3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  42 reviews
In this definitive portrait of the political and social life of Georgetown, bestselling biographer C. David Heymann chronicles the dinner parties, correspondence, overlappings, and underpinnings of some of the most influential women in Washington's history.

"The Georgetown Ladies' Social Club" -- a term coined by Ronald Reagan -- comprises a list of formidable and fascina...more
Published November 2nd 2004 by Atria Books (first published October 1st 2003)

Lobstergirl
Feb 04, 2013 Lobstergirl rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lobstergirl by: Porfirio Rubirosa
Everyone in this book, woman or man, made me so queasy I wouldn't touch any of them with a 15-foot pole. Whether it was Peter Duchin walking in on Averell Harriman and Pamela Churchill (both way over the hill at that point) going at it on the sofa with her skirt up around her waist and lipstick all over his face, or people marveling at how this or that hostess was so successful because she knew how to make men feel powerful, or Joan Braden asserting that Pamela Harriman was "the last of the grea...more
Morgan
This book started slow but definitely picked up. It spans quite a few decades, presidencies, families, and political beliefs and how a small group of women helped influence Georgetown. The book does a good job of showing how the women's influence grew, peaked, and waned, which was well done, but the biggest problem is that the book is supposed to be, according to the cover, about Kay Graham, Lorraine Cooper, Evangeline Bruce, Pamela Harriman, and Sally Quinn. The author, however, indulges his wh...more
KOMET
The "The Georgetown Ladies' Social Club: Power, Passion, and Politics in the Nation's Capital" is a book that draws the reader in once he/she has ventured beyond a few pages. The reader is taken back to an era in Washington DC (and by extension, the nation) when policy decisions and key relationships among politicians (and their wives and/or mistresses), diplomats, literary and media figures were made in the private homes of a select number of politicians, policy makers, diplomats, the well-heel...more
Margie
Heymann describes this book as "an anecdotal record of the lives of five women who helped run Washington from behind the scenes." He also describes it as "a social history of Georgetown."

As you might imagine, then, it's largely personality driven. And personalities are perceived differently by different people. What one person perceives as strength, another might see as domineering. Heymann does a fine job of presenting many facets, observed by many people, of these five women (Kay Graham, Lorr...more
Jacquelyn  Orton
This is one of the best books I have read in many years. Now, granted, I'm a total political junkie, used to live in Georgetown, and knew several of the players in the book. Still, I learned so much about DC, politics, protocol and history that I could not put this book down. Literally. And it's a big book! I carried this book in my purse for four days and read it every chance I had.

The Georgetown Ladies Social Club tells the story of the important roles a small group of women played in our nat...more
Kara
Aug 14, 2007 Kara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people interested in DC history
This was a good book in that it enlightened me to the social hierarchy that helped build the city of DC. I thought I would be all about this book, because I felt like it'd have a bunch of intrigue and scandal laced through its pages, but I was only half right. If you aren't acutely familiar with all of the "old school" DC-area families and their roles in the cultivation of this city and its social structure, you will definitely get overwhelmed with this book (I know I did). There were points whe...more
Latarsha
The long and short of it is: I've always thought Sally Quinn was a mean-spirited mental lightweight and this book proves it. It was a great read, a little heavy on the name-dropping of who attended what party (and there are TONS of parties), but its gossipy and fun and powerful in places and you realize that as the presence of women changes in DC and women are playmakers in their own right, this enclave of powerful wives is no longer needed. For readers, the stories of Evangeline Bruce and Lorra...more
Erin
While it was an interesting insight into what it meant to be female in the old boys world of Georgetown, I wasn't impressed with the writing. I thought the author lacked narrative focus, and was therefore prone to tangents. I wasn't sure what he was trying to accomplish with this book - capturing the feel of Georgetown life? Showing how women's roles within it transformed over time? Giving biographies of its most prominent women? Even outside those sweeping categories he seemed to bob between, I...more
Snogged
This book was selected by my book club for this month's read and I don't think I would have gravitated to the book on my own if it hadn't been assigned to me.

The stories started out pretty slow and I admit that I skimmed quite a number of pages, especially those that were littered with the names of people who were attending the parties in Georgetown (and that kind of name-dropping happened a lot!)

I thought C. David Heymann did a good job of showing how the Georgetown ladies influenced the polit...more
Gina
To enjoy this book, it helps immensely to be curious about DC society and politics and also the history and transition of the Washington Post. I am not; however, I still found it a fun read and I learned much more about major players such as Katharine Graham, Lorraine Cooper, Evangeline Bruce, Pamela Harriman and Sally Quinn. Unfortunately, I suspect the only thing I'll remember is that Katharine Graham transformed through tragedy and time from sheepish to bold and that Sally Quinn was the Posts...more
Jsmith1000
A look at the 'power' behind what is published in The Washington Post, as well as what some consider the real driving force behind issues that make it to the attention of national/world media. Frankly, I found the main characters superficial; the very effort involved to stay 'striving' and to keep up the facade of power and prestige was exhausting. Finally, the book just struck me as sad...all of these "powerful" individuals needing to sleep with everyone other than their spouse/significant othe...more
laurie
This book got me from start to finish. I also very much enjoy C David Heymann's writing style.

