Start by marking “Paper Rose” as Want to Read:
Paper Rose

Paper Rose (Hutton & Co. #2)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,307 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Archaeologist Cecily Petersen has loved Tate Winthrop since she was a teen, but the handsome Native American refuses to consider a mixed marriage. Instead, he becomes her white knight, protecting her from an abusive stepfather and arranging college grants and housing. But when Cecily discovers that the "grants" were actually outright gifts from Tate, she's furious. Her ang ...more
Published August 1st 2004 by Harlequin Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Paper Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paper Rose

Leona
Apr 03, 2014 Leona rated it it was ok
Shelves: hqn-presents
Too long, too boring in spots, too dysfunctional. Most importantly, I was offended by the racism that just screeched throughout the book. Not my cuppa at all.
Jenny
Mar 17, 2014 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Cecily has loved Tate since she was 17 but he doesn't want a relationship with her cause he is her guardian and cause she is a white woman and he is not. Tate and Cecily are a great couple. He is sexy, brooding and fiercely protective of Celicy. Celicy is innocent, super sweet but also very strong. She is fierce to the point of making a new life for herself and her unborn baby far away from Tate. She really made him grovel and suffer to win her heart back. A wonderful love story!
jenjn79
Kaycee Sapinoso
Jan 09, 2015 Kaycee Sapinoso rated it really liked it
I always enjoyed reading Ms. Palmer's books. And Paper Rose was no exception. I can't explain how much I adored Tate maybe because I'm not sure why. He is rather cold and obnoxious to Cecily for much of the story. But although he was being cold towards her it was very obvious what he feels for her even in the beginning. He was fighting a losing battle in ignoring his feelings. And when they gave in to their desire... it was hot! Boy, this apache man know his way around the bedroom. Then he grove ...more
Amanda Sheila
Nov 02, 2013 Amanda Sheila rated it really liked it
I loved it! Not giving it five stars though, mostly because Tate's kind of pissed me off and Cecily's way too meek. But overall, this book is very enjoyable. Very Diana Palmer and very angsty too. Definitely my favorite.

I'm in love. You guys should read it. Seriously.
Andrea Hussey
May 29, 2012 Andrea Hussey rated it it was ok
**plot spoilers**
This is the best book of Diana Palmers, which isn’t saying much, because I really don’t like her style at all. They’re abusive men—they don’t hit the character, it’s all verbal, but they might as well bash her upside the head with a 2 by 4 with the things they’re saying to her.

There are several things I liked about the book but they didn’t really stand up to the things that sucked about it.

