Start by marking “A Maze Me: Poems for Girls” as Want to Read:
A Maze Me: Poems for Girls

A Maze Me: Poems for Girls

A collection of seventy-two poems written especially for girls ages twelve and up by the much-honored and beloved poet Naomi Shihab Nye. "A lovely, rich collection that promises to be a lasting companion for young writers."—School Library Journal (starred review)

First love, friendship, school, family, community, having a crush, loving your mother and hating your mother, se
Published March 15th 2005 by Greenwillow Books (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Maze Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Maze Me

HeavyReader
Jun 14, 2008 HeavyReader rated it it was ok
I picked up this book when I was searching through the young adult section at the library, looking for books about teaching poetry to teens. I was attracted to this book because of the "poems for girls" part of the title.

I liked some of the parts of these poems a whole lot, but I wasn't too excited about very many complete poems, and the whole collection left me feeling let down.

I like the following line from "Ringing:" "I want to be someone making music/with my coming." I also like the very sho
Susan
May 07, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
page. 25...poem Every Day

My hundred year old next door neighbor told me:
every day is a good day if you have it.
I had to think about that a minute.
She said, Every day is a present
someone left at your birthday place at the table.
Trust me! It may not feel like that
but it's true. When you're my age
you'll know. Twelve is a treasure.
And it's up to you
to unwrap the package gently,
lift out the gleaming hours
wrapped in tissue,
don't miss the bottom of the box.

I generally really like her work, initially sk
Debbie Reiber
Feb 04, 2013 Debbie Reiber rated it liked it

A Maze Me: Poems for Girls by Naomi Shihab Nye is a book of poetry. It was a Lee Bennett Hopkins Poetry Honor Book in 2006. The age group this book is intended for is intermediate to advance. This book has an assortment of poems. Some poems are about family, friends, places, animals, boys, and pretty much life.
I enjoyed about seventy-five percent of the poems. I wasn’t completely captured by all of her poems. It felt like the rhythm wasn’t there or they just didn’t interest me, but I did find an
Pia Mogollon
Sep 09, 2016 Pia Mogollon rated it liked it
An easy quick read, while i really enjoyed many of the poems some felt forced and tedious. When they worked they were delightful pictures made of metaphor when they didn't they were like a yawn you can't quite release.
Dayna
May 19, 2010 Dayna rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, poetry
I love the poem about the vegetable truck and the ice cream truck and bringing music to remote streets. A great poetic manifesto :)
Richie Partington
Jul 15, 2013 Richie Partington rated it it was amazing
09 October 2004 A MAZE ME: POEMS FOR GIRLS by Naomi Shihab Nye, HarperCollins/Greenwillow, March 2005, 128 pages, ISBN: 0-06-058189-1, Lib.ISBN: 0-06-058190-5

"Ringing

A baby, I stood in my crib to hear
the dingy-ding of a vegetable truck approaching.

When I was bigger, my mom took me out
to the street
to meet the man who rang the bell and
he tossed me
a tangerine...

...the first thing I ever caught. I thought
he was
a magic man.

My mom said there used to be milk trucks too.
She said,
Look hard, he'll be
Caitlin
Nov 14, 2012 Caitlin rated it it was ok
A Maze Me: Poems for Girls, by Naomi Shihab Nye. (Greenwillow, 2005) 115 p. Poetry.

Summary: Nye writes a collection of poems reflecting on her time of adolescence, a time when she describes wanting to be amazed forever (p.4). Her poems describe her world of school, babysitting, crushes, and dreams, filtered through her perspective at the time.

Critique: a) Winding throughout these poems is the constant theme of disappointment at having the leave certain childish things behind. Nye refers back to
Angie
Nov 05, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I heard her speak at a kid lit conference a couple weeks ago. Wow. I wish I could put words together so beautifully! Here are four of my favorites. I need to find more of her books. I'm not even usually a poetry reader.

Every Day
My hundred-year-old next-door neighbor told me:
every day is a good day if you have it.
I had to think about that a minute.
She said, Every day is a present
someone left at your birthday place at the table.
Trust me! It may not feel like that
but it's true. When you're my age
yo
Kesha
Apr 13, 2012 Kesha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I found the poems in the third section of the book thoughtful and well crafted. The content and structure of the poems were poignant. In "Sifter", I love how the teacher's assignment of descriptive paragraphs is described as an invitation. I feel like I am inviting my students to complete fun, educational tasks all of the time. Near the end of the poem, good days are compared to flour in a sifter that you are trying to make go as slow as possible and hold on to; what a beautiful metaphor.

In "Bec
L12_sarah
Mar 04, 2012 L12_sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
The title of this book seems like a bit of a misnomer. Although the beginning of the book is exactly what you would expect from a book with this title--poems about playing with boys, crushes, a girl's relationship with her mother, worrying about the mortality of one's parents, school, neighborhood hijinks, and poetry--the latter half of the book goes on a nature binge and seems to diverge from the book's original purpose.

