Start by marking “Nonfiction Matters: Reading, Writing, and Research in Grades 3-8” as Want to Read:
Nonfiction Matters: Reading, Writing, and Research in Grades 3-8

Nonfiction Matters: Reading, Writing, and Research in Grades 3-8

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  12 reviews
When we open the gates to nonfiction inquiry, we open our thinking and expect the unexpected, making reading discoveries, research discoveries, and writing discoveries on our way. Nonfiction Matters offers teachers the tools to help students explore nonfiction and dig deep to reach more complete understanding of the real world and report these insights in a compelling mann ...more
Published January 1st 1998 by Stenhouse Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Nonfiction Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nonfiction Matters

Modeling and facilitating the "The Writing Process" has always been my favorite part of literacy as I worked with young students. Lucy Calkins and Stephanie Harvey have been my own personal gurus, teaching me the strategies to teach the mini-lessons that help students' writing grow. Since social studies is my passion, I always strove to integrate literacy and social studies. Here is where Nonfiction Matters is essential to an elementary teacher's toolkit. I met Stephanie Harvey when she was invi ...more
Jestine Myers
I found this book on my own and decided it might be a good book to study with the current focus on nonfiction reading in schools. I really enjoyed reading through and making notes about it. This book explores the process of guiding students through and inquiry-based nonfiction project where they discover an area of interest, research that area, and create a project with their findings. The process in this book outlines a thorough method that goes far beyond finding a few books and writing a 5-pa ...more
Sep 07, 2015 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: school
Dated technology references, but still worth the read. The author includes lots of ways to write about and respond to the reading of nonfiction texts. I will use this information in an inservice I am preparing.
Stephanie Harvey explores teaching nonfiction in this engaging book. It is full of ideas that can be easily used in the classroom and makes nonfiction anything but boring!
Ann Haefele
Good ideas regarding reading and writing nonfiction in the classroom, with many lessons that can carry over to library instruction. But because it is 1998 copyright, the resources suggested for use are a bit dated. There is a wealth of new nonfiction since the advent of common core that can be added to the suggested lessons. See your school librarian!!
One complaint is that through the many chapters about using nonfiction for research projects, rarely (except for Chapter 8) was the school librari
Sep 29, 2007 Mary rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: frou-frou English teachers like me who think of teaching nonfiction as a chore
Shelves: teacher-books
Dug this out of the Professional Development bucket at my school on the advice of my co-op. I'll be using a lot of the frameworks in chapters seven through ten to throw together a nonfiction unit around the topic of Columbia's expansion into Harlem, a cultural event about which my students (and I) have very strong feelings but know very few facts. I'm hoping the subject will get them excited enough to to some hard-core research with me. We'll see.
It's too bad we don't have time to read professional books until we retire! Finally got to complete this book and was pleased that I used a lot of the practices in the media center!
Jen Munnerlyn
Mar 08, 2009 Jen Munnerlyn marked it as to-read
This book has been ordered for the 2009-10 school year on the advice of Katherine Casey who led the NESA Literacy Coaching group meeting in Jordan in November, 2008.
A good book to encourage student inquiry and passion in learning. Student choice is promoted in independent projects.
Jun 29, 2008 Reeves is currently reading it
Well...I need to read some PD this summer. So far-this book is great. It will be helpful for planning in the fall!
My only 5 star book so far. Amazing resource for teachers.
Shana Karnes
Some good, practical ideas!
Patty marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Camila added it
Oct 18, 2015
Juan Cervantes
Juan Cervantes marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Danyel Bennett
Danyel Bennett marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Craft Lessons
  • Study Driven: A Framework for Planning Units of Study in the Writing Workshop
  • 6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide: Grades 3 & Up: Everything You Need to Teach and Assess Student Writing With This Powerful Model
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • Nonfiction Craft Lessons: Teaching Information Writing K-8
  • Lessons That Change Writers: Lessons with 3-Ring Binder [With Three Ring Binder Full of Lessons]
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
  • What's the Big Idea?: Question-Driven Units to Motivate Reading, Writing, and Thinking
  • Do I Really Have to Teach Reading?: Content Comprehension, Grades 6-12
  • How's It Going?: A Practical Guide to Conferring with Student Writers
  • The Power of Reading: Insights from the Research
  • Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading: With More Than 75 Articles from the New York Times, Rolling Stone, the Washington Post, Car and Driver, Chicago Tribune, and Many Others
  • Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well
  • Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers