The Lazlo Letters

The Lazlo Letters

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  29 reviews
In letters to stars, dignitaries, and chairmen of the country's most powerful organizations, Don Novello's alter ego Lazlo Toth pestered his victims for photographs, offered outlandish advice, fired off strange inquiries, and more. The strangest part? Practically everyone answered, leaving Toth with a hilarious collection of outlandish correspondence unmatched in the histo...more
Published January 7th 1992 by Workman Publishing Company (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Lazlo Letters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lazlo Letters

Daniel
There have been many pretenders to the throne ("Letters from a Nut" being the best known), but "The Lazlo Letters" is the king of the epistolary humor books. No one has bested Don Novello (a.k.a. both Lazlo Toth and Father Guido Sarducci) in either choosing targets for his letters or in writing the complaints, compliments and comments he unleashes upon them. Few humor books have aged as well as "The Lazlo Letters" has.
Amelia
WHEN I FIND OUT WHO "BORROWED" MY COPY OF THIS BOOK AND NEVER RETURNED IT, THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY. As I recall, this was one of my favorite books of all time, and last I checked, it was out of print.

Seriously. The person who stole my book should find a nice dark corner somewhere, 'cause I'm coming to get it back and give you a hearty slap on the wrist, you jerk.
Kate
Deeply satisfying and laugh-out-loud funny.
Josh
For such a legendary book, this should have been a lot better.
Perhaps it simply hasn't aged well. Novello's unhinged right-wing fanboy persona may have been hilarious to liberals in the era of Nixon, but in today's atmosphere of Fox News, the conservative blogosphere and internet trolls, Laslo Toth loses some of his bite.

As opposed to Letters From a Nut, where the author crafts bizarre inquiries and requests to solicit comically confused replies from his addressees, Laslo's humor is largely one-...more
Andy
Don Novello writes to various politicians, institutions, and corporations, posing as Lazlo Toth, a character who is more or less a wack job. He generally makes some kind of insane suggestion to the company, and the replies to Toth's letters try to diplomatically send him on his way (sometimes the "victim" drops the niceties and just tells him to get screwed).

If you like this one, also seek out the much rarer, but even more hilarious "Dear Mr. Mackin" by the "Rev." Richard J. Mackin, an obvious...more
Maureen Flatley
One of the funniest books ever.
Gerald
I guess you had to be there to appreciate the humor in this strange little book. Don Novello's alter-ego, Father Guido Sarducci, was my favorite SNL character from the early years of the show. This little book is a great addition to those hilarious Don Novello memories.
Ginger
Hysterical deadpan letters to various politicians and celebrities from the fictional Lazlo Toth, in reality Don Novello of Saturday Night Live fame (Father Guido Sarducci). Even funnier than the letters are some of the answers he got.
Avis Black
There are good ideas for books, and there bad ones. This is one of the bad ones. Anyone who thinks reading a lot of boring form letter replies to Lazlo's attempts at epistolary trolling has got to be a moron.
Jeff
Attention Internet trolls: Don Novello was the master of the troll. This collection, and the 2nd volume, are hilarious compendiums of his bogus, idiotic letters to important people, and their replies.
Zeke
amelia
My uncle bought this for my 11th(?) birthday. I think it was the perfect gift for me at that age, and I still think of the letters and get the fight song for Nixon stuck in my head time-to-time.
Patrick
Like "Letters From a Nut," but he wrote to a lot of historical figures as well.
Andrew
He really loved Democracy, hated Commies and lost his faith in MR. BUBBLE.
Primadonna
Actually, this is the first book that I read in 2008. Slipped my mind. ^^;
Mike
Cute and subversive. A tough combination to pull off.
Rachel
This book inspired me to put jelly on my McMuffin.
Andy
Very amusing. A great bathroom book for the learned man!
Caroline
Groundbreaking in it's own way
 Dr. Michael Galvin
One of the funniest books I have read.
HAHAHAA I wanna try this!
Annie
Apr 07, 2008 Barry rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
great fun
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Citizen Lazlo!: The Lazlo Letters, Volume 2 From Bush to Bush: The Lazlo Toth Letters The Blade: Shellville High School