I liked Tate’s heritage and the tribal dances he did when he went back home, but of course
Aayesha Khatri
Dec 12, 2014 Aayesha Khatri rated it did not like it
Review to come.
Julie Lonewolf (Jael's Reviews)
Cecily Petersen fell in love with Native American Tate Winthrop at the tender age of 17. But Tate only saw her as a pesky little sister figure. After the death of her mother as a minor, Cecily had to continue living with her only relative, an abusive step-father, and she hated every second of it. That is, until one day, while delivering feed to Tate at his ranch, he sees bruises on her chest and demands to know what happened. After Tate is told about the abuse, he moves Cecily in with his mother ...more
Brittany Mcklane
Jun 27, 2012 Brittany Mcklane rated it it was amazing
This is the book that started my fascination with Diana Palmer. Her Stories are beautifully written and well plotted. The main characters were amazing and well constructed. Much Love <3
Nanee Mcgee
Jan 19, 2014 Nanee Mcgee rated it really liked it
I love almost all of Diana Palmer's books and this one was really good. I love Cecily and Tate. Sexy as hell Tate, Native American, a secret operative...wow..did I say sexy! Cecily is a naive, sweet girl who wears her heart on her sleeve when it comes to Tate. Love them together, their love making was sweet and sexy. This book reminds me a lot of Diamond Spur with how the relationship progressed and the differences in the characters lives and the naivety in the women characters. Love Leta Tate's ...more
Kalu Sakura
Aug 23, 2014 Kalu Sakura rated it it was amazing
While most people only saw the "racism" part I think it's more important to say that it reflected an era, Cecily has always loved Tate and in a big part it's because who he is and what he did for her, and he starts to fall in love due to the differences they know and lived in. I still think that in most countries, in some specific cultures, you are still forced by tradition to marry someone from your same culture and not an outsider, I think Diana Palmer gives us an example that even with those ...more
M W
Mar 12, 2015 M W rated it really liked it
It's your typical Palmer hero in love with the younger heroine. At least this time, there's only a 10 year age difference. Tate, a pure blooded Lakota (former fed/mercenary now head of security for an international company) denies his love for Cecily, a young Anglo woman. He knows that she's loved him since she was 17 when he saved her from her abusive stepfather. Since she's under his protection, he feels that he'd be taking advantage of her so he tells her that he'd only marry a pure blooded L ...more
Heather
Toni-jay
Aug 01, 2013 Toni-jay rated it did not like it
Let's just keep this short and spicy. This is some real melodramatic bullshxt. There are so many gaps in the story line it makes absolutely no sense. We have a sexually deprived,emotionally unstable woman and this insensitive alpha male.Good try Ms.Palmer for attempting to tell the plight of the Native Americans. However instead of telling the story fluidly while injecting aspects of the culture of the people-there were just random bursts of information placed here and there. Especially when Ce ...more
Manuela
Feb 24, 2011 Manuela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Marianne
Oct 05, 2014 Marianne rated it really liked it
Palmer books sizzle! The story goes from a South Dakota Reservation to the halls of Washington DC senate politics. Lots of secrets. All is revealed.
Tonya Lucas
Jun 01, 2014 Tonya Lucas rated it liked it
Only read part of the book. Couldn't finish it, huge disappointment. Too slow and to much repeating.
Spinneretta
Feb 01, 2015 Spinneretta rated it really liked it
The sequel to Once in Paris. Another delightful Diana Palmer story.
Consuela Rossetto
Bello ... bello ... bello.... assolutamente consigliato
Tammy Pickens
Mar 09, 2015 Tammy Pickens rated it really liked it
I read this in 1 day. Great Diana Palmer book.
Kenderly
Loved this book ! I have read it over and over .
Meghan
Jun 15, 2014 Meghan rated it really liked it
one of my favorite romance novels.
Bookwormgirl
Jan 10, 2011 Bookwormgirl rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I think that this story is like chocolate. It was bitter sweet and filled with over the top alpha males, too innocent girl/woman,and a story straight out of the soaps. I give it three stars because of the portrayals of the native American characters in her book. They came across as very stereotypical portrayals by white women authors. Diana Palmer excels in writing about alpha males and her character fits the mold perfectly.

This is a light read that will indulge your romance streak just like cho
Vickie Richter
Jun 04, 2015 Vickie Richter rated it it was amazing
Loved this story!
Jenny
Apr 30, 2010 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This one of my favorite Diana Palmer books. Although you are introduced to the main character, Cecily, when she's only 17 during most of the book she's 25+. Sometimes Diana Palmer makes her main characters too young. I think 25+ is a good age. The male main character is Native American. I have a soft spot for Native Americans...especially male ones.
Irene
Jul 03, 2015 Irene rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the read of Native American culture and love story.
Noemi Escamilla
Aug 29, 2011 Noemi Escamilla rated it it was amazing
Main Characters: Tate Winthrop and Cecily Peterson

Note 1: Connection to Jacobsville via Micah Steele (The Last Mercenary)
Note 2: Connection to Pierce Hutton from Once in Paris
Note 3: Connection to Colby Lane from Outsider
Angelica Stevenson
Jan 25, 2013 Angelica Stevenson rated it it was amazing
In 2005-2007 I read so many of Diana Palmer's books. My ex's mom had a lot and that got me hooked. She is an excellent author and I just enjoyed them. Especially the rancher, texas, farmer themes plots and stuff.
Tukang Kueh Keren
Meski agak terseok-seok, tamat juga....hehehe.