Powerful Washington DC women, who are married to powerful men. High-power politics and business are not for the faint-hearted, as these women aptly demonstrate.
So, there's plenty of heartbreak, as well, with interesting trade-offs.

As a big fan of Ronald Reagan, I chuckled that it was his phrase which describes these women, 'The Georgetown Ladies' Social Club.'

Regardless of your politics~ Enjoy....
Jane
A biography of 5 formidable women: Washington Post publisher Katharine Graham; Lorraine Cooper, wife of Kentucky's Sen. John Sherman Cooper; Evangeline Bruce, wife of U.S. ambassador David Bruce; Democratic Party fund-raiser (and later ambassador) Pamela Harriman, married to the powerful and wealthy Averell Harriman; and Sally Quinn, Washington Post writer and wife of the Post's former executive editor Ben Bradlee.
Their personal stories make for a fascinating read.
Tracie
This book brings to life the old axiom, "the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world". Sadly, while the five women showcased in this book were powerful, elegant, and street-smart, they also possessed the moral compasses of female cats in heat. Infidelity, deceit, and neglect marked their lives in very specific ways. I was hoping to discover a woman who was worthy of admiration--instead, I just felt pity.

An honest insight into how Washington works...
Peggy Jeffcoat
This book is an account of 5 ladies (Katharine Graham, Lorraine Cooper, Evengeline Bruce, Pamela Harriman and Sally Quinn) who influenced politics in Washington over the last 50 years. They brought together politicians, businessmen, artists, journalists etc. into their homes and not only entertained, but provided a forum for discussions on world changing events. It takes awhile to get through this book, but I enjoyed it...probably a 3+.
Hrpattlsp
If you are wild for DC politics, consider this a 3-star review. Otherwise, I think you will tire of the gossip,the revelations of big decisions made for shallow reasons and the influence of alcohol and sex at the top levels of government.

I was fascinated by the details of these notable lives for the first half of the book and then I was ready to get beyond the sleaze and dysfunction of a world I did not admire.
Cat
My book club's selection for February 2009. I only got through about 50 pages of this book. It was quite interesting to get a qlimpse of Georgetown socialite life in the 1900's (both early and late) and as I read it, I kept thinking of my friend who lives off of P Street in DC... good, but I found it hard to keep track of all of the notable names and not engaging enough to keep me coming back for more.
I thought I would just eat this up. Some of it was interesting. Overall, I couldn't wait to get finished with it. At the halfway point I started to feel as though despite some of the great things that were accomplished, the women were coming across as catty and self-important. The last chapter of the book seemed to get back on track. I'm glad I read it, but I'm glad I'm done with it too.
Beth Ann
Closer to 3-1/2. I really enjoyed this since Washington, DC, is my life-long home. Many of the names were familiar to me, and I had even met a few, so it felt very personal. Not sure I would have enjoyed it as much if I were not a native Washingtonian. (To be honest, I'll also give any book an extra 1/2 star if I can read it by the pool like I did with this one!)
Carrie
I love Georgetown and stories of successful women, but this was a little scattered for my taste. He wove in several stories and interviews, but it was hard to keep track of so many characters and their roles and relationships.
Jodi
Ah yes. The wealthy women who ruled the men who ruled the world. Nothing better then to get to know who screwed who in their ambitious climb to the top. Interesting fact from this book, Julia Child was a spy.
Barb
I was a bit disheartened when I read these accounts of all the intrigue and behind the scenes manipulating that took place back in the 60's and 70's. I guess some things never change!
Mary
Pretty cool book - it's great to read a little bit of gossipy history of DC. Love the parties, the descriptions of the houses, the cattiness, the affairs, tragedy, etc.
Sandi
I loved this book and all the behind-the-scenes D.C. politics when dinner parties were often like salons. Katharine Graham and Sally Quinn were fascinating.
Cathy Ingersoll
slow to read.took a a while. didnt want to miss anything,because its all tied up with history,and people who shaped our world in the last 40 years.
Kristen
Fascinating read. An intimate look at the women who were powerful in Washington. It was the perfect blend of gossip and politics.
Janet W.
So.... I'm really enjoying reading about Katharine Graham. It's surprising to read about such a smart woman having such a gilded cage.
Michelle
Apparently you must be married at least 3 times to be a power lady in Washington. Interesting look at some famous ladies.
Isabel Lara
Must read for anybody who lives in Georgetown! Very fun and insightful look at life in DC where all dinner parties have a reason.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
C. David Heymann is the internationally known author of such New York Times bestselling books as The Georgetown Ladies' Social Club; RFK: A Candid Biography of Robert F. Kennedy; Poor Little Rich Girl: The Life and Legend of Barbara Hutton; and A Woman Named Jackie: An Intimate Biography of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis. Three of his works have been made into award-winning NBC-TV miniseries....more
More about C. David Heymann...
A Woman Named Jackie: An Intimate Biography of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis Bobby and Jackie: A Love Story R F K: A Candid Biography of Robert F. Kennedy American Legacy: The Story of John and Caroline Kennedy Liz: An Intimate Biography of Elizabeth Taylor