Start by marking “This Next New Year” as Want to Read:
Preview

This Next New Year

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Celebrating the Chinese New Year

A young boy looks forward to Chinese New Year - also known as the Lunar New Year, the day of the first new moon. It is a time of hope, and you don't have to be Chinese to celebrate it! His best friend, Glenn, who is French and German, and his cousin Evelyn, part Hopi and part Mexican, like the food and the envelopes of money, while he celebr
Published September 18th 2000 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about This Next New Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Next New Year

Jessica
I have to admit that I'm giving bonus points because I was absolutely delighted when I read the line, "I call it Chinese New Year even though I'm half Korean." There are multiple ways that that makes me happy. First and foremost, I'm Chinese and my husband is Korean. So I immediately said, "I HAVE to get this for my future child!" (Though on second thought, it would be perfectly fine to just check it out from the library.) Secondly, when I was dating my husband, he used to get annoyed when I use ...more
Alesha
This New Year is a simple, but cute picture book that centers around Chinese New Year. The main character celebrates the diversity of his friends and neighbors as they all celebrate Chinese New Year in their own unique way. The friends and neighbors represent a variety of ethnicities, yet each group joins in the celebration. The main character, who is biracial (he mentions that he is half-Korean), describes traditions associated with Chinese New Year and their significance in a way that is both ...more
Meredith Bush
This is a beautifully illustrated book told through the perspective of a young Chinese and Korean boy. He guides the reader through his family celebrations for the Chinese New Year. He also states that his German friend and his Mexican friend also like to celebrate the Chinese New Year in their own family traditions. This would be a great book to use in the classroom when discussing student’s heritages and family traditions. It also teaches children about other cultures and holidays that they ma ...more
In this story, a Korean-Chinese-American boy tells us about his experiences and wishes for good luck as he plans for the Chinese New Year. Based on the author’s own experiences of celebrating the lunar New Year with both Chinese and Korean traditions, we see how one child’s family celebrates this holiday. The boy tells us about how he helps his mother as she frantically cleans the house in hopes of eliminating bad luck. He does everything he can to make himself completely clean so that he can “s ...more
Ying Lee
I have an ambivalent feeling about this book. On one hand, it introduces Chinese New Year in a easy-to-understand fashion that invites readers, especially children, to take a look at an important holiday in Chinese culture. On the other hand, I worry that this introduction might not be enough for readers to understand the meaning, rituals, and traditions of the holiday. However, I do like the following passages that are included in the book: "My best friend Glenn, who is French and German, calls ...more
Samantha
This look at Chinese or Lunar New Year is inclusive of many ethnic groups beyond Chinese. The main character is a Korean American boy and he explains the rituals he performs and why in the days leading up to the holiday.

An author's note follows the story and reveals the author to be someone who didn't fully understand the many symbols and rituals tied to Lunar New Year during childhood.

Another good read aloud on the subject for PreK-2.
Shawna
It is so important to implement other cultures into the classroom. This is a great book to read around Christmas time because in China they celebrate the Chinese new year, or Spring Festival. If you have Chinese students in your class or if you are studying other cultures that celebrate Christmas, this would be a great book to read.
Jackie
This Next New Year explains the Chinese New Year in much simpler terms with bright, colorful illustrations. This book also celebrates the diversity of the day, as many people from different cultures join together to recognize this festival.