Yah...tipikal bukunya DP, lelakinya selalu menyebalkan, dengan bonus wanita gemerlap yang bikin si wanita sejati merasa tersisihkan *hah....review macam apa ini*
Suziep11
Jun 23, 2010 Suziep11 rated it really liked it
This is a contemporary novel about a half breed Indian and his ward. It is somewhat suspenseful with a good story line. The main characters are Cecily and Tate.
4.6 on a 5.0 scale.
  • Texas Woman (Sisters of the Lone Star, #3)
  • Hidden Love
  • With a Southern Touch: Adam/A Night in Paradise/Garden Cop
  • The Winter Bride (Harlequin Presents, #1989)
  • Love's Legacy
  • No Other Man (No Other, #1)
  • The Blackmail Baby
  • The Salvatore Marriage (Foreign Affairs)
  • Corbin's Fancy (Corbins, #2)
  • The Greek Tycoon's Love-Child
  • Coming Up Roses
  • Dreamcatcher
  • Waking Up
  • The Mating Season (Kansas, Americana, #16)
  • Savage Thunder (Savage, #15)

Diana Palmer is a pseudonym for author Susan Kyle.

(1)romance author
Susan Eloise Spaeth was born on 11 December 1946 in Cuthbert, Georgia, USA. She was the eldest daughter of Maggie Eloise Cliatt, a nurse and also journalist, and William Olin Spaeth, a college professor. Her mother was part of the women's libera
More about Diana Palmer...

Hutton & Co. (5 books)
  • Once In Paris
  • Lord of the Desert
  • The Texas Ranger
  • Desperado

