Start by marking “1000 Record Covers” as Want to Read:
1000 Record Covers

1000 Record Covers

A fascinating survey of cover art (TASCHEN's 25th anniversary special edition) Record covers are a sign of our life and times. Like the music on the discs, they address such issues as love, life, death, fashion, and rebellion. For music fans the covers are the expression of a period, of a particular time in their lives. Many are works of art and have become as famous as th ...more
Published May 15th 2005 by Taschen (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about 1000 Record Covers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1000 Record Covers

Hiland
Oct 23, 2007 Hiland rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: dads who think they're hip.
Ok. I sorta have a unique perspective on this book. When I first moved to Los Angeles, the first job I got was at the famous and now deceased Rhino Records store in westwood. My first job literally for the first month was sitting in a room with this one other guy and going through and pricing the entire Michael Ochs collection. Thats right. After making this book, Michael Ochs sold his entire record collection. I think it was around 300,000-500,000 records. And let me tell you, this book in no w ...more
Paul Bryant
Nov 25, 2007 Paul Bryant rated it really liked it
Some people say this is just a bunch of small photos of album sleeves slapped together with minimal thought and little point except to encourage the drools of the nostalgically excitable.

But I demur. Although I do see the funny irony in celebrating the art of the LP sleeve by reducing the reproductions to about a quarter of the size of a cd cover.

Still, I would never have seen all these sleeves gathered in one place myself, so yeah.

Mr Ochs is a man of few words. 99% of these sleeves are present
Lavinia
Apr 11, 2010 Lavinia rated it liked it
Shelves: art, 2010, in-en
Impressive collection, although I understand Ochs sold his albums after 'writing' the book. It covers about 3 decades and a half, from the 60's to mid 90's. Musically speaking, I wish I had seen more of my fav artists, but anyway, being a rock and roll addict (Ochs, obviously), most of them are in there.

The covers are as they are: original, unoriginal, kitschy, artsy, stunning etc.; a little bit of everything. Sometimes artists themselves got involved in creating them (hurray for Bob Dylan, Jon
Shawn McBride
Jul 15, 2012 Shawn McBride rated it it was amazing
for trivia buffs out there, i wrote a book called green grass grace whose one character had a record collection i culled straight from this amazing book.
Jon
Dec 27, 2014 Jon rated it liked it
This is an intriguing slice of history, one shaped by Ochs' peculiar taste. This isn't a greatest hits book, featuring the best album art out there. This isn't even Ochs' personal favorite covers, which would say more about Ochs than it would about rock and roll. Bits of both those categories are in here, but with attention to artistic trends in covers, as well as covers that stand apart in their shock or just weirdness. So the book then becomes a bit weird. Also, it's not in any kind of order. ...more
Steve
Dec 14, 2008 Steve rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: record cover art fans
An absolutely cool book to flip through while cranking tunes on a Saturday afternoon. Many years ago, back when cds were taking over LPs as the new music medium, I was stupid enough to give my record collection to a friend. I had pretty much replaced everything that I thought essential, with either cds or cassettes. At the time I never even thought about the record cover art. (What I lost, for example, was the super cover of Dylan's awful Knocked Out Loaded, as well as my parent's scratched up M ...more
Phil Brett
Jul 04, 2015 Phil Brett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really fun book but then I'm a sucker for both album covers and these type of books.

You may be interested in my blog if my favourite jazz album sleeves of the last 15 years.

Which follows blogs on the previous decades.
Rich Meyer
Jan 31, 2015 Rich Meyer rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
An interesting book, though this particular edition has text in three different languages, which is a tad annoying. There are some great pictures of a nearly-lost art form here ... though quite a few iconic covers are NOT in the book. It also might've worked better as a full-sized coffee table book, rather than a near-digest sized format. Still worth a good paging through.
Mark
Aug 02, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it
Not much to read, but it makes for a pleasant trip down memory lane. Mr Ochs introduces the various decades with a short synopsis and leaves the reader, or more correctly, the viewer to enjoy this wonderful collection of album covers.

He tries to fit similar artistic themes together, so it is not necessarily in order year by year.

Lovely and nostalgic.
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Oct 23, 2015 Gonzalo Oyanedel rated it liked it
La célebre célebre colección del estudioso musical Michael Ochs sirve de base a una hermosa galería del arte de portada en el Pop-Rock; un paseo por cuatro décadas donde la sencillez pragmática dejan lugar a riesgos y propuestas de méritos propios cuyos resultados lograron en no pocas ocasiones un estatus de clásicos.
Melissa
May 24, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
A 'totally cool' book consisting of little more than photo-facsimiles of album art showcasing the development of popular music (and thus cultural styles) in recent decades. Leafing through these pages brings a lot to mind.
David
Jan 27, 2010 David rated it it was amazing
The art of rock n roll... As a vinyl lover (but not able to enjoy since I have no working turntable currently) this book is very cool! It spans many generations of music and genres. Great coffee table style book.
Richard Gombert
Jan 01, 2017 Richard Gombert rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
while this books shows lots of covers it does not discuss them.
There are a few examples of early (1950s) cheapness and misdirection.
Also missing are many "fantastic" album covers. Covers that were bigger than the album themselves.
David Allen
Apr 30, 2012 David Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the famous to the obscure, this presents 1000 record covers, just like the title says. In a neat touch, some are paired by design elements. And it was fascinating to see how many black artists were shoved off their own record jackets to appeal to whites.
Leonard
Jul 26, 2014 Leonard rated it liked it
These record covers "cover" the 1960 s through the 1990s. I "covered" the entire book, but recognized more from the 60s than any recent time. I guess I'm just not paying as much attention as I used to.
Tuck
Sep 22, 2014 Tuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fram taschen, in english, german and french. in 3 sections more or less by theme of art, 60's 70' 80-90's, has index. has one or two covers per page.
fun. though one wonders about micheal ochs sanity.
Dustin C.
Celebrates album covers as art in their own right. Some of the best ones are pretty obscure. Taschen always hits the mark.
Mark
Mar 01, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, music
A good coffee table book, some great album covers, some not so great. Useful as a conversation strater. There is not much text to read, so just enjoy the pictures
Luana Ale
May 10, 2014 Luana Ale rated it liked it
See them all in one time: what a weird effect
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2012
Yolanda Chong
Yolanda Chong rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2017
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2007
Lisa Pohl
Lisa Pohl rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2015
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Anthony
Anthony rated it it was ok
Nov 21, 2012
Joe Machado
Joe Machado rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2013
Noemi
Noemi rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2011
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2010
This book... 1 8 Feb 11, 2008 02:33PM
  • Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll
  • Rockin' in Time: A Social History of Rock-And-Roll
  • The Pitchfork 500: Our Guide to the Greatest Songs From Punk to the Present
  • The Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock and Roll: The Definitive History of the Most Important Artists and Their Music
  • Unknown Legends of Rock 'n' Roll