Start by marking “A Son of War” as Want to Read:
A Son of War

A Son of War

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This novel takes up where Bragg's "The Soldier's Return left off, following the lives of the Richardson family from 1947 to the mid-1950s. The family is forever altered by the father's return from WWII.
Published July 7th 2004 by Arcade Publishing (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Son of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Son of War

Andrew
Whilst this was an excellently written book, as are all of the books that I have read by Melvyn Bragg, it didn't enthrall me. However, I did enjoy it and it was probably his excellent writing that kept me going. I hope there will be a sequel because it left a lot of loose ends by the time I finished. Joe, Sam's boy has a lot of troubles to conquer, still not too sure whether his problems are caused by his upbringing - Sam a scarred war veteran and Ellen his mother, who isn't sure of where she ca ...more
Ciaran Mcfadden
Decent book, but for me not as good as the first.
Well written, as one would expect from Melvyn Bragg, but tends to drag in places and at times it's hard to relate to some of the characters.
Worth reading and I'll probably buy the follow up.
Kim
Another excellent tale, this is the second book in the Richardson trilogy, following on from 'The Soldier's Return'. Sam Richardson is settling in to life back in the Cumbrian town of Wigton, having returned from fighting the Japanese in Burma in WW2. The book is a great tale of a family - Sam, his wife Ellen and son Joe - trying to re-establish themselves and their relationships. There are no murders, car crashes, villains etc., just a great tale of families coping with day-to-day situations in ...more
Dora Okeyo
I liked reading this book, and I will give two reasons why
1. Sam's boy- Joe- is quite the troublemaker- and you cannot help but wonder whether it is because his Father just returned from War- or his mother, Ellen, seems to be confused all the time and eager to please- but his adventures with Speed are quite interesting.
2. The ease of language makes this book quite interesting. You keep reading wondering what will become of Sam and his family.

One thing is for sure Sam is never the same- not after
Random
Well written, but too much colloquial usage. Long and slow; not as interesting as the first book, The Soldier's Return. A strong point is that the central characters continue to doubt the pivotal decisions made at the end of the first book - a nice touch of realism rarely found in fiction. In following that reality too far, the author fails to resolve some of the inner conflicts that arise in this book (what's wrong with Joe) - not satisfying.
Anne
Very slow reading. Life in a small town after World War II concentrating on lives of a family. This book just dragged on, and I was bored. Would not recommend unless you are a big Melvyn Bragg fan.
Joy
Second installment of a literary saga on post WWII; good, depressing
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Orna Ross
Orna Ross marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Misha
Misha marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Briony Wickenden
Briony Wickenden marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Sandra
Sandra added it
Aug 11, 2014
Vmiller
Vmiller marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Lucy F
Lucy F added it
Aug 02, 2014
michelle
michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Ildikó Szendrői
Ildikó Szendrői marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • First Light
  • Bomber Boys: Fighting Back, 1940-1945
  • Under An English Heaven
  • Seven Lies
  • Day
  • Winnie And Wolf
  • Vulcan 607: The Epic Story of the Most Remarkable British Air Attack Since WWII
  • Rates of Exchange & Why Come to Slaka?
  • The Last Fighting Tommy: The Life of Harry Patch, the Oldest Surviving Veteran of the Trenches
  • In the Fold
  • Divided Loyalties
  • Hitler and the Power of Aesthetics
  • Every Woman Knows A Secret
  • The Emperor's General
Melvyn Bragg, Baron Bragg, FRSL, FRTS (born 6 October 1939) is an English author, broadcaster and media personality who, aside from his many literary endeavours, is perhaps most recognised for his work on The South Bank Show.

Bragg is a prolific novelist and writer of non-fiction, and has written a number of television and film screenplays. Some of his early television work was in collaboration wit
More about Melvyn Bragg...
The Adventure of English: The Biography of a Language The Soldier's Return Credo Richard Burton: A Life 12 Books That Changed the World