The author's note at the end explains why the holiday falls on different days each year as they follow the lunar calendar. Each month begins on the day of the new moon and has 29 1/2 days. Chinese New Year comes every year between late January and middle Febr
Tanya
Fun read and great way to introduce Chinese New Year's to kids.
Brianna Boyce
This book would be great to read during Chinese New Years. Since we are unable to spend New Years with our students, we can have a big Chinese New Years together.
Lillian Mui
This book is about a boy who is half Korean, half Chinese. Throughout the book, the reader is introduced to traditions a Chinese family might do for Chinese New Year. Great foreign holiday introduction to students, while they can see that this family is rather normal. The main character has friends from all different heritages, and the book shows their perspectives on Chinese New Year also. Positive portrayal of the culture.
Audrey Evans
Janet Wong does an incredible job of teaching students about Chinese traditions using her own experiences to disprove stereotypes. She sheds light on the reasons why individuals of Chinese descent take part in certain traditions and rituals rather than mentioning them in passing. A great book to teach students about the traditions of a culture different from their own.
Kristen Dota
This Next New Year is a wonderful book that tells the story about a young Chinese family getting ready for the Chinese New Year. This books explains the different things they do, and even shares different cultures throughout the book. The author ties in some Chinese words to familiarize the reader. This book would be an excellent one to have in the classroom!
Ina
Wonderful illustrations and simple text explain all the traditions of Lunar New Year which is different than "the regular new year, January 1" The young boy who narrates the story also talks about the many ways his friends celebrate Lunar New Year - Like his best friend Glenn, who is French and German - and celebrates by eating take-out Thai food.
Kristine Hall
Great story with vibrant illustrations that explains the Chinese New Year, and the traditional activities surrounding it. I really liked how the story showed how people of all cultures enjoy the celebration and how one young boy views the meaning of Chinese New Year. Everyone enjoys a fresh start and a clean slate when the Chinese New Year begins!
Haley
This book incorporated the Chinese New Year and Chinese culture in an accurate portray that was not exclusive. It showed non-Chinese children participating in the New Year activities. It creates a segway into learning about other cultures and talking about the differences in a positive way and how to participate and respect other cultures.
Bethany Livengood
This Next New Year tells the story of Lunar New Year. It has bright illustrations and is told from many different perspectives. The young boy who narrates the story talks about his friends celebrate it in different ways. Great book to read to students to show diversity and encourage appreciation for other cultures.
Elaine
What a sweet book. A little boy finally comes to realize the importance of the lunar new year. His painstaking preparation to recieve the new year and all it has to offer is quite refreshing to watch. His hope for a new year better thant he last reminds me of all the things I hope for each and every December 31st.
Kristen Futrell
Ensuring your classroom is adequately incorporating culture, this book would be helpful in discussing how other cultures celebrate New Years. It can be used to introduce the idea that now everyone has the same customs as Americans, and how they are celebrated differently.
Krista Dean
I enjoyed reading this book and think it would be a good selection for a read aloud. Not only does it introduce different cultures but it talks about the Chinese new year which would be fun for students to study and to discuss their own traditions and beliefs.
Christina Schmitt
Janet Wong's books are a great great way to incorporate diversity in the classroom. This Next New Year sows an accurate depiction of the Chinese New Year, and would be great to use with children in the classroom.
Cressalyn Davis
This author loves to talk about different family styles. I loved see this side of of different family styles. This book shows how several families celebrate the New Year.
Emily Carstenbrock
A wonderful and accurate depiction of how the Chinese New Year is celebrated. This would be a great tool to use for teaching diversity and culture!
Joseph Saborio
The story of a boy getting ready for the lunar new year. A decent read, especially for children who have had no exposure to the holiday.
Britta Sjoberg
Janet Wong is an excellent author and her books are a great way to incorporate the Asian culture into the classroom.
Dolly
Aug 31, 2008 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading to their children
Tale about Chinese New Year; our girls liked the pictures, but the narrative wasn't very engaging.
M
This book has good cultural details.
Crissy
Crissy added it
Mar 05, 2015
Pbj
Pbj marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Janet S. Wong was born in Los Angeles, and grew up in Southern and Northern California. As part of her undergraduate program at UCLA, she spent her junior year in France, studying art history at the Université de Bordeaux. When she returned from France, Janet founded the UCLA Immigrant Children's Art Project, a program focused on teaching refugee children to express themselves through art.

After gr
More about Janet S. Wong...
The Dumpster Diver A Suitcase of Seaweed and Other Poems Apple Pie Fourth of July Minn and Jake You Have to Write