“Bring Cecily home,” he said curtly. “I won’t have her at risk, even in the slightest way.”
“I’ll take care of Cecily,” came the terse reply. “She’s better off without you in her life.”
Tate’s eyes widened. “I beg your pardon?” he asked, affronted.
“You know what I mean,” Holden said. “Let her heal. She’s too young to consign herself to spinsterhood over a man who doesn’t even see her.”
“Infatuation dies,” Tate said.
Holden nodded. “Yes, it does. Goodbye.”
“So does hero worship,” he continued, laboring the point.
“And that’s why after eight years, Cecily has had one raging affair after the other,” he said facetiously.
The words had power. They wounded.
“You fool,” Holden said in a soft tone. “Do you really think she’d let any man touch her except you?” He went to his office door and gestured toward the desk. “Don’t forget your gadget,” he added quietly.
“Wait!”
Holden paused with his hand on the doorknob and turned. “What?”
Tate held the device in his hands, watching the lights flicker on it. “Mixing two cultures when one of them is all but extinct is a selfish thing,” he said after a minute. “It has nothing to do with personal feelings. It’s a matter of necessity.”
Holden let go of the doorknob and moved to stand directly in front of Tate. “If I had a son,” he said, almost choking on the word, “I’d tell him that there are things even more important than lofty principles. I’d tell him…that love is a rare and precious thing, and that substitutes are notoriously unfulfilling.”
Tate searched the older man’s eyes. “You’re a fine one to talk.”
Holden’s face fell. “Yes, that’s true.” He turned away.
Why should he feel guilty? But he did. “I didn’t mean to say that,” Tate said, irritated by his remorse and the other man’s defeated posture. “I can’t help the way I feel about my culture.”
“If it weren’t for the cultural difference, how would you feel about Cecily?”
Tate hesitated. “It wouldn’t change anything. She’s been my responsibility. I’ve taken care of her. It would be gratitude on her part, even a little hero worship, nothing more. I couldn’t take advantage of that. Besides, she’s involved with Colby.”
“And you couldn’t live with being the second man.”
Tate’s face hardened. His eyes flashed.
Holden shook his head. “You’re just brimming over with excuses, aren’t you? It isn’t the race thing, it isn’t the culture thing, it isn’t even the guardian-ward thing. You’re afraid.”
Tate’s mouth made a thin line. He didn’t reply.
“When you love someone, you give up control of yourself,” he continued quietly. “You have to consider the other person’s needs, wants, fears. What you do affects the other person. There’s a certain loss of freedom as well.” He moved a step closer. “The point I’m making is that Cecily already fills that place in your life. You’re still protecting her, and it doesn’t matter that there’s another man. Because you can’t stop looking out for her. Everything you said in this office proves that.” He searched Tate’s turbulent eyes. “You don’t like Colby Lane, and it isn’t because you think Cecily’s involved with him. It’s because he’s been tied to one woman so tight that he can’t struggle free of his love for her, even after years of divorce. That’s how you feel, isn’t it, Tate? You can’t get free of Cecily, either. But Colby’s always around and she indulges him. She might marry him in an act of desperation. And then what will you do? Will your noble excuses matter a damn then?”
5 likes
“What’s he doing here?”
“I asked him to come. I needed someone who wasn’t known on the reservation to pose as a…as a gambler and ask some questions. Why are you wearing your hair down?”
“Never mind my hair. Why a gambler?”
“Senator Holden was right about the gambling syndicate trying to move in here, I think. Tom Black Knife knows a lot about it, and he’s scared. I can’t speak Lakota, but I can read faces. Tom told Colby the whole story in Lakota.”
“That’s what you were trying to get out of Colby.”
She nodded.
He looked at her in a way he never had before. “You asked him for help instead of me.”
She lowered her eyes to her lap uncharacteristically. “Yes. I did.”
He didn’t say anything for a minute. He slid closer to her. His hands went up into the thick braid of her hair and began to unfasten it.
“Tate…!” she exclaimed, shocked and resisting.
“Don’t fight me.” He unwound the braid and took out the pins, letting her long, silky hair fall to below her waist, all around her face. He reached for her glasses and took them off, placing them beside his dark ones on the table.
He got up from the sofa, still staring down at her, and went to close and lock the front door. As an afterthought, he put on the chain latch.
“How long will my mother be away?” he asked.
She could hardly speak. Her heart was beating her to death. “She only left a few minutes ago. She’s having lunch with her group.”
He nodded and his eyes never left hers. “Colby won’t be back for a while, either.”
He moved toward her with an intent that even a blind virgin would have recognized. She got to her feet and tried to back away, but he pulled her to him gently and held her there.
“Cold feet, Cecily,” he asked at her lips. “Or genuine fear?”
“I…don’t know.” She rested her clammy, nervous hands on his chest.
He tilted her chin up so that he could see her eyes. “I would never try to force you,” he said solemnly. “Not in any way.”
Her breathing eased, but just a little. She dropped her eyes and stared at the top button of his shirt. A long strand of his black hair almost covered the pocket. She reached up and touched it, savoring its coolness.
He hadn’t moved. Her posture, her skittishness, was giving away secrets. “You’re afraid of me.”
She had to wait until she could get words past her dry throat. “No. Of course I’m not.”
His hand went hesitantly to her own loosened hair, weaving through it. He stared over her head, breathing deliberately, aware of her warmth against him, the soft, excited sigh of her breath at his throat.
“Why did you tell me Colby had had you?” he asked tightly.
“Now, listen here…!” she began heatedly.
He put a long, lean finger over her lips and met her angry gaze. “I beat the hell out of him over it. Did he tell you?”
“Not over me, you didn’t,” she said. “I’m not that important to you.”
He laughed curtly. “You have no idea.”
“How’s Audrey?” she asked deliberately.
“How would I know?” He caught the thick hair on both sides of her neck and used it to lever her face up to his. “I haven’t seen her lately. And I’ve never slept with her.”
“That’s a nice fairy tale,” she bit off.
“I mean it.”
“You never go around with anyone else,” she said.
“Have you ever taken a good look at her?” he asked quietly. “She’s slight. Blond. Light-eyed.”
He was telling her something she couldn’t believe. She lifted her eyes to his dark, intent ones.
“I thought I could have you,” he said in a haunted tone. “I’ve dreamed about it, ached for it, since I kissed you. I came all the way out here bristling with sexual tension, so jealous of Colby Lane that I could have used him as a brush broom. But even so, if he’d had you, you wouldn’t still be innocent. I could have had you, without complications, without…guilt.” He sighed harshly and let her go. He moved away to the window and stood looking out it. “I must have been out of my mind.”
5 likes