Start by marking “Italian Witchcraft: The Old Religion of Southern Europe” as Want to Read:
Italian Witchcraft: The Old Religion of Southern Europe

Italian Witchcraft: The Old Religion of Southern Europe

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  254 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
"Italian Witchcraft "(previously titled "Ways of the Strega)" by respected author Raven Grimassi is more than just a book about Witchcraft. It is a complete Book of Shadows. In it you will find the history of this ancient tradition, its legends and myths, as well as the rituals and rites that you can do today. You can be a Strega!
The book includes a full set of rituals th
Published February 8th 2000 by Llewellyn Publications (first published February 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Italian Witchcraft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Italian Witchcraft

Steve Cran
When the word witch craft is mentioned most people assicate it with Celtic symbols and Northern European Culture. Raven Grimassi does research which clearly shows that many of the motifs present in modern day witchcraft were present in the the old religion of Southern Europe. Many of these motifs found their way into North European witchcraft via the Roman occupation of Europe. The pentagram was present in the old southern religion which predates North European witch craft.

Two great occultists s
Hope
Oct 09, 2008 Hope rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This book is awful.

I'm willing to give the author the benefit of the doubt. I'm willing to believe that he just doesn't see the logical fallacies he's presenting as facts, and that he just doesn't actually know how to do good historical research, nor how to compile good research into a sensible book.

Frankly, the pseudoacademic nonsense in this book would get a high-school student in trouble.

Raven clearly wants to prove that his 'tradition' of Italian Witchcraft is an unbroken line back to anc
Angie
Dec 31, 2008 Angie rated it it was ok
Let it be known that I am hard to win over by books that spell Magic as Magick. Adding the K does not make your practices more oldschool. I'm sorry, but that spelling really only feeds the fluff bunnies. And in the end, the goal of the historical portion of this book is to place Stregharian Witchcraft into the oldest realms of religious practice as possible. Grimassi spends the first hundred pages pushing and pushing and pushing his beliefs into the neolithic period--and unconvincingly so at bes ...more
Hope
Jun 21, 2010 Hope rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just read this book. There were no mention of the saints and of the Catholic church? And there are no covens, all real strega practice solitary or within the family, there are this does have some similarities to wicca but look who wrote it. All in all it was a good read but not accurate. It is passed down fron Aunt to niece or nephew or grandmother to granddaughter or grandson.
Sandra
Jun 12, 2015 Sandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-craft
Very interesting read. learning about the history and culture it comes from was very helpful in understanding the traditions we all sometimes enjoy without knowing their origins. I don't see myself practicing the craft, but I do find it fascinating. I skipped the part with all the spells, rituals and incantations, just scanned through them. I think everyone's idea of magic and witchcraft is different and just like all things there will be good and bad people, and good and bad information, you ju ...more
Isabelle Lacerda
Oct 11, 2013 Isabelle Lacerda rated it liked it
Well it isn't totally bad but I was expecting more from his theory that italian witchcraft has survived because of its descendents.
The history of Aradia though,was very interesting as well as how to change patterns and avoid destiny or fate and such.
I haven't read much on this topic though so I can't really state if it is original or if the author simply had a better source.
I also enjoyed the explanations about the Church twisting the facts agains the witches.But once again,has another author pr
Jan 20, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
Actually haven't read it from beginning to end just yet, bought it as historical reference from time to time. Images of wary Old Country babushkas scuttling to and fro in the mountains impossible to resist. Wish there were more historical references in the book, less know-hows for the novice pagan.
Lalena
Jun 01, 2008 Lalena rated it liked it
Very interesting and well researched. Half of the book is a workbook for folks interested in practicing Italian style witchcraft. But I think the rituals described are interesting to anyone with natural curiosity about religious practices other than their own.
Louis Pompanio
Mar 25, 2012 Louis Pompanio rated it really liked it
Images have stayed with me. I have some southern European roots, and it was nice to learn about the cult of Diana, the cimaruta. Wonderful information about spirits of the wind. I'm a sucker for naughty woodland entities.
Lisa James
Mar 06, 2011 Lisa James rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one. The roots of Italian stregheria & the roots of Celtic teachings have a lot in common, & most likely have the same common root.
Patricia
Oct 03, 2014 Patricia rated it did not like it
Shelves: spirituality
A great deal of hokem if you ask me and nothing I haven't read in 20 other beginner books on Wicca and magick.
Elizabeth
Aug 05, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Fascinating information about beliefs, powers, rituals, seasons, magick and so much more. So interesting!
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
John Ilao
John Ilao marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Albus
Albus marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Charlotte Fraser
Charlotte Fraser marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Elizabeth Tyler
Elizabeth Tyler marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Sherry
Sherry rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Kristofer Slaughter
Kristofer Slaughter marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Piruza Petrosyan
Piruza Petrosyan marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Gianna
Gianna marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Sarah Keller
Sarah Keller marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Andressa Chung
Andressa Chung marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Ronald
Ronald added it
Mar 27, 2016
Deja
Deja is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2016
John Paradiso
John Paradiso rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Mary Schatke
Mary Schatke rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2016
  • Aradia: Gospel of the Witches
  • Advanced Candle Magick: More Spells and Rituals for Every Purpose
  • Handfasting and Wedding Rituals: Welcoming Hera's Blessing
  • The Outer Temple of Witchcraft: Circles, Spells, and Rituals (Temple of Witchcraft, #2)
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • The Way of the Hedge Witch: Rituals and Spells for Hearth and Home