my mind esepcially the sexual interaction between an old man and a very young lady.

In this novella, Gabriel García Márquez, put you into deepest imagination whi
Amir
این کتاب آخرین داستان بلند گابریل گارسیا مارکز هست... کتاب در سال 2004 نوشته شده و ترجمه فارسی اسم کتاب میشه خاطرات روسپی های سودا زده من... کتاب در ایران با اسم خاطره دلبران سودازده من چاپ شد و بعد از اینکه چاپ شد وزارت ارشاد ممنوع اعلامش کرد و شروع کرد به جمع کردنش و با مسئولانی هم که مجوز چاپ داده بودن به شدت برخورد کرد و به نقل از خود وزارت ارشاد اخراجشون کرد... .
توضیح مختصری در مورد کتاب بگم براتون... سبک نوشتاری کتاب کاملا همون سبک آشنای مارکز هست... (گابریل گارسیا مارکز جزو نویسندگان مورد
Foad
دیدگاه صمیمی و روشن و در عین حال، شدیداً شاعرانه ی گابریل گارسیا مارکز، همیشه من رو به تحسین و شگفتی وا میداره.
بین نویسنده های وطنی، رایج شده که هر کس بخواد دیدی روشنفکرانه و عمیق به زندگی داشته باشه، حتماً باید این دید تاریک و تلخ باشه. مارکز نشون میده که میشه بدون تلخ اندیشی و بدون دپرس کردن خواننده، دیدی عمیق - و زیبا - به زندگی داشت. تا جایی که حتا وقتی از وحشت از مرگ سخن میگه، شما رو با شیرین ترین و رنگارنگ ترین رؤیاها رو به رو میکنه.

رمان رو میتونید از اینجا دانلود کنید:
Carlos De Eguiluz
Dec 17, 2016 Carlos De Eguiluz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En esta novela, Márquez narra la conmovedora, pero increíblemente extraña historia de un periodista, que al cumplir su novena década de vida, decide celebrarse con una noche de placer con una virgen jovencita. Sin planearlo, el hombre terminará por enamorarse por primera vez en toda su vida, pero, como ya dije antes, de una adolecente, de una menor de edad.

Mi opinión:
Leí lolita de Vladimir Nabokov, y a pesar de que la historia me pareció brillante, eso no significó que estuviera de acuerdo con l
Ahmed Ibrahim

" ليست السن هى ما بلغه أحدنا من العمر ، بل ما يشعر به "
" الجنس هو العزاء الذى يلجأ إليه المرأ عندما لا يحصل على الحب "

ها هو الساحر يخرج لنا من جرابه رواية رائعة - كعادته - وتحمل معانى انسانية كثيرة .
بعد أن عرف الكثير والكثير من النساء الذى لم يعرف معهم معنى الحب .. عند بلوغه التسعين يكتشف المعنى الحقيقى له .. وأن الرابطة الجسدية لا تغنى أبدا عن الرابطة السحرية المسماة بالحب .
رواية انسانية توصف الرجل التسعينى ومشاعره بمهارة بالغة .
ماركيز صاحب أفضل اسلوب سردى من وجهة نظرى .. فهو ساحر بلا ادنى ش
K.D. Absolutely
Jul 23, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Ayban
Shelves: borrowed, sex, drama, funny
A 90-year old man falls in love for the first time. He has been single all his life and pays whore to have sex with him. He is a writer and his boss does not want him to stop writing because people would like to know how it feels to be a ninety-year old man.

It is a novella (short novel) that you can finish in 2 hours. However, it took me 6 days to finish it because I read it along with somebody in our book club here in Goodreads. She is a lot younger than me and she also liked this book. It was
Ahmed
Apr 13, 2014 Ahmed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
العظيم : ماركيز
فى عمل انسانى معقد (رغم صغر حجمه) يرصد حال رجل فى التسعين بعد حياة زاخرة بالعمل والمتعه

عرف مئات النساء وعمل لعقود طويله
يرصد حاله عندما بلغ التسعين
من قرأ (الحب فى زمن الكوليرا) ويذكر فلورنتينو اريثا ومغامراته سيلاحظ شبه ببطل هذا العمل
فى المجمل روايه لن تأخذ من وقتك ساعه وستترك انطباع جيد
هذا لا ينفى كونها اقل اعمل ماركيز مما قرات له
Carmo
May 31, 2013 Carmo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: colombia, nobel, bib-p
"No ano dos meus noventa anos quis oferecer a mim mesmo uma noite de amor louco com uma adolescente virgem."

