Start by marking “An Emergent Manifesto of Hope (emersion: Emergent Village resources for communities of faith)” as Want to Read:

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Many have heard of the emerging church, but few people feel like they have a handle on what the emerging church believes and represents. Is it a passing fad led by disenfranchised neo-evangelicals? Or is it the future of the church at large? An Emergent Manifesto of Hope represents a coming together of divergent voices into a conversation that pastors, students, and though ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about An Emergent Manifesto of Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Emergent Manifesto of Hope

Douglas
Mar 01, 2008 Douglas rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people interested in American Christianity
Recommended to Douglas by: Doug Pagitt
Andrew
Read two books now on the Emerging Church, and a few people have asked me about it.

X: "So what is the Emergent Movement?"

AW: "I don't know."

X: "But you just read two books about it."

AW: "Yeah, but I have no idea what it's about."

X: "Is it really that difficult?"

AW: "No. I just don't think the Emergents even know what they're about."

That is basically what I've learned. It's a movement without a direction. And far from saying that in a negative sense, I think it makes them one of the more promisin
Bobby
I figured some accused so much in the past of being Emergent that I better read a book to find out what it is that I am. ;o)

I have to admit that I did enjoy reading this. I didn't agree with every chapter, but I resonated with a lot. It's good. And I guess, yeah, that in some ways I'm more emergent than I thought. I don't agree with some theological positions, but I do love many of the concepts of practice, church, and Christian lifestyle that are presented.

This is an "overview" book though, an
Ike
Jun 26, 2008 Ike rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who need an introduction to Emergent things.
Not going to lie I didn't read the whole book. I only read sections I was interested in and I may continue to read sections once and awhile, but for the most part I have read the sections that interested me by the authors that interest me the most. I found a lot of the content less than engaging, because it felt like I had already read what they were trying to say in some other book. I would recommend it as an introduction to things Emergent, but don't spend the money if you are already well inf ...more
Todd Miles
This is an edited volume of some 30 individuals associated with the Emergent Church movement. Much like all emergent writing, it focuses on missional living and missional ecclesiology. Some of what they have to say is good; some of what they have to say is atrocious; it is all theologically deficient.
Josh
If you are working in or a part of a non-dom or an emergent church, this is something you should check out. Some of the essays are a little convoluted and lose track, but most are spot on and give good insight to where the church should be heading in a post-christian world.
Nathan Smith
Nov 06, 2008 Nathan Smith is currently reading it
awesome collection of small essays that give a taste of where each person/author is coming from. The essay by Dwayne Friesen on orthoparadoxy is amazing.
Jason
Mar 13, 2008 Jason is currently reading it
I've been easily distracted from this one by many others, if that says anything. I've skimmed most of it though, and there's a lot of good stuff in there.
Joshua Duffy
Although it gave an overview of different ideas from leading emerging church people, I found the book rather boring most of the time.
Dean P.
Essentially this book of essays. There are some good ones and some bad ones, but overall the tone and arc of this book is worth the read.
Amanda
Oct 01, 2010 Amanda is currently reading it
Found this whilst looking for books on postmodern art. Looks pretty interesting.
Drew Downs
A collection of essays, many of which are outstanding and really useful.
Lane
A few of the essays are really good. It's at least a broad perspective.
Rich
Oct 21, 2007 Rich marked it as to-read
a couple different people i know contributed to this.
Jessica Halverstadt
Jessica Halverstadt marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Seth Bobbink
Seth Bobbink marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Jenna Berthoud
Jenna Berthoud marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Douglas Herron
Douglas Herron marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The New Christians: Dispatches from the Emergent Frontier
  • Emerging Churches: Creating Christian Community in Postmodern Cultures
  • Everything Must Change
  • The Great Emergence: How Christianity is Changing and Why
  • The Emerging Church: Vintage Christianity for New Generations
  • The Fidelity of Betrayal: Towards a Church Beyond Belief
  • Who's Afraid of Postmodernism?: Taking Derrida, Lyotard, and Foucault to Church (The Church and Postmodern Culture)
  • Exiles: Living Missionally in a Post-Christian Culture
  • The Church in Emerging Culture: Five Perspectives
  • Colossians Remixed: Subverting the Empire
  • Soultsunami: Sink or Swim in New Millennium Culture
  • Economy of Desire
  • Deep Church: A Third Way Beyond Emerging and Traditional
  • A Community Called Atonement
  • What Would Jesus Deconstruct?: The Good News of Postmodernism for the Church (The Church and Postmodern Culture)
  • Younger Evangelicals, The
  • Transforming Mission: Paradigm Shifts in Theology of Mission
  • Adventures in Missing the Point
Doug Pagitt is the head pastor of Solomon's Porch in South Minneapolis and a Senior Fellow with Emergent Village: a generative friendship of missional church leaders around the world and a leading architect of the emergent church discussion.
More about Doug Pagitt...
A Christianity Worth Believing: Hope-filled, Open-armed, Alive-and-well Faith for the Left Out, Left Behind, and Let Down in us All Preaching Re-Imagined: The Role of the Sermon in Communities of Faith Church Re-Imagined: The Spiritual Formation of People in Communities of Faith Church in the Inventive Age Reimagining Spiritual Formation: A Week in the Life of an Experimental Church