Some poems in this collection were very poignant (Visiting My Old Kinderga
Jessica
Feb 14, 2017 Jessica rated it really liked it
This is just a really beautiful book. Four [probably 4.5 if halves were an option] stars only because there was that occasional poem that didn't quite sit as well. But perhaps that's a matter of taste.
Nancy O'Toole
A Maze Me is a collection of poetry by Arab-American poet, Naomi Shihab Nye. The focus of this collection is the poet's reflections of herself as a young girl facing the concept of adolescence. In an introduction, she explains that when she was eleven, she did not want to grow up, and was happy staying where she was. She often wrote her reflections in a notebook to help her cope. The poetry covers a large variety of content, ranging from simple observations, to her opinions on topics such as pea ...more
Liz Strode
AWARDS AND HONORS: ALA Notable Book

This is a collection of poems for girls. It is different than many of Naomi's other poetry collections as the voice and intended audience seem to be much younger than collections such as 19 Varieties of Gazelle or Honeybee. Despite the younger voice, we still experience many of the same themes and topics that comprise Naomi's work. The ordinary things such as ribbons and watermelon trucks connect the reader to the material world. The poems also speak about natu
Ashley Green
Dec 05, 2014 Ashley Green rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Nye's book of poetry explores female adolescence chronologically in an artistic, moving way. Her work is totally inspiration in the way that she recalls her experience as a girl in ways that are out of reach for many. Because of this, her ability to connect is largely unparalleled. She discusses family, friends, identity, and aspirations in highly evocative ways. This book is a great read for anyone that is growing up (i.e. everyone), boys and girls alike. Perhaps it is "poems for girls" because ...more
AnandaTashie
Dec 30, 2013 AnandaTashie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2014
Enjoyed. Especially liked the intro as well as these:

From Where Are You? p 21, "In your bones / in your memory / trust me // I'm tucked inside each fresh paper page / you'll write on. / Each hour you don't see me, I'm still there. / How many things add up the same? / Your life, my life, / the bucket, the sea."

From Secret p 33, "I'm a choosy hummingbird // All day I dip and dive // twice as alive // as yesterday."

From Abandoned Homestead, Big Bend National Park p 82, "The walls tipped in soon aft
Chris
Dec 08, 2010 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, ya
Nye, Naomi Shihab. A Maze Me (2005)
A Maze Me, Poems for Girls is full of thoughtful, sad and funny poems about the everyday things of school, family and life in general for a young girl. The poems are easy to read and relate to. For me, the most interesting part of the book was the introduction where the author confessed her reluctance to leave her childhood behind because the world of adults seemed just too grim. She wanted to be “amazed forever” at all the little wonders of the world, and in t
Melissa
Sep 14, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I felt more strongly connected to some of her other works, but this one was pretty good. It was a great read to wile away my reference desk hours today :-)

I do love her imagery - she writes what she sees, and then by reading I can see it too. A good one from this collection:

"On the Same Day My Parents Were Arguing"

Down by the quiet little river
between the old missions,
white cranes stand listening.

It is hard to tell if they are awake.

Their elegant necks barely turn
as another crane floats low
among
Becca
Feb 03, 2017 Becca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This is a book I'll definitely buy at some point because I want to have it around to re-read as my girls grow. It was the perfect book to read on a gloomy winter day in Texas. I enjoyed the nods to this great state as well as the variety in poetry style. A favorite couple of lines: "Keep your bad news, world. Dream of something better." Ellipse, Little Chair, Some Days, Every Day... oh, I loved about all of them!
Emma Hakaj
Dec 06, 2016 Emma Hakaj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book called "A Maze Me: Poems for Girls" by Naomi Shihab Nye is such a nice book! The book is about poems that help girls with their problems. Like an example like being perfect, or even people expecting you to be perfect. Like when it talks about how you aren't good enough and people judge stuff about you. My favorite part in this book is when Naomi Shihab Nye writes about all of your insecurities and how you worry about them. I recommend this book to boys and not just girls because boys ca ...more
Allie Waugh
Jan 11, 2013 Allie Waugh rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I really enjoy Nye's poetry. I would love to give this a 3.5 star because a three doesn't do it justice. Overall a wonderful collection but I am not sure how it pertains to girls specifically. I had a difficult time following the theme throught the collection, but I am inexperienced at reading poetry collections. She had multiple poems that I fell in love with, such as, "In the School Cafeteria" and "Because of Poems." I did like that the poems were little snippets of life's encounters. A book I ...more
Emily
Nov 01, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, poetry
This book is a must-read for girls and young women. Nye's content is delightful, thought-provoking, and real; I identified with a lot of the feelings she expressed and evoked. The rhyme and rhythms are beautiful; I particularly liked some of the internal rhyming and frequent assonance (repeated vowel sounds). This is going on my wishlist of books to own, because I think it should be shared among friends and should be reread. Important note: be sure to read the poems OUT LOUD.
Shelby Wise
Sep 30, 2015 Shelby Wise rated it did not like it
A Maze Me is an okay book if you like girly poetry. Most of the poems are short, and easy to read. It's very emotional, and full of pretty drawings that match each poem, anyone can read it, all though some words are complicated and some of the poems are confusing. The drawings are artistic and I love how they match the poems. It was an okay book but poetry confuses me, otherwise I would like it more.
Mayli Corona
The book,''A Maze Me'' by Shihab Nye is a very good book with poems. These poems are inspirable to me and are very funny,nice,sweet,calm and from the heart. I really enjoyed this book and siting all the new poems that I thought were really good. I recomend this book to people (not just girls but also boys) that like poems that are soothing and really great and want to have a good time reading all the ppoems.
Donna Wynn
Nov 23, 2012 Donna Wynn rated it it was amazing
I checked this book out at my public library this summer and although it was truly written for younger girls, her words spoke right through to me! I purchased it after my library time was complete and I refer to it over and over again. It is a beautiful addition to my poetry library! You will not be disappointed!
Robyn
Apr 22, 2009 Robyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, poetry
Not as good as her Honeybee poems. There was some that were good.

