Start by marking “The Lazlo Letters” as Want to Read:
The Lazlo Letters

The Lazlo Letters

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  314 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
In letters to stars, dignitaries, and chairmen of the country's most powerful organizations, Don Novello's alter ego Lazlo Toth pestered his victims for photographs, offered outlandish advice, fired off strange inquiries, and more. The strangest part? Practically everyone answered, leaving Toth with a hilarious collection of outlandish correspondence unmatched in the histo ...more
Published January 7th 1992 by Workman Publishing Company (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Lazlo Letters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lazlo Letters

Josh
Dec 30, 2008 Josh rated it liked it
For such a legendary book, this should have been a lot better.
Perhaps it simply hasn't aged well. Novello's unhinged right-wing fanboy persona may have been hilarious to liberals in the era of Nixon, but in today's atmosphere of Fox News, the conservative blogosphere and internet trolls, Laslo Toth loses some of his bite.

As opposed to Letters From a Nut, where the author crafts bizarre inquiries and requests to solicit comically confused replies from his addressees, Laslo's humor is largely one-
Daniel
Dec 22, 2008 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There have been many pretenders to the throne ("Letters from a Nut" being the best known), but "The Lazlo Letters" is the king of the epistolary humor books. No one has bested Don Novello (a.k.a. both Lazlo Toth and Father Guido Sarducci) in either choosing targets for his letters or in writing the complaints, compliments and comments he unleashes upon them. Few humor books have aged as well as "The Lazlo Letters" has.
Amelia
Oct 17, 2007 Amelia rated it it was amazing
WHEN I FIND OUT WHO "BORROWED" MY COPY OF THIS BOOK AND NEVER RETURNED IT, THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY. As I recall, this was one of my favorite books of all time, and last I checked, it was out of print.

Seriously. The person who stole my book should find a nice dark corner somewhere, 'cause I'm coming to get it back and give you a hearty slap on the wrist, you jerk.
Jeff
Apr 25, 2010 Jeff rated it really liked it
Attention Internet trolls: Don Novello was the master of the troll. This collection, and the 2nd volume, are hilarious compendiums of his bogus, idiotic letters to important people, and their replies.
Mama K
Mar 01, 2016 Mama K rated it liked it
though funny, this got tedious after a while. I appreciated the concept and it was fun to see the historical references, but after a while the whole idea of all these letters got annoying. I began to feel bad for those having to read and respond to this inanity. A friend gave me this and the second collection. Though I got through this first one this evening--same day she gave them to me--I may take a break before I tackle the second one. The original Saturday Night Live Not Ready for Prime Time ...more
Tracey Renzi
Feb 24, 2015 Tracey Renzi rated it it was amazing
Even 40 years later this political humor makes sense. I literally laughed out loud!!!!
Kate
Jul 28, 2007 Kate rated it really liked it
Deeply satisfying and laugh-out-loud funny.
Fred
Jun 02, 2016 Fred rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
Read this for the I-don't-know-how-manyth time the summer after my son was born and my attention span for reading was consequently diminished. I first read it in the late 1970s, when I was too young to understand a lot of the political jokes. But I liked the tone and the concept and many of the loonier flights of fancy. The book remained a fixture on my shelf for many years, being joined by associated books like the Saturday Night Live script book and the Blues Brothers book. All of them shared ...more
Andy
Aug 12, 2008 Andy rated it liked it
Don Novello writes to various politicians, institutions, and corporations, posing as Lazlo Toth, a character who is more or less a wack job. He generally makes some kind of insane suggestion to the company, and the replies to Toth's letters try to diplomatically send him on his way (sometimes the "victim" drops the niceties and just tells him to get screwed).

If you like this one, also seek out the much rarer, but even more hilarious "Dear Mr. Mackin" by the "Rev." Richard J. Mackin, an obvious
John
Feb 18, 2015 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a hoot! The original social media!
Maureen Flatley
Mar 14, 2014 Maureen Flatley rated it it was amazing
One of the funniest books ever.
Gerald
Nov 08, 2009 Gerald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: off-the-wall
I guess you had to be there to appreciate the humor in this strange little book. Don Novello's alter-ego, Father Guido Sarducci, was my favorite SNL character from the early years of the show. This little book is a great addition to those hilarious Don Novello memories.
Ginger
Feb 09, 2009 Ginger rated it it was amazing
Hysterical deadpan letters to various politicians and celebrities from the fictional Lazlo Toth, in reality Don Novello of Saturday Night Live fame (Father Guido Sarducci). Even funnier than the letters are some of the answers he got.
Avis Black
Nov 11, 2008 Avis Black rated it did not like it
Shelves: humor
There are good ideas for books, and there bad ones. This is one of the bad ones. Anyone who thinks reading a lot of boring form letter replies to Lazlo's attempts at epistolary trolling has got to be a moron.
Zeke
Dec 19, 2008 Zeke rated it it was amazing
amelia
May 15, 2009 amelia rated it really liked it
My uncle bought this for my 11th(?) birthday. I think it was the perfect gift for me at that age, and I still think of the letters and get the fight song for Nixon stuck in my head time-to-time.
Patrick
Jan 20, 2008 Patrick rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2001
Like "Letters From a Nut," but he wrote to a lot of historical figures as well.
Andrew
Sep 26, 2011 Andrew rated it it was amazing
He really loved Democracy, hated Commies and lost his faith in MR. BUBBLE.
Primadonna
Jan 01, 2008 Primadonna rated it liked it
Actually, this is the first book that I read in 2008. Slipped my mind. ^^;
Mike
Dec 31, 2012 Mike rated it liked it
Cute and subversive. A tough combination to pull off.
Rachel
Nov 25, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This book inspired me to put jelly on my McMuffin.
Andy
Feb 28, 2013 Andy rated it liked it
Very amusing. A great bathroom book for the learned man!
Caroline
Feb 15, 2009 Caroline rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy, nonfiction
Groundbreaking in it's own way
 Dr. Michael Galvin
Apr 02, 2008 Dr. Michael Galvin rated it it was amazing
One of the funniest books I have read.
Nov 06, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
HAHAHAA I wanna try this!
Annie
  • More of the Straight Dope
  • Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese
  • Ogden Nash's Zoo
  • The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe
  • One Last Little Peek, 1980-1995: The Final Strips, the Special Hits, the Inside Tips
  • Strange Days Indeed: The 1970s: The Golden Days of Paranoia