Start by marking “Cherry Ames, Chief Nurse (Cherry Ames, #4)” as Want to Read:
Cherry Ames, Chief Nurse (Cherry Ames, #4)

Cherry Ames, Chief Nurse (Cherry Ames #4)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  424 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In Cherry Ames, Chief Nurse, Cherry is whisked off to a new assignment on an island in the Pacific close to the battlefront. As Acting Chief Nurse Colonel Pillsbee thinks she is too "young and pretty" to successfully supervise sixty nurses and 200 corpsmen. Can she do it? For the first time, Cherry and the nurses of the Spencer unit have to work under fire, in a makeshift ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Springer Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Cherry Ames, Chief Nurse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cherry Ames, Chief Nurse

Audrey
This was really enjoyable! I liked the sense of adventure and intrigue, patriotism (blatant propaganda, really, but that's not necessarily a bad thing) and idealism that characterized this volume. There are also some interesting period details—washing stockings in a helmet, etc.—that add to the authenticity of the story's atmosphere. Although the characterization and plot development is not especially deep, I think this book does a good job of showing both the hardships and the urgent necessity ...more
Julia
I really liked this series as a child, but it's not holding up for me now.

This book continues Cherry's career as an Army nurse during WWII. She is stationed on an island in the Pacific where she serves as Chief Nurse at a temporary hospital during the war with the Japanese.
Mary
Interesting to read...especially regarding the cultural differences between 1944 and now!

Anne
Cherry STILL hasn't emptied a bedpan but in this one, she honest-to-god goes to war. Has to dive into trenches when her Pacific island is attacked in WWII. Good on ya, Cherry! As this one is set during the war, it features anti-Japanese topics more than others, and as I contemplate sharing these books with a young friend (whose grandmother recalls reading the series), I'm thinking that we'd have to have a conversation about why we do not call people Japs any more.
Kylie
Quite liked this! I've been on the hunt for interesting books for my 10 year old niece, where there is a strong female character with all the decent human qualities, and one where romance isn't off the cards, but not a main topic of conversation.
I've always liked mystery books of this type, and this is as good as any.
Trine
This I think is the best of the Cherry Ames books. There are far too few books about nurses at war and this one manages to do it for a young audience in a - I think - realistic way that gives you a feeling of both the danger and the courage during a war.
Bmarieb27
I liked this one better than book 3.
Cyd
Read as a young adult.
Eva Schon
Eva Schon marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Cam
Cam marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Lala G
Lala G marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
  • Cherry Ames, Dude Ranch Nurse
  • Sue Barton, Student Nurse (Sue Barton, #1)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at School (Bobbsey Twins, #4)
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)
  • The Vanishing Shadow (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #1)
  • Prairie School
  • The Gatehouse Mystery
  • Gangsters at the Grand Atlantic (American Girl History Mysteries, #20)
  • The Borrowed House (Young Adult Bookshelf Series)
  • Carney's House Party/Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #1 & #3)
  • Beany Malone
Original name: Helen Weinstock. Social worker turned full-time young adult writer, born in Illinois but moved with family to New York City when she was seven. In 1934 Wells graduated from New York University [where she'd been the first female editor of the literary quarterly], with a major in philosophy and a minor in sociology and psychology.

During World War II, she served as a volunteer with th
More about Helen Wells...

Cherry Ames (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Cherry Ames, Student Nurse (Cherry Ames, #1)
  • Cherry Ames, Senior Nurse (Cherry Ames, #2)
  • Cherry Ames, Army Nurse (Cherry Ames, #3)
  • Cherry Ames, Flight Nurse (Cherry Ames, #5)
  • Cherry Ames, Veterans' Nurse (Cherry Ames, #6)
  • Cherry Ames, Private Duty Nurse (Cherry Ames, #7)
  • Cherry Ames, Visiting Nurse (Cherry Ames, #8)
  • Cherry Ames, Cruise Nurse (Cherry Ames, #9)
  • Cherry Ames At Spencer
  • Cherry Ames, Night Supervisor
Cherry Ames, Student Nurse (Cherry Ames, #1) Cherry Ames, Senior Nurse (Cherry Ames, #2) Cherry Ames, Army Nurse (Cherry Ames, #3) Cherry Ames, Flight Nurse (Cherry Ames, #5) Cherry Ames, Visiting Nurse (Cherry Ames, #8)