If the Shoe Doesn't Fit
you take it off
of course you take it off
it doesn't worry you
it isn't your shoe

I giggle everytime I read that poem. It's so true.

'My whole job was looking around.' The author describing her early childhood.
Ron
Dec 21, 2016 Ron rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, poetry
Short book, quick read of poetry....my favorites:
p 66 The List - about reading a specific list of books and not for pleasure
p 80 Baby-siting Should Not be Called - about how you don't sit while baby-sitting
p 92 The Word PEACE - interesting poem on peace
p108 - Across the Aisle - traveling near a sick kid on a plane
Laura-marie
Dec 27, 2008 Laura-marie rated it it was amazing
I got this book of poems from my parents for Christmas, and I read it all day and finished it. I plan to reread it right away to note which poems are my favorites and maybe share some with friends. I love Naomi Shihab Nye for her unpretentiousness and simple clarity. This is really good reading for anyone, not just girls.
Maui
Oct 12, 2015 Maui rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, poetry
I don't know if it's just me or it's just that this kind of poetry is not really for me yet?
I am more of a heavy dramatic kind of poetryr reader rather than the child(ish) kind. I don't quite understand some of the piece but I think the author owns a vast imagination that even I can't comprehend at some part.
Chezon
Aug 12, 2010 Chezon rated it it was ok
I wanted so badly to like this book but I just didn't. The poems are mediocre and I just kept thinking if this was a young girl's first introduction to poetry, she may not grow to love the artform & that's a crime in my mind.
Stefanie Carlson cole
Aug 05, 2013 Stefanie Carlson cole rated it it was amazing
Loved her insights into life. Introduction is perfect for a mini-lesson on writer's notebooks or a Penny Kittle-like memoir mentor text. Many poems would be good for Close Reading & Quick Write Imitations. Some of my favourites are What Travel Does, The List, Sifter & Ellipse!
  • Blue Lipstick: Concrete Poems
  • Knock at a Star: A Child's Introduction to Poetry
  • A Kick in the Head: An Everyday Guide to Poetic Forms
  • The Negro Speaks of Rivers
  • Red Hot Salsa: Bilingual Poems on Being Young and Latino in the United States
  • Comets, Stars, the Moon, and Mars: Space Poems and Paintings
  • Tap Dancing on the Roof: Sijo (Poems)
  • Falling Hard: 100 Love Poems by Teenagers
  • Poetry Speaks Who I Am with CD: Poems of Discovery, Inspiration, Independence, and Everything Else (A Poetry Speaks Experience)
  • Partly Cloudy: Poems of Love and Longing
  • This Is Just to Say: Poems of Apology and Forgiveness
  • Amazing Faces
  • National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry: 200 Poems with Photographs That Squeak, Soar, and Roar!
  • GUYKU: A Year of Haiku for Boys
  • Heart to Heart : New Poems Inspired by Twentieth-Century American Art
  • God Went to Beauty School
  • The Way a Door Closes
  • The Arrow Finds Its Mark: A Book of Found Poems
Naomi Shihab Nye was born to a Palestinian father and an American mother. During her high school years, she lived in Ramallah in Jordan, the Old City in Jerusalem, and San Antonio, Texas, where she later received her B.A. in English and world religions from Trinity University. She is a novelist, poet and songwriter.

She currently lives in San Antonio, Texas. She was elected a Chancellor of the Acad
More about Naomi Shihab Nye...

“I want to be someone making music/with my coming.” 13 likes