A julgar pelo titulo e pelo primeiro parágrafo, poder-se-ia pensar que este seria um livro todo malandreco com direito a risota. Puro engano, é exatamente o oposto. O característico bom humor de García Márques está presente em doses generosas, mas não é um humor virado para a piada fácil, é antes um humor fruto de muito conhecimento, de quem já viveu muito e já aprendeu a rir de si mesmo.
سپینود
Nov 22, 2007 سپینود rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

من یک سئوال دارم؟ چطور می شود به کسی که این پروفایل را درست کرده دست یافت؟
به این دلیل که خواهش کنیم از این به بعد طرح روی جلد کتابها را، نه فقط این کتاب را، بگذارند.
این جا اگر هدف تشویق است برای کتابخوانی باید چشمها را هم به جلد کتابها اشنا کرد. زحمت چندانی هم ندارد.
من خودم شخصن دیگر کتابهای بدون عکس جلد اضافه نمیکنم. دیگر ان هم اگر این کار را کنند، آن وقت کسانی که پروفایلها را می سازند دقت بیشتری میکنند.
Zahra Dashti
همیشه فکر می کردم شور و شوق و شیدایی عاشق شدن ، مال دوران جوانی است و عشق میان سالی و پیری ، توام با آرامش و خونسردیه.... و برام جالب بود که این کتاب نشون داد اشتباه فکر می کردم
به زیبایی اون حالات پر آشوپ افسون گر و اون غم نابودگر شیرین که آدمی با همه وجود می طلبدش رو تصویر کرده. انتظار چنین کتابی رو با توجه به آثار قبلی نویسنده نداشتم ،در واقع نوشتن و ترسیم چنین فضای و حالاتی رو !
Sarit
Aug 28, 2007 Sarit rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Garcia Marquez is getting tired. He dashed off this half-hearted little story and no publisher or faithful reader could resist the draw of his name. But if it had been someone's first work, it never would have been published.
Bianca
How do I rate this, when I don't even know what to make of it?

It's Gabriel Garcia Marquez, whose writing I'm terribly fond of, his 'One Hundred Years Of Solitude' being one of my favourite books of all time. Now, I'll be honest and admit that knowing it was written by Garcia Marquez influenced me. It's hard to say how much.

The writing is phenomenal, it has a great flow, beautiful descriptions and great characterisations.

The subject, well, that one was a bit disconcerting. I suspect Garcia Marqu
hossein sharifi
نام اصلی کتاب :
Memoria de mis putas tristes
و یا به انگلیسی
Memories of My Melancholy Whores
که مترجم ( کاوه میرعباسی) از سر ناچار آن را به "خاطره دلبرکان غمگین من" ترجمه کرده است.
درست تر آن " خاطرات روسپیان سودازده من" می باشد که جناب فطانت آن را از زبان اصلی ترجمه کرده اند. و تنها میتوان نسخه ی الکترونیکی آن را پیدا کرد
داستان این کتاب همه جا بارها نقل شده است و دیگر نیازی نیست که من نیز آن را بازگو کنم. نکته ی بسیار جالب تنها در نام کتاب است. خاطرات عشق پیرمرد به هیچ عنوان غمگین و یا سودازده نی
Algernon
Apr 27, 2012 Algernon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
this novella shares a lot of the themes from Love in the Time of Cholera, with the main protagonist an old libertine reminiscing about his experiencens in the city's red quarter, who discovers that the heart is still capable of love regardless how old your bones are... and old fashioned romantic hidden in the skin of a cynic.

Don't be fooled by the opening phrase: yes, this leecher is craving a nubile virgin as a gift for his ninetieth birthday, but the story is not a voyeuristic lust fest. Carna
Açelya
Aug 13, 2016 Açelya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bir "Yüzyıllık Yalnızlık" değildi belki ama Marquez'in öykücülüğü yine etkileyiciydi. Öyle bir anlatımı var ki tasvip etmediği gibi yargılayamıyor da insan..
  • Budapeste
  • Under the Jaguar Sun
  • El huerto de mi amada
  • The Actual
  • میرا
Gabriel José de la Concordia García Márquez was a Colombian novelist, short-story writer, screenwriter and journalist. García Márquez, familiarly known as "Gabo" in his native country, was considered one of the most significant authors of the 20th century. In 1982, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

He studied at the University of Bogotá and later worked as a reporter for the Colombian n
More about Gabriel García Márquez...

“I discovered that my obsession for having each thing in the right place, each subject at the right time, each word in the right style, was not the well-deserved reward of an ordered mind but just the opposite: a complete system of pretense invented by me to hide the disorder of my nature. I discovered that I am not disciplined out of virtue but as a reaction to my negligence, that I appear generous in order to conceal my meanness, that I pass myself off as prudent because I am evil-minded, that I am conciliatory in order not to succumb to my repressed rage, that I am punctual only to hide how little I care about other people’s time. I learned, in short, that love is not a condition of the spirit but a sign of the zodiac.” 593 likes
“No matter what, nobody can take away the dances you've already had.” 315 likes