Start by marking “Cherry Ames, Chief Nurse (Cherry Ames, #4)” as Want to Read:
Cherry Ames, Chief Nurse (Cherry Ames, #4)

Cherry Ames, Chief Nurse (Cherry Ames #4)

In Cherry Ames, Chief Nurse, Cherry is whisked off to a new assignment on an island in the Pacific close to the battlefront. As Acting Chief Nurse Colonel Pillsbee thinks she is too "young and pretty" to successfully supervise sixty nurses and 200 corpsmen. Can she do it? For the first time, Cherry and the nurses of the Spencer unit have to work under fire, in a makeshift ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Springer Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Cherry Ames, Chief Nurse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cherry Ames, Chief Nurse

Majenta
May 17, 2017 Majenta rated it it was amazing
ACTING Chief Nurse, that is. Picking up days--hours?--after ARMY NURSE left off, CHIEF NURSE finds ACTING Chief Nurse Cherry Ames going into battle, and not just the battle to win the respect of her new Commanding Officer, Colonel Pillsbee, although that's harrowing enough. No, it's jungle combat, complete with mosquitoes, long marches, and mobile-hospital patients with all kinds of physical and psychological wounds. One silent patient suffers the further indignity of a typo in the text, which h ...more
Sue
May 27, 2017 Sue rated it liked it
Glad to see both Cherry and Charlie reunited and very glad there is no appearance of Rex!
Jane Irish Nelson
3.5 stars. Rather formulaic: Cherry has difficulties dealing with a superior, this time an Army officer; she worries about whether or not she will be able to perform her new duties; and she uncovers and eventually solves a mystery.

At the beginning of this book, Cherry has been promoted to acting Chief Nurse (at the age of just 22!), and sent ahead to a Pacific Island to await the arrival of the rest of the Spencer nurses. They will be establishing a field hospital on one of the forward islands,
Audrey
This was really enjoyable! I liked the sense of adventure and intrigue, patriotism (blatant propaganda, really, but that's not necessarily a bad thing) and idealism that characterized this volume. There are also some interesting period details—washing stockings in a helmet, etc.—that add to the authenticity of the story's atmosphere. Although the characterization and plot development is not especially deep, I think this book does a good job of showing both the hardships and the urgent necessity ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 17, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book in the series and I think is the best of the first four even the others have also been really good. In this case Cherry and her nurses are on a Pacific Island. The book does a very good job describing how they get set up and the various problems that they encounter. The mystery involves which seems to be a new enemy weapon. There's also direct action in the book as the island that Cherry and the nurses are on is attacked.

There's also a lot of anti-Japanese material, of c
Becca
Sep 13, 2016 Becca rated it really liked it
I just can't get enough of this series! It is so awesome! This time Cherry is right in the thick of battle as the U.S.A. fights Japan in World War II. She must treat the soldiers gun shot wounds and tropical illnesses. Cherry is strong, young, and independent, which is so awesome to see in literature- especially when this series was written. This was a time when women weren't really out getting careers much. Forget gymnastics and figure skating, women can face the dangers of war just like men an ...more
Anne
Jun 19, 2009 Anne rated it really liked it
Cherry STILL hasn't emptied a bedpan but in this one, she honest-to-god goes to war. Has to dive into trenches when her Pacific island is attacked in WWII. Good on ya, Cherry! As this one is set during the war, it features anti-Japanese topics more than others, and as I contemplate sharing these books with a young friend (whose grandmother recalls reading the series), I'm thinking that we'd have to have a conversation about why we do not call people Japs any more.
Kylie
Apr 27, 2013 Kylie rated it really liked it
Quite liked this! I've been on the hunt for interesting books for my 10 year old niece, where there is a strong female character with all the decent human qualities, and one where romance isn't off the cards, but not a main topic of conversation.
I've always liked mystery books of this type, and this is as good as any.
Julia
Apr 20, 2014 Julia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-ii, ya
I really liked this series as a child, but it's not holding up for me now.

This book continues Cherry's career as an Army nurse during WWII. She is stationed on an island in the Pacific where she serves as Chief Nurse at a temporary hospital during the war with the Japanese.
Trine
Sep 07, 2010 Trine rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, danish, re-read, 2010
This I think is the best of the Cherry Ames books. There are far too few books about nurses at war and this one manages to do it for a young audience in a - I think - realistic way that gives you a feeling of both the danger and the courage during a war.
Bethany Zimp
Feb 28, 2016 Bethany Zimp rated it liked it
This book was new to me, I must have missed it as a child. Cherry Ames goes to a Pacific Island and sets up an evacuation hospital during WWII. Interesting to learn about the medicine practices of the day and get a little fictionalized historical propaganda from the era.
Kay
Aug 09, 2015 Kay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Loved this series as a kid, enjoyed them just as much as an adult. Loved Cherry's adventures as a nurse as well as mystery attached to story. Interesting to note differences in medicine at time book was written with today's standards.
Cyd
Sep 13, 2011 Cyd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Read as a young adult.
Genia
Aug 25, 2015 Genia rated it it was amazing
I am really enjoying the Cherry Ames books. It's time they were introduced to today's young ladies.
Marianne Jay
Nov 25, 2012 Marianne Jay rated it it was amazing
This series if books is a lifelong dream come true. I'm in heaven.
TJ
Dec 12, 2015 TJ rated it liked it
Quick fun read. Nice nostalgia.
Mary
Jul 19, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Interesting to read...especially regarding the cultural differences between 1944 and now!

Hannah
Dec 10, 2016 Hannah rated it did not like it
Racist as fuck.
Molly S
Jan 05, 2016 Molly S rated it it was amazing
The WWII setting was thrilling!
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2011
Pretentia
Pretentia rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Alicia
Alicia rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2012
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Kristine (fezabel)
Kristine (fezabel) rated it liked it
May 04, 2009
Melinda Smith
Melinda Smith rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2012
4 Starr Kids
4 Starr Kids rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Sally Strong
Sally Strong rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Cathy Houston
Cathy Houston rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
  • Cherry Ames, Night Supervisor
  • Sue Barton, Student Nurse (Sue Barton, #1)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Big Adventure at Home (The Bobbsey Twins #8)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)
  • Beany Malone
  • The Vanishing Shadow (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #1)
  • The Mitchells: Five for Victory
  • Carney's House Party/Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #1 & #3)
  • Gangsters at the Grand Atlantic (American Girl History Mysteries, #20)
  • Tom Swift and His Airship (Tom Swift Sr, #3)
Original name: Helen Weinstock. Social worker turned full-time young adult writer, born in Illinois but moved with family to New York City when she was seven. In 1934 Wells graduated from New York University [where she'd been the first female editor of the literary quarterly], with a major in philosophy and a minor in sociology and psychology.

During World War II, she served as a volunteer with th
More about Helen Wells...

Cherry Ames (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Cherry Ames, Student Nurse (Cherry Ames, #1)
  • Cherry Ames, Senior Nurse (Cherry Ames, #2)
  • Cherry Ames, Army Nurse (Cherry Ames, #3)
  • Cherry Ames, Flight Nurse (Cherry Ames, #5)
  • Cherry Ames, Veterans' Nurse (Cherry Ames, #6)
  • Cherry Ames, Private Duty Nurse (Cherry Ames, #7)
  • Cherry Ames, Visiting Nurse (Cherry Ames, #8)
  • Cherry Ames, Cruise Nurse (Cherry Ames, #9)
  • Cherry Ames At Spencer